Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And, seeing as how the process of removing Stines from his position could take up to six months... it's very possible you're correct. If he qualifies, and Miller continues to represent him... why not try to keep money and benefits.

I keep waffling on every aspect of this case.
Yeah, I'm thinking he'll hang on until absolutely forced out of office. I think it would be beneficial for the county to have a clean break without the drama and uncertainty that is happening now, but not sure he will do anything to avoid that.

jmo

ADMIN NOTE:

Sometimes rumors prove to be true, other times they don't. You want to discuss rumors, Websleuths is not the place to do that.

Next member who alludes to or tries to introduce rumors into this discussion gets a 1 week Thread Ban.

Yes, I understand that possibility. I've been watching crimes for a long time and have seen many scenarios play out, lol!
You asked why there would be no trial. There would be no trial if the sheriff pleads guilty, or a plea deal is reached.

And of course the fifth does not just apply to the sheriff. I used “(the sheriff)” as a referent in my post because there were two possible antecedents.

You asked why there would be no trial. There would be no trial if the sheriff pleads guilty, or a plea deal is reached.

And of course the fifth does not just apply to the sheriff. I used “(the sheriff)” as a referent in my post because there were two possible antecedents.
I thought you were alluding to some deal that would be made where he wouldn't be charged with murder because there was some other investigation going on. I misunderstood.

jmo

So my county had a case somewhat similar with one of our former sheriffs, that I had forgotten about. Our ex-sheriff did NOT kill anyone (the charges were hand-in-the-cookie-jar type stuff) but he also refused to resign, and from what I've gleaned from articles written at the time his case did indeed have to be finished and disposed before they were able to officially fire him. Now, I'm not in KY, but I'm in extreme SE Ohio across the river, and I'm wondering if that might be at least a regional thing when sheriffs go wild, so to speak. MOO, OMO, IMO, ABC, XYZ, etc.

Stines was deposed on Monday in a lawsuit filed by two women, one of whom alleged that a deputy forced her to have sex inside Mullins’ chambers for six months in exchange for staying out of jail. The lawsuit accuses the sheriff of “deliberate indifference in failing to adequately train and supervise” the deputy.

The now-former deputy sheriff, Ben Fields, pleaded guilty to raping the female prisoner while she was on home incarceration. Fields was sentenced this year to six months in jail and then six and a half years on probation for rape, sodomy, perjury and tampering with a prisoner monitoring device, The Mountain Eagle reported. Three charges related to a second woman were dismissed because she is now dead.
No wonder the sheriff might be thinking he'll get off completely for a single murder charge. . . seriously, 6 MONTHS???? rape, sodomy, perjury and tampering with a prisoner monitoring device -- all those charges and 6 months in jail? That's outrageous -- IMO Plus, why wasn't "abuse of power" a charge? and probably tons of others I'd never think of. Good grief.

ET fix spelling

Last edited:
So my county had a case somewhat similar with one of our former sheriffs, that I had forgotten about. Our ex-sheriff did NOT kill anyone (the charges were hand-in-the-cookie-jar type stuff) but he also refused to resign, and from what I've gleaned from articles written at the time his case did indeed have to be finished and disposed before they were able to officially fire him. Now, I'm not in KY, but I'm in extreme SE Ohio across the river, and I'm wondering if that might be at least a regional thing when sheriffs go wild, so to speak. MOO, OMO, IMO, ABC, XYZ, etc.
Well, I live in a city where the mayor was just indicated on federal charges and is not leaving office (yet). It happens in all regions, imo.

jmo

Stines was deposed on Monday in a lawsuit filed by two women, one of whom alleged that a deputy forced her to have sex inside Mullins’ chambers for six months in exchange for staying out of jail. The lawsuit accuses the sheriff of “deliberate indifference in failing to adequately train and supervise” the deputy.

The now-former deputy sheriff, Ben Fields, pleaded guilty to raping the female prisoner while she was on home incarceration. Fields was sentenced this year to six months in jail and then six and a half years on probation for rape, sodomy, perjury and tampering with a prisoner monitoring device, The Mountain Eagle reported. Three charges related to a second woman were dismissed because she is now dead.
Bbm.
Thanks for the link !

Regarding the bolded; what oddly "generalized" and casual wording, imo, for such severe criminal acts.
A person shouldn't need 'adequate training and supervision' , to know that assaulting another is wrong !
Smh.
And by a deputy sheriff no less, whom people look up to.
What a betrayal for the community.

Also from above link : ".... since the lead county prosecutor, Matt Butler, recused himself and his office. Butler said he and the judge married two sisters, and their children act like siblings...".

Close-knit families and town, as in everyone -- sort of -- knowing each other ?
So many lives shattered.
Omo.

Last edited:
No wonder the sheriff might be thinking he'll get off completely for a single murder charge. . . seriously, 6 MONTHS???? rape, sodomy, perjury and tampering with a prisoner monitoring device -- all those charges and 6 months in jail? That's outrageous -- IMO Plus, why wasn't "abuse of power" a charge? and probably tons of others I'd never think of. Good grief.

ET fix spelling
Bbm.
Esp. the bolded.
Omo.

I appreciate that perspective, and I think it is a valid interpretation. But I’m leaning towards the idea that the Sheriff eliminated a witness to something when he killed the judge. And he (the sheriff) can plead the fifth to anything he might be accused of. So, if there is some sort of federal investigation going on, the evidence would be entirely circumstantial. If there is no trial for the killing of the judge, there is limited discovery and no testimony on the record that can facilitate any other investigation. My thought is that the sheriff is banking on being able to save face in some other matter, take his licks for the killing of the judge, and not bankrupt his family.

Eta: all imo
Interesting scenario, makes sense. I’m having difficulty though coming up with what that “saving face” matter could be. As everyone keeps repeating, he blew up his entire life as well as his families. What is possibly be worth that price? Does his wife know or did this take her by storm too?

ET fix spelling
I was shocked by how lax the sentence was as well? I’ve seen other LE officers who were convicted of the same crimes in other states sentenced to fifteen years. Who was the Judge in that case, I’d like to do some research.

ET fix spelling

It's a disgrace!

I hope no one attempted to remove him from the sex offender registry! (not that it's even possible).

I was shocked by how lax the sentence was as well? I’ve seen other LE officers who were convicted of the same crimes in other states sentenced to fifteen years. Who was the Judge in that case, I’d like to do some research.

Former Letcher County Sheriff’s Deputy Ben Fields was sentenced to seven years in prison.

Pike County Circuit Court Judge Eddy Coleman delivered the sentencing on Thursday.

Fields faces consecutive sentences for rape and sodomy adding up to seven years

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carzytoaster
Back