KY- I-75 Active Shooter Targeting Vehicles

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
SEP 9, 2024
[...]

The warrants charge Joseph A. Couch, 32, with five counts of attempted murder and five counts of first-degree assault, according to Commonwealth’s Attorney Jackie Steele, the felony prosecutor for Laurel County, where the shootings occurred.

The murder and assault charges are based on the injuries and attacks on the same five people.

Police could also charge Couch with wanton endangerment and criminal mischief for shooting into other cars where people were not hurt.

[...]

I think it's best to assume he is armed and dangerous, even if we don't know for sure.

jmopinion
They have said all along he is still dangerous and could be armed. But "armed and dangerous" means something entirely different if the person is unexpectedly armed with an AR-type rifle. I want to know if Couch had more than one of those.

SEP 9, 2024
[...]

"That's such a remote area up there," Acciardo said. "We've got drones, we've got helicopters, we've got dogs. "Like I said, federal, state and local agencies have assisted us greatly on this. There's been an outpouring like you would not believe."

[...]

Authorities say 40-50 federal, state and local law enforcement agents are on the ground searching for him. However, they are forced to end certain operations when it gets dark.

[...]

Despite the search postponing at night, Acciardo said they would know if the suspect left the area.

"We have the area contained," he said. "If one gunshot went off, our people would be right on it. He'd be crazy to shoot anytime right now. He obviously has to know we're looking for him."

[...]

I supposed there could be a number of reasons that would prompt Couch to cease fire and ditch most of his Ammo; but I’d like to think that just maybe during the act, he realized how horrible his actions were.

If this were true, if he felt remorse, then IMO he would have turned himself in.

I don’t know why he’s ditching a gun and ammo and possibly a cell phone that he rendered unusable for now.

It’s certainly not leaving a trail of breadcrumbs so he can be found, since again he could just surrender when he sees and hears LE searching for him.

I imagine that he’s armed with at least one more gun and maybe carrying too much was slowing him down.

I’m very unfamiliar with Kentucky. Is that an area where the trees will be bare as winter approaches? Although I understand from those of you with more knowledge that there are caves and other places he can hide out.

Still fearing an Eric Rudolph situation that lasted five years.

JMO and guesses.

No I don’t. I wanted to add, if you are talking about shootings from the overpasses in Louisville, it was all over the local news stations and when driving in the Louisville atea there were signs lit up over the interstates making people aware. No arrests made. People have to go on but it’s eerie sometimes. The last person killed was an off duty highway patrolman. Very sad. He was young and had small children. No reason for this!
Yes, I believe the individual being referred to as an off duty highway patrolman was officer Jason Ellis, Bardstown Police Department, Kentucky. IIRC he was shot and killed May 25, 2013. I don’t believe there is a WS thread for him? (Maybe there should be?) And IIUC there are often references in his unsolved case made to the case of Crystal Rogers also of Bardstown. There is a WS thread for the Crystal Rogers’ case. :( MOO

If this were true, if he felt remorse, then IMO he would have turned himself in.

I don’t know why he’s ditching a gun and ammo and possibly a cell phone that he rendered unusable for now.

It’s certainly not leaving a trail of breadcrumbs so he can be found, since again he could just surrender when he sees and hears LE searching for him.

I imagine that he’s armed with at least one more gun and maybe carrying too much was slowing him down.

I’m very unfamiliar with Kentucky. Is that an area where the trees will be bare as winter approaches? Although I understand from those of you with more knowledge that there are caves and other places he can hide out.

JMO and guesses.
I'm interpreting the dropped items as a disregard for what he has done and is doing. The violence and disruption and fear he is perpetuating don't matter to him so he's leaving his "trash" behind him and possibly even taunting LE. A phone without a battery? That was left on purpose. imo

jmo

Updated: 10:58 AM EDT Sep 9, 2024

They are also searching from the air using a helicopter and a drone with infrared thermal imaging capability. You can see that in the photos below.

infrared drone

Laurel County Sheriff's Office

infrared drone monitor

Despite having found the AR-15, police believe that Couch could still very well be armed.

The impact of the manhunt caused several schools in the area to cancel classes.

They can be seen below:
  • Annville Christian Academy
  • Barbourville Independent Schools
  • Clay County Public Schools
  • Corbin Independent Schools
  • East Bernstadt Independent Schools
  • Jackson County Public Schools
  • Knox County Public Schools
  • Laurel County Public Schools
  • Rockcastle County Schools
  • Somerset Community College (Laurel County campuses)
  • Whitley County Public Schools
  • Williamsburg Independent Schools

Updated: 10:58 AM EDT Sep 9, 2024

They are also searching from the air using a helicopter and a drone with infrared thermal imaging capability. You can see that in the photos below.

infrared drone

infrared drone monitor

Despite having found the AR-15, police believe that Couch could still very well be armed.

The impact of the manhunt caused several schools in the area to cancel classes.

They can be seen below:
  • Annville Christian Academy
  • Barbourville Independent Schools
  • Clay County Public Schools
  • Corbin Independent Schools
  • East Bernstadt Independent Schools
  • Jackson County Public Schools
  • Knox County Public Schools
  • Laurel County Public Schools
  • Rockcastle County Schools
  • Somerset Community College (Laurel County campuses)
  • Whitley County Public Schools
  • Williamsburg Independent Schools
Go, little drone, go!

jmo

"The shooting unfolded around 5:30 p.m. local time on Saturday evening, officials said. Arriving deputies initially found nine vehicles had been shot in both the north and southbound lanes of I-75, Laurel County Sheriff John Root said at a news conference late Saturday night. By Sunday night, that number had jumped to 12 vehicles, according to officials.
Root said that the recovery of the weapon and Couch's vehicle, as well as "some information" he could not share ..."

"...It is also
possible Couch has killed himself somewhere in the wilderness, Laurel County Sheriff’s Office Captain Richard Dalrymple said Sunday.
Couch, a veteran of the National Guard, has a “very minimal” criminal record in the state, according to Jackie Steele..."

Rbm.

Re. the bolded : Maybe the best scenario if Couch plans to continue inflicting mayhem ?
If taken alive, he could face either the DP or life without parole.
Although since no one has died (thankfully !), maybe not ?

He has nothing to lose, and could seize some innocent person as a hostage and human shield.

Omo.

JMO and guesses.

Definitely wishful thinking on my part, in that hoping he stopped firing due to remorse. I still do wonder though why he only managed to get off so few rounds.

Personally, I think that this guy will be caught or found deceased sooner than later. I think this will play out much more like Christopher Dorner rather than Eric Rudolph, but JMO.

Im pretty sure Hes not eligible for the Death Penalty unless one of the victims dies
Bbm
in 1976, the Supreme Court left open the possibility of imposing the death penalty for offenses other than murder, such as rape or even armed robbery. However, the Court soon ruled that the death penalty would be unconstitutional for the rape of an adult where no death had occurred. That ban was later extended to any non-homicidal rape by the U.S. Supreme Court decision Kennedy v. Louisiana, and the Court commented that the death penalty could no longer be applied for any crime against an individual where no death occurred. The question of whether the death penalty might be used for crimes against the government, such as treason or espionage, remains unsettled.

I wasn’t sure if a heat-seeking infrared drone could also locate a body, if he dies and is no longer emitting heat.

This forensic site has information about that.

So much I don’t know about forensics!

SEP 9, 2024
[...]

"That's such a remote area up there," Acciardo said. "We've got drones, we've got helicopters, we've got dogs. "Like I said, federal, state and local agencies have assisted us greatly on this. There's been an outpouring like you would not believe."

[...]

Authorities say 40-50 federal, state and local law enforcement agents are on the ground searching for him. However, they are forced to end certain operations when it gets dark.

[...]

Despite the search postponing at night, Acciardo said they would know if the suspect left the area.

"We have the area contained," he said. "If one gunshot went off, our people would be right on it. He'd be crazy to shoot anytime right now. He obviously has to know we're looking for him."

[...]
Thank you.

Updated: 11:28 AM EDT Sep 9, 2024
"He obtained that firearm at a local place here in London, but it was obtained legally. He went through the ATF, he went through all the proper paperwork and we have that paperwork, copies of receipts ..." Sheriff John Root said.

Yes, I believe the individual being referred to as an off duty highway patrolman was officer Jason Ellis, Bardstown Police Department, Kentucky. IIRC he was shot and killed May 25, 2013. I don’t believe there is a WS thread for him? (Maybe there should be?) And IIUC there are often references in his unsolved case made to the case of Crystal Rogers also of Bardstown. There is a WS thread for the Crystal Rogers’ case. :( MOO
I dont remember if it was him. But there were others also. One man was driving his daughter to school and using Interstate 71, IIRC. He was killed. My memory isn’t what it used to be due to age but I remember the horror I felt that anyone could do this to another person, for fun at that! I still feel strange when going there but I know this has happened all over America. I think people have lost their minds.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colinnew
Back