Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Several people that looked in that area have stated the doors to the shipping container were closed. So, in the news article, they meant not open, but unlocked? Can you close the doors from the inside? You can see where her tires were in the container, so she’d had to gone out the back hatch to close them.

Maybe she was paranoid and thought she could hide there. Maybe it was night when drove into it to feel safer.

If the police said no foul play, is it obvious how she was killed or did she leave a note?

To my understanding, that area is known to be under water some parts of the year. If so, and if the water had risen, think how long it would have taken to have found her.

I have so many questions.

Not looking inside the shipping containers while they were searching for a missing woman would be like not looking inside an old refrigerator that was sitting out in the field when you were searching for a small child. I couldn’t have walked away without peeking inside. People have used shipping containers for torture chambers, for goodness sake!
Don’t get me wrong, I back the blue, but it is only common sense that a woman traveling alone who went missing in the manner that she did, would not necessarily have still been in possession of her vehicle. I would hate to think that someone in law-enforcement didn’t take her disappearance seriously enough to look for a person, not just her car.
We all make mistakes. Unfortunately, this mistake was three shipping containers sitting in plain sight near the area of her last cell ping.
I hope they impounded the vehicle before anyone accidentally contaminated the scene...or moved the driver’s seat.
MOO
I think that’s strange, too. It would be my instinct to look inside them just to clear that they were either locked or empty, just in case even a body would be in there. Maybe that’s just too many decades of true crime, but I’d think a police person would think that way, too. JMO

https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/kansas/article245064435.html

Searchers had seen the storage units, but didn’t look inside because they assumed the units were locked.

So at least some of the 3 storage units' doors were closed enough to appear they were closed and locked. And as LE could see the doors enough to assume they were locked, all 3 units had their doors facing the road (ie: she didn't have to drive around and enter one from the side closer to the field).

But the one she was found in was open enough so that her Uncle could see there was a vehicle. But if it was partially closed with those heavy doors, then who closed it?

Really. You are looking for a missing person and you don't open the 3 largest places one could conceal a vehicle or a body?

It's also surprising that someone who owns or works that field would not have visited it in the last two weeks and noticed something was amis.

Knowing LE was looking for a missing person very close to their location, would they have made a trip out there just to check?

I think there would definitely have been an odor

When I read the news I immediately felt relief for the family (In the sense that they have closure) and yet so incredibly sad. IMO, she really must have been dealing with a lot of anguish and pain.
My take on this is that she initially went to the hotel to commit suicide but couldn’t go through with it and really thought it through-that it would be too obvious perhaps. Then she left the hotel, gassed up (am I correct here?), and found the shipping container in daylight. Maybe the shipping container gave her the dark, secluded place she needed in order to go though with suicide. I know my car gives me comfort, so maybe she felt comfortable doing so in her car. This is all MOO, just throwing in my thoughts.

Does anyone know which field it was?

There is one north of I-55 accessed by Bridgeport Road and one south of I-55 also accessed by Briport Road.

The one south of I-55 looks more like the photograph, as it has the tree to the right of the road.

There is also a BASF Chemical Plant about 400 ft from the southern field. It might not have been working because of COVID, but security people would have been passing past that field.

When I read the news I immediately felt relief for the family (In the sense that they have closure) and yet so incredibly sad. IMO, she really must have been dealing with a lot of anguish and pain.
My take on this is that she initially went to the hotel to commit suicide but couldn’t go through with it and really thought it through-that it would be too obvious perhaps. Then she left the hotel, gassed up (am I correct here?), and found the shipping container in daylight. Maybe the shipping container gave her the dark, secluded place she needed in order to go though with suicide. I know my car gives me comfort, so maybe she felt comfortable doing so in her car. This is all MOO, just throwing in my thoughts.
I was thinking the same thoughts. Breaks my heart for everyone involved.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/kansas/article245064435.html

Searchers had seen the storage units, but didn’t look inside because they assumed the units were locked.

I have a feeling that at the time the searches were going on that area they were rushed searches. This was right after she was reported missing, if I'm not mistaken. LE was probably still putting the pieces together, trying to determine what was truth. So when they searched they were focused on finding her SUV. All my opinion. I really hate to say why I think her uncle was lead to that shipping container but so many are found because of the odor of the deceased person.

You should listen to the embedded presser with the Sheriff’s Office Chief. Several times he mentioned they had all seen the containers and never thought to look as they were looking for a vehicle. He did say it was private property. Most important to me was that he said FBI agents were on scene when her vehicle was located. Missing Overland Park woman's vehicle found in Arkansas
Crittenden County Sheriff's Office Chief Todd Grooms said during a press conference that Carter's uncle discovered the vehicle in a Conex trailer that was hidden by tall grass in an area that had previously been searched.
[...]
“To be honest with you, I don’t know what I was expecting," Grooms said. "I was hoping for a more positive outcome, where she would show up somewhere and had maybe been somewhere getting some mental health treatment.”

I have a feeling that at the time the searches were going on that area they were rushed searches. This was right after she was reported missing, if I'm not mistaken. LE was probably still putting the pieces together, trying to determine what was truth. So when they searched they were focused on finding her SUV. All my opinion. I really hate to say why I think her uncle was lead to that shipping container but so many are found because of the odor of the deceased person.

He did a brave and loving thing persevering when I'm sure he realized the worst had happened.

Bless him

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> I’ve been on here since 2014 although I hadn’t used it much in the last three years but just recently got back on and have gotten active in it again in the last few months being stuck at home due to COVID. Yes this is indeed a sad case. Most of the cases I follow are old ones but this one really hit close to home. She has been in my prayers and I was hoping she would come home. It must be really hard for her family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so I just watched the local news coverage and they specifically stated “no foul play expected”. She must have had a break. Perhaps she was looking for a place to “hide”. Time will tell how she died. Absolutely tragic. This area appears to be the area down by the big river crossing right off the interstate. On a dirt road as she reported to her mom. Goodness.

For anyone not local, Memphis WREG channel 3 was the station on the scene. They reported directly in front of the actual shipping container. More to come on the 10pm news. Absolutely tragic. My heart sinks thinking she was down there for 2+ weeks. I’m glad her family stayed in town to continue to look for her. It was her uncle who located her vehicle and he called Crittenden county AR authorities.

I just keep thinking to myself "Oh my god. She got out of the car talking to her mom, Opened this door, Drove inside, And then died shortly after the call ended" Im in absolute shock.

He did a brave and loving thing persevering when I'm sure he realized the worst had happened.

Bless him

I worked in mental health for a long time. I suspected suicide from the beginning, but everyone was so hopeful that I didn't want to say. I will be completely shocked if it is anything but suicide. Not an accidental driving into a shipping container. Not lost in a shipping container. Not killed and driven into a shipping container. A big clue is how long it was taking her to get from point a to b to c. She wasn't traveling at a normal rate and then ended up in a shipping container. She was wandering. If she was lost, she would have asked at the gas station. She was just wandering and probably looking for a place to do it, too. Getting gas isn't super unusual for suicide. I've seen it before. I dont know if its going on as usual or just passing time or carbon monoxide related. But its not unusual.

I hope her family and kids find peace. She was determined and no one could stop her, so there even though they will feel lots of guilt, it is none of their faults. Rest easy, marilane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member