GUILTY KS - Jodi Sanderholm, 19, Arkansas City, 5 Jan 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hey all,
I just discovered this site after a friend said I should read it about Jodi. I live near Ark City and I get more scared about the rumors concerning the guy that was stalking other girls. Did he have friends? Were these friends guilty of helping him by harassing these girls?

ARKANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) -- A man suspected of stalking members of a college dance team was charged Thursday with kidnapping, raping and killing one of the squad's 19-year-old dancers.

Justin Eugene Thurber, 23, was charged with capital murder in the slaying of Jodi Sanderholm, who was found beaten and strangled last week.

"Of course we wanted to bring Jodi safely home to her family. But now it is our job to bring Jodi and her family some peace and her family some closure by bringing them justice," Police Chief Sean Wallace said.

Sanderholm was a member of the Cowley College Tigerette Danceline, which performs at basketball games and community events. Authorities said Thurber kidnapped Sanderholm after following her from dance practice and drove her to a rural area, where he raped and killed her.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/STUDENT_SLAIN?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

xray said:
Hey all,
I just discovered this site after a friend said I should read it about Jodi. I live near Ark City and I get more scared about the rumors concerning the guy that was stalking other girls. Did he have friends? Were these friends guilty of helping him by harassing these girls?

Hi Xray, Glad to have you here. Are you talking about another guy who was stalking other girls, or this Thurbger who has been arrested for Jodi's murder?

I think these guys usually work alone. I have seen hundreds of the best cop and murder mystery shows over the years, and not too often did they work in tandem, together.

Are these girls you are talking about on the dance team too?

Scandi,
He had stalked others besides the danceteam.
Arkcity.net has an article about his backround [arrests]
A question I have is about the laws here. Is stalking considered a misdemeanor in Ark city? The 2 comments I heard the most was a feeling of being brushed aside and also 'we cant do anything until he does something' If the laws are lax, then they need to be strengthened. [which may explain why some of these girls felt 'brushed aside' or not taken seriously] Not trying to criticize LE, just trying to gain an understanding.
I am FLOORED that its the same Justin we knew at the Subway. He was always nice to us [my family]. My mind also never made the connection that it was the same guy that was stalking these girls.
We waited till they posted his pic. on the news to make sure and now I am sitting here stunned. So if my writing is a little off tonight.. just trying to wrap my mind around all this and I cant.

Faythe

englishleigh said:
Sounds like a certain groupie is toast. I think the theory about the letter that Jodierenee posted is probably right on. I still wonder about that "impersonating a police officer" charge that Steve posted about and wonder if that is how he got her to pull over in her car to begin with.
IMO, he followed Jodi to her car and used a Taser on her, then drove to the remote location, where he killed her and dumped the car. That would explain why he called his father to pick him up.

Jodi had no chance. Once she was in the car, the attack would hardly be noticed. The Taser needs to be outlawed! It's a perfect weapon of choice for a predator. I would like to see details of the autopsy; my guess is that there would be several locations on her body showing evidence of a Taser.

beginning of article
Ark City Update - Past Allegations Surface

KAKE News has learned that the man accused of killing Jodi Sanderholm had run-ins with police long before the teen was killed. An Ark City woman claims Joshua Thurber tried to abduct her niece. Loretta Caballero says last April her 11-year-old niece was held by Thurber, against her will.

According to police reports, the young girl was asked by a friend of her mom to help the friend translate a conversation with Thurber. The friend didn't speak English very well, so the 11-year-old girl tried to help.

The girl says the woman and Thurber started fighting, and Thurber refused to take them home. Instead, he kept them in his car and drove farther away from town. The girl also says Thurber was exposing himself to both of them.

In the end, both girls jumped from the moving car, ran to a nearby home and called police.

Police showed the girl a photo lineup and she immediately picked out Thurber's picture.

The police reports called the case criminal restraint, endangering a child and lewd and lascivious behavior. But days and weeks went by without an arrest. To this day Thurber has never been charged with these crimes.

Cowley County Attorney Chris Smith says the case was eventually turned over to his office but there wasn't enough evidence to file charges. It would be Mariela's word against Thurber's and Mariela admitted she got in his car willingly.

The information smith received from police didn't have any mention of Thurber exposing himself or committing any other lewd act.

On Monday, after Loretta got copies of the reports, a police lieutenant called and wanted her to come in and talk about the case.

Smith says he has no idea why police would be investigating the case now although it does remain open. And despite any possible oversights,

it's unlikely it could have saved Jodi. The charges are all misdemeanors and Thurber, even if convicted, would have been placed on probation. (my emphasis added).

end of article

What!!?? Glad I don't live THERE! I'm losing faith in law enforcment more everyday....

http://www.kake.com/news/headlines/5327512.html

As they assemble a case against a man charged with murdering a 19-year-old college student, police are seeking the public's help in tracking the movement of the suspect's car.

A photo released Thursday by the Arkansas City Police Department shows a light blue, four-door 1993 Cadillac DeVille (pictured below).

The car has the Kansas license plate XLA 926 and is registered to Justin Thurber, who is charged with capital murder, aggravated kidnapping and rape in the death of 19-year-old Jodi Sanderholm.

Sanderholm disappeared Jan. 5, and Police Chief Sean Wallace is especially interested in talking to anyone who saw the car that day.

''Knowing where that vehicle was at is just an important part of the puzzle,'' Wallace said. ''Not knowing is not devastating, but knowing is important.

''When you do an investigation, there are a lot of questions that only the suspect and victim can answer. Unfortunately, we can't talk to Jodi.''

Sanderholm, a student at Cowley College, was found dead Jan. 9 in rural Cowley County, near the Oklahoma border. Her car was found submerged about 11 miles away in Cowley State Fishing Lake.

Thurber, of Arkansas City, is being held on $1 million bond. His next court date is Feb. 27.

Authorities have said Thurber stalked members of the Cowley College dance team, of which Sanderholm was a member.

Police had also circulated a picture of Sanderholm's car earlier this month.

''The initial information that got us to one of the crime scenes was based on an interview with a key witness in the case,'' Wallace said. ''But having a picture of her car out there brought forward other witnesses.''

Police are asking anyone who saw Thurber's car on Jan. 5 to call Wallace's office or the Kansas Bureau of Investigation.

http://www.arkcity.net/stories/012607/com_0002.shtml

"Cowley County Attorney Chris Smith says the case was eventually turned over to his office but there wasn't enough evidence to file charges. It would be Mariela's word against Thurber's and Mariela admitted she got in his car willingly.

The information smith received from police didn't have any mention of Thurber exposing himself or committing any other lewd act."

No, it would have been the word of TWO girls according to the story above. Sounds like the Cowley County Attorney Chris Smith dropped the ball here and saying an arrest at that time would not have made a difference in preventing the murder of another young woman "covering his @ss", in my opinion. How does he know it wouldn't have made any difference?

Re: PFA orders are worth getting because they give the police the ability to arrest the abuser on the spot if he violates the order.

Re: He said, she said cases. Most abusers don't do their abusing in front of people! Judges and juries know this.

*BUMP* Here is the latest news on this.

Stalking bill goes to governor

AP said:
The Senate has sent Gov. Kathleen Sebelius compromise legislation that will strengthen the state's stalking law.

Thurber trial won't start this summer

BY RON SYLVESTER The Wichita Eagle said:
WINFIELD - Jodi Sanderholm's parents didn't mind leaving the Cowley County Courthouse on Wednesday not knowing when the trial would begin for the man accused of killing their daughter.

Cowley County District Judge Jim Pringle said the capital murder trial of Justin Thurber wouldn't begin this summer, to allow lawyers more time to prepare.

Cindy and Brian Sanderholm said they'd already waited 15 months, so they didn't mind waiting longer. But they don't want to see any mistakes that would taint Thurber's trial.

"Our worst nightmare would be if we'd have to go through this all again," Brian Sanderholm said.

<snip>
Cowley County Sheriff Bob Odell said Monday that authorities were investigating a tip that a letter with Jodi's name on it was found in the bathroom at the Cowley State Fishing Lake, but "I haven't gotten any confirmation on that," he said.

<snip>
Authorities on Monday continued to question a man Ark City Police Chief Sean Wallace described as a "groupie" of the College's danceline team, of which Jodi was a member.

The man remained in custody on charges unrelated to Sanderholm's disappearance, Wallace said Monday afternoon. Police discovered an arrest warrant for the man when they questioned him about the Sanderholm case, he said.

Some people close to Sanderholm suspect the man is involved in her vanishing, Wallace said Sunday, and police were aware of his interest in the danceline women.

"We're not through talking to him," Wallace said Sunday. "We want to make sure he had nothing to do with it."

more: http://www.arkcity.net/stories/010807/com_0001.shtml

I have put off reading through this until now and am wondering how angry I am going to end up considering I am only on page 2 and seeing red. The PD were well aware of this warrant and it was not "discovered" upon talking to him. I am hoping that as I read this becomes clear, that the PD fessed up to how they knew about the warrant. I guess I will figure that out as I keep reading.

Story done in May about the death penalty in Kansas.

http://ksn.com/2016/05/23/ksn-investigates-the-death-penalty-in-kansas/

More than 9 years after the murder of their daughter, the parents of Jodi Sanderholm are speaking out to KSN News, as the execution of the man convicted in her murder, remains very much in doubt.

“I’m sure she, Jodi, pleaded for her life and he didn’t give it to her,” said Cindy Sanderholm, Jodi’s mother. “She didn’t get a second choice" she added.

A KSN Investigation concludes it is very likely that Jodi Sanderholm’s killer, along with the nine other inmates on our state’s ‘death row,’ may never be executed in the state of Kansas. This, due to the fact that Kansas’ processes are either non-existent, or designed to not carry out the sentence.

In fact, it has been so long since Kansas has executed an inmate with a death sentence that it has become clear that the people responsible for carrying out the sentence don’t seem to know exactly what to do, or how to do it.

Since Kansas reinstated the death penalty in 1994, 22 years ago, no one has been executed. The last time someone was executed in our state was 1965, by hanging.

[video=twitter;923914738848948226]https://twitter.com/GloriaVanRees/status/923914738848948226[/video]

[video=twitter;923915160296808448]https://twitter.com/GloriaVanRees/status/923915160296808448[/video]

[video=twitter;923917942630354945]https://twitter.com/GloriaVanRees/status/923917942630354945[/video]

[video=twitter;923918545066647553]https://twitter.com/GloriaVanRees/status/923918545066647553[/video]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
539edtje
Back