Identified! KS – Unidentified Child Remains found buried in backyard in Rose Hill, Sept. 11, 2024 *Kennedy Jean Schroer, 6*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
On Tuesday, KAKE News contacted Christa Helm, who lives in Salina. She says the remains found are those of her biological daughter.

"Children that are biologically related to Ms. Helm had been residing at the home," Parlier confirmed.

Helm said that investigators took her DNA for the investigation. Police say they are waiting on DNA test results in the case to help identify the child.

Parlier said that investigators are taking their time in this case to make sure they have all their facts straight before making any potential arrests

The Rose Hill Police Department has identified the child found buried in the backyard of a home as 6-year-old Kennedy Jean Schroer.

Police said Kennedy was born on July 14, 2014, and adopted by Crystina and Joe Schroer in November 2018. She is believed to have died in late 2020

The police say the adopted parents are cooperating. How much or in what capacity or whether under the advisement of an attorney is not mentioned in articles. While LE hasn't yet officially confirmed the adoptive parents are POIs we all can connect the dots and are well aware of where their focus is.

On Tuesday, KAKE News contacted Christa Helm, who lives in Salina. She says the remains found are those of her biological daughter.

"Children that are biologically related to Ms. Helm had been residing at the home," Parlier confirmed.

Helm said that investigators took her DNA for the investigation. Police say they are waiting on DNA test results in the case to help identify the child.

Parlier said that investigators are taking their time in this case to make sure they have all their facts straight before making any potential arrests

The Rose Hill Police Department has identified the child found buried in the backyard of a home as 6-year-old Kennedy Jean Schroer.

Police said Kennedy was born on July 14, 2014, and adopted by Crystina and Joe Schroer in November 2018. She is believed to have died in late 2020
So is Kennedy not this womans child? She said her three children that were in that home were Natalie, Ashton, and Rickie. Well I guess they could have renamed her?

We understand that many in the public might be confused how an arrest in this case has not been made, that is completely understandable. What we would like to convey is that we have one chance to gather as much information as possible, to find out what happened to this child and to tell her story. While we understand the desire to hold persons accountable, we need to get this correct and not fast. Releasing too much information might appear to implicate a person or persons who were not involved, so in our search for the truth we need to equally work to protect peoples’ rights. This investigation is ongoing.

1727474580856.png
Officers, Detectives, surrounding law enforcement agencies, social workers, mental health professionals and many others are hard at work to find answers. What we can assure everyone interested in this case, Kennedy is the center of our Universe and will remain so until we have answers.

So is Kennedy not this womans child? She said her three children that were in that home were Natalie, Ashton, and Rickie. Well I guess they could have renamed her?

[…]
Christa Helm told KSN that she is certain that the remains belong to one of her three children who were adopted five years ago.

Parlier confirmed to PEOPLE that Helm had three biological children in the home and that she had lost her parental rights “sometime earlier," but did not confirm the timeline.

While authorities have not identified the child, Helm started a [donation site] for legal expenses to retrieve her two other children from the home, and identified the daughter she believes to be deceased as Natalie.
BBM, looks like you're right that the adoptive family renamed her. Natalie is a beautiful name. :(

Honestly, if the child died in 2020, that would've been right at the height of the COVID pandemic. I wouldn't be shocked if she got sick from that and they covered up her death.
There would be no reason to hide that. Not enough income in the world to hide that. This is going to be something horrific. Like Blake, London, Oakley, Harmony, Karreon, all the children who had CPS in their lives when covid hit, and proof positive how they failed kids during it
I saw firsthand how they dropped cases and reunified with violent addict parents, so I kow for a fact it happened. They stopped cold during covid and it's only now that the bodies are coming up.
There will be so many more, I have been saying this for 5 years now.

ETA I have seen them fail too many kids and families, but I need to say I am not talking about the case workers, who absolutely do care, it's the institution itself that I don't like - I don't fault CPS staff. They try so damn hard.

Last edited:

"We understand that many in the public might be confused how an arrest in this case has not been made, that is completely understandable, Parlier stated in a media release.

"What we would like to convey is that we have one chance to gather as much information as possible, to find out what happened to this child and to tell her story. While we understand the desire to hold persons accountable, we need to get this correct and not fast. Releasing too much information might appear to implicate a person or persons who were not involved, so in our search for the truth we need to equally work to protect peoples’ rights."

"She was a really sweet girl,” said Helm.

She says she lost custody of her three children in 2018. The girls' foster family, Joe and Crystina Schroer from Rose Hill adopted them in 2019. Helm says that, at the time, she disagreed with how the state handled the case.

"I had family there. Their dad had family there willing to take the kids. Nobody wanted to give them the opportunity and they shoved them in these people's house, like immediately and wanted to keep them there. It was all weird from the beginning to me why wouldn't they want to place them with family is what I was thinking the whole time,” said Helm.

Before relinquishing custody to the state, Helm says she remembers spending lots of time in parks in Salina with her daughters. She remembers that time fondly.

"She was a good girl, she was a happy baby. Her first word was thank you and then it was pizza because she loved to eat,” said Helm.

no, I don't think that is the issue. I get the same result when trying to follow direct links to FB content and I am stateside. Used to work fine but the past month no such luck. @perfectingpink , could you give the date of the article on FB post you are trying to highlight from KCTV5? TIA

So the suspected deceased child's siblings were still in that home when this discovery occurred. Poor kids, I wonder where they were told the other child went when they suddenly disappeared from the home?? And the fact their sibling has likely been literally beneath their feet as they played in the backyard chasing fireflies . . . no words for how disturbing that is.
Do you still need this?

When I posted the links, one was a mobile (m.) and the other I removed the (m.). But today I was chosen to look more looney tunes than I actually am which is pretty Daffy Duck.

Christa Helm, Kennedy's biological mother, speaking on-air with KSN.

Christa Helm, Kennedy’s biological mother, speaking on-air with KSN.
The department says releasing too much information may appear to implicate some people who were not involved. Police said that Kennedy’s adoptive parents have been forthcoming with investigators so far.

Christa Helm, who claims to be Kennedy’s biological mother, told KSN that she lost custody of her three daughters in 2018, and that they were all taken in by the Schroers in 2019.

“The state of Kansas has failed my kids, and I want them to get the proper therapy and love they need from their real family, where they belong,” Helm told KSN.

Kennedy prior to her adoption in 2019.

Helm had hoped that her children would have a chance to pursue a better life outside her custody and is still trying to rationalize how things could have gone so wrong.

This is just MOO, but when states (like Kansas) pay families to adopt special-needs kids, or foster them, there is an element of risk that the family may do so for financial gain.

I don't know if that happened here, but there are too many stories where these children don't get the loving homes they came to expect.

Being part of a sibling group that needs to be placed together is considered special needs in Kansas. I understand states wanting to offer incentives in order to place special needs children, but they really should follow up more closely.

Little Natalie (I prefer her birth name) fell through the cracks. How is it possible she died 3-4 years ago and no one ever checked on her whereabouts?

Just awful!

This is completely my own theory but I’m thinking that it’s possible the foster parents weren’t the culprits.
They adopted several children, fostered, and had biological children.
There are two theories in which I think they may not be the murderer(s). The first is that the death was accidental but negligent. They panicked that her death would put the custody of their other children in jeopardy. (I think this is the least plausible, but not completely out of the realm of possibility)

The other theory is that one of the older children was involved in her death and the parents covered it up to protect said child. There were so many people in that house at time, some of whom are now adults, so they would’ve been much bigger than little Natalie/Kennedy. With the amount of kids with trauma history in the house, I could see the possibility of one of them doing something that would harm her.

Once again just theories but trying to look at all the angles and the latest article did say the adoptive “parents” were cooperating so I’m hoping that she wasn’t another Adam Herrman, subjected to years of abuse first.

This is so suspicious. CPS always tries to find a family member willing to take the child before adopting out to strangers. I'm concerned.

Some foster kids get kicked out at 18 because the reimbursement drops down at that age. Foster "parents" literally kick out the old and bring in a younger foster kid because they bring more money into the house. Love was never the point, just passive income.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trailerguy68
Back