KY KY - Amy Haueter, 14, Fern Creek, 14 Jan 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The first thing I thought when I saw the story was "Ann Gotlib." The area was much more "rural" (maybe not rural, but definitely less developed) back in 1983. I know that the Gene Snyder (I-265/KY-841) wasn't finished in the area then.

In Amy's case, I'm sure that the Kroger was there and I'm also pretty sure that the Walmart was there too. A 14-y/o is pretty much "adult size" (they're basically all taller than me) and I don't see how the body (smells, buzzards, etc) could have been overlooked until now.

But with either case, I wonder how it's taken so long to find these bones in such a congested area. Runaway cases are often quickly solved with the kid found soon.
But I wonder if they just expected that and didn't do $h!t...

I've only lived in Lville a few years so I don't know how much development was present in that particular area. But, I wonder if weather conditions reduce the decomposition rate/odor? The temps in January were probably mid-30s, possibly even some snow. Maybe that's another reason why no one noticed (particularly if no one was actively searching)?

I've only lived in Lville a few years so I don't know how much development was present in that particular area. But, I wonder if weather conditions reduce the decomposition rate/odor? The temps in January were probably mid-30s, possibly even some snow. Maybe that's another reason why no one noticed (particularly if no one was actively searching)?

More businesses or strip malls (whatever you want to call them) have popped up lately around the WalMart and Kroger in Fern Creek. I'm not sure about her neighborhood (behind the businesses) other than her street obviously being there when she disappeared. I never really looked to see what was behind Kroger or Walmart since I go to them via the front doors.

I think that if this is her, she was killed by someone who she knew, at least a little. She was apparently an experienced runaway. That sounds like she'd get a lot further than she did if she were trying to run away.

Fern Creek man wonders if remains found this month could be his missing sister
According to this article, when the bones were found, the brothers' father called the cops and the police told them they were animal bones. That kind of bothers me they couldn't tell the difference, especially if they saw that jaw bone. Thank goodness it didn't wash and they called in someone else to look.
If that is a jawbone found with this set of remains, even to my inexperienced eye can tell it's human. Most likely a young person because of the wisdom tooth.
And if it turns out to be Amy, foul play may not be involved. If she were on drugs, she may have od'd there and/or succumbed to the elements. We'll have to wait and see how this plays out and what they find upon examination.

Last edited:
Not sure, the bones were discovered approx. 3 weeks ago.
Even as of that article being written, the PD still weren't saying if the remains were human or not.

ETA: I'm not the best searcher, but that was the most recent article I could find on it so far

Any idea how long before any confirmation will be made?

Hopefully it won't take too long. As they apparently still aren't sure if these are definitely human bones. Or the authorities haven't said anything about it. I hope they're not jumping the gun by even suggesting that they could be Amy. If these turn out to be animal bones, or a dead male, the authorities and media would just send the family's hopes (and fears) to a frantic level just to turn and spit on those hopes.

But if these bones are from Amy, I'm still wondering how an experienced runaway wouldn't even make it a mile from home before running into trouble.
She is noted to have been a "chronic" runaway. I wonder if her home life was hectic or if she could have some kind of emotional issues. Because I would suspect suicide if she died so close to home. Is that tiny distance even far enough from home for her to have a chance to run into a ne'er-do-well?

Hopefully it won't take too long. As they apparently still aren't sure if these are definitely human bones. Or the authorities haven't said anything about it. I hope they're not jumping the gun by even suggesting that they could be Amy. If these turn out to be animal bones, or a dead male, the authorities and media would just send the family's hopes (and fears) to a frantic level just to turn and spit on those hopes.

But if these bones are from Amy, I'm still wondering how an experienced runaway wouldn't even make it a mile from home before running into trouble.
She is noted to have been a "chronic" runaway. I wonder if her home life was hectic or if she could have some kind of emotional issues. Because I would suspect suicide if she died so close to home. Is that tiny distance even far enough from home for her to have a chance to run into a ne'er-do-well?

Not sure if you've had a chance to read it, but from the article I posted up thread, it doesn't sound like anyone is jumping to conclusions. Her brother appears to be well aware of these bones existence, as he said watched online as the crime scene techs search the area they were found in. He is quoted as saying this in the article:

"It would suck if that's her," Haueter said. "But at the same time, it would be a lot easier on my family if we knew what happened and we could put the whole thing to rest."

And the police haven't said yet, one way or another, if the bones were human. They sound hesitant and proclaimed them as animal remains at first.

Also, she went missing in January, so I wouldn't rule out hypothermia.

The remains found have been ID'ed. I couldn't find a thread on the remains other than them being mentioned this one.

UPDATE: Authorities identify human remains found off Beulah Church Road
WDRB Fox-41
(Louisville, KY)
7/27/2018
Authorities have identified a man whose remains were found in a wooded area off Beulah Church Road last month.

According to a news release from the Jefferson County Coroner's Office, that man has been identified as 28-year-old Timothy J. Nickles, of Louisville.

Coroner identifies human remains found near Beulah Church Road
WLKY
(Louisville, KY)
7/27/2018
The coroner has identified human remains found near Beulah Church Road last month.

The coroner said the remains are those of Timothy Nickles, 28, of Louisville.
The cause and location of Nickles' death are still under investigation.

Remains found in Fern Creek area identified, cause of death 'pending'
WAVE-3
(Louisville, KY)
7/27/2018
The Jefferson County Coroner's Office says the remains are those of Timothy J. Nickles, 28, of Louisville.
The cause and location of Nickles death is listed as "investigation pending."

I looked to see if I could find anything about him being reported missing. I didn't, but found him on KOOL (Kentucky Online Offender Lookup) as being in trouble for "escape" and then not meeting with his parole people.

The remains found have been ID'ed. I couldn't find a thread on the remains other than them being mentioned this one.

UPDATE: Authorities identify human remains found off Beulah Church Road
WDRB Fox-41
(Louisville, KY)
7/27/2018
Authorities have identified a man whose remains were found in a wooded area off Beulah Church Road last month.

According to a news release from the Jefferson County Coroner's Office, that man has been identified as 28-year-old Timothy J. Nickles, of Louisville.

Coroner identifies human remains found near Beulah Church Road
WLKY
(Louisville, KY)
7/27/2018
The coroner has identified human remains found near Beulah Church Road last month.

The coroner said the remains are those of Timothy Nickles, 28, of Louisville.
The cause and location of Nickles' death are still under investigation.

Remains found in Fern Creek area identified, cause of death 'pending'
WAVE-3
(Louisville, KY)
7/27/2018
The Jefferson County Coroner's Office says the remains are those of Timothy J. Nickles, 28, of Louisville.
The cause and location of Nickles death is listed as "investigation pending."

I looked to see if I could find anything about him being reported missing. I didn't, but found him on KOOL (Kentucky Online Offender Lookup) as being in trouble for "escape" and then not meeting with his parole people.

Missing Person / NamUs #MP6161
Amy Lyn Haueter, Female, White / Caucasian
21CF8FF3-C920-4041-990C-5E392348782F.jpeg 7417F4D6-A592-426F-B7C2-FE0F76464A33.jpeg
Missing Since: January 15, 2005
Location Last Seen: Fern Creek, Jefferson County, Kentucky
Date of Birth: April 7, 1990
Height: 5'0”

Weight: 120 pounds
Hair Color: Brown

Eye Color: Brown

Medical Conditions: Amy has a history of drug abuse.
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Surgical scar under left arm extending to left breast, Pierced nose, right nostril, double pierced ears

Clothing & Personal Items
Clothing: Pink coat, blue jeans
Jewelry: Necklace with letter "A", Ring on left ring finger
Additional Personal Items: Black Nike tennis shoes, Contact lenses, black backpack

Circumstances of Disappearance
Amy Haueter was reported missing by family members on 01/18/05. At the time of the report, she was 14 years old. She was last seen at her residence located in the 9100 block of Pine Springs Drive on the morning of January 15, 2005. Her mother picked her up from a movie the night before and they went home. They next morning, her mother discovered her missing. Family members have not heard from her since. She was reported missing on January 18, 2005.

Authorities believe Amy left of her own accord and may still be in the local area; she was a chronic runaway in 2005. Since her disappearance there hasn't been any indication that she got a driver's license anywhere in the country. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
Louisville Metro Police Department
Detective Anne Hogan: (502) 584-2111
Agency Case Number: 0501001813

Identifiers
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

Source Information
NCMEC
NamUs
The Doe Network
Louisville Metro Police Department
Facebook Page for Amy Haueter
National Missing Person Directory
WDRB
WAVE3 News

Authorities believe Amy left of her own accord and may still be in the local area; she was a chronic runaway in 2005.

Missing persons profiles often say something like this for runaways. When should it be updated, if that’s what you’d call what I’m talking about...

A girl that would have been in 8th-grade or maybe a freshman in HS runs away - 15 years ago - and she might still be somewhere local?

If she is miraculously somehow still with us, she’d have to have gotten a pretty good distance from Louisville. Nobody could hide that well for that long.

Louisville isn’t a tiny town like where I live, but no girl her age could pull that off for over a decade without someone noticing her (short of perhaps plastic surgery or legal name-changing or something else that she wouldn’t have had the resources to even consider).

Missing persons profiles often say something like this for runaways. When should it be updated, if that’s what you’d call what I’m talking about...

If you look through NamUs.gov you will find a lot of these and I have often wondered the same thing. A teenager missing for that long is not in the same area and more than likely is not a runaway. In my own opinion.

The one thing which is clear is that in such cases, unless they do prove to be runaways (and sometimes when that is the case), the first place to look is with family and close friends. So I come back to the question I posed earlier; regardless of the fact that he has turned round his life have LE questioned her brother closely about the people he was involved with which led to his convictions for drugs and burglary? If not, why not? This in no way points the finger at him, but simply recognises that he is likely to have been part of an environment with some very unpleasant people. If something has happened to her (and I hope that is not the case) all of the statistics indicate that harm from a stranger is the least likely explanation.

June 7, 2023 (updated) article

[…]

"At this time with her being an adult we would hope that her name would pop up in the driver's license database or change of address and so far we've met with negative results," said Perry.

[…]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heypig06
Back