Found Deceased KY - James 'Mike' Kimsey, 48, Louisville, 29 May 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Really Wyle E. Coyote.....and you're saying LE is infallible????? And WHY don't you find it "credible that he was at the quarry"? He could've been there early on and his body then moved! :gaah:

If I recall, there was no weapon found or rope, etc. So, how did he commit suicide?:thinking:

Thank you Rocky Road...I realized after I posted that I was thinking of another case involving a pilot. Sorry that I misrepresented his medical issues..Unintentional for sure..

LOL! I did the exact same thing. I drove myself crazy hunting for that hat, only to find it was another case.

Really Wyle E. Coyote.....and you're saying LE is infallible????? And WHY don't you find it "credible that he was at the quarry"? He could've been there early on and his body then moved! :gaah:
Can you please show me where I said LE was infallible?

Occam's Razor. The explanation with the fewest number of assumptions is most likely to be correct.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

If I recall, there was no weapon found or rope, etc. So, how did he commit suicide?:thinking:
Overdose... plastic bag that has since blown away... there are probably other possibilities.

I'll duck my head low after posting this--if I've read this entire thread correctly, i may not have, he went walking in the middle of the night?

I hadn't heard that his hat was found at the quarry. Can someone please provide a link?

I am glad the hat was a misspoken thing. I had not heard that. We can all go back and look at the press conference, but the speaker mumbled something about they expected this to be the case-- assumed he had wandered off and committed suicide and that an animal might find his remains. And they did say the searched the area three time-- called it a"thicket" and had police academy recruits search the best they could. As far a hanging-- I was only thinking of a common method and one that is quiet. I am assuming that a body blowing in the wind, decomposing, might break and fall in parts, and perhaps a rope (which no accessories rope, gun, clothes, cell phone or wallet was ever mentioned being recovered) still hangs there and body or clothing bits might be tangled in it. Or once were. That is one hope that the family could know he hung himself if that exists. I said before if he overdosed on pills, well heck, the PILLS WOULD BE MISSING FROM HIS HOME, and the police would know this from their first visit and know that the OD theory is a possibility. My sister died at home in 2011 of cancer, and my brother in law said the meds were are reviewed and counted. I would think LE would have done this. And suffocation-- tie a plastic bag over your head and lie down. That could have happened, but the weight of the decomposing head would have held the bag down, and if it was a dog who retrieved the jawbone, he might have had to fish it out of the bag---it could happen. As far as the dog and my questioning; I just don't see a domesticated dog, getting a few hours or minutes to escape would hit the lottery and find a human bone and bring it back to the yard. Perhaps this bone was brought to the yard over time, with it's retrieval and being carried around for a week or two until it finally made it to the yard. I guess the vision of: A DOG GOES AND GETS THE JAWBONE AND BRINGS IT INTO ITS OWN YARD TO BE DISCOVERED BY THE HOMEOWNER, just sounds so fast, and scripted. Perhaps the homeowner saw it laying in the yard for days and finally put two and two together. The way it was presented was just a neat little package. Probably didn't happen like that exactly. I wish it had not taken the police months to resolve this--- and actually they didn't. They just sat back and let it resolve itself. Even at three weeks in, the body would have been very decomposed if that is indeed when LE first came on the scene or did searches. I just watched "Snapped" where the lady killed her husband and his body was in the basement for a month and she needed to dispose of the it. She is on tape being interviewed saying that the head, arms and legs just pulled off when she went to get rid of him. So Mike was in heat, sun, wind and he was probably a mess by then--- the police should have been able to see or smell something. If they even really looked. And the wife---she and her Daddy and whoever else stayed with her could have taken an evening stroll and beat the bushes and found him right away. Why didn't she? Why didn't she need closure? If I lived in that neighborhood, I would have been bugging everyone to go on walks...... This could have been resolved a long time ago.

I'll duck my head low after posting this--if I've read this entire thread correctly, i may not have, he went walking in the middle of the night?

His wife claimed the last time she saw him was at 3:30 am and when she got up in the morning he was gone. I believe she said she knew he showered that morning.

Do people shower before they head out to kill themselves? I know I have read about other instances where people gave stopped to buy a snack before committing suicide, but this just makes me wonder. Is it an impulse thing if it is suicide?

I had a friend and a family member commit suicide. Both were extremely well planned out and certain things were done in advance. I think that probably colors my view because deep down I know that it can be done impulsively, although I find it hard to believe in Mike's case.

Another thing I find ironic is that the former police officer that Mike's wife first called spouted off a few weeks ago about letters written by Mike she supposedly found when searching their house. Was she laying ground work to make Mike's death look like suicide?

Overdose... plastic bag that has since blown away... there are probably other possibilities.

Knowing the man, if indeed he made a sudden decision to take his own life, I don't see him carrying a bunch of pills in his hand, not in an Rx bottle, take them all and huddle in the brush and wait to take effect. Why not just lie down in his bed? I also do not see him choosing to put a bag over his head and hide in the bushes to suffocate, because again, he could have done that in a bedroom or bathroom and his body be found quickly by his wife, not to mention a bag over the head is not typically a method of suicide, but for death by murder or accident. I think you are grasping at straws to try to give some credibility to your theories. Mike was extremely smart and would have most likely gone somewhere far away to ensure a child would not find him, and and would have probably used a firearm, which is the most popular method for a male. If you believe he met his demise at this location, can you offer a possible explanation why no signs of death in that wooded area so near houses? Or why it took 8 months for an animal to notice him? Would have been much more likely that an animal or bird would have found him prior to now. Forensics will show how decomp occurred, and most likely where it occurred, which will change thought on this, I believe. MOO

Has it been reported that no rope or weapon was found? I don't remember hearing or reading that.

It was not police that performed this search. It was Mike's parents who organized the search, they found someone who helps find veterans who are missing, with dogs and divers. These are the dogs that found Mike's hat near the quarry. The police ended this search of the quarry, told the Kimseys that Mike was not in the quarry, and told them to go home.

I'm not sure how to take your post (it reads to me like the Kimseys were disappointed) but in this link posted by yourself, the Kimseys sound satisfied with the search. I think if they were told to go home it was more than likely said in a compassionate manner but empathy can be lost once translated into text. Im surprised Mikes hat being found wasn't also mentioned in this link. Why would they leave that fact out if they are mentioning that the searching stems from a scent of Mike?

http://louisvillenewspost.com/dive-team-searches-quarry-for-missing-ups-pilot/

The tip from KYK9 led police to the quarry, but after hours of searching, they didn’t find anything.

The Kimseys are disappointed, but they’re glad another spot has been checked.

“It helps me. I won’t have to worry about it anymore. I won’t have to worry about this place anymore,” JoAnn Kimsey said.

A spokesman for the Louisville Metro Police Department said search crews did not find anything Tuesday. The case remains an open investigation.

Kimsey’s parents are glad they were able to see the search for themselves.

“We’re just thankful now that the police are really dedicated to his case,” Larry Kimsey, Mike’s father, said.
Eta: I just hope all Mikes family get the answers they need and Mike can be laid to rest peacefully.

Can anyone who is very familiar with the area/neighborhood comment on the pictures of the area that were posted, related to the following questions:
a) Are what appears to be 4 wheeler tracks near where the body was found actually 4 wheeler tracks? If not, what are they?
b) Where is the "walking trail" that has been mentioned several times, related to the maps?
c) Does anyone know what Mike's normal walking travel path would have been?
d) Anyone know who owns the property where Mike was found?

So there is no link about his hat being found? Sorry if I'm repeating myself, but I'm trying to figure out where this information is coming from.

All (or almost all) the stories on Websleuths are sad, but for some reason this one seems especially sad to me. By all accounts Mike was a wonderful, well-liked, loving and upstanding guy. If this was suicide, as LE seems to think it was, well, what a tragedy. I've had suicides in my life, and they are like atom bombs to the survivors. I only wish there was a way for people to get better, more effective help before it comes this*. He must have been experiencing unimaginable pain, and now his family is.

But I wouldn't discount the idea that this could be a different kind of medical emergency, too. When I was a kid, a neighbor--also a middle-aged man--went missing. Fortunately he was found 24 hours later "under a bush," in the woods; he'd had a stroke, became confused, and wandered off. He was lucky and survived. But if he hadn't been found for six months no one would have had any idea what happened.

And if foul play was involved, this seems extremely poorly handled. Either LE had *really* good evidence that this was a suicide from the get-go, or they thought they had, because there doesn't seem to have been much of an investigation. But maybe that's just what it looks like from the outside. (We usually have a lot more information to go on, here on WB.)

Still... this case is just so sad and unsettling.

(*Actually: There is a lot of very promising-looking research being done on the effectiveness of ketamine for very rapid treatment of suicidal feelings. One of the problems with depression is it can take weeks for a drug to kick in, and as often as not the first drug tried doesn't work anyway. Ketamine seems to take effect immediately. There are clinics in bigger cities that are already offering this treatment. In any event, it's certainly worth a try for anyone who is feeling at the end of their rope.)

And if foul play was involved, this seems extremely poorly handled. Either LE had *really* good evidence that this was a suicide from the get-go, or they thought they had, because there doesn't seem to have been much of an investigation. But maybe that's just what it looks like from the outside. (We usually have a lot more information to go on, here on WB.)

I would agree with you about this in CONCEPT, but in actuality, this theory (of "really" good evidence that this was a suicide from the get-go) was disputed by the police in one of the interviews about Mike's disappearance. LE said they had nothing suspicious (not an exact quote) found in what they had looked into in Mike's life. I am normally a huge supporter of LE, but with what we know (not much as you say) and what we've been told, they are either holding back information or they appear to have dropped the ball on this case. Even if Mike did commit suicide, as you say, having found him earlier in the process would have let everyone know that for sure.
Assuming he was in the same location he was found for the entire time he was missing, and that is in fact where he met his end.

I'm not sure how to take your post (it reads to me like the Kimseys were disappointed) but in this link posted by yourself, the Kimseys sound satisfied with the search. I think if they were told to go home it was more than likely said in a compassionate manner but empathy can be lost once translated into text. Im surprised Mikes hat being found wasn't also mentioned in this link. Why would they leave that fact out if they are mentioning that the searching stems from a scent of Mike?

http://louisvillenewspost.com/dive-team-searches-quarry-for-missing-ups-pilot/

The tip from KYK9 led police to the quarry, but after hours of searching, they didn’t find anything.

The Kimseys are disappointed, but they’re glad another spot has been checked.

“It helps me. I won’t have to worry about it anymore. I won’t have to worry about this place anymore,” JoAnn Kimsey said.

A spokesman for the Louisville Metro Police Department said search crews did not find anything Tuesday. The case remains an open investigation.

Kimsey’s parents are glad they were able to see the search for themselves.

“We’re just thankful now that the police are really dedicated to his case,” Larry Kimsey, Mike’s father, said.
Eta: I just hope all Mikes family get the answers they need and Mike can be laid to rest peacefully.

There were 2 searches of the quarry. The first was done with the KYK9, which used LMPD divers, and the Kimseys (Mike's parents) were there, as well as the police, and these quotes were when this began. They felt good about this, were happy that police seemed to be getting involved in searching to help, and felt that finally the quarry would be searched. The KYK9 dogs found Mike's scent in the area around the quarry, which reinforced the need to rule out the quarry with a search. Maybe the cap was not mentioned in reports, and maybe I should not have mentioned this. It doesn't matter though, the dogs picked up a scent around the quarry. The divers began, and algae was thick in the quarry. All in news reports. Helicopters were also in the area those couple of days, searching. I believe the divers had only been diving a couple of days, when the lead homicide detective came in and told the KYK9 to shut it down, stop the search, and gave no explanation to the Kimseys, he told Mike's mother he didn't want to talk to her and only to Mike's father, said that Mike is not in the quarry and for the Kimseys to go home. I don't think there was any compassion in this order, and neither did anyone else at the time, and basically all involved were stunned by this. Mike's wife was not there during this search. The divers had not begun to cover the entire quarry, so this left the job unfinished. Several weeks later, Mike's parents, proceeded to do all that was necessary legally to organize another search of the quarry with KYK9, and at that time sonar equipment was used. Mike was not found, and this gave some closure to whether Mike was in the quarry at that time. I hope this clears up any confusion I caused.

Reactions: Hap
There is no link about the hat! So, best to just say, Mike's scent was picked up in the area surrounding the quarry.

I would agree with you about this in CONCEPT, but in actuality, this theory (of "really" good evidence that this was a suicide from the get-go) was disputed by the police in one of the interviews about Mike's disappearance. LE said they had nothing suspicious (not an exact quote) found in what they had looked into in Mike's life. I am normally a huge supporter of LE, but with what we know (not much as you say) and what we've been told, they are either holding back information or they appear to have dropped the ball on this case. Even if Mike did commit suicide, as you say, having found him earlier in the process would have let everyone know that for sure.
Assuming he was in the same location he was found for the entire time he was missing, and that is in fact where he met his end.

Yes--it's awful he wasn't found sooner. From here on the other side of the computer, I can't tell how hard or effectively he was searched for, but I do know that it can be extremely difficult to find a body when you don't know where to look. Still, it looks like that wedge of woods isn't very big and is an obvious starting point, so I don't know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnootWolf02
Back