KY - Breonna Taylor, 26, unarmed, fatally shot multiple times by police, Louisville, 13 Mar 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@ShayMcAlisterTV

According to this termination letter provided by LMPD- Officer Brett Hankison violated departments use of force policy when he “blindly fired 10 rounds into Breonna Taylor’s apartment with supporting...
Ea4u5uvXkAAOHVA

Thread title says in bed. She was in bed when she was shot 8 times?
Yes. No-knock warrant, and her boyfriend reacted to defend his home with a legal firearm. Police claim they knocked anyway and identified themselves. 10 rounds fired blindly into the house, and she was killed in bed.

To answer my own question - the judge who signed the warrant did so because they thought her house was used by a drug seller. Not sure why a no-knock warrant is worth the risk when it comes to narcotics, especially in a country where so many citizens are armed. But JMO. NYT - Here’s What You Need to Know About Breonna Taylor’s Death

Yes. No-knock warrant, and her boyfriend reacted to defend his home with a legal firearm. Police claim they knocked anyway and identified themselves. 10 rounds fired blindly into the house, and she was killed in bed.

To answer my own question - the judge who signed the warrant did so because they thought her house was used by a drug seller. Not sure why a no-knock warrant is worth the risk when it comes to narcotics, especially in a country where so many citizens are armed. But JMO. NYT - Here’s What You Need to Know About Breonna Taylor’s Death
All the articles I've seen say she was in the hallway? Not really important. Just that when I read the title, it makes me picture someone in her bedroom shooting her while she slept.

All the articles I've seen say she was in the hallway? Not really important. Just that when I read the title, it makes me picture someone in her bedroom shooting her while she slept.

You are probably right, and I misinterpreted what I read. Looking back, it sounds as though they were in bed immediately prior to the raid. It makes sense that she was in the hallway if he got up and shot what he says he thought were intruders. It would be helpful if there had been bodycam footage and a comprehensive report to draw from. Article (CBS) includes mayor's tweet about inadequacy of the report and local newspaper article about the report (I can't access that article). Hopefully more details are forthcoming.

Louisville police release Breonna Taylor incident report – it lists her injuries as "none" - CBS News

Breonna Taylor shooting: Louisville police release incident report

"The four-page report lists the time, date, case number, incident location and the victim's name — Breonna Shaquelle Taylor — as well as the fact that she is a 26-year-old black female.

But it redacts Taylor's street number, apartment number and date of birth — all of which have been widely reported.

And it lists her injuries as "none," even though she was shot at least eight times and died on her hallway floor in a pool of blood, according to attorneys for her family.

It lists the charges as "death investigation — LMPD involved" but checks the "no" box under "forced entry," even though officers used a battering ram to knock in Taylor's apartment door...."

"....But the most important portion of the report — the "narrative" of events that spells out what happened March 13 — has only two words: "PIU investigation."

Louisville police release Breonna Taylor incident report – it lists her injuries as "none" - CBS News

"Police have said the officers did not have body cameras on at the time of the shooting, but an attorney for Taylor's family claimed in a new filing Wednesday that those same officers were previously assigned cameras, according to WLKY.

"We've got body camera footage from Brett Hankison in other situations and then we got a citation that shows that Myles Cosgrove just two months before this while serving a search warrant for the Criminal Interdiction Unit was wearing a body camera," attorney Sam Aguiar said...."

I'd completely forgotten about this. What do you do when the perp is a cop?

Insist on justice at City Hall...and the ballot box...and the courts. We have to, for all our sakes, including for the sake of the fine officers who do protect and serve and who put their lives on the line daily. JMO.

@ShayMcAlisterTV
According to this termination letter provided by LMPD- Officer Brett Hankison violated departments use of force policy when he “blindly fired 10 rounds into Breonna Taylor’s apartment with supporting...
Ea4u5uvXkAAOHVA

A termination letter sent to Officer Brett Hankison released by the city’s police department said Hankinson violated procedures by showing “extreme indifference to the value of human life” when he “wantonly and blindly” shot 10 rounds of gunfire into Taylor’s apartment in March. The letter also said Hankison, who is white, violated the rule against using deadly force.

The letter said Hankison fired the rounds “without supporting facts” that the deadly force was directed at a person posing an immediate threat.

“I find your conduct a shock to the conscience,” interim Louisville Police Chief Robert Schroeder said in the letter. “Your actions have brought discredit upon yourself and the Department.”

Police officer involved in Breonna Taylor shooting fired

Sam Aguiar, an attorney for Taylor’s family, previously said the move to fire Hankison was long overdue. “It’s about damn time,” he said, adding Hankison was an officer who “plagued our streets and made this city worse for over a dozen years.”

“Let’s hope that this is a start to some good, strong criminal proceedings against Officer Hankison, because he definitely deserves to at least be charged,” Aguiar added.

I just saw this case on The View and am surprised this is the first time I have heard of her case! I'd think 'no knock raids' would be in cases of serial killers or mass murderers, but a drug raid looking for someone that wasn't even there??!!...AND IN POLICE CUSTODY EVEN!?! The boyfriend called 911 even to report a possible home invasion...

This is great. Now if only the police had enough respect and integrity to release a real report from the get-go. And it should not be "inconclusive" whether there is body cam footage or not, though that article is from June 16, so hopefully there are answers now. The police have a responsibility to get the facts out immediately, rather than look like they are covering something up. That is the 2-way street of having power and near-immunity.

The institution is to blame for its own lack of transparency, which naturally leads to rumors and paranoia in the community when a civilian is killed JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
everyoneblooms