Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You are correct, it is a pension plan.
This is the 2023 Audit...

LETCHER COUNTY
NOTES TO FINANCIAL STATEMENT
December 31, 2022
(Continued)

Note 2. Employee Retirement System and Other Post-Employment Benefits
The sheriff’s office has elected to participate, pursuant to KRS 78.530, in the County Employees Retirement
System (CERS), which is administered by the Kentucky Public Pensions Authority (KPPA). This is a cost-
sharing, multiple-employer, defined benefit pension plan, which covers all eligible full-time employees and
provides for retirement, disability, and death benefits to plan members. Benefit contributions and provisions are
established by statute.
The sheriff’s contribution for calendar year 2020 was $100,380, calendar year 2021 was $85,122, and calendar
year 2022 was $70,744.
Can’t load the attachment. Isn’t his salary $115k/year? Why are his contributions so high? Is that including the County’s contribution also?

Nooo ! Really ?? (Jk)
Smh.
Even if by chance Stines was found not guilty, his days as a LEO are pretty much over.
Was it worth it ? (minor sarcasm intended) :rolleyes:
No one has the right to take the law into their own hands, not even a sheriff.
With more power he had greater responsibility and as such should be judged more harshly, Imo.
Omo.
He was retiring anyway. I am not judging the man until I hear the motive.

Nooo ! Really ?? (Jk)
Smh.
Even if by chance Stines was found not guilty, his days as a LEO are pretty much over.
Was it worth it ? (minor sarcasm intended) :rolleyes:
No one has the right to take the law into their own hands, not even a sheriff.
With more power he had greater responsibility and as such should be judged more harshly, Imo.
Omo.
Especially a sheriff.
The agreement of people to have police at all, is that they wont take justice into their own hands with its endless feuds and retributions.

Stines is in Tier 1 based on when he joined the sheriff's department as a deputy. He is entitled to a pension of Final Compensation * Benefit Factor * Years of Service = $115,000 * 2.50% * 22 = $63,250 per year for life starting now when he is 43. That assumes he is in the police retirement system. If he is in the regular retirement system the 2.50% changes to 2.49% so he would make $62,997. They also pay most of his insurance for him, wife, and daughter.

He is eligible for full retirement because he would be in the hazardous category and had completed more than 20 years of service.

Where did you see that he listed a 401(k) as an asset? That would not make any sense. As a public employee he would not be eligible for one.
not the OP but someone the other day found audit docs from the county that showed his contributions to a 401K type retirement fund. That info is probably several pages back now.

He was retiring anyway. I am not judging the man until I hear the motive.
I'm not judging anyone in this specific case.
The courts will decide that.
Just making a generalized point concerning those who wield more authority over the rest of the population.

Agreed re. wanting to know more about the motive.
It's still hard to imagine a valid reason to take another person's life.
That is why we have a justice system.
Sheriff Stines could have let the system work in the way it was intended to do so.
Imo.
Omo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vonna1980!