KY- I-75 Active Shooter Targeting Vehicles

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Couch most recently lived in Woodbine, a small community about 20 miles (32 kilometers) south of the shooting scene. Acciardo said authorities found his abandoned vehicle Saturday and then an AR-15 rifle on Sunday in a wooded area near a highway where “he could have shot down upon the interstate.” A phone believed to be Couch’s was also found by law enforcement, but the battery had been taken out.

It seems possible that the suspect has deliberately planned his actions and possible retreat, and now is trying to lay low in some well-prepared shelter (bunker or a cabin) in the forest, with supply of groceries and other stuff (like ammo etc.) for weeks ahead.
JMOHO

Sorry if bringing up a point that's already been sliced & diced.

Headline* from last night:
".... Officials said that nothing in his criminal history suggested anything like this would happen."

Sooo no hints, no clues, nothing at all? Officials said that?

Next sentence:
"A terroristic threatening charge against Couch was dismissed."

Sooo, officials glossed over his ARREST history?
Or did officials say, none of his criminal CONVICTIONS suggested....
Did presser(s?) show exactly who said this? I did not see, so IDK.

Regardless, a terrifying situation. Hoping when perp is located, his actions will become part of his criminal conviction history.

Possible that some people had thought their car had been struck by a rock until they saw the news report and then they checked their vehicles and discovered it was a bullet.

I travel for work so I drive many miles on interstates, several times my work vehicle has been struck by a small rock that another vehicle ran over and threw into my vehicle. My first thought wasn’t “probably a bullet.”
Yeah I kinda got the impression that the victim they interviewed was having a similar moment--she said it took her a mile more of driving before she even realized she had been shot.

State police Master Trooper Scottie Pennington, a spokesman for the London state police post, said troopers are being brought in from around the state to aid the manhunt. He described the extensive search area as “walking in a jungle” with machetes needed to cut through thickets of woods.

Acciardo said it appears that the attacker planned the shooting for that location because it is very remote and the terrain is hilly, rocky and hard to navigate.
……
Authorities initially said nine vehicles were struck by gunfire, but later increased that number to 12, saying some people did not realize their cars had been hit by bullets until they arrived home. They said the gunman fired a total of 20 to 30 rounds.

Thank you.

".... Officials said that nothing in his criminal history suggested anything like this would happen."

Next sentence:

Regardless, a terrifying situation. Hoping when perp is located, his actions will become part of his criminal conviction history.

Scary info.

I thought I read or heard... the victim who reported the threat failed to show up for court and/or failed to file charges against Couch? I could be very wrong about that bit of info, though.

I wonder if Couch's family attempted to get mental health treatment for him?

ETA: Question.... IF he spent any time in treatment would this fact have inhibited his ability to purchase a gun?

Next sentence:

Several inconsistencies in reporting. That’s normal. I just wish they would arrest him, I hate to think of a manhunt where he has an advantage of shooting an officer. LE doesn’t get paid enough. So sad.

Next sentence:

After googling a bit, I think the word "terroristic threat" is making a threat to do something that would injure others. It's not "terroristic" in the sense of some bigger ideology. We don't know what the threat was, but I'm guessing he was saying he intended to hurt people.

Basically, it seems that a "terroristic threat" is what most of us would call a threat.

JMO with info we have now.

Last edited:
The London Police Department posted a picture of Couch, initially naming him a person of interest and later as a suspect in the shooting after authorities said they recovered his SUV on a service road near the crime scene. They later found a semiautomatic weapon nearby that they believe was used in the shooting, said Deputy Gilbert Acciardo, a spokesperson for the local sheriff’s office.
JA_C.jpeg

(Photo from link, sorry it's B&W and poor quality)

Trying to catch up here.
No FB page for the perp ?
Anything happen in this unstable individual's life recently to make him snap ?
Surprised if this is the only photo of him.
Hoping he's caught very soon --- dead or alive.
Omo.

Is the automatic weapon they found the same one he purchased that morning? Why hasn't the media asked/clarified that? Or have I missed it?

Is the automatic weapon they found the same one he purchased that morning? Why hasn't the media asked/clarified that? Or have I missed it?
My hunch is that info would not be released right now because it wouldn't help capture the guy. But, weapon information will help in court to convict him later.

jmo

Delayed Reaction? Location of Damage to Vehicle?
Possible that some people had thought their car had been struck by a rock until they saw the news report and then they checked their vehicles and discovered it was a bullet.

I travel for work so I drive many miles on interstates, several times my work vehicle has been struck by a small rock that another vehicle ran over and threw into my vehicle. My first thought wasn’t “probably a bullet.”
@IceIce9 Good point.
I wonder whether the rounds hit victims & vehicles thru side window, windshield, door, or roof.
Yes, I see a delay in realizing what happened could depend on where the vehicle damage was and how serious the personal injury was.

Many years ago on a four lane divided highway w little traffic, I was driving along w no worries, all of a sudden, BAM.
Something exploded & hit me in my shoulder in driver's seat, leaving broken glass over front seats (and me).
I thought it was a bullet until realizing it was a marble sized piece of gravel that had been thrown thru the passenger SIDE window by a highway dept. tractor mowing down in the ditch.

If it had come thru the WINDSHIELD, I probably would have immediately thought gravel was thrown from in front of me, but there was no vehicle close enough to have caused that.

My hunch is that info would not be released right now because it wouldn't help capture the guy. But, weapon information will help in court to convict him later.

jmo
I'm more interested because if that isn't the weapon he purchased that day, then he still has another... "He may still be armed WITH ANOTHER AR-type Rifle" is good data to know.

Scary info.

I thought I read or heard... the victim who reported the threat failed to show up for court and/or failed to file charges against Couch? I could be very wrong about that bit of info, though.

I wonder if Couch's family attempted to get mental health treatment for him?

ETA: Question.... IF he spent any time in treatment would this fact have inhibited his ability to purchase a gun?

"...failed to show up for court..."

YES. My question is 'why did they fail to show up?' And who was this witness?

Was this witness afraid because perp had threatened to harm other members of their family? Were they 'missing' at the time? Seen several cases (think Rebecca Barsotti) where witnesses did not show, thanks to actions of perp.

MOO - IANAE - YMMV - etc.

I'm more interested because if that isn't the weapon he purchased that day, then he still has another... "He may still be armed WITH ANOTHER AR-type Rifle" is good data to know.
I the reason they didn't say if it was THE weapon he just bought is because it has been stated he had other guns before buying the one he did so even if the gun they found is the one purchased, it doesn't mean he isn't armed. They want the pubic to remain vigilant and not assume he is now unarmed.

The London Police Department posted a picture of Couch, initially naming him a person of interest and later as a suspect in the shooting after authorities said they recovered his SUV on a service road near the crime scene. They later found a semiautomatic weapon nearby that they believe was used in the shooting, said Deputy Gilbert Acciardo, a spokesperson for the local sheriff’s office.
View attachment 530068

(Photo from link, sorry it's B&W and poor quality)

Trying to catch up here.
No FB page for the perp ?
Anything happen in this unstable individual's life recently to make him snap ?
Surprised if this is the only photo of him.
Hoping he's caught very soon --- dead or alive.
Omo.
@Chimera "Surprised if this is the only photo of him."

Pic on LE/FBI poster gives me the impression of a driver's license photo.
Just going by the blue background, his smile (likely not a mug shot) and showing "August 2021."

Easily available to LE. Why not more? IDK.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
somnus
Back