Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
One interesting thing to know would be if Stines had ever shot someone in the line of duty. There are plenty of reasons why he may have of course so I don't think it would say anything about his character. But it would probably tell us a little about his headspace both before and after the shooting of Mullins.

I'd also be interested in any disciplinary record from his time as a deputy.

Wilhoit appointed Miller to defend Stines at the next hearing iLetcher County Sheriff Shawn “Mickey” Stines had his first court appearance Wednesday morning, following his arrest for last week’s shooting death of Letcher District Judge Kevin D. Mullins.

Stines had a virtual arraignment before a Carter District judge on a charge of murder in the first degree. A not guilty plea was entered on his behalf, since you cannot plead guilty to a felony in district court.

The Kentucky State Police is investigating the case. Jackie Steele, the Commonwealth’s Attorney for Knox and Laurel counties, and Deputy Executive Director of the Attorney General’s Special Prosecutions Unit Ramsey Dallam will prosecute the case on behalf of the Commonwealth.

Here's the page that lists the attorney who appeared with Stines this week:
1727499049858.png

Here is info about the prosecuting team, Jackie Steele & Ramsey Dallam.
1727499354458.png

1727499615002.png

What the hell happened here?? I do not have time currently, unfortunately, to read 36 pages. Can someone give me a synopsis?
Sheriff and judge, small town of 1700 people, apparently good long term friends, had a private conversation in the judge's chambers, where the sheriff proceeded calmly to shoot the judge eight times before surrendering.

We have no idea why.

MOO

Why would he. That stops the paychecks and benefits for his family. I admit that I thought he would but I think I was wrong.
The removal process is pretty straight forward as it's not the first time a Sheriff needed to be removed. Typically people complain and then it's up to the Governor to take action which can take long. But if the Governor wants him out, it just takes scheduling a hearing and some paperwork. In the mean time, since he's not performing his duty, case law allows the court to hire a private security agency and guess who pays for it? IMO I don't see how not resigning helps him in this case

So here is something I am wondering. The sheriff said he was planning to retire when his term ends in 2026. He will be about 46 years old. What was he going to live off of? Sure, after 20+ years as a sheriff he could have decent retirement savings. But most of that time was as a deputy making $40,000 per year. Even though they did not have a mortgage and his wife may work, it's hard to believe they had enough saved to retire. I realize that he may have just meant retiring from being a sheriff and had a post-LE career planned.
RBBM
You answered your own question. That seems most likely to me.

RBBM
You answered your own question. That seems most likely to me.
By all accounts, he was a well liked local official who seemed to be successful in his position. Do we know if he planned to retire before the mess with his deputy happened? Or was that a tipping point for him?

No wonder the sheriff might be thinking he'll get off completely for a single murder charge. . . seriously, 6 MONTHS???? rape, sodomy, perjury and tampering with a prisoner monitoring device -- all those charges and 6 months in jail? That's outrageous -- IMO Plus, why wasn't "abuse of power" a charge? and probably tons of others I'd never think of. Good grief.

ET fix spelling
Just keep in mind that the judge and sheriff are the law in that county. I know I wouldn't want to be on a jury trying that case. That's my opinion only. This is a county with a very small population.

I agree with you. I was shocked by the sentence.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redjanmarie
Back