KY KY - Crystal Rogers, 35, Bluegrass Parkway, 3 July 2015 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely think it’s his way of retaliating because of the publicity she’s been getting

I do not believe that Sherry Ballard would ever say a bad word about Brooks Houck in front of his son. My guess he knows he is facing time in January and is doing whatever it takes so the Ballards won't get the child while his is gone. MOO.

The KYStandard makes more sense as to why she lost her rights. The other article makes it seem like she was at fault for losing them.

It had a little more information than some of the other articles. Honestly, I don’t know know whether or not Sherry would’ve say anything to the little boy. I know when all of this started, she made a statement about how she wouldn’t and she seemed sincere. He’s school aged now and the docu series brought a LOT of attention to the case and area. People have driven past Brooks’ house in the past and yelled things at him. People have approached them out in public and said things in regards to his involvement
In Crystal’s disappearance. He also has older siblings who could’ve said something to him while he was visiting. He may be asking Brooks questions but there’s no telling where he’s actually hearing anything from. This whole thing seems retaliatory. I read on one of the articles that the appeals court sent it back down to the original judge after their decision so it sounds like it may not be final.

It's sad that the child has to know anything but I guess it's inevitable that he is going to hear things. I assume that the 6 year old is going to school but don't know for certain that he is not being homeschooled.

I still believe that BH is preparing for the real possibility that he will be serving time for his theft charge and is preparing to make sure the Ballard family does not get custody of the child while he is away. Visitation has been ongoing for quite some time now and we have heard nothing. The trial is now looming and suddenly there are problems.

It's sad that the child has to know anything but I guess it's inevitable that he is going to hear things. I assume that the 6 year old is going to school but don't know for certain that he is not being homeschooled.

I still believe that BH is preparing for the real possibility that he will be serving time for his theft charge and is preparing to make sure the Ballard family does not get custody of the child while he is away. Visitation has been ongoing for quite some time now and we have heard nothing. The trial is now looming and suddenly there are problems.

I definitely expect him to get married before any kind of sentencing takes place, if any does. I agree, I think he's setting things up to make sure the Ballards don't get him. If I understand the appeals process correctly, it should be going back to the county judge and from there, he can either uphold their decision at the state level or he can keep the initial visitation that he ordered. If he keeps the original visitation, then I think Brooks can petition the state court of appeals again but this time it would be heard by the full panel of judges instead of just the three.

The real problem here is that the state really doesn't support grandparents rights. Unfortunately, it's usually only granted in the event of severe abuse/neglect. The scope is so limited and the appeals court can only make a determination as to whether the original judge ruled within that scope. It's sad all around.

This judge/lawyer fought to have Crystal's kid kept away from his grandmother because of complaints from his (not so trustworthy) father. One big thing I found out about Dixon is a case that is kind of the polar opposite of denying Sherry visitation.

Dixon decided that a convicted sex offender (who offended a relative both when they were 12 and 15) and is on the sex offender registry has the right to live in the same house as his children (and his girlfriend's kids) without any interference. He can't keep his hands off little boys, but it would be cruel and unusual to safeguard the children that will be living with him?
And that was barely a month before she fought to keep Sherry Ballard from having visitation with her grandchild. At one time, she was on the boards of Childwatch (a charity that helps abused children) and the Paducah Rape Crisis Center. But now supports pedo parenting?

Should a sex offender have the right to be alone with his children?
The Courier Journal
(9/19/2018)
Louisville, KY 40201
For the first time, the Kentucky Supreme Court is being asked to decide whether a registered sex offender has the right to be with his own children without supervision.
The vexing legal dispute was set into motion in 2003, when Stone, 18, performed and received oral sex from a 12-year-old relative. Three years later, he did the same with the same child, when he was 21 and the boy was 15.

Stone pleaded guilty to third-degree sodomy in Montgomery Circuit Court in 2007 and was required to register as a sex offender for life. His one-year sentence was suspended and he was placed on probation on the condition that he have no contact with minors unless supervised by an adult.
The Family Court, finding that Stone had violated his probation and failed to follow the requirements of the sex offender law, ordered him to be with his children only when their mother was present.

But the Court of Appeals unanimously ruled in an opinion written by Judge Christopher Shea Nikell and joined by Donna Dixon and Joy Kramer that the state had failed to show that harm or risk of harm to the children was “more likely to occur than not.”

Kentucky Supreme Court to decide whether a 33-year-old registered sex offender and father of two can be alone with his young children, ages three and six
The Daily Mail (9/20/2018)
London W8 5TT
But Clark County prosecutor Brian Thomas, who is representing the cabinet in its appeal, feels the answer is definitive.
'It appears that the Court of Appeals would rather this pedophile be restricted from coming into contact with other children … but finds it entirely appropriate to allow [Stone to be in] a position to enact criminal sexual behavior on his own children, in the quiet and privacy of their own home.'

He pointed out that Stone pleaded guilty 'not once, but twice for crimes against a minor child,' adding that, 'His behavior is such that for as long as there is breath in his body, he will be required to register his address so he can be monitored.'
Despite those fact, in an opinion written by Judge Christopher Shea Nikell and joined by Donna Dixon and Joy Kramer, Kentucky's Court of Appeals unanimously ruled that the state had failed to show that harm or risk of harm to the children was 'more likely to occur than not.'

This judge/lawyer fought to have Crystal's kid kept away from his grandmother because of complaints from his (not so trustworthy) father. One big thing I found out about Dixon is a case that is kind of the polar opposite of denying Sherry visitation.

Dixon decided that a convicted sex offender (who offended a relative both when they were 12 and 15) and is on the sex offender registry has the right to live in the same house as his children (and his girlfriend's kids) without any interference. He can't keep his hands off little boys, but it would be cruel and unusual to safeguard the children that will be living with him?
And that was barely a month before she fought to keep Sherry Ballard from having visitation with her grandchild. At one time, she was on the boards of Childwatch (a charity that helps abused children) and the Paducah Rape Crisis Center. But now supports pedo parenting?

The Courier Journal
(9/19/2018)
Louisville, KY 40201

Kentucky Supreme Court to decide whether a 33-year-old registered sex offender and father of two can be alone with his young children, ages three and six
London W8 5TT
This is maddening!

The Courier Journal
(9/19/2018)
Louisville, KY 40201

London W8 5TT

Crystal Rogers, a mother of five, was last seen on July 3, 2015, at the home the 35-year-old shared with her boyfriend Brooks Houck and the couple's young son. Two days later, her unlocked Chevy Impala was found along Kentucky's Bluegrass Parkway with a flat tire and her belongings still inside. The Nelson County Sheriff officially named Crystal’s boyfriend a suspect in her disappearance in October of 2015. Houck's brother, who worked as a Bardstown police officer, was terminated from the department after officials say he interfered with the investigation into Crystal's disappearance. Danny L. Singleton, a longtime employee of Houck, was charged with 38 counts of perjury for lying to investigators under oath in December of 2015. Houck was arrested in July of 2018 on four felony theft counts and four misdemeanor theft counts, unrelated to Crystal’s disappearance. He pleaded not guilty to all charges. His trial is set for Jan. 28, 2019. No charges have been filed in connection with the disappearance, but officials have said they believe Crystal is dead.

Five years of Dateline’s Missing in America: 109 still missing

Brooks Houck's attorney says his client can't get a fair jury trial in Nelson County because of media attention and is requesting it to be moved to a different county.

Houck is charged with stealing thousands of dollars of shingles from a Bardstown Lowe's store in April. His girlfriend, Crystal Rogers, disappeared in 2015.

A judge will hear arguments on Dec. 20, with the theft trial expected to begin in January.

Attorney for Brooks Houck requests change of venue for theft trial

I put this together. How old is he?

Friday, Dec. 7th:

*Motions Hearing - KY – Crystal Rogers (35) (July 3, 2015, Bluegrass Parkway – 2 days later car found with flat tire, her purse, keys & phone inside. Listed as missing, but LE treating as homicide).
*Brooks Houck () named as main suspect 3 months after, but no arrest or charges have been made re murder.
Indicted (7/18/18) & charged & arraigned (8/2/18) on four felony theft counts of stealing thousands of dollars of shingles from a Bardstown Lowe's store in April & 4 misdemeanor theft charges. Plead not guilty. $25K full cash bond.
Bond conditions: He was given a dusk to dawn curfew, with the only exceptions to be work, medical appointments or family emergencies.
12/07/18: Defense requested a change of venue for his theft trial. Judge will hear arguments on Dec. 20, with the theft trial expected to begin in Jan. 28, 2019.

I put this together. How old is he?

Friday, Dec. 7th:

*Motions Hearing - KY – Crystal Rogers (35) (July 3, 2015, Bluegrass Parkway – 2 days later car found with flat tire, her purse, keys & phone inside. Listed as missing, but LE treating as homicide).
*Brooks Houck () named as main suspect 3 months after, but no arrest or charges have been made re murder.
Indicted (7/18/18) & charged & arraigned (8/2/18) on four felony theft counts of stealing thousands of dollars of shingles from a Bardstown Lowe's store in April & 4 misdemeanor theft charges. Plead not guilty. $25K full cash bond.
Bond conditions: He was given a dusk to dawn curfew, with the only exceptions to be work, medical appointments or family emergencies.
12/07/18: Defense requested a change of venue for his theft trial. Judge will hear arguments on Dec. 20, with the theft trial expected to begin in Jan. 28, 2019.

He turned 37 in October.

Thursday, Dec. 20th:
*Motions Hearing - KY – Crystal Rogers (35) (July 3, 2015 – 2 days later car found with flat tire, her purse, keys & phone inside. Listed as missing, but LE treating as homicide. *Brooks Houck (37) named as main suspect 3 months after, but no arrest or charges have been made.
Indicted (7/18/18) & charged & arraigned (8/2/18) on four felony theft counts of stealing thousands of dollars of shingles from a Bardstown Lowe's store in April & 4 misdemeanor theft charges. Plead not guilty. $25K full cash bond. He was also given a dusk to dawn curfew, with the only exceptions to be work, medical appointments or family emergencies.

I can't access this article:

Judge to rule on moving Brooks Houck's felony theft trial to different county

All I can read is:

Nelson Co. judge delays decision on change of venue for Brooks Houck's theft trial
WDRB
BARDSTOWN, Ky. (WDRB) -- A judge will have to decide whether Brooks Houck's felony theft trial will take place in Nelson County. On Thursday ...

If someone could give a 10% synopsis, it would be appreciated. I want to keep my notes up-to-date!

TIA!
animated-smileys-christmas-336.gif

I can't access this article:

Judge to rule on moving Brooks Houck's felony theft trial to different county

All I can read is:

Nelson Co. judge delays decision on change of venue for Brooks Houck's theft trial
WDRB
BARDSTOWN, Ky. (WDRB) -- A judge will have to decide whether Brooks Houck's felony theft trial will take place in Nelson County. On Thursday ...

If someone could give a 10% synopsis, it would be appreciated. I want to keep my notes up-to-date!

TIA!
animated-smileys-christmas-336.gif
Two counties up for discussion to move the theft case to included Hart County and Metcalfe County.

"We are not saying we are opposed," Nelson County Commonwealth's Attorney Terry Geoghegan said. "We do want to have a say in what the new venue might be if the judge decided to move it. And I think he will."

Seay did not make a decision Thursday. That will come Jan. 17. But he said he will keep the trial date set in Nelson County for Jan. 28 in case he decides to keep the case in Nelson County.

If Houck is found guilty, he could spend a maximum of 20 years behind bars.

MOO, they shouldn't move the case. Stealing shingles would not have been publicized if he weren't already under scrutiny for CRs disappearance. Here's a thought, don't act shady when the mother of your child goes missing and if you do, then definitely don't commit felony larceny after the fact. Rant over. I guess it's better than giving him grounds for appeal. Still hoping the R family receives justice one day...
JMO, MOO, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member