KS KS - Adam Herrman, 11, Towanda, 1999

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow! TEN YEARS????????????

geeeesh!

What the heck is wrong with people?????????

Wow. We thought Casey and the A's were bad for waiting 31 DAYS! 10 YEARS!!!???

http://www.kwch.com/Global/story.asp?S=9619669&nav=menu486_2_2

(snip)
He lived in the home with Adam and wants to be a voice for his brother a boy who hasn't had one for a decade.
"I felt like I could have done more-you don't want to turn your parents in and get them in trouble."
Adam's brother is referring to abuse he says happened to Adam at the hands of his adoptive parents.
"What I remember most is the abuse and how we would defend him and do everything we could not to let it happen."

Video with Adam's adoptive brother. It is VERY revealing:
http://www.kwch.com/global/video/po...vt1=v&clipFormat=flv&clipId1=3305849&at1=News

According to Adam's brother, his parent's severely abused Adam and it was common knowledge amongst family members.

Adoptive parents aren't checked up on unless money is involved. And in Adam's case it was....so why no checks?

http://www.kwch.com/Global/story.asp?S=9620231

Case Raises Questions About Adoption Procedures

(snips)
The Adam Herrman case has led many people to question the state's adoption procedures. We asked about the checks and balances that ensure a child will go to a safe home.

So how does this apply to Adam Herrman? According to family, his adoptive parents received state assistance, possibly thousands of dollars. Right now we don't know why.

How on earth can anyone not report an 11 year old boy missing? They feel guilty? I doubt that; maybe they feel like they're in trouble now as the heat is put on them.

"The lawyer said that young Adam had had a history of running away and the couple had simply assumed he had went to live with his biological parents or had become one of the homeless. They said they had "worried" about him."
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1364036/missing_boy_adam_herrman_disappeared.html

That statement alone shows Adam's adoptive parents didn't care about him at all. Become one of the homeless at age 11?? No excuse, they are guilty!

His adoptive brother speaks of abuse:
"Adam's brother is referring to abuse he says happened to Adam at the hands of his adoptive parents. "What I remember most is the abuse and how we would defend him and do everything we could not to let it happen."
http://www.kwch.com/Global/story.asp?S=9619669&nav=menu486_2_2

I'm wondering if Adam's adoptive parents kept him in the shed at the mobile home park. Hopefully more of Adam's siblings who may have witnessed something or can tell about how the adoptive parents are will come forward.
In the qoute from the above link he says "we would defend him" i'm wondering if "we" may be more siblings or foster children who may have seen something.

Every time I post about Crimes against Adopted Children I get railroaded.

Adopted Children of Abuse and Murder NEED A VOICE

In my opinion when you adopt a child you have MORE of a responsiblilty than even a biological mother to a child has . Why ? Why would I say that ? Because You are taking that child on the understanding that they can not be cared for by their biological parents but that You can do so. You can provide everything for that child to ensure that they grow up to be a wonderful member of society. YOU take on the responsiblity so therefore you have MORE of a responsiblity.

So when adopted children (or foster) are abused and or murdered it needs to be opened up and talked about

Trouble is for far too long its been swept under the carpet. Think of the outrage when a child that is a biological child dies at the hands of their parent/s (think right now of all the cases on this very site)

But where is the outrage for the adopted children abused / tortured and murdered ?

It's because its all hush hush and made to go away.

Because it hits a raw nerve with Adoptive Parents. They feel slighted when its discussed

BUT WHY ?

I know when biological children of abuse and murder are discussed and the parents attacked and shamed for what they did to their child I DO NOT feel slighted , nor guilty.

So Why do adoptive Parents feel the need to defend themmselves and or adoptive parents in general ?

This case of Adams is a tragic case of which abuse was rife towards the adopted children by all accounts from the other adopted boy.

I believe Adam is dead at the hand of his adopters.

I hope they throw the book at the adoptive parents.

http://blogs.discovery.com/criminal_report/2009/01/boy-missing-10.html
According to the sheriff's office, Adam and his siblings were taken away from their biological parents in 1989. Adam was roughly two years old at the time. Each of the siblings were placed into foster care and later adopted by different families.

I am unsure as to Adam's and his siblings circumstances but I do know that having read up on this case leading to other stories from Kansas that there is also a lot of children that have been removed wrongly.

Im still following that side of things up

http://www.kwch.com/Global/story.asp?S=9620231

It also talks about this family receiving medicaid for Adam (and other children)
With no follow up.. just the adoptive parents word that they require it.

Adoption IS Big Business. The trouble is its one of those *touchy* subjects that people want to have teflon coated.

Its one of the Taboo, not very nice subjects , Like incest, Pedophilia, STD's and any other *icky* subject - people know that it goes on but they don't really want to talk about ......

But it is big business and the foster and adoption systems need to be completely overhauled, because there are far to many corrupt things happening.

ETA

This is from Adams Full Blood Sister http://www.kansascw.com/Global/story.asp?S=9615148&nav=menu676_1
snipped

Adam Herrman's mom and dad relinquished their rights as parents about 20 years ago, thinking the state could provide them a better home. So Adam and his brothers and sisters were all placed into foster care and then adopted by different families

Bit of a different story to the part where the mother is quoted as saying I did a bit wrong

and more snipped

A situation that now eats away at Adam's biological father, now living in Indiana, who last saw him when he was only a year and a half old.

"I thought what I was doing for him was in the best interest of the children and evidently it wasn't. I feel that if he would have still been in my custody this would have never happened."

The part that's hardest for Adam's sister is the fact that she says she called his adopted mom several times after 1999 and was assured he was doing just fine.

"It makes me furious. How dare she lie to me? That's my brother, how dare she lie to me when you know he's not fine, or maybe he was fine wherever he was, but he wasn't fine in the home and I had every right to know that."

Both Tiffany and her father have been asked to give DNA samples to help with the case and both say all they can do now is hope.

This is outrageous!!

Eisenbise, attorney for the adoptive parents, said re the adoptive parents:

"They assumed that he was somewhere -- either a homeless person or back with members of his family," Eisenbise said.
"He had never contacted them. They assumed that he was OK."
Court records show that as late as 2003 -- about four years after Adam might have gone missing -- his adoptive parents listed him in their divorce case, later dismissed."
http://www.kansas.com/196/story/651004.html

Such a load of BS. They were in contact with the bio family and then asked them to stop calling.

I haven't read everything yet, but, I wonder if they were listing him in the divorce case, if they continued to claim him on income tax.

In Kansas, near my home a child of age 12 (now 22) has been missing for 9 years!!

Here is the local link...
http://www.kansas.com/news/breaking/story/651995.html

Sheriff working case of missing Butler County child as a death
BY TIM POTTER
The Wichita Eagle

Fourth-grade photo of Adam Herrman released by the Butler County Sheriff's Office.
Gallery: The Adam Herrman Case
Detectives are investigating the case of a Towanda boy who disappeared a decade ago as if the child were dead, even though they cannot rule out that he is still alive, Butler County Sheriff Craig Murphy said today.

This morning Murphy released a fourth-grade picture of Adam Herrman, who disappeared from Towanda in the summer of 1999 when he was about 12, and asked the public to call with any information about Adam.

No one reported him missing for nine years. His adoptive parents have since said he ran away.

Murphy said investigators are working the case as a death because "when you are working it as a death you are digging deeper, longer."

He said this is the first case he has dealt with in decades of law enforcement work in which officers didn't learn that a child was missing until years later. A recent tip to the missing and exploited child unit led to the investigation.

Here is the link on CNN...
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/05/kansas.boy.missing/index.html

I suspected there would be money state money involved- there often is when a child older than an infant is adopted- and that is why I questioned the state not checking on this family.

This reminds me a lot of a local case- Jaleek Rainwalker. IMO, the adoptive parents of both these boys know a LOT more than they are letting on. Very sad.

As far as parents reporting their children missing in either case, it's not 31 days or 9 years. It's never! Someone else reported in both cases. :furious:

You gotta love the fact they reported him living with them 2 years later on some legal paperwork.. I wonder if they reported him on their taxes as well.

I suspected there would be money state money involved- there often is when a child older than an infant is adopted- and that is why I questioned the state not checking on this family.

This reminds me a lot of a local case- Jaleek Rainwalker. IMO, the adoptive parents of both these boys know a LOT more than they are letting on. Very sad.

Hi Kimberlina if you read my post just up a bit that is exactly what i posted about

Very sad indeed and Im just about finished my blog Post about it on my Blog

ETA

Quoted from the site I linked above

The Adam Herrman case has led many people to question the state's adoption procedures. We asked about the checks and balances that ensure a child will go to a safe home.

We also wanted to know about the role SRS plays once a child is legally adopted.

We called SRS in Topeka. While they told us they could not talk about this case specifically, we did learn about the general process.

Kansas SRS Adoption Process

Adoption is meant to give children a safe, permanent home.

We learned adoptive parents go through an extensive background check. However, once an adoption is finalized, the state is out of the picture.

That all changes if money is involved. Many adoptive families in Kansas receive Medicaid to help them raise a special needs child. Those children with significant medical, emotional or developmental needs.

The state and parents come to an agreement prior to the adoption.

The assistance can be a one-time payment or reoccuring. If it's the latter, Medicaid requires the parents submit an annual written report to verify the money is still needed.

Their word is Medicaid's only source. They never go in person to check.

So how does this apply to Adam Herrman? According to family, his adoptive parents received state assistance, possibly thousands of dollars. Right now we don't know why.

EL DORADO, Kan. - The Kansas parents who failed to report their 11-year-old adopted son missing nearly a decade ago are "people of interest" as authorities search for him nationwide, a sheriff said Monday.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28512579/

From the CNN link from ibyoungr's post

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/01/05/...ing/index.html

"'Adam had been placed in the Herrmans' care when he was about 2, Murphy said in a phone interview. He had been named Irvin Groeninger III when he was born on June 8, 1987, Murphy said, and it was not clear when his name was changed.

His biological parents relinquished their rights as parents about two decades ago, and Adam and his siblings were put in different foster homes, CNN affiliate KWCH reported.

"I thought what I was doing for them was in the best interest of the children and evidently it wasn't," Irvin Groeninger told KWCH. "If he was still in my custody this would have never happened.

Adam's sister, Tiffany Broadfoot, 22, said she last saw her brother about 14 years ago at a birthday party.

A year or two later, he sent her a Christmas card, she said. "And that was the end of my contact with him," she told KWCH."'

--->>>I am wondering where his biological mother is, it makes no mention of her in the quoted part above. Quote from above -> "I" and "IF he was still in 'MY' custody this would have never happened.

I am guessing there is a big bunch more to this story - involving the bio mom. What a handsome boy, I surely hope he is still alive and happy somewhere.

Hi Kimberlina if you read my post just up a bit that is exactly what i posted about

Very sad indeed and Im just about finished my blog Post about it on my Blog

I did read- I was agreeing. In the Rainwalker case, the family kept collecting $$$ from the state even after everyine knew he was missing. He was treated terribly, as it is alleged that Adam was.

I am fortunate in that of my 3 friends who are adopted, two were treated very, very well, and the third was treated as best as her family (she was adopted by a bio relative) could manage given their mental problems- she was never abused. I am thankful they were all adopted by people who really love them.

The most vulnerable are being preyed upon and it is so terrible. I just don't understand it. :confused: I don't think that money should EVER go directly to the family- it should go straight to the medical providers the money is usually meant for. If my HSA debit card can manage it, why can't states???

ETA- Jaliek was spelled incorrectly in my previous post.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Where is Jennifer*
Back