KS - Caleb Schwab, 10, dies on 17-story Schlitterbahn waterpark slide, Aug 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
so here is what happened,

the child was ejected from the raft and hit the mesh above, the child's body caused the injuries to the other passengers striking them in the head after he was ejected,

...lets keep an open mind

Respectfully snipped by me for space and focus.

"So here is what happened," is an incredibly decisive statement, signature blanket disclaimer or no.

If you are here to argue your point, or inform your fellow posters, I suspect you may have more success offering links to support your rather "stating as fact" assertions. If you have other goals, well, then, I wouldn't expect much

even their industrial strength extreme says

Note: Recommended for temperatures between 0°F to 150°F. Not recommended for fabrics, dashboards, flexible vinyl or underwater use.
Continued exposure to full sunlight can damage fastener. May not adhere well to certain types of brick - testing is recommended.

​http://www.velcro.com/products/indu...reme#/?shape=2912f0eab89d44f6ac174ca1fd91020f

It would be great to get Velcro to testify against the water park for the lawsuit and if necessary in front of State Representatives if the ride is going to reopen in its current state.

"Investigators working for the family of the 10-year-old boy killed on Schlitterbahn’s towering water slide and the two women injured riding a raft down the Verrückt with him have been examining the site this week.

On Wednesday, “independent experts” studied the slide where Caleb Schwab was killed a month earlier, said attorney Lynn Johnson. His Kansas City law firm, Shamberg, Johnson & Bergman, represents Hannah Barnes and Matraca Baetz. The two women suffered facial injuries on the ride that killed Caleb.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article100696647.html#storylink=cpy

uuummm.....no

One accident does not mean there "is something wrong with this ride"

It only means something "went" wrong with this ride, in this one particular moment,

big difference between the two,

was there "something wrong with this ride" when the other hundreds of thousands of rafts went down successfully without incident?

Yes there was something wrong with the slide, it just had not revealed itself yet. The slide was in operation for roughly 8 months. That's a minuscule amount of time to pass before your first decapitation.

Yes there was something wrong with the slide, it just had not revealed itself yet. The slide was in operation for roughly 8 months. That's a minuscule amount of time to pass before your first decapitation.

Exactly. And let's not forget that there have been numerous reports of other seat belts coming off and rafts lifting up from the ride.

Just wondering if there is any local news about this tragedy and what will happen to the slide? It is still horrifying what happened to this young man. I wonder how the ladies who were on the slide are doing and of course Caleb's brother and family are doing.

Just wondering if there is any local news about this tragedy and what will happen to the slide? It is still horrifying what happened to this young man. I wonder how the ladies who were on the slide are doing and of course Caleb's brother and family are doing.

Kansas City Star reports there was no discussion of safety by the local KCK government. Not surprising. There are no regulations in place in Kansas for these parks. It's unlikely there will be new ones. The park will open again for business as usual next season.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article108028562.html

In the aftermath of the Aug. 7 death of 10-year-old Caleb Schwab on Verrückt, Gov. Sam Brownback said within days of the incident that he was open to revisiting state regulations on amusement park rides.

Mayor Mark Holland has not yet decided whether the Unified Government would pursue its own safety regulatory scheme.

“With an investigation into the accident still under way, and with the Legislature indicating it may take up the state’s role of regulating amusement rides, I believe it would be prudent for us, on the local level, to wait for these processes to play out,” Holland said in a statement Wednesday to The Star. “There is still a lot that we don’t know, and I would like more information before offering solutions.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article108028562.html#storylink=cpy

As for lawsuits or other victim compensation, there isn't likely to be much. Caleb's parents have retained an attorney, but Kansas law is such that damages in these cases are capped at very low levels. Non-economic damages are capped at $300,000.

https://wallacesaunders.com/damage-caps-in-missouri-and-kansas

The only thing consumers can do to protect themselves from these unregulated amusement parks is to boycott them.

Kansas City Star reports there was no discussion of safety by the local KCK government. Not surprising. There are no regulations in place in Kansas for these parks. It's unlikely there will be new ones. The park will open again for business as usual next season.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article108028562.html

As for lawsuits or other victim compensation, there isn't likely to be much. Caleb's parents have retained an attorney, but Kansas law is such that damages in these cases are capped at very low levels. Non-economic damages are capped at $300,000.

https://wallacesaunders.com/damage-caps-in-missouri-and-kansas

The only thing consumers can do to protect themselves from these unregulated amusement parks is to boycott them.

Thank you BettyP I really hope this dangerous slide doesn't reopen when the park does.

300,000 just seems like a slap in the face. That being said I don't know that any monetary amount wouldn't be insulting however.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you so much tbum for posting this. I've been waiting for news. I'm very pleased they have made the correct and responsible decision I couldn't imagine it being opened again like this tragedy had never happened awaiting yet more tragedy in the future. Let's hope they replace it with a ride engineered and designed by professionals which is as safe as possible.

Caleb's family are in my prayers as they face their first Thanksgiving and Christmas without their son and brother.

Thank goodness. I hope they release the findings when the investigation is over.

Demolishing the ride is some small sort of justice for Caleb. Not enough though, but I'm guessing wrongful death suits will follow in time.

Rest in Peace Caleb

:rose:

Thanks for finding this info. I'm not sure how I feel about the tower remaining in place and only the slide coming down. Makes me wonder what they plan to use it for.

i have read many articles,

it sounds to me like the tower will be used as part of the next ride, which will also be a "water type ride",

so basically the ride is not being demolished, its really just being redesigned and will probably be a lot more tame, sounds like it might be a water slide (the ones where you are enclosed in a tube) as opposed to a raft ride

i have read many articles,

it sounds to me like the tower will be used as part of the next ride, which will also be a "water type ride",

so basically the ride is not being demolished, its really just being redesigned and will probably be a lot more tame, sounds like it might be a water slide (the ones where you are enclosed in a tube) as opposed to a raft ride

You could be right.

I was glad to hear on the news that the ride was coming down and the way it was said on the news made me wonder if something smaller and tamer would be put in its place maybe by the same company even. I was hoping the park would level it and go with a new company and not sure if that is what is going to happen.

I hope the park uses a proven design and hope inspectors and engineers check out the tower and new structure.

If they keep the old tower then I hope they have engineers check to see if it is safe to use.

You could be right.

I was glad to hear on the news that the ride was coming down and the way it was said on the news made me wonder if something smaller and tamer would be put in its place maybe by the same company even. I was hoping the park would level it and go with a new company and not sure if that is what is going to happen.

I hope the park uses a proven design and hope inspectors and engineers check out the tower and new structure.

If they keep the old tower then I hope they have engineers check to see if it is safe to use.

I think the tower is pretty sturdy, from having seen it up close.

Family of boy killed on Kansas waterslide settles with park
http://www.kwch.com/content/news/Settlement-reached-410428425.html

Thanks for the update. From same link:

"A spokeswoman for Schlitterbahn Waterparks and Resorts, Winter Prosapio, confirmed the settlement, which was first reported by The Kansas City Star. She declined to elaborate, other than to say the park's owners plan to follow through on demolishing the slide as announced in November." bbm

Article does not say settlement terms are confidential, but they may be. IDK.

I don't remember seeing this ^ back in Nov, but for many ppl, demolishing the slide should come as a relief. JM2cts.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l
Back