KY KY - Crystal Rogers, 35, Bluegrass Parkway, 3 July 2015 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad LE is still searching for answers. I wonder if this search relates to Crystal's fathers death?

A Louisville, KY television station, WAVE3 reported today at noon that the search related to Crystal's father, Tommy Ballard. I don't know if the reporter was told this or if the reporter assumed this because it was the State Police serving the warrant.

http://www.kystandard.com/content/ksp-apparently-searching-whitesides%E2%80%99-house-again

"While the Nelson County Sheriff's Office is leading the investigation into Rogers' disappearance, the State Police are investigating Ballard's death."

"Trooper Jeff Gregory, a spokesman for KSP Post 4 in Elizabethtown confirmed that there were three State Police Detectives on the scene executing a search warrant."

A WAVE 3 News crew at the scene confirmed the search was taking place at the home of Brooks Houck's grandmother.

http://m.wave3.com/wave/db_336805/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=9B1UPMBh#.WXd1gSU6sJE.facebook

This article annoyed me as it stated Crystal's father died while hunting. Actually he was murdered while hunting.

I remember reading that Tommy Ballard was still out searching for Crystal until the day he died. Where had he been most recently searching, because he obviously made someone nervous enough that they felt the need to kill him?

I hope this poor family gets some resolution soon. They more than deserve it.

This article annoyed me as it stated Crystal's father died while hunting. Actually he was murdered while hunting.

I remember reading that Tommy Ballard was still out searching for Crystal until the day he died. Where had he been most recently searching, because he obviously made someone nervous enough that they felt the need to kill him?

I hope this poor family gets some resolution soon. They more than deserve it.
You said exactly what I have thought since Tommy was killed. He was getting too close.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

At one point, were they searching in a burn pile? I recall something about a fire on the farm and a search for bones. Did that produce any known evidence?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was home last weekend (Elizabethtown) and these murders/missing topic came up. Most people agree that all the cases are linked. They feel that there is someone connected to LE that is main POI. And someone is still taking Crystals signs down. Ripping them in half. Last night the mayor came to the group that is making the signs and asked that they move them back from the right of way. The mayor is a nice guy and is trying to keep peace there.

[h=3]Woman arrested for stealing signs about missing Nelson Co. woman[/h]
14512743_G.jpg

BARDSTOWN, KY (WAVE) - A Nelson County woman has been arrested for stealing signs about the disappearance of Crystal Rogers.
Crystal Dawn Maupin was arrested July 28 by the Nelson County Sheriff's Office. She is charged with theft by unlawful taking.

Maupin is the girlfriend of Brooks Houck, the former boyfriend of Rogers and father of her youngest child. rogers was last seen on July 3, 2015 and Houck is believed to be the last person who saw her.
http://www.wave3.com/story/36002048/woman-arrested-for-stealing-signs-about-missing-nelson-co-woman

All apologies, but these people are reinforcing a stereotype that some people may have about small Midwestern towns.

Several reasons may account for reloading fired cases. For amateur, casual or weekend shooters, reloading may not be an economic factor but rather a personal hobby because it takes longer time and more labor to reload. On the other hand, professional shooters choose to reload for a modified performance, such as increasing the velocity by adding more powder for a deeper penetration. Some target shooters might want to increase accuracy by using a special type of gunpowder for best “shot-to-shot consistency.” Of course, the last category of reloaders or users is those who want to reload so that original extractor and ejector marks become more difficult to trace and compare. In reality, several real cases have indicated that criminals today have already begun such attempts in using reloaded pistol cartridge cases to divert police in their criminal investigation.

https://www.omicsonline.org/open-ac...n-2157-7145-1000344.php?aid=81418&view=mobile

For me, the above is an indication that they have shell casings from a crime scene and hope to match them to markings made by the reloader.

As I was reading the article, I became very excited about a few things. One thing that really got me excited was learning that a shell casing that has been reloaded could have markings caused by more than one weapon. So, for example, if someone used an unregistered weapon to shoot someone by used a reloaded bullet that had been previously fired from a known registered gun, that could link the person who owned the registered gun to the unregistered gun.

Also, I am surprised to learn just how much work goes into reloading a bullet. It's a process that requires a lot of tooling, and that tooling may produce some evidence that could link the bullet casing to the reloading apparatus.

Usually, bullets that are reloaded are limited to 40, 44 and 9 mm. Does anyone know if any of those weapons were used in any of the unsolved murders?

I believe if I was going to do that I would pick up a few empty brass at the gun range that someone else fired, reload those and use them in an unregistered firearm. Usually you are supposed to 'police your brass' at the range and put it in a bucket provided. For .40, .45 and 9mm it wouldn't be difficult to find those in the bucket on the range. The range isn't likely to care if you pick up about 6 or 7 brass from the bucket. Of course, there are still the marks left by the reloader but I wonder how much of that can be changed by using new dies and other replaceable parts. All of this is a lot of work, though. A pro simply wouldn't leave his empty case(s) at the scene and possibly change out the barrel afterwards.

How eerie is it for Brooks to be dating another blonde Crystal? She better watch her back around him. Although with this arrest, they may be two peas in a pod. Ugh.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I hope that never gets a good nights sleep because he's haunted by CR face! And he constantly looks over his shoulder for the judgement that is on his heels...

I was wondering about Crystal today and thought I'd bump up her page to see if there has been any breaking news. :(

I was wondering about Crystal today and thought I'd bump up her page to see if there has been any breaking news. :(

There hasn't been any real news about Crystal (or the other area murders) since the Houck guy's grandmother's house was searched.

But I found something incidentally that I thought was "good" (for lack of a better term) regarding her case. I was reading an unrelated story on Huffington Post and there was a slideshow at the end of the story listing various missing people. Crystal happened to be the first slide.

Missing Persons photo gallery (crystal).JPG

Missing People
Huffington Post

As (or if) they add any new MP's, Crystal might not keep being the first slide. But at least she's in there and can be seen by a wider audience, though this can't be anything but a local crime.

ARGHH I want to know WHY she would do this.

I would give you an answer, but it would all be bleeped out. I wouldn't normally give credence to local rumors, but many of them can be verified in one way, shape or form. For the longest time, I figured that the murder or of Ofc Jason Ellis and Crystal's disappearance (along with her father's "accident") were related. I didn't understand how the Netherland murders were tied into this mess, at least until relatively recently. Nelson County is involved in one big ole mess.

I'm thankful that I can't prove anything in one way or the other. Then I'd likely be in danger. I've just heard about it, like just about everyone else around here has. Hell, I know of at least four or five places "where Crystal is at."

I just hope everything turns out OK for her family, if you could ever call this "OK." I know I've said this before, but I "knew of" Crystal back in high-school but didn't really "know" her. But I do know that she has family and kids that don't have her with them. They've been through Hell and back, then got the same once again. When I was a baby (if I'd even been born yet, but it was close... some part of 1979) her aunt was murdered, chopped up and put in different groundhog holes just outside Bardstown.
Roby said after the press conference this is the second time the family has been involved in a missing person case, and the memory of the first one is making this one harder.

In 1979, Tommy Ballard’s sister, Sherry Ballard Barnes, went missing and was later found murdered.

This is no longer the small, rural and safe county I thought I lived in.

Crystal needs to be found, for better or worse.

This is so weird that I just now saw this and since I'd just posted and what I'd posted about...

New police chief vows to rebuild community trust in its police department
“I’m going to work on building that trust that’s been lost by some of our community members.”

Kraeszig said her desire was to have the safest community and the finest police department in the state.

We can only wait and see if she's cut out for that task. At least she's from "far off" Louisville and isn't already involved in the drama going on.

I would give you an answer, but it would all be bleeped out. I wouldn't normally give credence to local rumors, but many of them can be verified in one way, shape or form. For the longest time, I figured that the murder or of Ofc Jason Ellis and Crystal's disappearance (along with her father's "accident") were related. I didn't understand how the Netherland murders were tied into this mess, at least until relatively recently. Nelson County is involved in one big ole mess.

I'm thankful that I can't prove anything in one way or the other. Then I'd likely be in danger. I've just heard about it, like just about everyone else around here has. Hell, I know of at least four or five places "where Crystal is at."

I just hope everything turns out OK for her family, if you could ever call this "OK." I know I've said this before, but I "knew of" Crystal back in high-school but didn't really "know" her. But I do know that she has family and kids that don't have her with them. They've been through Hell and back, then got the same once again. When I was a baby (if I'd even been born yet, but it was close... some part of 1979) her aunt was murdered, chopped up and put in different groundhog holes just outside Bardstown.

This is no longer the small, rural and safe county I thought I lived in.

Crystal needs to be found, for better or worse.

Great post! Completely agree with you about the rumors.

I had completely forgotten about her aunt's murder. How insane is it that so many members of her family have perished/gone missing. Not to mention the other unsolved cases there.
All of this is just baffling and I wish we knew more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot