Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in the Memphis area and am very familiar with the last spot her phone pinged and the river around Memphis in general. The current of the Mississippi River in this area is extraordinary strong. In the event that worse case scenario she did drive into the river (based upon the request for sonar) a car, truck anything would be swept down river swiftly. It would not have merely sunk.

The Arkansas side by big river crossing (which is a walking/biking path) connected to the “old bridge” the way down to the river is through agricultural fields and not easily accessible if you don’t know your way.

On the Tennessee side, mud island is a Upscale developed community. That is easier to access however the last time we went down there, the ramp you would use to launch a boat or access the water via water was closed in an attempt to deter individuals gathering (due to covid). Also on mud island there are several “blue light” cameras which I believe have license plate reader technology. I’m really confused as to this latest development for sonar.

opinions are my own! Hope I’m doing this right. Just joined and hope she is found safely!

I’m also really confused (like someone else has previously mentioned) why no LE briefing? To those with more experience, why would that be? I understand no specific jurisdiction at the moment. However, crittenden County (Arkansas) mentioned as being involved in a search. There is an FBI field office in Memphis. Although there has been one story done in Memphis, it’s definitely not being largely followed as you would expect.

If she has been confirmed to be on this trip, as indicated, it seems possible she ended up in water with vehicle, since both are missing. Possibly by accident, maybe not. But if she did just convert (?) suicide seems unlikely, imo.

As far as mental health issues...I think her mom spoke of them as “sleeping problems” but it seems unlikely one would travel so far for this issue...hard to know what her true mental state was. She did not have a FB? Or any active social media?

Anyway jmo...
Never mind, found a Fb page

I’m sorry if my comment offended you, as this was not my intention. I was only commenting as to help clarify how Catholic Churches operate
I based solely off my personal experience when considering a parish transfer .. parish office told me I needed a release form signed by the pastor for my kids to attend Catholic school out of parish bounds.
As it pertains to Marilane, if she actually did convert to Catholicism-(which she probably did not, considering her strong Baptist roots)- your experience is more applicable than mine. She wouldn’t have been transferring parishes, but possibly joining one for the first time. So thank you for sharing and again, sorry if I offended you in any way.

We are all praying that she is reunited safely with her family. ❤️

I’m a practicing life long Catholic and we joined a Catholic Church outside of your neighborhood. We live a couple of streets over from a big Catholic Church. Never were we asked why we chose to attend a church across the city. First off, it’s really not their business and second, I was raised in a small, small community (500 pop.) and my young grandsons enjoy attending Sunday mass with us.

cats&trees?

Vehicle access to Tom Lee Park was closed to traffic last week. Actually all of Riverside Drive was closed which is how you would enter the park by vehicle. You could still walk in however and this park is directly along the Mississippi River. Closed due to covid.

I’m absolutely perplexed about the details of this case. I pray she is merely getting the help she needed somewhere.

I don’t believe she is hospitalized because their bank acct would have been charged a down payment most likely. And with her case making natl news, I can’t imagine drs not encouraging her to make contact with family.

I’m as cynical as they come, and I don’t suspect husband at all. He seems very concerned. I’d leave my kids with family friends too. They don’t need to see this drama yet.

How many plausible scenarios are there:

1. Left on own accord (another relationship, to receive medical care, or to get away);
2. Had car accident and hasn’t been found.
3. Car broke down and she met evil (worst case scenario)
4. Self harm

Last edited:
There is definitely a lot of chatter (re: time between her being missing & the initial police report, analysis of the husband's statements, etc) on Twitter starting several days ago, mostly comments on posts by "watchkeep"

I don’t believe she is hospitalized because their bank acct would have been charged a down payment most likely. And with her case making natl news, I can’t imagine drs nor encouraging her to make contact with family.

I’m as cynical as they come, and I don’t suspect husband at all. He seems very concerned. I’d leave my kids with family friends too. They don’t need to see this drama yet.

How many plausible scenarios are there:

1. Left on own accord (another relationship, to receive medical care, or to get away);
2. Had car accident and hasn’t been found.
3. Car broke down and she met evil (worst case scenario)
4. Self harm
You make some good points.
I will say some areas of Memphis aren’t safe and West Memphis, Arkansas is essentially one big truck stop. I wouldn’t feel safe and don’t stop there alone-ever.

I certainly wish large national news outlets would pick up this story. I believe it would garner a tremendous amount of attention and many of us have more time on our hands that we normally do. Due to covid alone, I know I’ve noticed out of state plates just because I’m wondering why in the world they are traveling in the midst of a pandemic. At the end of the day, there’s got to be some reason it’s not been reported on by the big news outlets-just my thoughts.

I’m sorry if my comment offended you, as this was not my intention. I was only commenting as to help clarify how Catholic Churches operate
I based solely off my personal experience when considering a parish transfer .. parish office told me I needed a release form signed by the pastor for my kids to attend Catholic school out of parish bounds.
As it pertains to Marilane, if she actually did convert to Catholicism-(which she probably did not, considering her strong Baptist roots)- your experience is more applicable than mine. She wouldn’t have been transferring parishes, but possibly joining one for the first time. So thank you for sharing and again, sorry if I offended you in any way.

We are all praying that she is reunited safely with her family. ❤️

It was nice of you to apologize but what you were saying was not untrue. It has also been my experience that some parishes require the paperwork if you're not planning to attend in your own neighborhood (even if joining for the first time). I think we can confidently say that this varies locally from parish to parish.

Last edited:
I don’t believe she is hospitalized because their bank acct would have been charged a down payment most likely.

You raise another good point--if she checked into a facility for mental health treatment, it's possible that there would have been some activity on whatever health insurance plan the family has (this is assuming, of course, that they *do* have health insurance)--for instance, if a co-payment was due at the time of admission, wouldn't that show up in the history of her/the family's health insurance plan? I suppose it's possible that she doesn't have health insurance, but I'd think that a seemingly middle-class family with three young kids and two employed adults would have some kind of coverage. It's also possible that a person could pay out of pocket rather than going through insurance, but inpatient mental health treatment is often costly so this seems less than likely to me.

You raise another good point--if she checked into a facility for mental health treatment, it's possible that there would have been some activity on whatever health insurance plan the family has (this is assuming, of course, that they *do* have health insurance)--for instance, if a co-payment was due at the time of admission, wouldn't that show up in the history of her/the family's health insurance plan? I suppose it's possible that she doesn't have health insurance, but I'd think that a seemingly middle-class family with three young kids and two employed adults would have some kind of coverage. It's also possible that a person could pay out of pocket rather than going through insurance, but inpatient mental health treatment is often costly so this seems less than likely to me.

I wondered if perhaps a sympathetic person may be helping Marilane. Could this person have paid out of pocket? Just speculation. I'd like to think if she is being helped and if safe to do so, that whoever that is helping might talk to her about at least letting family know she is okay. I hate to think of her kids suffering.

I clicked on the website linked in some of the tweets from that account (pretty creepy IMO) and see it belongs to a so-called "psychic"--so I definitely wouldn't put much stock in what that person is tweeting about.
I never look at psychics or pay any attention to their posts, I just asked what the OP was pointing too.

You make some good points.
I will say some areas of Memphis aren’t safe and West Memphis, Arkansas is essentially one big truck stop. I wouldn’t feel safe and don’t stop there alone-ever.

I certainly wish large national news outlets would pick up this story. I believe it would garner a tremendous amount of attention and many of us have more time on our hands that we normally do. Due to covid alone, I know I’ve noticed out of state plates just because I’m wondering why in the world they are traveling in the midst of a pandemic. At the end of the day, there’s got to be some reason it’s not been reported on by the big news outlets-just my thoughts.

Help-find, I'm in Memphis too and find it odd that the story isn't being covered here...unless I just missed it.

You wouldn't catch me driving alone in the area of West Memphis...lots of odd birds and plenty of crazies on both sides of the river.

I wonder if people remember that this is where the three boys were killed and the "West Memphis Three" were convicted but later released under weird circumstances (Alford pleas).

Find Marilane
1h ·
UPDATE 10PM August 10, 2020

Progress so far today:
- We have been working with dozens of hospitals to determine through durable power of attorney if Marilane may there.

- We are still in DESPERATE need of experienced boaters on the MS River with sonar. If you know ANYONE who could assist us tomorrow or Wednesday, please have them sign-up at www.FindMarilane.com

- The United Cajun Navy has been notified and is now coordinating assistance with sonar capabilities to rule out the MS river; however, the earliest these assets can arrive is Friday.

- The U.S. Coast Guard Mud Island Station is unable to deploy resources unless a specific possible entry point of Marilane's vehicle if it did in fact go into the MS River.

- Many additional leads and tips have been and are being fielded by law enforcement investigators both in the Memphis / West Memphis area as well as nationwide.

- Coordination appears to be increasing among law enforcement agencies covering KS, MS, TN, and AL.

- Tomorrow 1000 missing persons flyers will be available at a FedEx Office location for volunteers to post around the Memphis / West Memphis area - details to follow tomorrow on pick-up info, etc. - we will need volunteers to distribute and post.

FYI - Last week the area of the last cell phone ping of Marilane was searched by the Crittenden County Sheriff's Department by ground using 4-wheelers and also with drones. The Memphis Police Department est.1827 Air Unit flew a grid search mission as well in the last known ping location.

The family is holding hope and very thankful for the prayers, tips, and volunteers offering to help. We will continue to post updates as soon as we have them - as you have noticed, sometimes they are spaced out due to progress in action.

Pray. Share. Hope. Look. #FindMarilane ❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member