KS - Michel Cherry charged with raping and murdering 5-year old Zoey Felix - Oct 4, 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Indy_ar

Reaction score
He knew the victim but the relation is not being disclosed at this time

A homeless man was arrested in Kansas on Tuesday for the alleged rape and murder of a 5-year-old girl.

Mickel W. Cherry, a 25-year-old from Topeka, was booked into Shawnee Co. Jail around 4:15 a.m. on suspicion of murder in the first degree and rape where the offender is 18 or older, and the victim is less than 14,

It seems from the link that the dysfunction among this group was so bad that it was criminal (in the case of mom to Zoey). What an incredible tragedy! This sweet young girl never had a chance. I hope the murderer rots in prison but also that there are major consequences for her mother who had kicked her out of the house at 5 years old.

From Slain 5-Year-Old Had Been Kicked Out By Mom, Made To Camp Outside: Neighbors : Neighbors told the Topeka Capital-Journal that Cherry had previously been living in the same home as Zoey, along with several other people. About two weeks ago, Zoey’s mother reportedly kicked them all out. They went to live in a campsite less than a mile away......

According to the Capital Journal, citing court documents, Zoey’s mother pleaded guilty in March to aggravated battery causing bodily harm with a deadly weapon to a child born in 2018 identified by the initials Z.F.

“Everybody on the block took care of Zoey,” Sheryl Tyree, a local who frequents the neighborhood, told the news outlet. “Everybody loved Zoey, except her parents.”

Here we go again, with adults knowing and doing nothing to protect children. People have got to be upset enough to start calling authorities when they see children in the state this baby lived in.
This child's mother tried to kill her,was given probation, and the opportunity to hurt her even more.
I'm disgusted! And my heart hearts for Zoey.
I have a 2nd grader named Zoey and a 1st grader who looks just like this sweet Zoey.

It seems from the link that the dysfunction among this group was so bad that it was criminal (in the case of mom to Zoey). What an incredible tragedy! This sweet young girl never had a chance. I hope the murderer rots in prison but also that there are major consequences for her mother who had kicked her out of the house at 5 years old.

From Slain 5-Year-Old Had Been Kicked Out By Mom, Made To Camp Outside: Neighbors : Neighbors told the Topeka Capital-Journal that Cherry had previously been living in the same home as Zoey, along with several other people. About two weeks ago, Zoey’s mother reportedly kicked them all out. They went to live in a campsite less than a mile away......

According to the Capital Journal, citing court documents, Zoey’s mother pleaded guilty in March to aggravated battery causing bodily harm with a deadly weapon to a child born in 2018 identified by the initials Z.F.

“Everybody on the block took care of Zoey,” Sheryl Tyree, a local who frequents the neighborhood, told the news outlet. “Everybody loved Zoey, except her parents.”
I see that one article reports neighbors did report Zoey's living situations.

Zoe-Felix-Mickel-Cherry.jpg

A 25-year-old man in Kansas is facing the steepest possible legal penalties for allegedly sexually assaulting and killing a 5-year-old girl. Mickel Wayne Cherry was taken into custody on Tuesday and charged with one count of first-degree murder in the commission of a felony and one count of raping a victim under the age of 14 in the horrific slaying of Zoey Felix, jail records reviewed by Law&Crime show.

Officers with the Topeka Police Department on Monday at about 6 p.m. responded to a call about a young girl — later identified as Zoey — suffering from life-threatening injuries at a Dillons located in the 2000 block of S.E. 29th Street in Topeka, according to court documents obtained by Topeka NBC affiliate KSNT. Upon arriving at the location, emergency medical personnel with the Topeka Fire Department were already on the scene performing life-saving measures on the child before rushing her to a local hospital for treatment.

Unfortunately, she succumbed to her injuries and was pronounced dead a short time after arriving at the facility.

Zoey’s death was determined to be suspicious and authorities immediately began treating the investigation as a homicide.

Sources close to the investigation reportedly told Topeka CBS affiliate WIBW that Cherry and the victim were not related, but said that Zoey had recently been living in the same outdoor homeless camp as Cherry.

Neighbors told The Topeka Capital-Journal that Zoey had lived in a decrepit house that often had no lights or running water with her mother, a teenage sister, and an adult male who was allegedly a convicted child molester. It is not clear whether the alleged child molester previously living with Zoey and her family was Cherry or another man.

I have so many questions about this! Where was the mother?! Why was this CHILD kicked out of her house?

<modsnip: No link to an approved source for information stated as fact> How does this happen?! How does "the system" keep failing so horrendously? And, while I'm not laying blame, necessarily, but why didn't any of the neighborhood folks make some calls to social services if they knew she was in need of help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Neighbors told the Topeka Capital-Journal that Cherry had previously been living in the same home as Zoey, along with several other people. About two weeks ago, Zoey’s mother reportedly kicked them all out. They went to live in a campsite less than a mile away.

[snip]
According to jail records reviewed by HuffPost, Cherry is being held on $2 million bond and is scheduled to appear in court Dec. 21.
Slain 5-Year-Old Had Been Kicked Out By Mom, Made To Live At Campsite: Neighbors

A [funding site] campaign has been launched by Zoey’s uncle, Justin Leuty, to help offset funeral costs.

“On 10/02/23 our sweet little Zoey, my niece (from my sister) was brutally taken from us,” the fundraiser's description reads. “With this unexpected tragedy, we are asking for help to lay this precious 5 year old to rest."

Zoey was described on the [funding site] as a "sweet, funny and goofy little girl who had a great smile and laugh that lit up the world."
'Brutally Taken From Us': Man Swiftly Arrested Over Murder, Rape of 5-Year-Old Kan. Girl: Police

not to be that person, but I have to wonder where this fundraising uncle was when his other niece or nephew born in 2018 was being harmed by it's mother. Where was he when Zoey was living with no utilities. Where was he when his niece was living with a sex offender? Where was he when Zoey's mom threw her five year old self out into the streets like so much discarded trash? Where was he when Zoey was fending for her own little self sufficient self?

Sorry, but I am vey mistrustful of those who are so devastated after fact their first move is to begin raising money.

Neighbors told the Topeka Capital-Journal that Cherry had previously been living in the same home as Zoey, along with several other people. About two weeks ago, Zoey’s mother reportedly kicked them all out. They went to live in a campsite less than a mile away.

[snip]
According to jail records reviewed by HuffPost, Cherry is being held on $2 million bond and is scheduled to appear in court Dec. 21.
Slain 5-Year-Old Had Been Kicked Out By Mom, Made To Live At Campsite: Neighbors

A [funding site] campaign has been launched by Zoey’s uncle, Justin Leuty, to help offset funeral costs.

“On 10/02/23 our sweet little Zoey, my niece (from my sister) was brutally taken from us,” the fundraiser's description reads. “With this unexpected tragedy, we are asking for help to lay this precious 5 year old to rest."

Zoey was described on the [funding site] as a "sweet, funny and goofy little girl who had a great smile and laugh that lit up the world."
'Brutally Taken From Us': Man Swiftly Arrested Over Murder, Rape of 5-Year-Old Kan. Girl: Police

not to be that person, but I have to wonder where this fundraising uncle was when his other niece or nephew born in 2018 was being harmed by it's mother. Where was he when Zoey was living with no utilities. Where was he when his niece was living with a sex offender? Where was he when Zoey's mom threw her five year old self out into the streets like so much discarded trash? Where was he when Zoey was fending for her own little self sufficient self?

Sorry, but I am vey mistrustful of those who are so devastated after fact their first move is to begin raising money.
EXACTLY

A 25-year-old man in Kansas is facing the steepest possible legal penalties for allegedly sexually assaulting and killing a 5-year-old girl. Mickel Wayne Cherry was taken into custody on Tuesday and charged with one count of first-degree murder in the commission of a felony and one count of raping a victim under the age of 14 in the horrific slaying of Zoey Felix, jail records reviewed by Law&Crime show.

Officers with the Topeka Police Department on Monday at about 6 p.m. responded to a call about a young girl — later identified as Zoey — suffering from life-threatening injuries at a Dillons located in the 2000 block of S.E. 29th Street in Topeka, according to court documents obtained by Topeka NBC affiliate KSNT. Upon arriving at the location, emergency medical personnel with the Topeka Fire Department were already on the scene performing life-saving measures on the child before rushing her to a local hospital for treatment.

Unfortunately, she succumbed to her injuries and was pronounced dead a short time after arriving at the facility.

Zoey’s death was determined to be suspicious and authorities immediately began treating the investigation as a homicide.

Sources close to the investigation reportedly told Topeka CBS affiliate WIBW that Cherry and the victim were not related, but said that Zoey had recently been living in the same outdoor homeless camp as Cherry.

Neighbors told The Topeka Capital-Journal that Zoey had lived in a decrepit house that often had no lights or running water with her mother, a teenage sister, and an adult male who was allegedly a convicted child molester. It is not clear whether the alleged child molester previously living with Zoey and her family was Cherry or another man.

the 'mother' should also be charged - she allowed a convicted child molester to live with her daughters - whether the same person as in this case or not, and he probably molested the teen as well

Being a survivor of childhood SA, and reading about these tragedies happening to innocent children, every single day, breaks my heart. But It also makes me very angry. We must do more as a society to protect the most vulnerable among us, against these parasites.
I agree with @ticya above and also want to know where her uncle and other family members were when she desperately needed their help? Go fund me? Now? I’m disgusted and livid. That child was alone and defenseless. I can’t even allow my mind to go to those dark places. These types of offenders can never be rehabilitated, but I can think of many ways I’d like to punish them. Castration and tagging comes to mind. Sorry, jmo.

[snip]

I took it to mean the child born in 2018 with the name starting with Z is Zoey since the article says she was 5 years old
- either that or she's a twin - of course that would mean they never took her away from her mother or she was taken and then returned within 6 months
however that article has a paywall for me so it may be explained differently in the article

a funeral home has offered to pay for all funeral costs and the uncle stated he is refunding all the donations

Last edited:
Being a survivor of childhood SA, and reading about these tragedies happening to innocent children, every single day, breaks my heart. But It also makes me very angry. We must do more as a society to protect the most vulnerable among us, against these parasites.
I agree with @ticya above and also want to know where her uncle and other family members were when she desperately needed their help? Go fund me? Now? I’m disgusted and livid. That child was alone and defenseless. I can’t even allow my mind to go to those dark places. These types of offenders can never be rehabilitated, but I can think of many ways I’d like to punish them. Castration and tagging comes to mind. Sorry, jmo.

funerals usually take place within a week and as such, it would be necessary to collect donations right away
in this case however, the uncle has posted an update that a funeral home has offered to pay all the costs and that he will be issuing refunds to all the donators

is the suspect's name MIchel or Mickel? - title of thread says Michel but article states MIckel

I think it's Mickel as I have found someone on FB that I think is him but without knowing for sure, I won't post it

I have so many questions about this! Where was the mother?! Why was this CHILD kicked out of her house?

<modsnip: No link to an approved source for information stated as fact> How does this happen?! How does "the system" keep failing so horrendously? And, while I'm not laying blame, necessarily, but why didn't any of the neighborhood folks make some calls to social services if they knew she was in need of help?

The first article above says they did. It says "more than one of Zoey's neighbours reiterated to us that they had called the Kansas DCF to report that Zoey was a victim of neglect".

Please note that this thread had already started here:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aebuser
Back