Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe as an upholder of the law, he somehow saw it as his right to dispense justice.
yeah, which is intriguing in itself as the lawsuit I shared has him and one of his deputies named and (allegedly) doing the exact opposite of that. Claims that he knew of abuse taking place in the Judgeme chambers and failed to investigate it

I hope MS never leaves jail. If this is what he does when he thinks he has been wronged, surely his family & friends must be afraid of what he might do if he should decide someone else has crossed him. Supposedly Judge Mullins was a coworker & friend. We see how that worked out for Judge Mullins.

I do wonder if DV was an issue in the sheriff's own home? Marital problems? Possible separation/divorce? And, like already mentioned, I wonder if drugs (illegal, OTC, or rx) played a part in the weight loss &/or vindictive rage thinking he seemed to have.

Sitting in jail for the rest of his life is where he needs to be.

MOO.

I hope MS never leaves jail. If this is what he does when he thinks he has been wronged, surely his family & friends must be afraid of what he might do if he should decide someone else has crossed him. Supposedly Judge Mullins was a coworker & friend. We see how that worked out for Judge Mullins.

I do wonder if DV was an issue in the sheriff's own home? Marital problems? Possible separation/divorce? And, like already mentioned, I wonder if drugs (illegal, OTC, or rx) played a part in the weight loss &/or vindictive rage thinking he seemed to have.

Sitting in jail for the rest of his life is where he needs to be.

MOO.

earlier when I was trying to nap ...
all I could think about was this case
and quite a few hairbrained ideas came to mind :D
(you know the ones that seem brilliant when you're tired)
but one that your comment reminded me of was ... the quick weight loss could be him taking ozempic
cause it's all the craze now for weight loss and maybe all the side effects aren't known yet
maybe it made him paranoid or maybe it caused already existing anger issues to explode
people are reporting mental health side effects and there's already class action suits
or like you said, other rx could have played a role in his behaviour changes

The complaint (and amended complaint) in the lawsuit where 2 individuals were suing him (Stines) & one of his deputies is a really wild read. I’m attaching two portions of it, but this document can be found on PACER or Court listener by searching the Case number of 7:22-cv-00007-REW-EBA

During these meetings Defendant Fields' behavior escalated from flirtatious comments to forcible kissing, to oral sex, to intercourse with Sabrina, all of which
occurred at the Letcher County Courthouse after hours, in Judge Mullins' Chambers (hereinafter the "sexual abuse").
” -and-

Upon information and belief Defendant Fields and other Letcher County Deputy
Sheriffs were aware of these allegations related to Sabrina in early December 2021. Upon information and belief Defendant Stines knew or should have known about these allegations related to Sabrina on or before early December 2021
.”

I haven’t a clue how these allegations could be connecting to the “kidnap” comment shared in the hearing today though. JMOO.
I don't think there's any justification for execution, but stating that Stines "should have known" about the SA is squirrelly. He definitely should have known, but without proof that he witnessed something or someone told him, it's pretty irrelevant. JMO.

I doubt he has a pension. The County probably offers a percentage match for a 401k. He listed a 401k as an asset.
Moo
Most governments (local, city, state) offer pension plans. Set up a little differently than traditional pensions, you have a guaranteed payment after 5 years of service and you’re fully vested and can retire after 20 years. I currently work for a large city Human Services office and I (thankfully) have a pension plan and so do all full time employees. In the state of Virginia, I am not sure about all states, you can transfer your years of service between any government agency.
Also, from my experience, the whole clause about not getting a pension if you commit a job related felony, was created for employees who were found to be embezzling and/or committing fraud. In that case, the employer reserves the right to collect what you stole from your retirement. This is fairly standard for all government agencies and, like Kentucky, there are employees who have different policies and leave, etc. if they have been employed since before 2000-ish. The newer hires still have excellent benefits but there were some extra stipulations written in to protect the government agencies.
MOO but I highly doubt that the sheriff’s retirement will be at risk here. Even if he’s locked up for life, he should still be able to sign a POA or something so that his family can access his savings. And if he’s been employed over 20 years he won’t have to give any of the employer contributions back.
MOO

I do know for a fact that if you have to go to a county office that is inside a courthouse building, you do have to go through the metal detectors.

I had to do this when I had to go to the courthouse to change the real estate ownership on property tax records.
There are no metal detectors at the courthouse where this occurred.

I am more than concerned about the investigators within the KSP. ETA: They should have taken the daughter's phone.

jmo
The articles said they have 3 phones in custody and are analyzing them regarding this case. My guess:

1. Sheriff’s
2. Judge’s
3. Sheriff’s UNDERAGE high school daughter

MOO

I don't think there's any justification for execution, but stating that Stines "should have known" about the SA is squirrelly. He definitely should have known, but without proof that he witnessed something or someone told him, it's pretty irrelevant. JMO.
It really doesn't matter whether he knew or not or if he even guarded the door. He is NOT being sued personally. He is being sued in his official capacity. That is stated right in the caption of the complaint. At worst he could have been removed from office for misfeasance and that is a length he process. He was planning to retire anyway and was not running for re-election.He really had no skin in the game so he had nothing to worry about. Any "anger" he had at the deposition probably had more to do with seeing an obvious money grab on county finances.

The articles said they have 3 phones in custody and are analyzing them regarding this case. My guess:

1. Sheriff’s
2. Judge’s
3. Sheriff’s UNDERAGE high school daughter

MOO
No they have a cell phone from some one who who turned it over to them having over heard part of a lunch at the courthouse that day conversation .

IMO The only reason for them not having taken daughter’s phone:

Mother and daughter were able to corroborate the fact they had been speaking to Mullins about Stine’s declining mental health,, etc. and perhaps he had been advising them as a longtime family friend, to leave him.

Supporting him in court because they still love him is not out of the question.

jmo

So what's the next step? He was bound over for the grand jury so presumably they need to indict him then his case moves to the circuit court for prosecution. Are there more hearings to be expected?

IMO The only reason for them not having taken daughter’s phone:

Mother and daughter were able to corroborate the fact they had been speaking to Mullins about Stine’s declining mental health,, etc. and perhaps he had been advising them as a longtime family friend, to leave him.

Supporting him in court because they still love him is not out of the question.

jmo
What good would it do to seize the daughter's phone? They would not be able to get a search warrant on it because she is not suspected of a crime. She also told them what the content of her conversations with the judge were. That was stated in open court today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavakaga
Back