KS - Caleb Schwab, 10, dies on 17-story Schlitterbahn waterpark slide, Aug 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree, don’t most similar rides use fiberglass tubes instead of netting? Everything about Schlitterbahn’s safety, screams cheapness to me. Velcro straps instead of safety belts, nets instead of fiberglass tubes. It sounds like they spend almost zero on safety equipment.

BBM-
Totally agree and more than that... My bet is that even less (in time and dollars) was spent on safety tests for this thing!
What? Sandbags and dummies flying out on a test run? Let's add some "netting" and see what happens.... Gotta roll this thing out because "time is money". Take a few test runs and they are good to go.
Please- I am being (somewhat) sarcastic above but really... I would like to see some internal emails and memos. The focus was on getting this ride open to the public versus making sure 10 year old children would be safe riding. I mean, it is exactly the kind of thing that attracts young boys. Maybe young girls... IDK. I raised sons and know mine would have begged to ride it.
One of my sons didn't hit puberty until he was 15 years old.. not much bigger than Caleb was at 10. He would have been first in line and I would have naively assumed the risk was relatively low.
I would have been wrong!

Police say weight within limits. It adds up to five lb below maximum. My guess is the women were actually heavier than whatever weight was on their driver's license?

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/police-weights-in-caleb-schwab-kansas-water-slide-death-within-limits/

BBM-
Last one from me on this thread today and OT at that!
I gained so much weight during my freshman year in college that my mom threatened to take me to DMV to put my actual weight on my Drivers License. Mortified, I spent the entire summer of 1984 on a diet. [emoji4]

Father of boy, 10, decapitated on world's tallest water slide says he is looking for answers in first public statement as the two women who were injured on the doomed ride are named

Scott Schwab has thanked supporters 10 days after son Caleb was killed

Said 'words will never convey the appreciation' his family has received

Expressed hope investigation will make sure the tragedy isn't repeated

Horrific tragedy unfolded at the Schlitterbahn Waterpark in Kansas City

Suffered fatal injuries on the 168-foot tall 'Verruckt' ride

Hannah Barnes, 32, and Matraca Baetz, 25, were also injured on the ride

Their attorneys have started their own investigation into what happened

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-injured-doomed-ride-named.html#ixzz4HbDLAlqE

Those two women definitely do not look obese to me, as they would have to be for the ride to be the weight officially released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I am reading the information right in this link then it indicates it was due to open in just about 20 days time and it looks no where near ready.

That seems to be about what I recall from the Travel Show special is they were trying to rush the ride to open it on time.

Notice there is not any of the netting yet and the ride itself is not even close to ready and yet the article is dated 05 May 2014 with it saying it "is scheduled to open to the public May 23".

No need to look up any actual dates when it opened because the point is they were trying to rush the opening of it.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...ckt-the-worlds-new-tallest-water-slide-57097/

If I am reading the information right in this link then it indicates it was due to open in just about 20 days time and it looks no where near ready.

That seems to be about what I recall from the Travel Show special is they were trying to rush the ride to open it on time.

Notice there is not any of the netting yet and the ride itself is not even close to ready and yet the article is dated 05 May 2014 with it saying it "is scheduled to open to the public May 23".

No need to look up any actual dates when it opened because the point is they were trying to rush the opening of it.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com...ckt-the-worlds-new-tallest-water-slide-57097/

It opened in July, but they were trying to have it open by Memorial Day weekend. At least three delays before opening.

https://youtu.be/ubFqraY8fNQ

BBM-
Last one from me on this thread today and OT at that!
I gained so much weight during my freshman year in college that my mom threatened to take me to DMV to put my actual weight on my Drivers License. Mortified, I spent the entire summer of 1984 on a diet. [emoji4]

When I was young and backpacking through Europe I was on a train with an Australian girl who had been traveling for about a year. When the conductor asked to see her passport, he looked at the picture and again at her, shook his head and since he didn't speak English, puffed out his cheeks shaking his head again. She replied "Thanks for reminding me, especially since I'm going home in just a few weeks."

Those two women definitely do not look obese to me, as they would have to be for the ride to be the weight officially released.

Who knows when those pics were taken. Maybe they weighed more or less, who could know? Still, I guarantee that the owners of this park, and the jerks that designed the ride will do just about anything... ANYTHING... to get out of it. I seriously doubt they will ever hold themselves culpable. But since I'm not a betting person, I won't . Still, that's MOO.

Me either, and taking pictures ADDS weight to ones self! SMH!!

jmo :moo:

No way either one of them weighs 275 unless they have gained a lot of weight since those pics were taken.

Regardless of whether the weight was right or not , this poor child unnecessarily lost his life. If it wasn't due to a weight issue, it was due to the inadequate Velcro straps that were supposedly meant to hold him in place. These people need to man up now and admit it was no one's fault but their own. If they don't then they're nothing but cowards, frauds, and worthless pieces of ****. JMO

I agree...if the weight was too light and the raft lifted of the slide....I don't see how it wouldn't have decapitated all three of them if that were the case.

So I am all but convinced that Caleb was essentially thrown from the raft. I think it's likely a combo of the weight distribution (too light in front), faulty velcro, and a stupidly designed ride.

OT: I don't think I've posted this here, but our dear Mod. Bessie is in need of our help. Her husband has recently had Esophageal Cancer, and she was taking care of him. Then she had heart problems, her heart stopped, twice, and she was resuscitated. She was in a coma for several days. She's now back home, and trying to recuperate and take care of her husband. If you notice at the top of the page, there is a link. I'll give it to you here:

https://www..com/adminbessie

Huh.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article95909677.html#storylink=cpy

That's all I could catch in the article because I have hit my max on KC Star articles.

Just like many of us were saying. I just don't understand how the "designers" of this ride didn't realize this. Seems like it would be common sense for any adult of average intelligence.

But if the raft is loaded significantly heavier toward the back and lighter toward the front, Rulis explained, that would shift the center of mass and the raft’s pivot point toward the rear. Should a raft go airborne, it’s possible the boat would essentially pop a wheelie — the back of the raft would stay low while air resistance pushes the nose upward.

“There’s no question that having a light person in front made it worse,” said Charles Horton, an aerospace systems engineer from Charlotte, N.C.

I am willing to bet they never tested the ride with different weight distributions. In pictures, it just looked like bags of sand were put in the seats. All of the bags seemed on the larger side to me.

And shouldn't they have tested the ride with dummies or something taller too? Sandbags have a much lower center of gravity than a human body.

I am willing to bet they never tested the ride with different weight distributions. In pictures, it just looked like bags of sand were put in the seats. All of the bags seemed on the larger side to me.

And shouldn't they have tested the ride with dummies or something taller too? Sandbags have a much lower center of gravity than a human body.

It was a disaster waiting to happen.

It was a disaster waiting to happen.

Agree. Those seat belts look like bull crap for a 17 story drop like that.

The patrons need to be strapped in with the over the shouders bars thats used on the upside down roller coasters and not some simple seat belt. Jmo.

I simply think that the worker didn't make surr that caleb was strapped in tight enough. Idk.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back