KY KY - Brookelyn Farthing, 18, Berea, 22 Jun 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DEC 5, 2022

Brookelyn Farthing

brookelyn_farthing.jpg

Brookelyn Farthing was only 18 years old when she went missing in the early hours of June 22, 2013. The night she was last seen, Brookelyn went with her younger sister, a cousin and some friends to a party outside Berea, Kentucky. Although her family members decided to leave, Brookelyn chose to stay behind. The details surrounding the rest of the night remain a mystery, but it was around 4:00 a.m. the next day when Brookelyn sent text messages to friends saying she needed a ride home because she was “scared.” Police arrived at the party house several hours later. The host told police he had left the house in the morning to let some horses out. He said when he returned home he saw burn damage from a small fire but no sign of Brookelyn. A massive search was launched, but turned up little evidence. Police have not named any persons of interest or suspects in the case. Brookelyn’s family has a website, findbrookefarthing.com, and has offered a $14,000 reward "for information leading to the return of Brookelyn Farthing or capture and conviction of those responsible for her disappearance." At the time of her disappearance, Brookelyn was 5’1”, and weighed 110 lbs. In November 2022, an officer with the Kentucky State Police Department told Dateline Brookelyn’s case remains open. If you have any information regarding Brookelyn's disappearance, please call the Kentucky State Police at (859) 623-2404.

Some more details / summary just as a reminder of this case, from Brooke's Story - Find Brooke Farthing

“After attending Papaw’s birthday celebration Brooke, Paige and our cousin went to a birthday party off Red Lick Road. Paige and our cousin decided to leave shortly after dropping Brooke off. Brooke had taken her belongings with her to spend the evening with a close friend; however those plans fell through after arriving at the party. Once the party ended Brooke caught a ride with a guy she knew. In the early morning hours Brooke spoke with Paige by phone and told her she would be home once a friend got off work and could give her a ride. Brooke sent several text messages making plans for the next day. She also sent messages about feeling unsafe where she was at.

Brooke never came home that morning and has not been heard from since. The guy she caught a ride when leaving the party reported a house fire at his residence early Saturday morning. Brooke’s personal belongings were later located at the residence however she was no where to be found. My sister had no reason to runaway. She made arrangements to get a ride home and had plans to spend the day on Saturday with a friend.”

And from Missing: Brookelyn Farthing | Berea, KY | Uncovered

In the early hours of June 22nd, 2013, Brookelyn, Josh Hensley, and an unidentified male stop to look at horses before dropping the unidentified male off at his house. Brookelyn and Hensley return to Hensley’s home. At this time, Hensley’s home was in foreclosure and had no running water or electricity. At approximately 4 am, Brookelyn calls Paige to ask if their cousin could pick her up. Unfortunately, their cousin had been drinking and was unable to pick her up. At this point, Brookelyn was ready to go home, she called her ex-boyfriend and made plans for him to pick her up on his way home from work around 7 am. A short time later, Brookelyn texts her ex-boyfriend again: “can you hurry”, “Please hurry” and “I’m scared”. Approximately an hour later, Brookelyn’s ex-boyfriend gets another text from her that says “never mind. I’m okay. I’m going to a party in Rockcastle county.” This text would become Brookelyn’s last communication with her loved ones. At 7 am that same morning, Josh Hensley arrives back home after checking on some horses. Upon his arrival, Josh calls the fire department to report a fire inside his home. Hensley claims that Brookelyn was still inside the home when the fire started.

Later that same day, Brookelyn made plans with friends to attend a car show in Somerset, KY at 2 pm, however, she never showed up. Brookelyn’s oldest sister, Tasha Thomas calls Hensley who tells her that Brookelyn got a ride home after the party and felt uncomfortable with her there but had to leave to put the horses away. Hensley also told Tasha Thomas that no one picked her up, but heard her mention a party in Rockcastle County. Josh calls Tasha Thomas again and tells her he is scared and that when he returned home his house was on fire and believed it was because of the cigarette that Brookelyn was smoking on his couch.

The next day, on June 23rd, 2013, Brookelyn’s mother filed a missing persons report. Brookelyn’s family went to Hensley’s home to search for her and found personal items on his front porch including her shoes. Brookelyn’s clothing and cell phone were not accounted for. Two days later on June 25th, 2013, Brookelyn’s phone pings off a tower in Blue Lick for the last time ever. Josh Hensley would later be arrested on possession of child sexual abuse material on August 5th, 2020.”

“Brookelyn Farthing was 18 years old when she vanished June 22, 2013, after leaving a party with two guys she knew.
One is now in jail on unrelated charges. He's 30-year-old Joshua Hensley, the last person Tillery says saw her daughter alive. Hensley has never been charged in Brookelyn Farthing's disappearance or named as a suspect.”

Farthing has never been heard from again and an extensive search of the area turned up no sign of her. Cadaver dogs were brought in, and divers combed the nearby bodies of water. Hundreds of people navigated 16,000 acres in three counties surrounding the home, but there was no sign of Farthing. Authorities contacted Farthing’s cell phone carrier and determined it last pinged on a tower in nearby Blue Lick, about 30 miles from where Farthing was last seen. The phone has not been turned on since.

Investigators believe Farthing may have been taken against her will, and they think the last text message sent from her phone was sent by someone else. To date, police have not named any persons of interest or suspects in the case, saying it remains an “open and active investigation.”

Last edited:
I've lived in Madison County for 23 years now and this case never sat right with me. I always assumed it was Josh this whole time and still think that way, but the lack of evidence says otherwise. I always wanted to look into and solve this case for the family to get some closure. I was wanting to get his current address and do some detective work. I know he got arrested for child *advertiser censored* a couple years ago. I know that doesn't make you a killer but it's still very amoral.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ncorliss52
Back