Found Deceased KS - Marilane Carter, 36, Overland Park, enroute to Birmingham, 1 Aug, call from Memphis, 2 Aug 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's really strange LE did not search these containers. Or at least have a look around. Her vehicle could have been parked behind one of these containers.
Her body could be behind one of those containers if foul play was involved.

They didn't know what they were looking for. Marilane could have abandoned her car somewhere and try to hide or find shelter somewhere.

She could have been carjacked, murdered and her body could have been hidden somewhere. Etc.
Don't they always ask searchers/the public to look inside sheds etc. when someone is missing? Why didn't they do that?

It's like they had tunnel vision. Only looking for a woman and a car. And a woman that most likely harmed herself or had an accident.

Does anyone know the source of her having mental issues?
Was it only the husband? Or did family members, friends or other people confirm that as well?

Did the family members she was going to visit know about her possibly seeking treatment?

My guess would be the position of the vehicle on the tow truck wouldn’t have much to do with how it was pulled into the container. They likely removed the vehicle from the container and then removed her body before loading the tow truck. MOO

https://twitter.com/LukeJonesTV/status/1295844269153038338/photo/1

something is wrong with these tire marks. Like the car was dragged in stead of drove.

I suspect the car was dragged out by the tow truck. No one could have gotten into the front seat to put the car in neutral so it would roll out. I have seen cars in my neighborhood dragged by a tow truck into position to be winched up onto the truck.

Or she gunned it to get into the container and then slammed on brakes. I'm assuming she drove into the container and didn't back in.

I suspect the car was dragged out by the tow truck. No one could have gotten into the front seat to put the car in neutral so it would roll out. I have seen cars in my neighborhood dragged by a tow truck into position to be winched up onto the truck.

Wouldn't you put it in neutral once you were in there?
My car's manuel so I put it in neutral before I take my left foot off the pedal. Or else it wil jump a little forward and die.

I don't know what happens with automatic transmission when it's not in neutral. Can you just leave it in 'drive'?

Was her care automatic or manuel?

I do wish a mental health expert would weigh in here but here’s what I think. Depression, generalized anxiety, it’s stuff many deal with. But when it progresses to idealization of suicide : that one is tough to pick up on. IMO once the sufferer decides upon that escape route, they can be focused and cunning. The last thing they want is to be thwarted. Remember the case of Kristin Westra in Maine? Several years ago? She was asked, mere hours before, iirc, if she felt suicidal. She smoothed everything over. She expressed she’d be fine.
What should her husband have done differently?? Would my intuition have been any better? Doubt it. Bless him, he’s a victim who will never be the same.

To me it’s a catch-22. The loved one , even if they have fears, certainly doesn’t want to plant ideas by insisting that, yes, I believe you ARE suicidal!

I guess it just breaks my heart to imagine the agony of self-reproach the family goes thru, and yet so often it’s not deserved or fair. And God forbid any finger pointing. As if the loss and the shock wasn’t enough to endure.

All just my opinion from a heart that cares.

I do wish a mental health expert would weigh in here but here’s what I think. Depression, generalized anxiety, it’s stuff many deal with. But when it progresses to idealization of suicide : that one is tough to pick up on. IMO once the sufferer decides upon that escape route, they can be focused and cunning. The last thing they want is to be thwarted. Remember the case of Kristin Westra in Maine? Several years ago? She was asked, mere hours before, iirc, if she felt suicidal. She smoothed everything over. She expressed she’d be fine.
What should her husband have done differently?? Would my intuition have been any better? Doubt it. Bless him, he’s a victim who will never be the same.

To me it’s a catch-22. The loved one , even if they have fears, certainly doesn’t want to plant ideas by insisting that, yes, I believe you ARE suicidal!

I guess it just breaks my heart to imagine the agony of self-reproach the family goes thru, and yet so often it’s not deserved or fair. And God forbid any finger pointing. As if the loss and the shock wasn’t enough to endure.

All just my opinion from a heart that cares.

If she was on the phone with family saying she was lost. To me that feels like you're trying to get somewhere and not looking for a spot to kill yourself.

Had she been wanting to kill herself, she could have said: 'I'm fine, call you later'.
Also you don't go to a hotel first. Fill up with gas, get ice water etc.
I feel like she was planning to go from A to B. B. being her relatives.

We don't know what happened inside that container and how she died.
We also don't know what exactly she said during that last phonecall.
Knowing what she said during that last phone call might change my mind however.

Wouldn't you put it in neutral once you were in there?
My car's manuel so I put it in neutral before I take my left foot off the pedal. Or else it wil jump a little forward and die.

I don't know what happens with automatic transmission when it's not in neutral. Can you just leave it in 'drive'?

Was her care automatic or manuel?
I assumed she pulled in frontwards, stopped the car put it in park and let it run. I think was is the most telling is whether the gas tank is empty or not. Perhaps, that is the first thing that LE noted.

https://twitter.com/LukeJonesTV/status/1295844269153038338/photo/1

something is wrong with these tire marks. Like the car was dragged in stead of drove.
I agree with others that this is because the crossover was dragged. The tow truck probably lifted the rear tires and pulled it out. I notice a couple other things about this picture. There was no way the doors could have been opened once it had been pulled in - other than the hatch, which a person can climb back to pretty easily in an Acadia. Also, there was a pool of liquid collected around the front driver's tire. I believe that this was probably condensation from the air conditioner and that there was enough of it to suggest that she ran the air conditioner (and the engine, producing carbon monoxide) inside the container.

2018-gmc-acadia-cargo-all-down.jpg

Edited to add a picture of an Acadia with its second and third row seats laid flat to illustrate how easily one can go out the hatch. These cars are popular for camping out of for exactly this reason.

Last edited:
I assumed she pulled in frontwards, stopped the car put it in park and let it run. I think was is the most telling is whether the gas tank is empty or not. Perhaps, that is the first thing that LE noted.

But she wouldn't have been able to get out of the car to close the doors. So she couldn't have killed herself that way.

Does anyone know the source of her having mental issues?
Was it only the husband? Or did family members, friends or other people confirm that as well?

Did the family members she was going to visit know about her possibly seeking treatment?
According to MC's mother, her daughter was having difficulty sleeping. Sleep deprivation with a young family is difficult but I don't think her mom and sister and extended family would have encouraged her to come for the visit if she was having mental issues.

I'm very curious if she was taking Ambien...

Kansas woman who disappeared on her way to Alabama was going to see sister's newborn baby

Aug 7, 2020

A mother of three from Kansas was on her way to Birmingham to help with her sister's birth and seek therapy for a sleeping problem before she disappeared, according to her family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member