GUILTY KS - Iviona Lewis, 23 mos, Hoisington, 18 March 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@perfectingpink - do you have access to Kansas court sites? If so, could you look up when the next court date might be. We might have missed a few since his last one was on 8/31.

TIA! :)

I think this will be heard in Barton County and they have nothing on their website. It would be in District Court, wouldn't it?

Barton County - Kansas District Courts

This is where I have been looking for him:

Kansas Judicial Branch - Supreme Court Docket

So I have to go in every other day & check those calendars at the bottom of the page where it says: 2018 Calendar - but now I see I've been looking at the Supreme Court docket...
90x32px-LL-520162d9_oops.gif

54x32px-LL-089f298f_shy.gif

bumpitupbump_zpslfblvcp8.gif

Hey me again!

I'm going to be going through all my "oldie" cases that I haven't heard anything about in quite some time.
I hope someone can help me with these.
I'm going to call on
@JerseyGirl, @cybervampira, @SeesSeas, @MsMarple, @mistivon, @perfectingpink

Hope you all don't mind me tagging you! I need HELP!!

I have:
Friday, August 31st:
*Prelim Hearing – KS – Iviona “Ivy” MaRae May Lewis (2) (last seen 3/18/18, Hoisington, reported missing 3/20/18, found 3/21/18) – Chaz Stephens (25) (Mom’s BF) charged (6/12/18) with 1st degree murder, child abuse, possession of meth & possession of paraphernalia. Plead not guilty (8/31/18). $1M bond. Barton County District Court
9/1/18 Update: Had hearing Friday, 8/31, plead not guilty to all charges. No trial date set. No other dates given.
No update as of 12/1 put on day to day calendar

TIA! :)

Judge hears motions prior to Stephens trial
Updated: Jan. 3, 2019, 8:04 p.m.

Senior Judge Edward Bouker heard pre-trial motions Thursday in the case of Stephens, the Hoisington man charged with first-degree murder, child abuse and drug possession. He has entered “not guilty” pleas to all charges.

Judge Bouker heard motions in Barton County District Court from defense attorney Paul Oller and from Assistant Attorney General Lyndzie Carter. The jury trial is scheduled for March 28 through April 5.

Carter introduced witnesses for a Jackson-Denno Hearing. The proceeding determines whether a defendant’s statements were voluntary or involuntary, and whether they can be admissible as evidence.

Carter had 12 pieces of evidence, including interviews and a statement Stephens reportedly wrote and signed as “an apology letter” to the girl known as Ivy.

(cont. at the link)

@Niner

Thursday, March 28th:
*Trial set to begin (@ CT) KS – Iviona “Ivy” MaRae May Lewis (2) (last seen Mar. 18, 2018, Hoisington, reported missing 3/20/18, found 3/21/18) – *Chaz Stephens (25) (Mom’s BF) charged (6/12/18) with 1st degree murder, child abuse, possession of meth & possession of paraphernalia. Plead not guilty (8/31/18). $1M bond.
Led LE to Iviona’s body.
The jury trial is scheduled for March 28 through April 5.

Not sure this is happening, because I have looked on this court site since it's on my look.up.every.day.list. I haven't seen his name anywhere. If anyone finds anything different - please post!!

Friday, March 29th:
*Jury Selection continues (Day 2) (@ CT) KS – Iviona “Ivy” MaRae May Lewis (2) (last seen Mar. 18, 2018, Hoisington, reported missing 3/20/18, found 3/21/18) – *Chaz Stephens (25) (Mom’s BF) charged (6/12/18) with 1st degree murder, child abuse, possession of meth & possession of paraphernalia. Plead not guilty (8/31/18). $1M bond. Barton County District Court
Led LE to Iviona’s body.
The jury trial is scheduled for March 28 through April 5.
3/28/19 Jury Selection Day 1: No info available. Jury selection continues on 3/29.

@Niner, Lookie here. :)

Judge to hear status of murder cases
Updated: March 19, 2019, 9:37 a.m.

Chaz Zachery Stephens, who is charged with the first-degree murder of 2-year-old Iviona Marae May Lewis from Hoisington in March of 2018, as well as child abuse and drug charges, was scheduled for a status hearing on March 14 but that date was later changed. Senior Judge Edward Bouker did come to the Barton County Courthouse on Thursday but others did not have the hearing on their calendars. Stephens is scheduled for a pre-trial hearing at 2 p.m. on May 7 and a jury trial May 29-31 and June 3-7, starting at 9 a.m. daily. The judge is also scheduled to hear “Daubert motions” April 22-23. Previously, the trial was scheduled to begin March 28.

A Daubert motion is raised to exclude the presentation of unqualified evidence to a jury. According to USLegal.com, the testimony of an expert witness has to pass tests of reliability and relevancy for a judge to accept the witness.

After Stephens was arraigned last August, District Judge Scott McPherson noted that he was entitled to a speedy trial within 150 days, making the deadline Jan. 29, 2019. Although the state remained willing to meet that deadline and at one point objected to a continuance of the trial, the defense requested more time and Stephens waived his right to a speedy trial.

Stephens to plead guilty to child's murder
Got this on my Google alerts.

"Chaz Zachery Stephens is expected to enter a “guilty” plea to the charge of second-degree murder when he appears in Barton County District Court next week.

The 26-year-old Hoisington man had been charged with first-degree murder, child abuse and drug charges in connection to the death of 2-year-old Iviona Marae May Lewis in 2018.

Paperwork for a plea bargain was signed Wednesday by defense attorney Paul Oller and Assistant Attorney General Lyndzie Carter.

According to the document on file at the Barton County Courthouse, Stephens will waive his right to a jury trial and change his plea from “not guilty” to “guilty” of the amended charge. All other charges will be dropped."

I noticed that the article said he would be in court "next week".

I have him down for a court hearing on 4/22. I'm guessing that is NOT his next court date, since this is 2 weeks from today.

If anyone "sees" an actually court date - please post! TIA! :)

edited to add - I haven't found anything for him on the court site.

Sometime this week – April 8th – April 12th:
*Plea Hearing (@ CT) KS – Iviona “Ivy” MaRae May Lewis (2) (last seen Mar. 18, 2018, Hoisington, reported missing 3/20/18, found 3/21/18) – *Chaz Zachery Stephens (25) (Mom’s BF) charged (6/12/18) with 1st degree murder, child abuse, possession of meth & possession of paraphernalia. Plead not guilty (8/31/18). $1M bond. Barton County District Court
Led LE to Iviona’s body.
The jury trial was scheduled for May 29th thru June 7th.

3/28/19 Update: Senior Judge Edward Bouker did come to the Barton County Courthouse on Thursday (3/28/19) but others did not have the hearing on their calendars. Stephens is scheduled for a pre-trial hearing at 2 p.m. on May 7 and a jury trial May 29-31 and June 3-7, starting at 9 a.m. daily. The judge is also scheduled to hear “Daubert motions” April 22-23. Previously, the trial was scheduled to begin March 28.
A Daubert motion is raised to exclude the presentation of unqualified evidence to a jury. According to USLegal.com, the testimony of an expert witness has to pass tests of reliability & relevancy for a judge to accept the witness.

4/3/19 Update: Expected to enter a guilty plea to the charge of second-degree murder when he appears in Barton County next week (4/8-12 ??). Stephens will waive his right to a jury trial & change his plea from “not guilty” to “guilty” of the amended charge. All other charges will be dropped. Document indicates that attorneys expect Stephens could receive a sentence of 21 years in prison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tabathahoward46
Back