KY KY - Falmouth, WhtHispMale 25-45, UP81, Hanged, Prior Skull Reconstruction, Disfigured Face, Rosary Beads, Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Scapular, Jul’96

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know that the time frame's not good from an estimated PMI point of view, but here's a candidate:

ruvil_hale_1.jpg

• Missing Since 07/03/1990
  • Missing From Johnson County, Kentucky
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • SexMale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth 01/21/1947 (73)
  • Age 43 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'1, 208 pounds
  • Medical Conditions Hale was being treated for a brain aneurysm at the time of his disappearance, and had an open skull injury. He has also previously suffered a stroke. He had seizures, severe headaches, muscular weakness especially in his legs, poor coordination, memory loss, a paralyzed throat that caused him to choke easily, drastic mood swings, and double vision at the time he vanished, and he responded slowly. He needs multiple medications and round-the-clock are to control his conditions. He is classified as disabled.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Gray hair, brown eyes. Hale may spell his name "Ruble." He has previously fractured his skull and his arm. His gallbladder is missing. Hale's left arm is crippled. He has scars on his head and abdomen and a discoloration on his right cheek. Hale smoked cigarettes in 1990.
Circumstances:

Hale was last seen at the Paintsville Health Care Center, a nursing home in Johnson County, Kentucky, on July 3, 1990. He disappeared at around 10:25 a.m., at the same time that a 1988 Ford Tempo was stolen from the parking lot of Druther’s Restaurant, next door to the nursing home.

Witnesses reported a gray-haired man with eyeglasses drove the vehicle south towards Prestonsburg, Kentucky. Police suspected Hale stole the car, but his caregivers say he would have been physically incapable of driving far, especially without his medication.

Hale did not have his medicine with him at the time of his disappearance, and he had only $2 in cash. He received disability payments and never cashed his last check. The Ford he allegedly took had half a tank of gasoline at the time it was stolen.​

Half a tank would have been enough to get him to Falmouth from Paintsville, about 2 hours 4o minutes away, assuming the roads were as they are today, more or less. What happened to the car is a bit of a mystery.

paintsvilletofalmouth.png

Last edited:
that’s been the case many times :( depression is horrible.
I seen that “may be Roman Catholic” as well, my thoughts on that is that if he were to have committed suicide I’m not sure he would have been nude doing so, my family is old school Roman Catholic, kind of strict, but everyone is different. In Rebecca Z (can’t spell her last name) it appeared that she committed suicide but she was nude and her family has no doubt in their minds that she wouldn’t have committed suicide like that etc, that’s a long case for a different day tho. Just thought that the way John Doe was found was really strange, but psychosis can really do a number on a person and make them do things they normally wouldn’t.
If he's nude, the reason may simply be he doesn't want his clothes to help to identify him. For example, if there's a life insurance policy, then that's nullified by his suicide. And if it's Ruvil, his family's insistence that he had uncovered some skullduggery at the care home that caused his disappearance (see the Charley page linked above) suggests that they were trying to put the focus elsewhere, maybe for that exact reason, and/or to enhance the prospect of a lawsuit payout. If the home had actually caused him to disappear, the stolen car next door would have provided perfect cover for the crime, but they chose to claim that he would have been unable to drive a car.

Once again, assuming for the sake of argument that it's him, he may have had some help with an assisted suicide that got rid of the clothes and the car.

Hale's son said that he had attempted to hijack an ambulance, previously.

Against this possible ID: Black hair of hanged man, facial hair (though who knows how recent that Ruvil Hale photo is, though it says around 1990, year he disappeared); Ruvil's mother, judging from her obit from 2011, had joined a Baptist church in 1968, so wouldn't expect scapular, rosary; facial injuries were thought to have shown healing of from a few months to a couple of years, not 6.

Last edited:
I think he has a pronounced jaw, not really disfigured, but looking at his teeth then his jaw it looks like he’s got a possible overbite which when pics are taken stand out more. I’m still reading up on Joel’s case atm so hopefully more clues will pop up
Thank you for looking!

I know that the time frame's not good from an estimated PMI point of view, but here's a candidate:

View attachment 231274

• Missing Since 07/03/1990
  • Missing From Johnson County, Kentucky
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • SexMale
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth 01/21/1947 (73)
  • Age 43 years old
  • Height and Weight 6'1, 208 pounds
  • Medical Conditions Hale was being treated for a brain aneurysm at the time of his disappearance, and had an open skull injury. He has also previously suffered a stroke. He had seizures, severe headaches, muscular weakness especially in his legs, poor coordination, memory loss, a paralyzed throat that caused him to choke easily, drastic mood swings, and double vision at the time he vanished, and he responded slowly. He needs multiple medications and round-the-clock are to control his conditions. He is classified as disabled.
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Gray hair, brown eyes. Hale may spell his name "Ruble." He has previously fractured his skull and his arm. His gallbladder is missing. Hale's left arm is crippled. He has scars on his head and abdomen and a discoloration on his right cheek. Hale smoked cigarettes in 1990.
Circumstances:

Hale was last seen at the Paintsville Health Care Center, a nursing home in Johnson County, Kentucky, on July 3, 1990. He disappeared at around 10:25 a.m., at the same time that a 1988 Ford Tempo was stolen from the parking lot of Druther’s Restaurant, next door to the nursing home.

Witnesses reported a gray-haired man with eyeglasses drove the vehicle south towards Prestonsburg, Kentucky. Police suspected Hale stole the car, but his caregivers say he would have been physically incapable of driving far, especially without his medication.

Hale did not have his medicine with him at the time of his disappearance, and he had only $2 in cash. He received disability payments and never cashed his last check. The Ford he allegedly took had half a tank of gasoline at the time it was stolen.​

Half a tank would have been enough to get him to Falmouth from Paintsville, about 2 hours 4o minutes away, assuming the roads were as they are today, more or less. What happened to the car is a bit of a mystery.

View attachment 231275
If he's nude, the reason may simply be he doesn't want his clothes to help to identify him. For example, if there's a life insurance policy, then that's nullified by his suicide. And if it's Ruvil, his family's insistence that he had uncovered some skullduggery at the care home that caused his disappearance (see the Charley page linked above) suggests that they were trying to put the focus elsewhere, maybe for that exact reason, and/or to enhance the prospect of a lawsuit payout. If the home had actually caused him to disappear, the stolen car next door would have provided perfect cover for the crime, but they chose to claim that he would have been unable to drive a car.

Once again, assuming for the sake of argument that it's him, he may have had some help with an assisted suicide that got rid of the clothes and the car.

Hale's son said that he had attempted to hijack an ambulance, previously.

Against this possible ID: Black hair of hanged man, facial hair (though who knows how recent that Ruvil Hale photo is, though it says around 1990, year he disappeared); Ruvil's mother, judging from her obit from 2011, had joined a Baptist church in 1968, so wouldn't expect scapular, rosary; facial injuries were thought to have shown healing of from a few months to a couple of years, not 6.
Good find! Quite mysterious indeed, I’d not seen Ruvil’s case before. I think the gray hair is the only thing that I question...maybe the fact that he wouldn’t have physically been able to drive that far. But that’s assuming it’s 100% accurate. And he could have easily been picked up by someone who drove him. That’s a good theory as to why he was nude.

I read a little more about Ruvil and it seems likely he may have been killed for knowing about something he shouldn’t. I am curious now about him and what happened to him! Hopefully he has a thread here...

Good find! Quite mysterious indeed, I’d not seen Ruvil’s case before. I think the gray hair is the only thing that I question...maybe the fact that he wouldn’t have physically been able to drive that far. But that’s assuming it’s 100% accurate. And he could have easily been picked up by someone who drove him. That’s a good theory as to why he was nude.

I read a little more about Ruvil and it seems likely he may have been killed for knowing about something he shouldn’t. I am curious now about him and what happened to him! Hopefully he has a thread here...

does Ruvil have a thread here? If so I haven’t found it. Sometimes the search function on WS gets wonky

What about Peter Johnson? Missing from Davenport Aboriginal Reserve, Northern Territory, Australia since late January 1996. He was 43 years old, 5’6”, thin build, black hair and brown eyes. According to Australian Crime Stoppers website, “Peter Johnson was last seen at Davenport Aboriginal reserve in late January 1996, and was supposed to have returned to Santa Teresa Community near Alice Springs. He has not contacted family or friends since January and there have been no reported sightings. Peter Johnson has a defective right eye and suffers Post Traumatic epilepsy due to a head injury.”

Reading a little about the community he was from, I found that it’s the “most catholic place in Australia”. The vital stats, timeline, and religious elements match up and possibly the facial reconstruction depending on the nature of Peter’s head injury. I couldn’t find much else on his disappearance specifically, so I may need a little help explaining this one... if it’s at all possible.

B9799839-13DE-463F-9259-6454603A014D.jpeg
Peter

This Doe has stuck with me since I first read his case 10 years ago. It always struck me as interesting he was nude when found. The necklaces are pretty unique and I was hoping they could be recognized or traced back to a place of origin. I would love to see Carl's recon too.

was looking online to see if suicide by hanging victims can be rendered 'naked' due to environmental factors and it seems like, for the most part, if the body remains suspended, then the shirt stays on. Pants can slip off when the lower body skeletonizes, depending on how the person was hanging. I guess its possible that the UID was clothed but shirtless and his pants/underwear fell off and were taken by animals? of course not super important to the case but hanging yourself naked is an odd choice...
(i think if the UID wanted to hamper his identification, he'd remove his unique jewelery rather than/along with his clothes)

NamUs and other sources list this man as being white and Hispanic, which would fit with the rosary. It could also potentially explain why no one has identified him or reported him missing if there was some question as to his legal status. I've not had any success finding contemporary news articles (the Lexington Herald-Leader isn't on newspapers.com), but it's not clear to me that he was nude, just that they haven't bothered to describe any clothing.

A woven wire does seem like a really painful way to commit suicide to me.

Geesh...this poor guy.
I can't help think that he might have been part of the horse business in KY. The damage to his face could be explained by a fall from a horse, perhaps into a steeple. Or just a horse stepping on the face. The woven wire would be something easily found on a farm.

Strange...but in 2007 an hour (60 miles) to the south in Versailles, KY a young hispanic horse trainer went missing. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

The nakedness is an odd, rather sexual touch... More like a homicide.

PS...scapula.jpg
The scapular is actually brown originally and is the scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

Last edited:
I'm shocked that there wasn't a push to reach out to local hospitals and see if anyone matching his description had surgery of that type within the last two years. I know doctors can't reveal the names of their patients but they could've at least been able to confirm or deny it.

View attachment 246528
Actually sat down to do a real sketch of the skull based on the PM photo.
The mustache, et al are interpretations of the area below the nose, not seen in the PM photo.
Wonderful of you to take the time to do this! It really helps to humanize him. This case is one that has stuck with me. Thank you for sharing your sketch!

Wonderful of you to take the time to do this! It really helps to humanize him. This case is one that has stuck with me. Thank you for sharing your sketch!

Thank you @MadMcGoo !!! It's such a sad case! I can see why it has stuck with you.

I forwarded the sketch, and they quickly responded by saying it's a very good rendition of him based on the post-mortem photos they have of him. They posted the image to his Namus page...So, hopefully, it will be of some help in him getting his name back.

Joe Angel Luiz.jpg UP81c2.jpg
Anyone else see the resemblance?
If so, would anyone like to submit him?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Joe Angel Luiz
Namus: MP5040
DLC: March 30, 1992
37 years old
5' 8" - 5" 9"
165 - 180 lbs
White/Hispanic
Black hair, Brown eyes
Scar left eye
Dan Holley, Missing Persons Detective, Las Vegas Metro Police Department
Agency Case# 920423-1583

Circumstances: "Joe Luiz, was home on 03-10-92 working in his house while his daughters were there. When his wife returned home he was gone. Joe did not take his car, but he did pack a suitcase. His wife reported Joe would not walk out on his family." "There was a vehicle available to the M/P at the time of his disappearance. However he was last seen leaving his home on foot."

View attachment 246659 View attachment 246660
Anyone else see the resemblance?
If so, would anyone like to submit him?

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Joe Angel Luiz
Namus: MP5040
DLC: March 30, 1992
37 years old
5' 8" - 5" 9"
165 - 180 lbs
White/Hispanic
Black hair, Brown eyes
Scar left eye
Dan Holley, Missing Persons Detective, Las Vegas Metro Police Department
Agency Case# 920423-1583

Circumstances: "Joe Luiz, was home on 03-10-92 working in his house while his daughters were there. When his wife returned home he was gone. Joe did not take his car, but he did pack a suitcase. His wife reported Joe would not walk out on his family." "There was a vehicle available to the M/P at the time of his disappearance. However he was last seen leaving his home on foot."
i do see a similarity but i think im skewed by his facial hair/hair style, and that was artistic license for the facial recon, right?

i do see a similarity but i think im skewed by his facial hair/hair style, and that was artistic license for the facial recon, right?

Yes, that was artistic license for the recon. It was stated that the UID had a mustache, goatee and sparse beard along the mandible, and that he had 3" long black hair on his head.

Attachments

• Joe Angel Luiz 3.jpg
    Joe Angel Luiz 3.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 4

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members