GUILTY KS - Harold 'Hal' Sasko, 52, murdered in his Lawrence home, 14 Jan 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for this link and the head's up. Just catching up on this case. One thing that really stands out from your link is the following.

3202d77f.gif

At about 17, McLinn, who was seeking a responsible father figure, moved into Sasko’s Lawrence home when her mother gave consent. Sasko, 52, provided her with alcohol and marijuana and eventually he pressured her first to date him, then to have sex with him.

She initially turned aside both overtures but finally consented when he insinuated she would have to move out if she didn’t have sex with him, Hutchinson said.

The sex varied between once and twice a week.

“‘I would get as drunk as I could, then just lay there,’” Hutchinson quoted McLinn as saying.

EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

While the age of consent is apparently 16, and Kansas has no provisions with regard to age difference or, for that matter, apparently, employer-employee, power imbalance (AKA hostile work environment arising from sexual harassment), the aforementioned description raises all sorts of red flags. For example, mom consents for her 17 year old daughter to move in with 52 year old Sasko.

The first question is, "Why?" Why did she need to move in with this 52 year old man (AKA her boss)? Yes, I know, the article states she was looking for a "father figure" but there is something that just does not sit right. Especially since this minor (i.e., 17 year old girl) was forced by both her landlord and her boss (i.e., 52 year old Sasko), to have sex with him.

In all, regardless of the NGRI angle, the overall situation raises serious questions that I hope they consider when sentencing this young lady.

That said, and as for raising NGRI based upon a dissociative identity disorder dx? The psychiatrist for both the defense and prosecuting attorneys, appear to be in agreement that this young woman is indeed suffering from dissociative identity disorder. Where they disagree is culpability.

So, from this pov, and for those interested in further exploring this particular issue, here's a relevant, albeit, somewhat dated, peer reviewed paper that delves into this very thing as well as proposing standard for NGRI when trying criminal cases involving dissociative identity disorder.

And finally, check out "The Minds of Billy Milligan," written by Daniel Keyes. Milligan's attorneys were the first to raise NGRI defense based upon Milligan's Dissociative Identity Disorder (aka multiple personality disorder) dx.

Thank you so much for your insight Shadowraiths. I know it is strange for a 52 yr old to take in a 17 yr old. I had talked to a relative of Mr Sasko and they said he helped many young people, now why he took in Sarah and had sex with her I don't know. That was their story.

I am hoping and believe the judge will not give a harsh sentence even though the jurors did find the murder qualified for The Hard 50 in Kansas. I really had mixed feelings after attending this trial and seeing both families and the hurt they were in. I guess time will tell how well Sarah does in prison. I will be following this for a long time if information is available.

Thanks again Shadowraiths! I will check out your link also.

I had talked to a relative of Mr Sasko and they said he helped many young people, now why he took in Sarah and had sex with her I don't know.
And herein lies the problem. To the outsider, this guy appears to be an upstanding member of his community. Yet, if what this young lady reported is in fact true, in conjunction with the family member saying he'd helped many young people?

This is unfortunately reminiscent of sexual predators who position themselves to have access to their victims... whether they be teachers, pastors, daycare, or in this case, someone opening up their homes to teenagers. While this is not always the case, that sexual coercion was reported, it is something that should not and must not be ignored.

That is, if what she reported is in fact true, there are other victims out there.

Thank you so much for your insight Shadowraiths. I know it is strange for a 52 yr old to take in a 17 yr old. I had talked to a relative of Mr Sasko and they said he helped many young people, now why he took in Sarah and had sex with her I don't know. That was their story.

I am hoping and believe the judge will not give a harsh sentence even though the jurors did find the murder qualified for The Hard 50 in Kansas. I really had mixed feelings after attending this trial and seeing both families and the hurt they were in. I guess time will tell how well Sarah does in prison. I will be following this for a long time if information is available.

Thanks again Shadowraiths! I will check out your link also.

What is "hard 50?" Thanks

And herein lies the problem. To the outsider, this guy appears to be an upstanding member of his community. Yet, if what this young lady reported is in fact true, in conjunction with the family member saying he'd helped many young people?

This is unfortunately reminiscent of sexual predators who position themselves to have access to their victims... whether they be teachers, pastors, daycare, or in this case, someone opening up their homes to teenagers. While this is not always the case, that sexual coercion was reported, it is something that should not and must not be ignored.

That is, if what she reported is in fact true, there are other victims out there.

I totally agree with you. I know and realize the family will be biased.

I went to the trial with just a general interest in seeing how the court system actually works here in Kansas for a murder trial. I had read some facts on this case in the news and on here and took and interest. I was shocked with the defense angle of the DID. I focused on watching Sarah and the jurors a great deal just to get a feel of both and had a very hard time reading them.

I also wondered if a Psychologist could make that diagnosis in 17hr worth of visits. I thought perhaps DID would be a complex DX. imo

I guess all in it is hard to get the grasp of things in a Trial that last just 1 week.

Still I appreciate you view!!

What is "hard 50?" Thanks

Hi Zoey!

It is 50 yrs without parole, the highest sentence you can get in Kansas. Kansas got rid of the death penalty in 2001 or 02 I think. Yes Kansas isn't very tough on there criminals.

I also wondered if a Psychologist could make that diagnosis in 17hr worth of visits. I thought perhaps DID would be a complex DX.
I absolutely agree. Generally, a DID dx is very questionable if there were no prior history of the disorder. Specifically, due to the very real issue of malingering (i.e., faking for secondary gain). For example:

3202d77f.gif
Branson questioned whether McLinn was malingering, or falsifying symptoms of a mental disorder for secondary gain. McLinn has been reading psychology books in her jail cell since she has been incarcerated, Branson said, and one of McLinn’s psychological tests was inconclusive due to “over-reporting” symptoms. A second test said results should be read with caution because her answers “magnified illness,” showing an “inclination to complain” and “extreme vulnerability.”
EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

There are other issues, as well. For example, her grandfather's testimony:

3202d77f.gif
The first family member to take the stand in the trial was McLinn's grandfather, Gilbert Gonzales Sr. He testified that his relationship with McLinn was "pretty good until a certain point." Gonzales talked about McLinn's change in behavior during the middle of her parent's divorce.
EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

While her parent's divorce, no doubt affected her, it would not be something that could trigger full blown DID. And then, there's the defense psych's testimony:

3202d77f.gif
Hutchinson said she could summon each of McLinn’s personalities or “sub-identities” through a countdown procedure that she demonstrated for the court. First, she asked if “Alyssa” would be willing to come out and talk, counted from one to 10, then asked if “Alyssa” was there. Jurors looked at McLinn during the countdown, but McLinn remained unmoved.
EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

Not surprisingly, "Alyssa" did not "come out." DID is tough to fake to an audience, in this case, a courtroom full of people. While those portraying it in hollywood can do retakes until they get it right, even they rarely do. How much more impossible would it be for her to fake it to the jury? Imo, quite. So, while she may be suffering from DID, based purely upon information reported in the media, I, personally, am extremely doubtful that is the case. In fact, this seems much more likely:

3202d77f.gif
McLinn also told investigators she had borderline personality disorder and “wanted out of that life.” She said she had “spent some time in a mental institution at 15 or 16” after a suicide attempt.
EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

Moreover, dissociative identity disorder (aka pathological dissociation) is a result of "chronic and severe abuse.." Yet the defense psychiatrist claims she alleged two instances of abuse, one, between 3 and 5 years old, and a later, in her teens. If, she suffered from dissociation, symptoms would have been present well before the murder of Sasko. Importantly, even if she had been severely and chronically abused, not everyone ends up with dissociative identity disorder. Imho, the individual must be predisposed to dissociation. That is, imho, a genetic component must be present, in conjunction with the chronic abuse.

And finally, even though dissociative identity disorder is included in the DSM V, it is still hotly debated among researchers and clinicians. And not just the prevalence (i.e., just how widespread it really is) but its actual existence or lack thereof.

I absolutely agree. Generally, a DID dx is very questionable if there were no prior history of the disorder. Specifically, due to the very real issue of malingering (i.e., faking for secondary gain). For example:

3202d77f.gif
Branson questioned whether McLinn was malingering, or falsifying symptoms of a mental disorder for secondary gain. McLinn has been reading psychology books in her jail cell since she has been incarcerated, Branson said, and one of McLinn’s psychological tests was inconclusive due to “over-reporting” symptoms. A second test said results should be read with caution because her answers “magnified illness,” showing an “inclination to complain” and “extreme vulnerability.”
EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

There are other issues, as well. For example, her grandfather's testimony:

3202d77f.gif
The first family member to take the stand in the trial was McLinn's grandfather, Gilbert Gonzales Sr. He testified that his relationship with McLinn was "pretty good until a certain point." Gonzales talked about McLinn's change in behavior during the middle of her parent's divorce.
EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

While her parent's divorce, no doubt affected her, it would not be something that could trigger full blown DID. And then, there's the defense psych's testimony:

3202d77f.gif
Hutchinson said she could summon each of McLinn’s personalities or “sub-identities” through a countdown procedure that she demonstrated for the court. First, she asked if “Alyssa” would be willing to come out and talk, counted from one to 10, then asked if “Alyssa” was there. Jurors looked at McLinn during the countdown, but McLinn remained unmoved.
EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

Not surprisingly, "Alyssa" did not "come out." DID is tough to fake to an audience, in this case, a courtroom full of people. While those portraying it in hollywood can do retakes until they get it right, even they rarely do. How much more impossible would it be for her to fake it to the jury? Imo, quite. So, while she may be suffering from DID, based purely upon information reported in the media, I, personally, am extremely doubtful that is the case. In fact, this seems much more likely:

3202d77f.gif
McLinn also told investigators she had borderline personality disorder and “wanted out of that life.” She said she had “spent some time in a mental institution at 15 or 16” after a suicide attempt.
EYESR_zps1dff9e53.gif

link

Moreover, dissociative identity disorder (aka pathological dissociation) is a result of "chronic and severe abuse.." Yet the defense psychiatrist claims she alleged two instances of abuse, one, between 3 and 5 years old, and a later, in her teens. If, she suffered from dissociation, symptoms would have been present well before the murder of Sasko. Importantly, even if she had been severely and chronically abused, not everyone ends up with dissociative identity disorder. Imho, the individual must be predisposed to dissociation. That is, imho, a genetic component must be present, in conjunction with the chronic abuse.

And finally, even though dissociative identity disorder is included in the DSM V, it is still hotly debated among researchers and clinicians. And not just the prevalence (i.e., just how widespread it really is) but its actual existence or lack thereof.

I really appreciate your insight into this case. I was so conflicted about the outcome after attending the trial and I can understand what you are saying, it all makes so much sense. I do believe Sarah deserves to be in prison for committing the murder I just became concerned about her mental health. I see now that maybe my concern shouldn't be that much.

When it comes down to it Sarah planned and calculated her victims murder for several days and executed the murder and escape. With or without a mental defect or disorder she knew what she was doing. I know the jury saw right through the facts of the case.

Hi Zoey!

It is 50 yrs without parole, the highest sentence you can get in Kansas. Kansas got rid of the death penalty in 2001 or 02 I think. Yes Kansas isn't very tough on there criminals.

According to Wiki:

Capital punishment in the U.S. state of Kansas is a legal form of punishment for the crime of capital murder, but has not been carried out in practice since 1965. Kansas is one of two death-penalty states, along with New Hampshire, where no executions have been carried out since the 1976 reinstatement of capital punishment in the United States.

There are currently 9 men on KS death row http://ksabolition.org/facts/death-row

Hi Zoey!

I kinda like that policy! Currently we have a hold on DP, however we have like 3 different trials forDP.

Sentencing for convicted killer Sarah McLinn postponed in gruesome Harold Sasko slaying
Judge to hear two motions on Wednesday

What was to have been the sentencing on Wednesday of the Lawrence woman convicted of the near decapitation death of her former restaurant boss will be a motion hearing.

snipped

McLinn, 20, a Topeka native, is to be sentenced by District Court Judge Paula Martin.

But on Wednesday, the judge faces two motions filed by the McLinn defense.

The defense is seeking a new trial for McLinn and is asking the judge to order McLinn to undergo a psychiatric evaluation at Larned State Hospital.

The motion hearing is to start at 9 a.m. Wednesday before Martin. The date to sentence McLinn hasn’t been determined.

This was back in April 28, 2015.

http://cjonline.com/news/2015-04-28...clinn-postponed-gruesome-harold-sasko-slaying

Sentencing date set for Sarah Gonzales McLinn, previously found guilty of murdering Lawrence businessman

A sentencing date has been set for the 21-year-old that was found guilty of killing a Lawrence businessman in his home on January 14, 2014.

After a mental evaluation at Larned State Hospital, Sarah Gonzales McLinn is scheduled to be sentenced on August 5. After more than four hours of deliberation, a jury found McLinn guilty of first-degree murder on March 20.

http://www.6lawrence.com/news/crime...ound-guilty-of-murdering-lawrence-businessman

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 1h1 hour ago Kansas, USA
The courtroom is nearly full w/ 10 minutes until the Sarah McLinn sentencing hearing. McLinn's & victim Hal Sasko's families are both here.

At her first-degree murder trial earlier this year, the defense claimed she was not guilty by reason of mental disease of defect.

Her attorney will argue McLinn shouldn't receive 50 years. He will likely ask that the judge send her to state hospital in lieu of prison.

The jury that convicted her of first-degree murder said crime was committed w/ "aggravating factors," opening the possibility of 50 years.

It's 1:30 now and I see just three seats open in the courtroom. Some have tears already. Sasko's daughter is here, as well as his siblings.

Judge has arrived. Here we go.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 59m59 minutes ago Kansas, USA
McLinn is in braided pigtails and jail-issued orange pants and gray t-shirt.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 59m59 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Judge will call recess after comments because she received McLinn's motion for departure just before she walked into the courtroom.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 58m58 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Cornwell can move to ask to have McLinn served 25 years vs. the 50 years, Judge Paula Martin says.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 57m57 minutes ago Kansas, USA
McLinn lawyer: I will always respect what a jury decides & I can tell w/ that jury how thoughtful they were .. but I don’t agree with them.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 55m55 minutes ago Kansas, USA
"When I take my last breath on gods earth I will believe (McLinn is mentally ill.) I know that people are spectacle of these defenses."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 55m55 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Cornwell: "This is, Judge, a nice little girl.”

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 54m54 minutes ago Kansas, USA
After the conviction, Cornwell visited McLinn. She said, “It would really help us out if we can get the implants out.”

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 54m54 minutes ago Kansas, USA
McLinn claimed that Sasko encouraged her and paid for her to get buttocks implants. Cornwell said it caused her depression.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 53m53 minutes ago Kansas, USA
The implants embarrassed McLinn so much that McLinn fought Cornwell over bringing up the implants in court. She referred to herself as "we."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 50m50 minutes ago Kansas, USA
McLinn's "mental defect" is dissociative identity disorder, or multiple personalities. Cornwell said it started before McLinn met Sasko.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 49m49 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Cornwell: (McLinn's mental defect) was just this tumor, bomb waiting to explode. It was ignited (when she killed Sasko.)"

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 49m49 minutes ago Kansas, USA
"Really today is about hope. If you grant our request for hard 25, she will have hope. She will be able to be around her sister..."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 48m48 minutes ago Kansas, USA
"I don't know that I blame Mr. Sasko, he had no idea my client's mental state. He didn't call her mother to ask about her history."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 48m48 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Cornwell said illness started after traumatic child molestation incident.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 47m47 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Cornwell choking up: "Judge I’ve tried a lot of murder cases and uh I would hope that you would have mercy on her. That's all we have."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 47m47 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Hal's older brother, Tom Sasko, takes the stand to address the court.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 43m43 minutes ago Kansas, USA
"It's hard. I understand Hal had problems; I know she had problems. But I don’t know why she didn’t just leave. Hal worked 70 hours a week."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 43m43 minutes ago Kansas, USA
"I feel sorry for the family. Amanda will hurt the worst, she lost her dad. Through the years its going to be worse, & then it'll fade away.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 44m44 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Tom Sasko: "I honestly feel (McLinn( will do society no good after 25 year when she is released. I want 50 years."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 42m42 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Prosecutor David Melton: "Rarely in a legal career does something come along as heinous and cruel as this one."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 42m42 minutes ago Kansas, USA
"The defense's motion (to get 25 years) is the same defense rejected by the jury and found her guilty of murder in the first degree."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 40m40 minutes ago Kansas, USA
"Some murders are so evil, so terrible that they are deserving of a greater punishment. This is one."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 39m39 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Choice of murder weapon and method of murder heinous. "This 'nice little girl' decided to use a knife; she made that decision." - Melton

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 37m37 minutes ago Kansas, USA
"Harold Sasko, a human being, was brutally killed to give this defendant pleasure and satisfy her curiosity." -Melton

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 35m35 minutes ago Kansas, USA
“No one in this courtroom will say (she) doesn't have some degree of mental illness. That can be said for most people who carry out murders.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 35m35 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Melton said that a court-mandated state hospital mental evaluation report said McLinn didn't meet criteria for DID, exaggerating symptoms.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 27m27 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Melton: "This was not carried out by a nice little girl. This was carried out by somebody who was methodical, who had foresight."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 27m27 minutes ago Kansas, USA
Cornwell: "The 'nice little girl' I referred to is Sarah Gonzles Mcllinn. "'Alyssa' is the one that did this & Alyssa is a very bad person."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 25m25 minutes ago Kansas, USA
"Alyssa" is the name of one of McLinn's personalities who Cornwell says took over the physical body of McLinn when the murder was committed.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 25m25 minutes ago Olathe, KS
Melton: "(The murder) wasn’t carried out during a psychotic episode. She had great recall; she wasn’t blacked out."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 24m24 minutes ago Olathe, KS
Melton: "The defendant is asking the court to show her mercy, and mercy is something she did not show Mr. Sasko."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 23m23 minutes ago Olathe, KS
McLinn wrote Cornwell this note: "There were no friends, we had none. Alyssa liked him as a person, so we were just feeling him out.”

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 21m21 minutes ago Olathe, KS
It wasn't made clear today who "He" in the letter was. Sasko? Cornwell? I don't know. Cornwell said McLinn gave him it during a recent visit

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 21m21 minutes ago Olathe, KS
We're on recess as judge reviews letters written to the court from people who know McLinn. Many in courtroom are crying, including McLinn.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 19m19 minutes ago Olathe, KS
Melton talked about how McLinn used Ambien to knock out Sasko before she plunged the knife in his neck.

Melton: "She didn’t use Ambien as a method of ensuring Mr. Sasko didn’t feel pain. She used it to ensure she could carry out this plan."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 18m18 minutes ago Olathe, KS
Melton: "He wasn’t able to defend himself, and this is something she thought about beforehand, planned and carried it out."

#SarahMcLinn, 20, is facing 50 years in prison for the near-decapitation of her roommate and Cici's Pizza boss, 56-year-old Hal Sasko.

"As seen in the evidence, she could have smothered him while he lay there helpless, she could have given him a fatal dose of Ambien..."

Melton: "She chose the knife because she wanted to experience this murder as much as she could. Your Honor, the defendant enjoyed this."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 17m17 minutes ago Olathe, KS
Melton said McLinn killed Sasko when she realized Sasko's finances were in trouble & she wouldn't be able to "live the life she was used to"

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 16m16 minutes ago Olathe, KS
Melton alleged that at that point, her benefactor Sasko's only use to her was as a subject to carry out her murderous desires on.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 13m13 minutes ago Olathe, KS
FYI in case I didn't mention: judge is Paula Martin; prosecutors are Charles Branson and David Melton; defense attorney is Carl Cornwell.

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 10m10 minutes ago Olathe, KS
Judge has reviewed that letters. McLinn will speak!

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 5m5 minutes ago Olathe, KS
McLinn: "I think a lot about how things could’ve been so different for everybody."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 5m5 minutes ago Olathe, KS
"What I’m trying to say is that I realize there are a lot of people in a lot of pain right now and I never intended to hurt anybody...

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 3m3 minutes ago Olathe, KS
Here's the rest of McLinn's statement: "I can see there is a lot of people in pain here because of me."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 2m2 minutes ago Olathe, KS
McLinn continues: "I'd like the chance to say I’m sorry to my family and Hal’s too."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 2m2 minutes ago Olathe, KS
"... and I know I’m asking a lot but I hope that one day you find it in your hearts to forgive me."

Caitlin Doornbos ‏@CaitlinDoornbos 6m6 minutes ago Olathe, KS
Court sentences McLinn to 50 years to life in prison.

YES! she didn't fool the juror's or the judge. imo

Steve Fry ‏@TCJCourtsNCrime 7m7 minutes ago
Hard 50 for McLinn.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member