KS KS - Jonathan Clayton, 42, interim Peabody city clerk, failed to show up for work meeting, Peabody, 3 Aug 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So, while we don't have proof, it's possible that JC is a regular con man. Some people just have a need for money for either what they can buy or the image it can create for them. IF JC has continued his felonious ways, then he might have:
- just run off,
- self-harmed,
- someone was very upset with his duplicitous actions and caused him harm.

So, while we don't have proof, it's possible that JC is a regular con man. Some people just have a need for money for either what they can buy or the image it can create for them. IF JC has continued his felonious ways, then he might have:
- just run off,
- self-harmed,
- someone was very upset with his duplicitous actions and caused him harm.

yeah I'm on board with one of the first two
I think any conspiracies are all in his very imaginative brain JMO

The email that (vague details of) was released earlier up thread where Clayton claimed it would only be sent if he was dead.

Now his sister has said that email has been set to auto-send each Thursday and Clayton had to stop it from being sent, which then didn't happen the week he disappeared.

Here's more about the email and Toland (it's from various parts of the below article so I put them in an order that I think makes the most sense:

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article291197795.html#storylink=cpy

thank you it just keeps getting weirder

thank you it just keeps getting weirder
When I first read this I kept thinking the history of emails to be sent on his death that had to be disabled weekly to keep them from auto sending was a ruse to deflect blame to others or to insinuate mental health issues that could then be claimed as a mitigating factor should he be arrested. Just my thoughts. . .

When I first read this I kept thinking the history of emails to be sent on his death that had to be disabled weekly to keep them from auto sending was a ruse to deflect blame to others or to insinuate mental health issues that could then be claimed as a mitigating factor should he be arrested. Just my thoughts. . .
My take is it looks like a con artist in action, but maybe I'm overly cynical.

jmo

AUG 21, 2024
[...]

Five days after Clayton disappeared he sent a cryptic email to several Peabody community members blaming the Department of Commerce for any issues and he apologized for hurting, betraying, or misleading anyone. He ended it by saying:

“Understand that this message is only sent after my passing so that the truth may come forward to hold those duly accountable."

Record of wrongdoing pervades case
A Department of Commerce letter dated Aug. 5 indicates otherwise. The letter states that the state wants the first part of that grant back, has questioned Clayton’s stewardship of it, and set a deadline of today for reimbursement to be received.

The deadline later was extended to Sept. 4.

Commerce’s letter, addressed to Peabody Main Street at city hall, stated that Commerce notified the group July 25 that it had terminated the grant for failure to provide required financial and project reports.

Clayton was responsible for making those reports.

“Despite assurances from your organization that it would immediately remedy its noncompliance, Peabody has yet to provide substantial documentation,” the letter states.

The letter states that if repayment is not received, the letter stated, “Commerce will pursue any and all legal alternatives to collect outstanding amounts due and associated costs, including payment for legal fees and expenses.”

Much more in the article

Email purportedly from Clayton

Full email in link, too long to be copied here

It starts like this:

This message has been automatically sent following the death or incapacitation of Jonathan Clayton.

I, Jonathan Clayton, am providing the following information in writing as I am no longer capable of testifying or providing a sworn statement. As this message is only being provided after my death, I pray that those named below may be reviewed for any participation in my untimely demise.

What I find extremely bizarre in this case is that he hints at suicide but if so why wouldn t he want his body found ?
Does he have a fake id and has fled the country, trying to comvince everyone he is dead?
If so, he must have prepared this cautiously and not abruptly.
How is it possible that his husband doesn t know
Have they checked if he has known aliases, have they checked airports, taxi or uber services, etc?

Timeline sheds light on events with missing interim clerk

Feb. 23, 2020 — Clayton hired by Department of Commerce.

July 15, 2022 — Mullinville Community Foundation receives a $425,398 Building a Stronger Economy grant from the Department of Commerce. The grant was targeted to repair recreation equipment damaged by a storm. Clayton was a foundation board member.

Aug. 15, 2022 — Clayton and Commerce coworker Braxton Hutchinson registered a grant consulting business with the secretary of state’s office.

April 25, 2023 — Peabody Main Street Association receives a $1.5 million BASE grant to restore historic downtown buildings.

Nov. 20 — Clayton quits his employment with Commerce.

April 15 — Clayton’s business listing with the secretary of state’s office expires for failure to send reports.

June 3 — Clayton, who had been working as dog catcher and safety officer, was promoted to interim city clerk after a spate of Peabody resignations and firings.

June 30, July 2, July 8, and July 16 — Commerce notified Mullinville Community Foundation that it was not in compliance with Commerce requirements on its grant. Documentation had not been submitted. The community foundation was told it would have time to cure defaults.

July 24 — Newton Healthcare Corp. files suit against Clayton and his husband, Christopher King, for $335.95 in unpaid medical bills.

July 25 — Commerce sends Peabody Main Street a letter warning that required paperwork was not filed and that its grant needed to be brought into compliance. Clayton was responsible for sending in the paperwork. Main Street board members begin working to bring the grant into compliance but failed to notify affected businesses.

Aug. 3 — Clayton disappears and is reported missing.

Aug. 5 — Commerce sends letter demanding that a $740,000 first installment of grant money to Peabody must be repaid by today.

Two weeks ago — Mullinville Cemetery Board discovers $70,000 had been removed from its bank accounts since 2021. Clayton was a board member.

Aug. 7 — Department of Commerce files suit against Mullinville Community Foundation seeking return of grant money in full.

Aug. 8 — An email purporting to be arranged in advance by Clayton if anything ever happened to him was sent to townsfolk saying that if he disappeared or was found dead, people including Lieutenant Governor Dave Toland, director of Commerce, “should be looked at.” Peabody Police Chief Philip Crom says Clayton’s disappearance is under investigation by Kansas Highway Patrol.

Aug. 12 — Main Street notifies business owners by email that a second installment of grant money might not be sent.

Last week — Commerce extends its deadline for Main Street to return grant money until Sept. 4 and sends staff to Peabody to assist with required paperwork.

Monday — Commerce releases information that it is investigating Mullinville and Peabody grants in conjunction with Kansas Bureau of Investigation, Federal Bureau of Investigation, and Office of the Inspector General.

His email seemed to ask more questions than it answered. Either he is a grifter/someone who suffers from paranoid delusions OR there is some serious corruption going on there, hard to tell.

But I can see a non-profit being audited every 3 years, or someone clever enough to hide 70K within a much larger budget.

Timeline sheds light on events with missing interim clerk

Feb. 23, 2020 — Clayton hired by Department of Commerce.

July 15, 2022 — Mullinville Community Foundation receives a $425,398 Building a Stronger Economy grant from the Department of Commerce. The grant was targeted to repair recreation equipment damaged by a storm. Clayton was a foundation board member.

Aug. 15, 2022 — Clayton and Commerce coworker Braxton Hutchinson registered a grant consulting business with the secretary of state’s office.

April 25, 2023 — Peabody Main Street Association receives a $1.5 million BASE grant to restore historic downtown buildings.

Nov. 20 — Clayton quits his employment with Commerce.

April 15 — Clayton’s business listing with the secretary of state’s office expires for failure to send reports.

June 3 — Clayton, who had been working as dog catcher and safety officer, was promoted to interim city clerk after a spate of Peabody resignations and firings.

June 30, July 2, July 8, and July 16 — Commerce notified Mullinville Community Foundation that it was not in compliance with Commerce requirements on its grant. Documentation had not been submitted. The community foundation was told it would have time to cure defaults.

July 24 — Newton Healthcare Corp. files suit against Clayton and his husband, Christopher King, for $335.95 in unpaid medical bills.

July 25 — Commerce sends Peabody Main Street a letter warning that required paperwork was not filed and that its grant needed to be brought into compliance. Clayton was responsible for sending in the paperwork. Main Street board members begin working to bring the grant into compliance but failed to notify affected businesses.

Aug. 3 — Clayton disappears and is reported missing.

Aug. 5 — Commerce sends letter demanding that a $740,000 first installment of grant money to Peabody must be repaid by today.

Two weeks ago — Mullinville Cemetery Board discovers $70,000 had been removed from its bank accounts since 2021. Clayton was a board member.

Aug. 7 — Department of Commerce files suit against Mullinville Community Foundation seeking return of grant money in full.

Aug. 8 — An email purporting to be arranged in advance by Clayton if anything ever happened to him was sent to townsfolk saying that if he disappeared or was found dead, people including Lieutenant Governor Dave Toland, director of Commerce, “should be looked at.” Peabody Police Chief Philip Crom says Clayton’s disappearance is under investigation by Kansas Highway Patrol.

Aug. 12 — Main Street notifies business owners by email that a second installment of grant money might not be sent.

Last week — Commerce extends its deadline for Main Street to return grant money until Sept. 4 and sends staff to Peabody to assist with required paperwork.

Monday — Commerce releases information that it is investigating Mullinville and Peabody grants in conjunction with Kansas Bureau of Investigation, Federal Bureau of Investigation, and Office of the Inspector General.

I notice that the time line date of June 3rd refers to "a spate of Peabody resignations and firings."

This reference seems to imply this is out of the ordinary for this organization...

Makes me wonder what was/were the cause(s) of this spate of resignations and firings...

All JMO...

What I find extremely bizarre in this case is that he hints at suicide but if so why wouldn t he want his body found ?
Does he have a fake id and has fled the country, trying to comvince everyone he is dead?
If so, he must have prepared this cautiously and not abruptly.
How is it possible that his husband doesn t know
Have they checked if he has known aliases, have they checked airports, taxi or uber services, etc?
In my opinion he doesn't want "his body found" as there is no "body" the whole suicide angle was a ruse. I think he and some monies not belonging to him are long gone and he's trying deflect attention away from a formal search, pointing the finger at others (as if the forensic accountants won't be looking at him in detail). My daughter worked as a forensic accountant for a 3 letter agency after college, the stuff they can find is pretty amazing (she's CEO of a private firm now that does medical malpractice work).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CourtKnee
Back