Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip>
Sadly, that is what makes it extremely hard to get out of an abusive situation for many women in the church. I am not saying that is what is happening here, but can you imagine if it were? Oftentimes, these relationships are all about a man's control as well. Control of finances, credit cards, checking, etc. If you didn't have the support around you, it would be incredibly difficult.

Additionally, some Southern Baptist conventions have free estate planning, will making etc if you agree to donate a percentage to the convention at death. This may be what could have been used to facilitate any and all documents including power of atty. Just a guess.

What do you guys think about the difference of her carrying the rolling suitcase at check in vs. rolling it at check out? I have been bothered by the suitcase because it was reported by the spokesperson that she left with not much, maybe a backpack. I don't see this as a backpack. My line of thinking...did she purchase this on the way? Would that be hard to do because of the time and stores not being open? Or, did she have a "bug out bag" as is suggested to many abused women that might be preparing to leave. Just my thoughts...

There is nothing at all to suggest she was in any kind of abusive relationship.
Not in MSM, anyway, as far as I've read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Magnolia Grove is the first thing that came to mind even though it is Buddhist as it is frequently visited by people locally looking for peace, mindfulness and to get off the grid.

It Appears there are two Catholic monasteries/convents in Mississippi, several in both Tennessee and Alabama (each region in those states have their own diocese). I definitely think it’s something to explore further. Jmo

What do you guys think about the difference of her carrying the rolling suitcase at check in vs. rolling it at check out? I have been bothered by the suitcase because it was reported by the spokesperson that she left with not much, maybe a backpack...

I think she carried it in to be quiet. She arrived in the middle of the night. I often pick up my roller suitcase and carry it when I’m trying to be respectful of those who are sleeping.

When she left, it was a more acceptable time to let her suitcase be noisy, or she was exhausted and didn’t carry it.

I don’t think it’s terribly strange that there’s been discrepancies on what she brought. When I travel alone, I doubt my significant other would be able to tell you what I took.

It’s far more bizarre that the family is withholding so many details when people ask. I understand that some questions seem irrelevant. But why are they not organizing ANY searches?! An acquaintance of mine disappeared earlier in the year. It, too, was a bit of a bizarre case, one in which voluntary disappearance may have been reasonable. The police were much more involved, though. More importantly—his friend organized canvassers/search parties EVERY SINGLE DAY, starting within 48 hours of his last text. The area was gridded out; people posted fliers and talked to local businesses. In addition to the police work! In this case, the police seem to be relatively uninvolved, further highlighting the importance of volunteer search crews.

I don’t mean to be insensitive, but thoughts and prayers are not going to find her. The tough questions need to be answered so that people can actually take action.

Two things puzzle me.

The first is, if she is the one on the church bulletin indicating converting to Catholic faith, why wouldn't she ask her name not be listed for the public to see.

The second is, when she checked into the motel at 3 am or thereabout and didn't stay long. Perhaps she was meeting someone who was helping her in making the next step in her journey. The observation of someone that she carried her suitcase in, indicating perhaps that it had nothing in it and was light and wheeled it out ( now heavy) makes me think someone met her and perhaps had what she would need to take the next steps.

I completely agree with you @OogWoog. She has a huge family & her husband is a pastor. There are many southern baptist churches here locally that would likely jump to the occasion - even during a pandemic - for this cause. It. Makes. No. Sense. Search parties, family/LE briefings, the largest national news outlets not reporting on it, hardly any word of the disappearance in Memphis-NONE OF THIS IS HAPPENING!!! I’m absolutely beyond confused.

To add-so today they have flyers printed off and can be picked up in cordova. That is easily 30 minutes + from where she was last heard from and they are asking for volunteers yet it’s not formally organized? Huh? Not to mention within 3 miles of that area is essentially truck stops (should be canvased but for safety in groups, etc) and the edge of downtown Memphis. I don’t know. It’s not adding up.

I mapped it out. The Flyers are 25 MILES away from where she was last heard from!!!!!

Last edited:
Marilane is in Namus but not entered UNTIL AUGUST 10th, 2020.
Here is her info and the detective on the case.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Circumstances
Date of Last ContactAugust 2, 2020
NamUs Case CreatedAugust 10, 2020
Last Known Location Map
LocationWest Plains, Missouri 65775
CountyHowell County
Missing From Tribal LandNo
Primary Residence on Tribal LandNo
Circumstances of DisappearanceMarilane Carter reportedly left her residence in Overland Park, KS on the evening of 08/01/20. She was en route to see family in Birmingham, Alabama. She stopped in West Plains, MO at a motel in the early morning hours of 08/02/20. She checked out about two hours later. Video surveillance confirms this. Family spoke to Marilane on the phone in the evening on 08/02/20, after she stopped at a service station/convenience store. She was reported to be near a bridge crossing over from West Memphis to Memphis. No one has had contact with Marilane since the evening of 08/02/20. Her last cell phone activity was in this area. Her family is concerned for her welfare.
Circumstance Notes
Marilane was driving a gray 2011 GMC Acadia - Kansas license tag 194LFY

Physical Description
Hair ColorBrown
Head Hair DescriptionLong shoulder length hair, wears it up in a pony tail with a base ball cap sometimes
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Descriptionsometimes wears glasses
Left Eye ColorGreen
Right Eye ColorGreen
Eye Description

Overland Park Police Department
(913) 895-6000

Agency Case Number2020-013033
Kathleen Wedel, Detective
--

Has the conversion been confirmed?

Also, I think it was known that she was planning to visit her sister for a birth...true? And then the added part about sleeping disorder/mental issues was revealed later? Or was the entire trip on spur of the moment? I thought her mother had confirmed that it was a planned event.

Here's one of the first reports from her BIL. The story has changed several times over time depending on who's reporting with the baby part coming later on.

Aug 06, 2020
Family: Missing Overland Park woman left to seek mental health treatment

“She made a quick decision to leave her home and make her way down to the Birmingham area to seek mental health counseling," said Brady McLaughlin, Carter's brother-in-law.

McLaughlin told 41 Action News that Carter, 36, left her Overland Park home abruptly around 8:15 p.m. on Saturday. According to McLaughlin, Carter was heading to Birmingham, Alabama, where most of her family is located, to seek mental health services.

“She didn’t really pack many bags, she was wearing the clothes that she wore and maybe a backpack and was planning on making the drive down," McLaughlin said.

Marilane is in Namus but not entered UNTIL AUGUST 10th, 2020.
Here is her info and the detective on the case.
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Circumstances
Date of Last ContactAugust 2, 2020
NamUs Case CreatedAugust 10, 2020
Last Known Location Map
LocationWest Plains, Missouri 65775
CountyHowell County
Missing From Tribal LandNo
Primary Residence on Tribal LandNo
Circumstances of DisappearanceMarilane Carter reportedly left her residence in Overland Park, KS on the evening of 08/01/20. She was en route to see family in Birmingham, Alabama. She stopped in West Plains, MO at a motel in the early morning hours of 08/02/20. She checked out about two hours later. Video surveillance confirms this. Family spoke to Marilane on the phone in the evening on 08/02/20, after she stopped at a service station/convenience store. She was reported to be near a bridge crossing over from West Memphis to Memphis. No one has had contact with Marilane since the evening of 08/02/20. Her last cell phone activity was in this area. Her family is concerned for her welfare.
Circumstance Notes
Marilane was driving a gray 2011 GMC Acadia - Kansas license tag 194LFY

Physical Description
Hair ColorBrown
Head Hair DescriptionLong shoulder length hair, wears it up in a pony tail with a base ball cap sometimes
Body Hair Description--
Facial Hair Descriptionsometimes wears glasses
Left Eye ColorGreen
Right Eye ColorGreen
Eye Description

Overland Park Police Department
(913) 895-6000

Agency Case Number2020-013033
Kathleen Wedel, Detective
--

Thank you for sharing this! So many questions about why this wasn't done sooner. I wish LE would have a presser or something, feel like this is languishing and may never be resolved.

I haven't listened to Gray's analysis but he is an allowed source.

At 14:34, it is reported that on Monday morning [August 3, 2020] a woman in northern Mississippi claimed that she gave Marilane $10 for gas. According to Adam Carter, this sighting was not able to be confirmed by security camera footage, but two employees [of the gas station/convenience store] have said that they feel very strongly that they did see here there.

Gray's take on it is that she has some mental health issues.

Did we have any more info on the passerby giving MC money? This is so concerning to me.

I feel like of course the family wouldn't want this to be out there in the media.

MC could have left suddenly and may not have had access to the accounts/cash, etc.?

MOO just wondering out loud

I thought the scratches or marks on his face could be "maskne". Not that I'm not giving him all kinds of other side eye.

Another poster mentioned this way back at the beginning and I concur, she does she eerily like Madison Bell. Like a WOW amount, to me.

I also find it really, really strange if she did in fact convert to Catholicism, coming from such a strong religious background, to change faiths. That's not a light decision, and would have so many reverberations. I'm not articulating this well. I wish we knew for sure if it was her or not. I tend to think it was, because I think the chances of another Marilane Carter is the same community would be very small, and no one has found another lady with the same name.

I hope she's found soon.

MOO

ETA after reading @Ontario Mom 's very wise deduction that it could just be a typo, okay, probably NOT
The Coast Guard gave a statement to WMC Monday, saying they are aware of a missing woman but they likely would not conduct a search without evidence a person or vehicle went into the river.

At this point, no one has indicated or found any evidence that happened.

Crittenden County deputies searched the area under the bridge and levees but found no evidence of Marilane.

[...]
Family of Kansas woman last heard from in Memphis area wants search of Mississippi River
Updated August 11 at 8:07 AM (video at link)
But didn't Adam say they couldn't find out if she had been admitted to a facility, unless they had a patient ID number? Now someone has a DPOA? Unless someone had it but he was unaware, it would appear they obtained it today?

I had a POA for my son when he went to Iraq, but this type I know nothing about.
I am confident she became catholic because:
1. Leawood, KS is a small community and the odds of two people with that same name are rather rare.
2. A few people have checked and confirmed that there is only one Marilane Carter in the United States, she is 36 and living in Leawood, KS.
3. Someone else confirmed that she started following a Catholic priest on YouTube 4 months ago.
4. The job interview video for a catholic school (even though not all schools require their teachers to be catholic)
5. The church's bulletin showed her first communion on June 21st

There is some confusion around whether it was planned or not. We learned that she wanted to be there for her sister, yet the husband and BIL have said she left abruptly and with only a backpack (even though we saw her later with a suitcase - buying clothes for a long term convent stay?). Also, her leaving at 8:15 PM on a Saturday night ensured her husband couldn't join her, since he was preaching the next morning. Seems to me like she was planning
Magnolia Grove is the first thing that came to mind even though it is Buddhist as it is frequently visited by people locally looking for peace, mindfulness and to get off the grid.

It Appears there are two Catholic monasteries/convents in Mississippi, several in both Tennessee and Alabama (each region in those states have their own diocese). I definitely think it’s something to explore further. Jmo
I am confident she became catholic because:
1. Leawood, KS is a small community and the odds of two people with that same name are rather rare.
2. A few people have checked and confirmed that there is only one Marilane Carter in the United States, she is 36 and living in Leawood, KS.
3. Someone else confirmed that she started following a Catholic priest on YouTube 4 months ago.
4. The job interview video for a catholic school (even though not all schools require their teachers to be catholic)
5. The church's bulletin showed her first communion on June 21st

There is some confusion around whether it was planned or not. We learned that she wanted to be there for her sister, yet the husband and BIL have said she left abruptly and with only a backpack (even though we saw her later with a suitcase - buying clothes for a long term convent stay?). Also, her leaving at 8:15 PM on a Saturday night ensured her husband couldn't join her, since he was preaching the next morning. Seems to me like she was planning something - just not sure anyone else knew of her true plans.

She was applying for the teacher position at a Catholic school? I totally missed that!!

IMO, MS River is location of Marilane and her car. I hope not, but that seems to be the most logical place to me, at this time.
From the views I’ve done on google maps and what some have said it would of been impossible to enter the water heading into the bridge or out. Maybe someone closer can verify

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neejo