DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

KateB

Reaction score
crystal-rogers-photo-missing.jpg

Bardstown Police looking for missing woman Crystal Rogers
Authorities in Nelson Co. are looking for a woman who has been missing since Friday afternoon.

The Nelson County Sheriff's Office issued a statement asking for those who may know the whereabouts of 35-year-old Crystal M. Rogers.

Roger's vehicle was found on Bluegrass Pkwy. with the keys in the ignition and her belongings inside.

(July 6 Press conference Nelson County Sheriff's Office. Nelson County Gazette Youtube)

Nancy Grace Show 7/8/2015

Transcripts:
CNN.com - Transcripts
KY - KY - Crystal Rogers, 35, Bluegrass Parkway, 3 July 2015 #1
KY - KY - Crystal Rogers, 35, Bluegrass Parkway, 3 July 2015 #1

FBI's Crystal Rogers Task Force

Bardstown Police Department: Open letter from Chief Rick McCubbin

Crystal Rogers Facebook

Pray for Crystal's Safe Return Facebook group

Crystal Rogers Media Thread *NO DISCUSSION*

Thread #1
Thread #2

Last edited by a moderator:
What are your thoughts on why there would be a connection? What has led you to ask that? Commonalities in these cases? Relationships or friendships between the two families?

I asked the question because there have been quite a few unsolved homicides in the region between southern Ohio and Bardstown. But 4 have been arrested and charged with the Rhoden murders.

So there are a few new things I learned from this interview on the Today show, Brook ( Crystal's sister) confirmed that Crystal had told her she was definitely leaving Brooks, which was suspected but it is the first time I actually saw someone with knowledge acknowledge it.
There is a retired Homicide Detective who has all of Tommy Ballard's records regarding Crystal's death investigation, which he says are thorough and methodical. This guy is a cop from outside Kentucky so he certainly brings a fresh perspective with no threat of being corrupt.
When asked whether Sherry was aware of any domestic violence issues between Brooks and Crystal, she mentioned something interesting in that once Brooks and Crystal had been shooting guns and he had at some point replaced the bullets in the gun she was shooting with ammunition to increase the recoil in the gun, which damaged Crystal's shoulder. I questioned my husband regarding this particular new disclosure because I know nothing about guns. He says anyone can buy heavier ammunition for any kind of gun and some idiots especially those with reloaders put too high of ammunition in a gun that will cause the gun to damage or explode and will indeed cause injury or death. I'm wondering if he didn't set it up for Crystal to "accidentally" cause Crystal to kill herself with too heavy of an ammunition and maybe even in doing so, created the destruction of the gun which may possibly have killed Kathy Netherland and Officer Ellis.
Any hunters or gun people want to weigh in? TIA

With damage caused to her shoulder, it sounds to me like she was probably shooting a long gun (shotgun, rifle...) It's definitely possible to increase the likelihood of a gun malfunctioning. But if a handgun exploded, I would expect more damage to either the face or bilaterally to both shoulders. Bruising from shooting a long gun is somewhat common, if the shooter has the stock against the wrong part of the shoulder or doesn't keep the shoulder and weapon held firmly together while discharging it, things like that. I don't recall what weapons were used in the Netherland murders. Do you remember? TIA

With damage caused to her shoulder, it sounds to me like she was probably shooting a long gun (shotgun, rifle...) It's definitely possible to increase the likelihood of a gun malfunctioning. But if a handgun exploded, I would expect more damage to either the face or bilaterally to both shoulders. Bruising from shooting a long gun is somewhat common, if the shooter has the stock against the wrong part of the shoulder or doesn't keep the shoulder and weapon held firmly together while discharging it, things like that. I don't recall what weapons were used in the Netherland murders. Do you remember? TIA

Guys sometimes as joke slip in a heavier load to make the gun kick harder to an unsuspecting shooter. Especially shotgun shells. Now, in no way am I defending this behavior, but I seriously doubt it was designed to cause the gun to explode. From the outside looking in I think this is a weak argument supporting abuse. Do I think BH is likely involved in her being missing, yes! Do I think this was possibly an abusive relationship, yes! Do I think this slipping in a ‘heavy load’ as a sport shooter might call it, was designed to be abuse or cause real harm, no. JMO, for what it’s worth

Edited by me

@GoBuckeyes Kathy Netherland sustained a gun shot wound. Although I thought I had previously read that a shotgun was used, I haven’t found any verification but I’m still looking!

I don't think they've ever verified what type of gun was used in the Netherlands. A shotgun was used in Ofc. Ellis's ambush. The only thing they've ever said as far as the Netherlands was that Kathy was shot and Samantha was brutually beaten and her throat was slit. I hate even putting that out there, ugh, she was so young.

Everything I read today from multiple sources states that Kathy suffered multiple GSW and I was able to ascertain that the type of gun used as well as the ammunition were never disclosed.
Both Kathy and Samantha suffered cuts to the neck while Samantha additionally endured blunt force trauma repeatedly to her head. Ugh

Unfortunately this doesn’t help us as we are pretty sure Jason Ellis was killed with a rifle/shotgun, Tommy Ballard too and possibly Crystal as well.
@GoBuckeyes if you’re familiar with hunting and/or firearms, could you please explain a reloader and its possible significance in this case and the others? I get what you said about the ability to “overload” the ammo to cause harm with a rifle shot and I have considered that either Houck brother over loaded in an attempt to be funny or whatever but if Crystal fired a rifle that was “overloaded” or even a handgun would it have been enough force/recoil to kill and/or disfigure her?

Apologies for sounding stupid but is there a difference between a rifle and a shotgun? Would one or both make use of a reloader? And what specifically does the reloader do and what exactly would investigators be looking to discern with this particular evidence? TIA!

Guys sometimes as joke slip in a heavier load to make the gun kick harder to an unsuspecting shooter. Especially shotgun shells. Now, in no way am I defending this behavior, but I seriously doubt it was designed to cause the gun to explode. From the outside looking in I think this is a weak argument supporting abuse. Do I think BH is likely involved in her being missing, yes! Do I think this was possibly an abusive relationship, yes! Do I think this slipping in a ‘heavy load’ as a sport shooter might call it, was designed to be abuse or cause real harm, no. JMO, for what it’s worth

Edited by me
Do you know if you could only overload a rifle or does this work on a handgun too? If Crystal was killed over 4th of July holiday, no one would be able to discern the difference between fireworks and gunfire right? At least my dog hates both equally but I truly don’t believe on that weekend I would be able to determine which noises I heard and/or felt!
IMHO

Edited by me
Thanks! Again I am seeking information regarding the difference between a rifle and a shotgun? Also would an AR differ in any way from either? TIA!

Do you know if you could only overload a rifle or does this work on a handgun too? If Crystal was killed over 4th of July holiday, no one would be able to discern the difference between fireworks and gunfire right? At least my dog hates both equally but I truly don’t believe on that weekend I would be able to determine which noises I heard and/or felt!
IMHO
If her shoulder was hurt as described no way was it a hand gun. As for heavy loading a rifle, it can be done, but I would assume the shoulder injury was caused by shotgun recoil. Shotguns, 12 gauge, the most common, shoot in many cases a 2 and 5/8 shell, and a 3 inch shell. The 3 in shell being a heavy load. I assume he slipped in the chamber a regular, and then a heavy. 3 in shells are more for turkey, deer, and ducks. The other shells are light loads and still kick, but not as bad.

Rifle and hand gun ammo can be reloaded. It takes specialized equipment and more work then shotgun reloading. Up until the run on ammo rifle reloading was not common, at least not as common as shotgun reloading.

If I had to bet, and only on the shoulder injury issue, it was a shotgun with a heavy load shell slipped in. Again, this is a common joke at backyard clay pigeon shooting.

As for gun shot vs fireworks, I would say a you might can tell a difference in sound, but probably not at any significant distance.

Thanks! Again I am seeking information regarding the difference between a rifle and a shotgun? Also would an AR differ in any way from either? TIA!

An AR is a rifle. It looks a little more bad, but it is no real difference from any other rifle. One shot per trigger pull. A rifle shoots a solid lead bullet. A shotgun shoots a shell that contains many solid lead or steel balls. Without looking up the info let’s say a #8 load shell probably has 100 pellets or ‘shot’ smaller then a bb. It spreads out when shot and makes a ‘pattern’ about a foot or two wide at distance.

There is a shotgun shell that shoots a single projectile, this is called a ‘slug’. Used for deer mainly.

A shot gun is smooth bored. A rifle has spiral grooves in the barrel that causes the bullet to spin when it leaves the gun barrel. That groove is called rifling and thus the term rifle. That spinning causes the projectile to travel longer and straighter then a smooth bore. A shot gun has very limited range 100 ft or so, maybe a little more. A rifle is what snipers use in the military and can shoot for a mile or so.

This is a somewhat simple description of a rifle and shotgun but I hope it helps.

My info comes from being a life long hunter.

Edited to correct a wrong autocorrect

IMHO

Out here, hearing gun shots isn’t necessarily out of the ordinary. It would probably be hard to tell whether something is a gunshot vs fireworks on Fourth of July. However, if it was a random day, it’s possible that nobody would even think twice about hearing shots out here. It seems like every one hunts or shoots for fun.

Everything I read today from multiple sources states that Kathy suffered multiple GSW and I was able to ascertain that the type of gun used as well as the ammunition were never disclosed.
Both Kathy and Samantha suffered cuts to the neck while Samantha additionally endured blunt force trauma repeatedly to her head. Ugh

Unfortunately this doesn’t help us as we are pretty sure Jason Ellis was killed with a rifle/shotgun, Tommy Ballard too and possibly Crystal as well.
@GoBuckeyes if you’re familiar with hunting and/or firearms, could you please explain a reloader and its possible significance in this case and the others? I get what you said about the ability to “overload” the ammo to cause harm with a rifle shot and I have considered that either Houck brother over loaded in an attempt to be funny or whatever but if Crystal fired a rifle that was “overloaded” or even a handgun would it have been enough force/recoil to kill and/or disfigure her?

Apologies for sounding stupid but is there a difference between a rifle and a shotgun? Would one or both make use of a reloader? And what specifically does the reloader do and what exactly would investigators be looking to discern with this particular evidence? TIA!

I think the reloaded you’re referring to is the one brought out of Nicks house. I think they were hoping it would corroborate ballistics in Tommy Ballard’s death.

Ellis was killed with a shotgun, that shot buckshot. That makes it really difficult to run ballistics on bc they’re essentially pellets. I think you can match up markings from the firing pin but you have to actually have the shotgun.

I’ve always thought whoever killed Ellis knew exactly what they were doing. Using a shotgun from the spot they shot him at was used for maximum impact and not necessarily accuracy.

I think police use buck shot as their main ammo for shotguns. I wonder if the PD inventories ammo issued to officers.

And if I remember correctly, buck shot is sold in small boxes, maybe 5 shell boxes, and is expensive. So expensive and really not sporting so I never bought any. With that said, I don’t think lots of it is sold so I assume all local gun shops were probably checked for sales.

Was there ever any connection between christal and Ellis? When I watched one of the interviews between a houck and the state police, I think one of the guys alluded to christal maybe being involved with another officer??? Anyone remember this?

I think police use buck shot as their main ammo for shotguns. I wonder if the PD inventories ammo issued to officers.

And if I remember correctly, buck shot is sold in small boxes, maybe 5 shell boxes, and is expensive. So expensive and really not sporting so I never bought any. With that said, I don’t think lots of it is sold so I assume all local gun shops were probably checked for sales.

Was there ever any connection between christal and Ellis? When I watched one of the interviews between a houck and the state police, I think one of the guys alluded to christal maybe being involved with another officer??? Anyone remember this?
Crystal’s boyfriend’s brother, Nick Houck previously worked the same shift with Jason Ellis.
They did indeed allude to the fact that Crystal may have been seeing someone on the force. I’ve always wondered if the someone was Brooks’ own brother. IMO

Crystal’s boyfriend’s brother, Nick Houck previously worked the same shift with Jason Ellis.
They did indeed allude to the fact that Crystal may have been seeing someone on the force. I’ve always wondered if the someone was Brooks’ own brother. IMO

Ofc Ellis didn’t actually work the same shift as Nick. I’m sure they still knew of each other bc it’s a small dept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela