KY - Rowan County clerk Kim Davis Jailed for Contempt, 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Her job requires her to obey THE LAW. This is not a job in a private sector, this is a governmental position.

Yes, the laws changed during her tenure. And she was free to seek other employment more palatable to her discerning tastes. She chose, however, to keep on cashing those paychecks and refusing to do the job she was paid to do. That is fraud and theft. Also stuff that Jesus said was not cool.

Again, I assert that anyone who truly had an objection based on moral or ethical grounds would not have such a hard time walking away from the oh-so-saintly MONEY,baby!

This is the Rowan county clerk site. Notice Kim's name in a huge banner on the top and a personal message from her.
http://rowancountyclerk.com/

As county clerk I am responsible for providing many services to the people of Rowan county. These duties include general categories of clerical duties of the fiscal court: issuing and registering, recording and keeping various legal records, registering and purging voter rolls, and conducting election duties and tax duties.

Our office is here to serve the public in a friendly, professional and efficient manner. We are constantly striving to upgrade our services in order to better serve you. This website is our most recent attempt to better serve the people of Rowan county. Here you will find contact information, important forms and documents, land and legal records, and much more. Feel free to contact us via phone or fax during business hours, or use our convenient contact form and someone will get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Kim Davis
Rowan County Clerk

On the Legal Records subpage you can download a form for:
APPLICATION FOR MARRIAGE/DIVORCE CERTIFICATE

Jesus was against divorce but her office provides for divorce certificates in her name. The job didn't suddenly change to include duties that are distasteful to Jesus, there were some that she was fully aware when she chose to go for the job, but she only began to mind when it concerned GAYS.

A recent post on the Facebook page Unvirtuous Abbey:

"For Pope Francis, who thought he was meeting Geena Davis, we pray to the Lord."

:)

HOWEVER when she accepted the job this was not the mandate and according to kentucky law it still isn't. Only federal law.
The issue is can the federal govt trump the states on this issue? I say no. I believe in states rights too.
I don't like the way she has handled this from the start but I do believe in her right to think as she likes.
I think that the problem is that KEntucky has to say it is what it is and then she has no choice.

BBM

The Equal Protection Clause and the Due Process Clause of the 14th Amendment declare that, yes, federal law trumps state law in matters of fundamental rights guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

Civil rights are not a state issue - they're a Constitutional issue. States don't have the legal authority to deny anyone their Constitutional rights.

DH and I went out to dinner last night (today's his birthday) and talked about the Pope's meeting with Kim Davis. We are both very disappointed because we enjoyed watching live event coverage of Francis' visit to the U.S. last week. It brought back memories of John Paul II's visit to metro-Detroit in September, 1987 when we were honored to receive tickets to Mass at the Silverdome (Pontiac). Pope Francis' decision to meet with Kim Davis dampened our positive impression of his recent visit to North America and causes us to lose respect for him.

Wow. I'm surprised. He is turning out to be a pretty complex figure. But it really has nothing to do with our Constitution or the laws of our country. Hoping for the endorsement of major religious figures is kind of the opposite of separation of church and state. The whole point is that the Pope has no say in whether we follow our Constitution. She can follow her conscience; what she is not allowed to do in this country is force others to follow her conscience when it impedes upon their civil rights as laid out in the Constitution and interpreted by the Supreme Court.
Bingo! I was just going to post something along those lines. He is a religious figurehead here. He does not hold the power in the U.S. that he does in the Vatican City.

Good for you however you should not have to until your job was reevaluated and the terms changed.
Everyone says what they would do, but would you walk away from a job that paid 80000 or would you fight and see if you could hold on to that employment?
It would be one thing if she was hired and that was the rule and she refused but she took the job with the job description based on the laws when she was hired.
I do believe she is making more of a stink than there needs to be but I think I may fight tooth and nail for my job if I was making a good living and someone changed the rules on me.

When Kim Davis was elected and sworn in, her oath didn't include a caveat that she would only uphold the laws that she agreed with, or that she would only support the parts of the U.S. Constitution that weren't objectionable to her personal beliefs.

Part of her oath of office includes section 228 of the Kentucky Constitution:

Members of the General Assembly and all officers, before they enter upon the execution of the duties of their respective offices, and all members of the bar, before they enter upon the practice of their profession, shall take the following oath or affirmation: I do solemnly swear (or affirm, as the case may be) that I will support the Constitution of the United States and the Constitution of this Commonwealth, and be faithful and true to the Commonwealth of Kentucky so long as I continue a citizen thereof, and that I will faithfully execute, to the best of my ability, the office of .... according to law; and I do further solemnly swear (or affirm) that since the adoption of the present Constitution, I, being a citizen of this State, have not fought a duel with deadly weapons within this State nor out of it, nor have I sent or accepted a challenge to fight a duel with deadly weapons, nor have I acted as second in carrying a challenge, nor aided or assisted any person thus offending, so help me God.

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/legresou/constitu/228.htm

No one changed the rules (the U.S Constitution) on her. The only thing that has changed is the interpretation and understanding of the rules (the U.S. Constitution). The interpretation and understanding has expanded to be more inclusive and to extend federal protection of fundamental rights and liberty to those seeking marriage equality - which is a good thing.

She vowed to support the U.S. Constitution, which includes supporting the civil rights of those whom the law protects.

If she's incapable of upholding her oath of office due to her conscience, she needs to do one or more of the following:

1. Set her personal beliefs aside during the course of her work-related duties

2. Adopt more enlightened beliefs in order to eliminate cognitive dissonance

3. Recognize and accept that religious liberty doesn't give her the legal authority to infringe upon the civil rights of anyone

4. Resign

Funny how Kim Davis doesn't want the government all up in her religion, but thinks it's just fine to pervert the law with her religious beliefs.

It appears she is a fan of the separation of church and state only when the state decides to hold her to her legal obligations. Because she is being discriminated against. Child, please.

I despise this woman.

Funny how Kim Davis doesn't want the government all up in her religion, but thinks it's just fine to pervert the law with her religious beliefs.

It appears she is a fan of the separation of church and state only when the state decides to hold her to her legal obligations. Because she is being discriminated against. Child, please.

I despise this woman.

If the federal government was supporting her bigoted beliefs, she'd be all "Go Supreme Court! Go Obama! Go USA!"

As it is, she's trying to portray herself as a persecuted victim of religious discrimination, so much so that she's recently switched political parties.

Chick, GMAFB. As if any of the current so-called "leading" presidential candidates gives a flying fig about you or anyone else.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourteenth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution#cite_note-118

The last two clauses of the first section of the amendment disable a State from depriving not merely a citizen of the United States, but any person, whoever he may be, of life, liberty, or property without due process of law, or from denying to him the equal protection of the laws of the State. This abolishes all class legislation in the States and does away with the injustice of subjecting one caste of persons to a code not applicable to another. ... It will, if adopted by the States, forever disable every one of them from passing laws trenching upon those fundamental rights and privileges which pertain to citizens of the United States, and to all person who may happen to be within their jurisdiction. [emphasis added by the U.S. Supreme Court]

In addition:

Vindication of federal constitutional rights are limited to those situations where there is "state action" meaning action of government officials who are exercising their governmental power.[158] In Ex parte Virginia, 100 U.S. 339 (1880), the Supreme Court found that the prohibitions of the Fourteenth Amendment "have reference to actions of the political body denominated by a State, by whatever instruments or in whatever modes that action may be taken. A State acts by its legislative, its executive, or its judicial authorities. It can act in no other way. The constitutional provision, therefore, must mean that no agency of the State, or of the officers or agents by whom its powers are exerted, shall deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. Whoever, by virtue of public position under a State government, deprives another of property, life, or liberty, without due process of law, or denies or takes away the equal protection of the laws, violates the constitutional inhibition; and as he acts in the name and for the State, and is clothed with the State's power, his act is that of the State."[159]

If anybody wants to argue that Kim Davis has acted within the bounds of the law, let them refer to the above passages, where they will find themselves to be wholly wrong in her defense.

Oct 2 2015, 7:09 am ET

Vatican Denies Kim Davis' Meeting With Pope Francis Indicates Support

by Alastair Jamieson and Anne Thompson

Pope Francis' reported meeting with Kentucky clerk Kim Davis, who was jailed for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses, was just a greeting and doesn't indicate support for her position, the Vatican said Friday.

In a statement, Vatican spokesman Rev. Federico Lombardi distanced the pontiff from her case, saying Francis met with "several dozen" people at the Vatican's embassy on Sept. 24, just before leaving Washington for New York.

Davis spent five days in jail last month for her defiance of a Supreme Court ruling and has become a folk hero among some on the religious right. An attorney for her said Tuesday that Francis told her to "stay strong."

However, Lombardi said the Vatican wanted to "clarify" what happened in order to "contribute to an objective understanding of what transpired." ...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/v...eeting-pope-francis-indicates-support-n437356

Personal note: I don't go searching for news about Kim Davis but tend to read all headline articles on my Xfinity homepage (CNN and/or NBC are primary sources) ;)

I have no doubt the Pope is telling the truth. KD took a casual brief encounter and twisted it into support for her position. I really hate that she used the Pope in this manner.
:gaah:

“The pope did not enter into the details of the situation of Mrs. Davis, and his meeting with her should not be considered a form of support of her position in all of its particular and complex aspects,” the Rev. Federico Lombardi, the Vatican spokesman, said in a statement released on Friday morning.

“Pope Francis met with several dozen persons who had been invited by the Nunciature to greet him as he prepared to leave Washington for New York City,” Father Lombardi said in the statement, referring to the Vatican’s term for its embassy.

He added: “Such brief greetings occur on all papal visits and are due to the pope’s characteristic kindness and availability. The only real audience granted by the pope at the Nunciature was with one of his former students and his family.”

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/po...is’s-views-vatican-says/ar-AAf2gaI?li=BBgzzfc

Vatican official statement:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/packages/pdf/international/vatican-statement.pdf

The Pope did not enter into the details of the situation of Mrs. Davis and his meeting with her should not be considered a form of support of her position in all of its particular and complex aspects.

Oct 2 2015, 7:09 am ET

Vatican Denies Kim Davis' Meeting With Pope Francis Indicates Support

by Alastair Jamieson and Anne Thompson

Pope Francis' reported meeting with Kentucky clerk Kim Davis, who was jailed for refusing to issue same-sex marriage licenses, was just a greeting and doesn't indicate support for her position, the Vatican said Friday.

In a statement, Vatican spokesman Rev. Federico Lombardi distanced the pontiff from her case, saying Francis met with "several dozen" people at the Vatican's embassy on Sept. 24, just before leaving Washington for New York.

Davis spent five days in jail last month for her defiance of a Supreme Court ruling and has become a folk hero among some on the religious right. An attorney for her said Tuesday that Francis told her to "stay strong."

However, Lombardi said the Vatican wanted to "clarify" what happened in order to "contribute to an objective understanding of what transpired." ...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/v...eeting-pope-francis-indicates-support-n437356

Personal note: I don't go searching for news about Kim Davis but tend to read all headline articles on my Xfinity homepage (CNN and/or NBC are primary sources) ;)

"Such brief greetings occur on all papal visits and are due to the Pope's characteristic kindness and availability," it said. "The only real audience granted by the Pope at the Nunciature was with one of his former students and his family."

Yeah, meeting Kim was a huge deal and likely changed the two religious leaders forever.

/Sarcasm

I'm glad we finally have the truth about Kim Davis' alleged audience with Pope Francis. Liar, liar, (polyester) pants on fire ;)

DH and I went out to dinner last night (today's his birthday) and talked about the Pope's meeting with Kim Davis. We are both very disappointed because we enjoyed watching live event coverage of Francis' visit to the U.S. last week. It brought back memories of John Paul II's visit to metro-Detroit in September, 1987 when we were honored to receive tickets to Mass at the Silverdome (Pontiac). Pope Francis' decision to meet with Kim Davis dampened our positive impression of his recent visit to North America and causes us to lose respect for him.

acceptance, love. Kim Davis needs a lesson in this! See Lawyers are Spinners for her agenda.

ETA Seen Elton John 1st concert at Silverdome, no chairs for main floor, we had main floor tickets. Then Led Zeppelin. Hippie forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh he met with her. And he met with some gays as well, so that should even it out. jmo idk

The Vatican on Friday distanced Francis from Davis, saying his encounter with her was by no means an endorsement of her cause.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-10-02-13-43-14

The Vatican on Friday distanced Pope Francis from Kim Davis, the focal point in the gay marriage debate in the U.S., saying she was one of dozens of people the pope greeted as he left Washington and that their encounter "should not be considered a form of support of her position."

The Vatican is confirming that the only "audience" the pope had while he was in Washington was with a former student and his family: Yayo Grassi, an openly gay Argentine who visited Francis with his longtime partner and some friends.

See he's the pope for all.

Oh he met with her. And he met with some gays as well, so that should even it out. jmo idk

The Vatican on Friday distanced Francis from Davis, saying his encounter with her was by no means an endorsement of her cause.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-10-02-13-43-14

The Vatican on Friday distanced Pope Francis from Kim Davis, the focal point in the gay marriage debate in the U.S., saying she was one of dozens of people the pope greeted as he left Washington and that their encounter "should not be considered a form of support of her position."

The Vatican is confirming that the only "audience" the pope had while he was in Washington was with a former student and his family: Yayo Grassi, an openly gay Argentine who visited Francis with his longtime partner and some friends.

See he's the pope for all.

Exactly.

I don't remember stories of Jesus turning anyone away, although I know plenty of big time Christian religious leaders and members will refuse to talk to people they believe are icky.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NancyChancy
Back