Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This a truly respectful question. What is the Southern Baptist Church's teachings on divorce? Is it allowed, frowned on or is there a sort of ex-communication involved?

My dad is a Southern Baptist pastor and my parents are divorced. My mom had an affair, so it was a "Biblical" divorce, but he could only keep his job as pastor of the church he built for 20 years if he remained unmarried. There's no way my dad could ever be single (he needs a woman to take care of him), so he resigned. He remarried a church member (his secretary) and went on to pastor other churches. My parents divorce was certainly a painful hiccup in his career, but in no way did it end it.

This situation w/ MC eerily reminds me of when my parents were first splitting. My dad kicked my mom out of the house when he discovered her affair, so she had to drive to her sister's house by herself 10 hours away. She made it safely, thank god, but she did contemplate suicide while staying there. Being in a pastor's family is psychologically difficult in many, many ways and my heart goes out to her.

Happy to try to answer any questions about the family/dynamics that might help the discussion
SB205sleuth, if you want to share details without having to link to reputable media posts or from the official Find Marilane facebook page please consider becoming an insider, otherwise your posts may be deleted as gossip or hearsay.

Here is how to do that: Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Really looking forward to reading your posts and thank you for chiming in!

SB205sleuth, if you want to share details without having to link to reputable media posts or from the official Find Marilane facebook page please consider becoming an insider, otherwise your posts may be deleted as gossip or hearsay.

Here is how to do that: Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Really looking forward to reading your posts and thank you for chiming in!
Thanks! I was unaware of this process and appreciate the info. I have now sent an email requesting insider approval.

Find Marilane

UPDATE 12:45PM CST August 11, 2020

Missing Person Posters READY

If you are in the Memphis / West Memphis areas and able to help, this message is for you. We need volunteers to help us distribute 1000 Find Marilane posters today.

Posters have already been paid for - we just need volunteers to post in all places within the 3-mile radius of Marilane's last known cell phone ping: 35°08'23.8"N 90°06'17.5"W which is near the Arkansas Weight Station on I-55 coming into Memphis.

Please first ask permission of property owners/managers prior to posting. Please also comment below on where you posted - and include a pic if you'd like.

The free posters are located at Fedex Office: 1130 N Germantown Parkway, Cordova, TN, 38016, from 8a-8p.

Let's plaster the area with flyers and let's find Marilane!

Share. Pray. Hope. Look. #FindMarilane

117376620_128139168689151_2411803439200190775_o.jpg 117619693_128140212022380_165625424004177031_o.png

I am a notary and notarize many DPOA's a week. The ones I sign are for financial purposes so I can't speak to the medical DPOAs but they have to be notarized by both parties in person. However after some research it appears Kansas allows for electronic notarization with special executive orders, which I'm linking below. There are also medical exemptions you wouldn't need a signature but Marilane would not qualify for them so it doesn't matter. I'd be interested to know when these papers were notarized, drawn up and signed. If it was right after they had a child, 100% understandable, if it was last week I have some questions.

KS Governor Executive Orders (2020)
I’m in Kansas and we had to get one simply so I could do things like tag both our cars since one was just in his name. He works out of town is never here during day hours. I had to just have him sign then I signed it at the tag place they noterized it there . It’s a POA which is odd that it didn’t need to be done with both signing at same time but it is in fact that simple now anyway.

I’m in Kansas and we had to get one simply so I could do things like tag both our cars since one was just in his name. He works out of town is never here during day hours. I had to just have him sign then I signed it at the tag place they noterized it there . It’s a POA which is odd that it didn’t need to be done with both signing at same time but it is in fact that simple now anyway.
Our DPOA's and medical only are only signed by the person granting power to _______ - usually a spouse if married. The person receiving this power does not sign. It is witnessed and notarized (and they can't be a witness either) It's a powerful document IMO.

Surprised that his signature that was signed outside of the presence of the notary was notorized...thought that was the purpose of a notorized signature. Interesting.

Last edited:
Surprised that his signature that was signed outside of the presence of the notary ...thought that was the purpose of a notorized signature. Interesting.
it sounds like they just notarized her signature? because if they notarized his, without him being present, and it's not through some new statute that allows remote notarization - this is a violation IMO.

What if she is "hiding out" at a convent? I know she couldn't join one as a married woman with dependent children, but people are able to stay at monasteries and convents for a time of reflection/healing. This would possibly explain no credit card use, phone use, and no vehicle sightings. They are typically cheaper than a hostel, if not free for members of the church, and most are unplugged from the news. Just a thought. IMO

What if she is "hiding out" at a convent? I know she couldn't join one as a married woman with dependent children, but people are able to stay at monasteries and convents for a time of reflection/healing. This would possibly explain no credit card use, phone use, and no vehicle sightings. They are typically cheaper than a hostel, if not free for members of the church, and most are unplugged from the news. Just a thought. IMO

There is a monastery in north mississippi.
Magnolia Grove Monastery - Batesville, MS

Has the conversion been confirmed?

Also, I think it was known that she was planning to visit her sister for a birth...true? And then the added part about sleeping disorder/mental issues was revealed later? Or was the entire trip on spur of the moment? I thought her mother had confirmed that it was a planned event.

Perhaps the family istrying to keep the conversion(if there was one) secret. Damage control. This could ruin her husband's career. Even if he were forced to give up his position as a Baptist minister, there are lots of non denominational contemporary churches popping up, but, I think they would require a husband and wife to be united in their beliefs. Her conversion could be the end of his career.

And their marriage, most likely. If she did in fact convert, without him knowing, I mean.
If he did know, his congregation is going to have a LOT of questions.

< modsnip>

Sadly, that is what makes it extremely hard to get out of an abusive situation for many women in the church. I am not saying that is what is happening here, but can you imagine if it were? Oftentimes, these relationships are all about a man's control as well. Control of finances, credit cards, checking, etc. If you didn't have the support around you, it would be incredibly difficult.

Additionally, some Southern Baptist conventions have free estate planning, will making etc if you agree to donate a percentage to the convention at death. This may be what could have been used to facilitate any and all documents including power of atty. Just a guess.

What do you guys think about the difference of her carrying the rolling suitcase at check in vs. rolling it at check out? I have been bothered by the suitcase because it was reported by the spokesperson that she left with not much, maybe a backpack. I don't see this as a backpack. My line of thinking...did she purchase this on the way? Would that be hard to do because of the time and stores not being open? Or, did she have a "bug out bag" as is suggested to many abused women that might be preparing to leave. Just my thoughts...

Edited: added source for my comments about estate planning. Foundation • KNCSB
Christian Estate Planning Seminars & Consultations
A Christian Estate Stewardship Seminar is a seminar providing information on Christian Wills and Revocable Living Trusts and is sponsored by the KNSBF at no cost to the local church or association. If you would like to schedule a seminar in your church or association, please contact Dr. Dennis Burns at (316) 644-7828 or email him at drdennisburns@gmail.com.

We provide legal services to write estate plans to members of KNCSB churches who will give a minimum of 10% of their estate to Baptist causes. Dr. Dennis Burns is available to come to your church and assist anyone who would like to invest in the Kingdom of God beginning now until the Lord returns. The estate plans that have been written are a tremendous force for missions in our Convention. We have received over $1 million from estate plans which provides nearly $50,000 annually in mission grants and scholarships for the Convention. Every believer should have a will dedicated to the stewardship of what God has given to them for the advancement of the Kingdom of God. If you do not have an estate plan yet, please contact Dr. Dennis Burns at (316) 644-7828 or send an e-mail to drdennisburns@gmail.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has the conversion been confirmed?

Also, I think it was known that she was planning to visit her sister for a birth...true? And then the added part about sleeping disorder/mental issues was revealed later? Or was the entire trip on spur of the moment? I thought her mother had confirmed that it was a planned event.

I am confident she became catholic because:
1. Leawood, KS is a small community and the odds of two people with that same name are rather rare.
2. A few people have checked and confirmed that there is only one Marilane Carter in the United States, she is 36 and living in Leawood, KS.
3. Someone else confirmed that she started following a Catholic priest on YouTube 4 months ago.
4. The job interview video for a catholic school (even though not all schools require their teachers to be catholic)
5. The church's bulletin showed her first communion on June 21st

There is some confusion around whether it was planned or not. We learned that she wanted to be there for her sister, yet the husband and BIL have said she left abruptly and with only a backpack (even though we saw her later with a suitcase - buying clothes for a long term convent stay?). Also, her leaving at 8:15 PM on a Saturday night ensured her husband couldn't join her, since he was preaching the next morning. Seems to me like she was planning something - just not sure anyone else knew of her true plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennilynn321