Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked in mental health for a long time. I suspected suicide from the beginning, but everyone was so hopeful that I didn't want to say. I will be completely shocked if it is anything but suicide. Not an accidental driving into a shipping container. Not lost in a shipping container. Not killed and driven into a shipping container. A big clue is how long it was taking her to get from point a to b to c. She wasn't traveling at a normal rate and then ended up in a shipping container. She was wandering. If she was lost, she would have asked at the gas station. She was just wandering and probably looking for a place to do it, too. Getting gas isn't super unusual for suicide. I've seen it before. I dont know if its going on as usual or just passing time or carbon monoxide related. But its not unusual.

I hope her family and kids find peace. She was determined and no one could stop her, so there even though they will feel lots of guilt, it is none of their faults. Rest easy, marilane.

After suffering a mental break last year, I have no memory of it. None. I did and said some very out of character and humiliating things. In a distressed state already, I don’t think Marilane would’ve necessarily been thinking clearly. Both the stress and insomnia could’ve caused a break. I’m not sure she was in control of herself anymore. I don’t think there’d be a way to prove that. Bless, I know we all feel so badly for her and her family and friends. Insomnia alone can really mess with your head. It might’ve been what clouded her judgment just enough to go through with self harm, if that’s the case. It’s all just very tragic. JMO

I worked in mental health for a long time. I suspected suicide from the beginning, but everyone was so hopeful that I didn't want to say. I will be completely shocked if it is anything but suicide. Not an accidental driving into a shipping container. Not lost in a shipping container. Not killed and driven into a shipping container. A big clue is how long it was taking her to get from point a to b to c. She wasn't traveling at a normal rate and then ended up in a shipping container. She was wandering. If she was lost, she would have asked at the gas station. She was just wandering and probably looking for a place to do it, too. Getting gas isn't super unusual for suicide. I've seen it before. I dont know if its going on as usual or just passing time or carbon monoxide related. But its not unusual.

I hope her family and kids find peace. She was determined and no one could stop her, so there even though they will feel lots of guilt, it is none of their faults. Rest easy, marilane.

I agree pretty much with all you’ve said. I felt a suicide was bound to be the outcome but feared she might not be found for a long time.

Body of missing Kansas mom likely found, officials say | FOX 2
A quote from the above article states that:
"The sheriff’s office said Carter’s family came down this weekend to search for her, but eventually, everyone returned home — except her uncle.

Tuesday morning, he was driving and walking around the area where Carter’s phone last pinged when he came across three big shipping containers in a field. The door on one of the containers was opened.” (Bold, underlined added by me.)

Do you think this is a simple typo or do you think he opened the door of one of the closed containers? I’ve read the reason other people searching for MC didn’t look inside these containers was that the doors were closed. MOO

Several posters came up with ideas that have helped me make sense of this crazy scenario.

My best guess....<modsnip>
....her spiritual turmoil, her constricted life as a pastor's wife, and her depressed or delusional mental state. She decided to take control of the situation by saying that she would drive herself rather than get on a plane. Maybe she told him that she had a bad premonition about the plane ride, or maybe she left in a hurry because they had a big fight about everything.

If she left after a fight, she probably called her husband on the road to say that she would just go ahead and drive to Alabama because they needed time apart. This way she would be left alone while she looked for a place to end her life. I'm a bit perplexed about why she brought a little suitcase along, but this is a crazy situation. Her husband claimed she left with nothing, I think, which makes me think they did have a fight. On the other hand she had enough time to pack this suitcase secretly.

By this point, he had little choice but to accept what she was saying because she was long gone. He probably wanted to believe her story regarding driving herself to Alabama.

The reason that it took her so long to get from point a to point b to point c is because she was looking for someplace hidden to end her life--a place like the container that she ended up in.

Yes it's a very odd place to end up, but I would think that you would want privacy in a situation like that. You don't want to go into a Walmart parking lot that's lit up with a million bright lights where someone might find you, especially if you're going to take pills and you don't know how long it will take. Or perhaps she hoped that the containers were abandoned and she wouldn't be found for many years. Maybe she thought this would be less traumatic for her family?

I don't think that the long trip was due to napping on the road. If she'd wanted to sleep, she would have stayed at the hotel for much longer, but she was on a mission. she may have checked into the hotel so that it would show up on her credit card and her husband would think that she was okay so that he would leave her alone.

Maybe she took a bunch of pills, or maybe she used a hose pipe. You do not have to be indoors to die from sitting in a car with carbon monoxide being pumped inside. Or maybe she had a gun. Either way, the end result was the same.

Just thought I'd share my theory based on what other people before me have suggested. It's very sad that she wasn't able to get the help that she needed after having 3 children and doing so many good things in her life.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's also surprising that someone who owns or works that field would not have visited it in the last two weeks and noticed something was amis.

Knowing LE was looking for a missing person very close to their location, would they have made a trip out there just to check?

I think there would definitely have been an odor

Memphis local news said the field had been checked several times but no one looked in the containers. Weird and really dumb.

It's weird what happens to you physically when you open a thread after half a day away and see "Found Deceased". Almost like an electric shock.

The only positive thing I see in this news is that her family can now have closure. Otherwise this is incredibly tragic.

Prayers for peace for all those who loved her. There's simply no easy way thru it.

Just to clarify,as you see below, the door to the one her car was in was OPEN. So sad. She was so close all that time. The dirt road like she told her mom, right by where she got gas. Devastated for the family. It sounds like they didn't realize the extent of her mental health issues. She may have had a break and things deteriorated very quickly. So sad.

I agree @fLcrime20 . Also, mental health issues are so misunderstood and ignored. Frankly most of us don’t know what to look for. Seems hard for many in general to understand how conditions can spiral quickly. What’s not being understood here, IMO is all the confusion before she even got to West Memphis. Clearly her trip had been wrought with confusion. That person giving you are hard time in your family or work or whatever, may be suffering and neither of you have a definition for what it could be.

Wish people would seek to know more, read articles, more openness in the medical world to train workers and people suffering. Seems from the neck up, serious problems are mostly ignored.

Would someone kindly recap the conversation she had with her mom and Adam? I assume she spoke with them while traveling and they became concerned?

such a sad ending to a life most people thought was perfect. Which was probably part of the problem. I’m not a religion person, but I do pray for those little kiddos. I hope they will remember her with love.

You should listen to the embedded presser with the Sheriff’s Office Chief. Several times he mentioned they had all seen the containers and never thought to look as they were looking for a vehicle. He did say it was private property. Most important to me was that he said FBI agents were on scene when her vehicle was located. Missing Overland Park woman's vehicle found in Arkansas
Crittenden County Sheriff's Office Chief Todd Grooms said during a press conference that Carter's uncle discovered the vehicle in a Conex trailer that was hidden by tall grass in an area that had previously been searched.
[...]
“To be honest with you, I don’t know what I was expecting," Grooms said. "I was hoping for a more positive outcome, where she would show up somewhere and had maybe been somewhere getting some mental health treatment.”

MOO
Since trailer was hidden by tall grass...wouldn't there have been tire tracks and "mowed down" grass leading to the container?

MOO
Since trailer was hidden by tall grass...wouldn't there have been tire tracks and "mowed down" grass leading to the container?
I would personally expect so?

I mean... We have a patch of grass in our yard that gets 4' tall if you dont mow it often... If you merely walk through it, There's a path where you walked through the grass?

This wasnt freshly cut 3 inch tall grass- By these pictures it looks TALL- At least a foot tall? I'd imagine that it would DEF have a noticable indent where something crossed.

HOWEVER.
Alot of folks use shipping containers to store their vintage cars, ATV,Fourwheelers, Motorcycles,Other Wheeled vehicles, So Maybe it could be overlooked? I Mean... I wouldnt have overlooked it IMO, But you never know I suppose.

They didn’t look in any of them because they appeared closed and locked?

How heavy are those doors?
Could they have been more difficult to close after being exposed to the elements (rusty).
Wonder if the property belonged to an individual or corporation?
Why was the gate open? Frequent people accessing the property? Is it just vacant land with unused containers?

Maybe someone can chime in here....does the position of the vehicle on the tow truck mean anything? It was facing forward, the same direction the tow truck is driving. Would this insinuate that the vehicle was backed into the shipping container? I think this would make the vehicle less visible because then it would just be the front end right at the opening of the shipping container rather than the back of the car which is much taller.

I only say this because it makes such a difference in perception for me when I back my suv into my garage verses pulling in head on.

It could mean nothing but it would obviously be much more apparent that the uncle could see her body in the vehicle, deceased, if it was backed in. This, perhaps, could have made the idea of carbon monoxide poisoning easier.

Maybe someone can chime in here....does the position of the vehicle on the tow truck mean anything? It was facing forward, the same direction the tow truck is driving. Would this insinuate that the vehicle was backed into the shipping container? I think this would make the vehicle less visible because then it would just be the front end right at the opening of the shipping container rather than the back of the car which is much taller.

I only say this because it makes such a difference in perception for me when I back my suv into my garage verses pulling in head on.

It could mean nothing but it would obviously be much more apparent that the uncle could see her body in the vehicle, deceased, if it was backed in. This, perhaps, could have made the idea of carbon monoxide poisoning easier.

My guess would be the position of the vehicle on the tow truck wouldn’t have much to do with how it was pulled into the container. They likely removed the vehicle from the container and then removed her body before loading the tow truck. MOO

My guess would be the position of the vehicle on the tow truck wouldn’t have much to do with how it was pulled into the container. They likely removed the vehicle from the container and then removed her body before loading the tow truck. MOO
Actually- at least in my state- She wouldve still been in the car :( The whole lot would've been hauled off to the lab, Marilane included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli