KY KY - Crystal Rogers, 35, Bluegrass Parkway, 3 July 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The state lab will accept more than 10 here (in Kentucky), but they ask that only 10 be sent initially. They'll help the crime scene tech decide which 10 are the most "valuable" if they aren't sure. They do it for efficiency and to try and rule out or not rule out possible suspects quickly. If those 10 don't yield what they're looking for, they'll accept and process more. Essentially, what they don't want, is for a bunch of evidence that has no value to be thrown in bags and dumped off at the lab. Someone who works in KSP's lab actually posted a reply about what was said in the show because it wasn't as black and white as the show portrayed.
You have been such a valuable contributor to WS discussion on this case from the start. Just wanted to let you know that you're appreciated.

The state lab will accept more than 10 here (in Kentucky), but they ask that only 10 be sent initially. They'll help the crime scene tech decide which 10 are the most "valuable" if they aren't sure. They do it for efficiency and to try and rule out or not rule out possible suspects quickly. If those 10 don't yield what they're looking for, they'll accept and process more. Essentially, what they don't want, is for a bunch of evidence that has no value to be thrown in bags and dumped off at the lab. Someone who works in KSP's lab actually posted a reply about what was said in the show because it wasn't as black and white as the show portrayed.

Does Kentucky have the death penalty? In any case, but especially in death row cases, I'd want to be certain that there was no evidence that exonerated the defendant via DNA. The only way to do that is to test everything.

I was shocked when I saw the docuseries and then checked online how little attention this case has received!

From what I remember, her keys, purse, phone and the diaper bag was still in the car when it was found. I'll have to look around for an article but she didn't buy anything remarkable during her trip to walmart. I know she bought either a tee ball plate or stand, a boys tshirt and a couple other things I can't think of. The Impala was her car and I'm pretty sure she drove it to Wal Mart that day.

Just making sure I've got the facts straight... the were 2 Impalas in this story, correct? (1 was Crystal's black Impala and 1 white Impala that belonged to the suspect's grandmother??) TIA

First time poster to this thread. I live in Southern Indiana, right across from Louisville KY. and have followed this case closely and caught up on the threads.
I have watched the Oxygen channels series about Crystal as well. I must say it's so unreal that this has not been solved. But after seeing how le has handled this case, I'm not surprised.
1. They gave Crystal 's car back to her parents without even doing the slightest forensic basics to collect evidence.
2. Only 10 bags of evidence can be submitted to the crime lab without a judge giving the ok to submit more? Is this real? No wonder so many cases are unsolved.
3. BH interview with le: this guy should have been under 24/7 surveillance the moment he walked out that door. NH calling BH during that interview made me laugh: they had that planned before he walked into that interview. Fake.
4. Tommy getting gunned down on the opening day of gun season? So tragic. I tear up seeing footage of him looking for his daughter not knowing the fate that awaited him.

Why has it taken so long to lock these evil people up? I just don't understand what's going on in Bardstown....

Mrs. Dalloway, from your description, you must be close to Jeffersonville. I have friends there. A hearty hello from the Buckeye State!

Someone earlier in the thread indicated that their friend in LE clarified for him or her that the KBCI will accept more than 10 pcs. of evidence. He or she alleged that KCBI wants to help "direct" what pcs. are submitted initially and subsequent to the 10 pcs. This seems implausible as far as it being an effective strategy. In the docuseries, it was alarming to see what all was gathered from the car to be forensically tested, after it had already been returned to the family.

I'm sure it's devastating but they've still managed to find happiness. Her sister ended up getting married a couple years later and having a baby. Her brother has kind of taken over and filled in that spot that Tommy left behind.

I agree. They've made the best out of a circumstance no one should have to go through at all. Her brother has children. Crystal's sister & brother both have children, and I'm sure they play a significant role in the lives of Crystal's kids, too.

Is anyone on this thread following the Rhoden case, too? Any thoughts on whether there could be a connection?

Does Kentucky have the death penalty? In any case, but especially in death row cases, I'd want to be certain that there was no evidence that exonerated the defendant via DNA. The only way to do that is to test everything.
Yep it's a death penalty state. I think I can only remember 2 people being executed in the 30ish years I've been alive.
The show insinuated that the lab wouldn't test every thing. A lab tech responded to clear up some of the rumors. There's a whole process that crime scene techs have, they don't send every thing in to be tested in any case. They separate pieces of evidence by importance. The most important get tested first because it's quicker and more efficient. Additional items are tested subsequently based on importance.
According the actual crime scene tech that was there that evening, she claims that she was instructed to collect certain things and she did what she was told. She's another one who has put out statements about what she did or didn't do that day while processing the scene.

Is anyone on this thread following the Rhoden case, too? Any thoughts on whether there could be a connection?

What are your thoughts on why there would be a connection? What has led you to ask that? Commonalities in these cases? Relationships or friendships between the two families?

Sherry Ballard Gives Warning About Fake Fundraising Page

“They were asking for money. We’ve never asked for money. Ever. The whole time we’ve ever did this, we’ve never asked people for money,” said Ballard.

She said there are ways to tell that the page is a fake.

“Number one, I would’ve never posted a picture of my daughter with Brooks Houck,” she said.

Just making sure I've got the facts straight... the were 2 Impalas in this story, correct? (1 was Crystal's black Impala and 1 white Impala that belonged to the suspect's grandmother??) TIA

Hey, GoBuckeyes, thanks for your diligence in this case in keeping facts straight. I had to look it up, but according to this article, Investigators Revisit The Site Where Missing Crystal Rogers’ Car Was Found, Crystal's Impala was red. According to this article, Search warrants served in missing woman case gives family hope the Grandma's vehicle was a white Buick, but the model name is not specified in the article. (I see now that Hraefn had already clarified info on Grandma's vehicle.)

Last edited:
It is far from a cold case,” said Capt. Jon Snow, the deputy sheriff who has worked as the lead detective since Rogers disappeared in July 2015. “We work on it — if not every week — then at least several times a month. We conducted an interview regarding it yesterday, so it is definitely not classified as a cold case.”

Snow provided some numbers to illustrate those efforts. Included in those were:

• From July 2015 to December 2016, Snow worked only the Rogers case. He amassed over 400 hours of overtime and approximately 3,100 regular hours.

• Snow has written 72 search warrants in the case. Not all of those were on property, some involved seeking information from companies and other entities.

• Approximately 13 agencies have contributed to the case. Some of those agencies did not want to be listed because doing so could harm the investigation, but those who agreed to be listed included: the Nelson County Sheriff’s Office, Bardstown Police for evidence collection, Kentucky State Police, Louisville Metro’s dive team and investigators, Louisville Metro fire, Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office, Marion County Sheriff’s Office, Hardin County Sheriff’s Office, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, and the FBI has lent investigators, polygraph experts, forensics and evidence collection and testing.

• Investigators have collected 172 pieces of evidence.

• Snow has traveled to three states following up on leads.

Thursday’s press conference with local media was a reaction to recent national television coverage including a segment on Investigation Discovery and a six-part series on Oxygen. The Oxygen series in particular implied that investigators had not done a thorough job in investigating some aspects of the case. The premise of the show was that a retired homicide detective from Washington, D.C., and an “investigative journalist” were conducting their own inquiry and enlisting their own experts to try to solve the case of what happened to the missing mother of five whose car was discovered abandoned on the side of the Bluegrass Parkway during the July 4 weekend of 2015.
More @link:
Sheriff’s Office updates public on Rogers investigation | KYStandard.com

I know I have said in the past to watch out for complicating any crime because most times they are pretty straight forward. But with this cluster of murders, I think you're going to have to open up your minds to a whole host of possibilities. Yes, I feel all the the murders were connected. Not so much by legal/illegal actions, but what each victim knew or thought they knew about a bigger crime/operation and paid for that knowledge with their life in order that the real criminals could continue their operations. This is not unusual for the state of Kentucky or Ohio for that fact because of all the unsuspecting small towns, yet metropolitan areas and how the expressways run north to south, east to west. Theses states have known cartel operations, with a large amount of known unsolved serious and violent murders by people with no conscious. Throw into the mix of the Bardstown murders, the murders of the Brown County, Ohio R family murders and yea, I think at some time we will find them connected as well. And remember, it's not because any one of these victims were drug users that they were murdered. It was because of what they KNEW, no matter how small it seemed in the grand picture. As for the H brothers, I'm not saying they were involved in the (covered up) operation, but they perhaps knew the pipeline and as a result, CR did too just by relationship osmosis with BH. And his brother NH was just a plain ole cocky crooked cop. I feel that one or both are up to their eyeballs in distribution and got way too deep before even realizing it and CR just got in their way. I think Officer JE tripped on something which caused his demise, and the mother/daughter had knowledge of the gang which could have been cartel based.
jULIA_bEE, your knowledge of evidence is quite accurate but protocols were not only created for efficiency but also to keep the (literally) tons of stuff out of evidence lockers in the labs and the PDs where space is at a premium. A good example is a rape case. As long as you have a completed hospital rape kit you have everything you need to do a complete analysis. Therefore, you don't necessarily need sheets, blankets, comforters, pillows unless the analysis has to go further. See the bulk that can come in? And if that's for one rape, imagine 10. A big investigation like this can yield tons!
Hopefully, I am all wrong here. But my biggest fear is that I could be right and a whole heap of people are down for something as stupid as drugs.

Edited for TOS

Last edited:
I do not believe that Sherry Ballard would ever say a bad word about Brooks Houck in front of his son. My guess he knows he is facing time in January and is doing whatever it takes so the Ballards won't get the child while his is gone. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
relaxininaz