KS KS - Adam Herrman, 11, Towanda, 1999

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Adam went missing some time in 1999, right? His last credible siting was at a Super Bowl Party, so that would be January. The UID you have listed was discovered 1998, if I am reading this correctly.

Yep thanks for picking that up believe :) someone posted the link..I thought it was worth a good look at ..
Shame another child tossed away and no one knows who he is :(

I just wanted to throw in my $0.02. I haven't posted in a while, not since the last big Kansas mystery. This one however, hits a little closer to home. I actually went to high school in Towanda, so I know this area well. I'm a lot older than Adam so I don't have any input on him, but I can tell you that the idea that a child could "run away" from Towanda and get very far (with out help) is a bit ridiculous. Towanda is at least 8 miles from civilization on all sides. The town has less than 1,000 people...it's a gossipy little town - I just don't think this kid could've run away repeatedly without anyone knowing about it.
I do know a lot of people in the area do tend to have a more of a "it's not my business" attitude when it comes to actually doing anything about something - but there would have been gossip.
I can say, I have met the adoptive mother on multiple occasions (thru a former job of mine) and all I can say is that she's an odd duck.

I just wanted to throw in my $0.02. I haven't posted in a while, not since the last big Kansas mystery. This one however, hits a little closer to home. I actually went to high school in Towanda, so I know this area well. I'm a lot older than Adam so I don't have any input on him, but I can tell you that the idea that a child could "run away" from Towanda and get very far (with out help) is a bit ridiculous. Towanda is at least 8 miles from civilization on all sides. The town has less than 1,000 people...it's a gossipy little town - I just don't think this kid could've run away repeatedly without anyone knowing about it.
I do know a lot of people in the area do tend to have a more of a "it's not my business" attitude when it comes to actually doing anything about something - but there would have been gossip.
I can say, I have met the adoptive mother on multiple occasions (thru a former job of mine) and all I can say is that she's an odd duck.

Neechi than you so much for your input

And Missacorah based on what Neechi says your pyschic link you found could be spot on
Also the psychic says to search for the eye glasses ( spectacles ) in a lock box

From what the Psychic dreamed Adam was beaten to death :(

I hold out no hope that Adam is alive sadly :(

That is very interesting! Thank you so much for your personal insight. Keep us posted if you hear anything else. I would love to hear more about his mom.

While I don't necessarily have a strong feeling either way about Psychics - I'm kind of skeptical of this particular theory. By all accounts and from what I personally know of the family, I don't see the father doing anything other than try to cover for something his wife did. Also, not sure where the idea of Montana comes in...that would be a long way to drive with a body. Now if you look purely from the abstract...there is a man made lake in the town East of Towanda (El Dorado) that has a dam. So - not really sure what to make of that assessment. I would agree that I don't think this will have a happy ending, if it ever has an ending.

As far as the mother goes....disconnected would be the best word I could describe her with. She always seemed nice enough, but always a bit detached to the world around her. In my dealings with her she always kind of seemed to make mountains out of molehills - or wanted to. Someone on a board, it might have been this one or truecrimereport, I can't remember and too much to scroll thru...(yes I'm lazy) mentioned Munchausen's and I would say that idea might have a bit of truth to it.

While I don't necessarily have a strong feeling either way about Psychics - I'm kind of skeptical of this particular theory. By all accounts and from what I personally know of the family, I don't see the father doing anything other than try to cover for something his wife did. Also, not sure where the idea of Montana comes in...that would be a long way to drive with a body. Now if you look purely from the abstract...there is a man made lake in the town East of Towanda (El Dorado) that has a dam. So - not really sure what to make of that assessment. I would agree that I don't think this will have a happy ending, if it ever has an ending.

As far as the mother goes....disconnected would be the best word I could describe her with. She always seemed nice enough, but always a bit detached to the world around her. In my dealings with her she always kind of seemed to make mountains out of molehills - or wanted to. Someone on a board, it might have been this one or truecrimereport, I can't remember and too much to scroll thru...(yes I'm lazy) mentioned Munchausen's and I would say that idea might have a bit of truth to it.

I thought it might help you guys to get an idea of the area...

Here's a little map that shows the mobile home park in relation to other towns in the area. Keep in mind that about 90% of the land around these towns would be farm land.

Mapofarea.png

I have tried to post this 3 times now and it has not gone through, so please forgive me if it suddenly posts all three!

First, Hello to neechi who must be a neighbor of sorts, as I live near Andover.

Regarding the psychic's notes on the link provided earlier on this thread, I don't usually pay much attention to that sort of thing. HOWEVER, this one surprised me with its connections, as there is a WARSAW, MISSOURI (not MONTANA as in the psychic's notes). This town is only a 5 or 6 hour drive from Towanda, KS... straight east on Highway 254, into Missouri and turn north for a few miles! I went to google maps to check my own recollections, and found that the map the psychic posted IS the map of Warsaw MISSOURI and not of Warsaw, MONTANA.... I'm not sure if there even IS a Warsaw in Montana. The confusion may be due to the post office abbreviation which is MO for Missouri.

WEIRDER still is that in the Warsaw MISSOURI area there are 10 locations for a lumber company called HERRMAN LUMBER and it is spelled exactly as the Herrman family spells their name!

I have tried to post this 3 times now and it has not gone through, so please forgive me if it suddenly posts all three!

First, Hello to neechi who must be a neighbor of sorts, as I live near Andover.

Regarding the psychic's notes on the link provided earlier on this thread, I don't usually pay much attention to that sort of thing. HOWEVER, this one surprised me with its connections, as there is a WARSAW, MISSOURI (not MONTANA as in the psychic's notes). This town is only a 5 or 6 hour drive from Towanda, KS... straight east on Highway 254, into Missouri and turn north for a few miles! I went to google maps to check my own recollections, and found that the map the psychic posted IS the map of Warsaw MISSOURI and not of Warsaw, MONTANA.... I'm not sure if there even IS a Warsaw in Montana. The confusion may be due to the post office abbreviation which is MO for Missouri.

WEIRDER still is that in the Warsaw MISSOURI area there are 10 locations for a lumber company called HERRMAN LUMBER and it is spelled exactly as the Herrman family spells their name!

Hi raeann, I grew up in Benton - so very close to your neck of the woods.

I think you might be right that the Psychic meant Warsaw, Missouri - when you pull up the google map for that area - it's the same as the picture on his blog. So I'm assuming he was meaning the Truman dam, then?

Hi raeann, I grew up in Benton - so very close to your neck of the woods.

I think you might be right that the Psychic meant Warsaw, Missouri - when you pull up the google map for that area - it's the same as the picture on his blog. So I'm assuming he was meaning the Truman dam, then?

This would be an interesting area for the great sleuthers here to pursue...I am not one who is good at it, or has the time or patience to follow up too much! I did find that there are people in the Warsaw area with the last name of Bush which is the adoptive mother's maiden name. The reason this all sort of gives me chills is the mother's statement to a relative that "they can dig up the whole state of KANSAS and they won't find a body" .... well, then, perhaps the next best place to look would be MISSOURI????????

This is from way out of left field, but sometimes that's just how my brain works :p

I was trying to do a little research on the father's masonry company. It's called Herrman & Son Masonry. Well, I stumbled on a forum for people in the masonry business. If this is in fact the same Doug Herrman (which I think it likely is). I know that Adam had two younger siblings that were adopted by the Herrmans as well, I know for a fact one of them is a girl, not sure about the other one - so this maybe be Adam's little brother he's referring to and not mean anything...so take this as a grain of salt and conjecture! :)

"10-14-2008, 11:43 AM #11
dougbrickman
dougbrickman
Trade: I am a licened Masonry contractor

dougbrickman
congratulations!! watch out they grow so fast! before you know it he will want to be out there with a trowel in his hand wanting to put some bricks in the wall. I remember when my first son was born 28 years ago i didn't want him to became a brick layer. sent him to college,but after a year in college he said"dad this isn't for me,i want to lay brick like you. So now we are partners in business and doing very well.But my second son is now in college to become a DR. and says he wants no part of that hard labor work!!! Thank you lord!!"

http://www.contractortalk.com/f48/new-stonemason-46173/

Thanks for the info. I see you are a Steve Huff fan as well. :)

Thanks for the info. I see you are a Steve Huff fan as well. :)

Neechi, is the Whitewater River a logical place to look in this area? Or do you think something has led detectives to search there?

http://www.kwch.com/Global/story.asp?S=9648367

(snip)
The search for Adam Herrman will pick up along the banks of the Whitewater River Saturday morning. Deputies, officers and investigators will be on hand. So will volunteers and search dogs (more at link)

Neechi, is the Whitewater River a logical place to look in this area? Or do you think something has led detectives to search there?

http://www.kwch.com/Global/story.asp?S=9648367

(snip)
The search for Adam Herrman will pick up along the banks of the Whitewater River Saturday morning. Deputies, officers and investigators will be on hand. So will volunteers and search dogs (more at link)

Yes I do think it's a logical place to search. Basically the Whitewater runs just west of Towanda, there is a bridge over it on what used to be the highway (254) but is now more of like an access/local only kind of road, lots of tree cover, etc... The Whitewater feeds into the Walnut river near Augusta, then they feed into the Arkansas River which eventually ends up in the Mississippi. Knowing the time of year he actually disappeared would make a difference in the feasibility of this area...lots of ups and downs as far as river levels.

I lived in Benton from Aug 2002- Aug 2004. My son was 13 and he and two other friends, all scouts walked the railroad line from Benton to Towanda. They said they found something odd. Sad to say, I did not hear much of what he was teling me as I was upset that he was gone for so long. 11 mile walk - one way. When he gets home tonite.. I will ask him what he all remembers of his walk and if he saw anything odd or out of place. I know he did not see a skull or he would have told me and made me go look at it and report it.

BTW I still live near Towanda in a different burb of Wichita.

I lived in Benton from Aug 2002- Aug 2004. My son was 13 and he and two other friends, all scouts walked the railroad line from Benton to Towanda. They said they found something odd. Sad to say, I did not hear much of what he was teling me as I was upset that he was gone for so long. 11 mile walk - one way. When he gets home tonite.. I will ask him what he all remembers of his walk and if he saw anything odd or out of place. I know he did not see a skull or he would have told me and made me go look at it and report it.

BTW I still live near Towanda in a different burb of Wichita.

That railroad walk is quite the haul! I'm surprised you didn't have to go rescue them! There used to be a certain amount of rumored transient activity around the tracks.

Here's the newest article from the Wichita Eagle.

http://www.kansas.com/news/story/658054.html

Basically, another sibling of Valerie Herrman is alleging abuse against Adam and actually states that he talked Adam's oldest sister Crystal out of reporting the abuse. Doug Herrman vehemently denies the accusations.

That railroad walk is quite the haul! I'm surprised you didn't have to go rescue them! There used to be a certain amount of rumored transient activity around the tracks.

As you know Benton is really small ,and my son (age 13-14) and his 2 best friends would hang out between their houses. Well, they took off WITHOUT my knowledge. (for most of the day.. I thought he was at his friend's playing video games as we were all like second moms to those boys - did not start worrrying till supper) Being Boy Scouts, they had filled their backpacks went on the adventure. They came in around dark and did I ever come unglued as to where he was at and why he did not leave a note. :furious:
He says now it is one of the greatest memories of his childhood. He also said he was really sorry as the walk took all day and they were sure tired and hungry when they got home.

Today is at National Guard drill and will have to wait to ask him tonite what he remembers seeing on that trip.

If there was alot of transients then what is saying Adam didn't go down that track and meet up with someone bad???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noonoo91
Back