Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So did someone have a Durable POA for Marilane prior to her going missing, or was it recently obtained? Thoughts?

A durable power of attorney, sometimes called a DPOA for short, means there is language within the legal document providing that this power extends to your agent even in the event you become incapacitated and unable to make decisions for yourself.

A durable power of attorney generally remains in effect until the principal revokes the powers or dies, but can also be terminated if a court finds the document invalid or revokes the agent's authority, or if the principal gets divorced and the spouse was the agent.

A regular power of attorney, on the other hand, ends if you become incapacitated, which may be one good reason for having a durable power of attorney in place, depending on your needs. You may not want to discover that a regular power of attorney has ended—just when those powers could be needed most.

It would seem thats the only way to have one at this point. Have it in place beforehand.

Normally, I would say there is no LE presence because they believe she is voluntarily missing. I’m not sure what to think about the lack of LE coordination or press conference, or even local news. No coverage of searches, nothing. Why?
So did someone have a Durable POA for Marilane prior to her going missing, or was it recently obtained? Thoughts?

A durable power of attorney, sometimes called a DPOA for short, means there is language within the legal document providing that this power extends to your agent even in the event you become incapacitated and unable to make decisions for yourself.

A durable power of attorney generally remains in effect until the principal revokes the powers or dies, but can also be terminated if a court finds the document invalid or revokes the agent's authority, or if the principal gets divorced and the spouse was the agent.

A regular power of attorney, on the other hand, ends if you become incapacitated, which may be one good reason for having a durable power of attorney in place, depending on your needs. You may not want to discover that a regular power of attorney has ended—just when those powers could be needed most.

It would seem thats the only way to have one at this point. Have it in place beforehand.

Normally, I would say there is no LE presence because they believe she is voluntarily missing. I’m not sure what to think about the lack of LE coordination or press conference, or even local news. No coverage of searches, nothing. Why?
But didn't Adam say they couldn't find out if she had been admitted to a facility, unless they had a patient ID number? Now someone has a DPOA? Unless someone had it but he was unaware, it would appear they obtained it today?

I had a POA for my son when he went to Iraq, but this type I know nothing about.

has it been confirmed by her family (not her husband) that she suffered mental illness? is that definitely her in the hotel footage? have her friends come forward to say what the relationship was like in her marriage?

i hate that i am so cynical (and a little bit tainted by reading here, daily) that i accuse the husband right off the bat on these cases, but that's my gut feeling on this one. something about him is really off and insincere, in addition to the face-scratches. that he waited a week to report her missing and was in the area where she was on camera is sketchy, at best. if he is the only one who says she is "mentally ill" that is also a red flag. imo.

what do you guys think of this case?

has it been confirmed by her family (not her husband) that she suffered mental illness? is that definitely her in the hotel footage? have her friends come forward to say what the relationship was like in her marriage?

i hate that i am so cynical (and a little bit tainted by reading here, daily) that i accuse the husband right off the bat on these cases, but that's my gut feeling on this one. something about him is really off and insincere, in addition to the face-scratches. that he waited a week to report her missing and was in the area where she was on camera is sketchy, at best. if he is the only one who says she is "mentally ill" that is also a red flag. imo.

I think...
1. the reason for her heading to Birmingham has been misreported several times in MSM.
I've seen a.) mental health reasons, b.) to get help with a sleep disorder and c.) to be there when her sister's baby arrives. No idea which is true or if any are.

2. Her husband AC is genuine, and has absolutely nothing to do with this.

3. Due to the lack of banking activity for a person supposedly on a road trip (gas, food, lodging), she is likely deceased.

jmo

Statistically, it's always safer for a man to be alone, than for a woman to be alone.
The odds of her being found alive and safe, are very low. :([/QUOT

IMO I agree with you. Women are more often than men the target of sexual assault and men are in general more physically capable than women of defending themselves.

You are only echoing what I think. Something ain't right - there's a whole other story going on and it's not being shared for....reasons I suppose.

what do you guys think of this case?[/QUOT

IMO I agree with you about the insincerity-what was all the smiling about in the video of the husband?

Help-find, I'm in Memphis too and find it odd that the story isn't being covered here...unless I just missed it.

You wouldn't catch me driving alone in the area of West Memphis...lots of odd birds and plenty of crazies on both sides of the river.

I wonder if people remember that this is where the three boys were killed and the "West Memphis Three" were convicted but later released under weird circumstances (Alford pleas).

I am a notary and notarize many DPOA's a week. The ones I sign are for financial purposes so I can't speak to the medical DPOAs but they have to be notarized by both parties in person. However after some research it appears Kansas allows for electronic notarization with special executive orders, which I'm linking below. There are also medical exemptions you wouldn't need a signature but Marilane would not qualify for them so it doesn't matter. I'd be interested to know when these papers were notarized, drawn up and signed. If it was right after they had a child, 100% understandable, if it was last week I have some questions.

KS Governor Executive Orders (2020)

So glad to have another Memphis native on here! Glad to hear the Cajun army is heading here with sonar as this seems like the primary focus of the families efforts. The Mississippi River is SO swift moving it’s unlike any body of water I’ve ever experienced.

Channel 5 did a story several days ago. As did I believe 24. Nothing recent. This is truly one of the most strange missing persons cases I’ve seen.

IMO the details point to her leaving voluntarily, and do not point to foul play by the husband. a). Her mom knew she was leaving spoke to her sat/sun b) Husband preached Sunday morning many hours away from her location, c) She converted to Catholicism weeks prior which points to her wanting to make a life change.

The Coast Guard gave a statement to WMC Monday, saying they are aware of a missing woman but they likely would not conduct a search without evidence a person or vehicle went into the river.

At this point, no one has indicated or found any evidence that happened.

Crittenden County deputies searched the area under the bridge and levees but found no evidence of Marilane.

[...]
Family of Kansas woman last heard from in Memphis area wants search of Mississippi River
Updated August 11 at 8:07 AM (video at link)

IMO the details point to her leaving voluntarily, and do not point to foul play by the husband. a). Her mom knew she was leaving spoke to her sat/sun b) Husband preached Sunday morning many hours away from her location, c) She converted to Catholicism weeks prior which points to her wanting to make a life change.

I agree. It is possible she was unhappy but her husband did not harm her/cause her to vanish, imo.

This a truly respectful question. What is the Southern Baptist Church's teachings on divorce? Is it allowed, frowned on or is there a sort of ex-communication involved?
Good question. I don’t know the answer however another thought I’ve had is they are hesitant to say (perhaps) she was suicidal, which could be frowned upon in a religious capacity. Which is sad yet likely true.

things are hard for moms right now during the pandemic. I have one child under the age of 7, not THREE and it’s tough under the most ideal and supportive circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
disturbedprincess6