Kyron Horman's stepmother is a profile in contradictions....

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently so! I will make sure to tell both of my kids to cross Portland, OR OFF of their lists for potential job markets for themselves. Thanks for the info! So, from what you are saying, even if their background check came back clear of things like, say....DUI/CHILD ENDANGERMENT they would still NOT be able to get a job as a teacher??? That's really interesting to me because it seems to be just the OPPOSITE in every other area in America. To quote George Clooney, in 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou', 'well ain't this just a GD geographical oddity?' Personally, I think that TH couldn't find a teaching job because...SHE DIDN'T WANT ONE!!!! It would cut into her Facebook time (and you know she HAD to take care of that CYBER farm, right), her sexting time, her hiring a hitman time, etc...:twocents: MOO...

I'm not sure if you're replying to me or not, especially as your comment doesn't seem to link up to prior comments, but let me make this clear: I have offered no data nor opinions about various job markets in the U.S. other than OK has experienced teacher layoffs and that job markets vary in different areas/towns.

this is all very interesting to me, because here in maryland, on the east coast, just the opposite is true. for all that might be affected, there is a SEVERE teacher shortage here. I know this because my own daughter is an elementary teacher and my son, the former Marine Corps Sargeant, is working towards that as well, and they have had no issue finding jobs in the education arena. :twocents: MOO...

It's certainly a regional thing. Here, it's slim pickings, if at all. My daughter was interested in teaching, but I gently encouraged her to look at other options.

14 postings for an area that size.

Pretty bad.

Yep! I have a friend who is a teacher and she did finally get something but it wasn't exactly what she was looking for. She took it because there wasn't much to choose from. Sometimes these jobs are posted but already filled internally. Policy says they have to post them and go through the interview motions even though they have a candidate in mind. My friend interviewed for her job sitting next to about 20 other people in the waiting room.

By the way...Intel is doing well though. Talk of a new plant being built. :dance:

Actually, I live in OK. I know the process. And I also know that many good teachers have been laid off. I also know that teaching jobs and tuturing jobs are not that easy to come by.

Here's a list of 299 teaching jobs, including college level, open across the entire state in OK right now:

http://www.teachers-teachers.com/oklahoma/viewOklahomaJobs.cfm

Note: TH had worked as a substitute in years past.

I actually wonder what her references were like from when she was a substitute...:innocent:

Highly doubt Kyron was blind, certainly his other parents would have noticed that.

The article says Terri taught him sign language to enhance his ability to communicate. I wouldn't have any more coffee over that one. moo

Yes, it's just to help preverbal children communicate--it's a really cool idea, IMHO:

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_language_in_infants_and_toddlers[/ame]

Apparently so! I will make sure to tell both of my kids to cross Portland, OR OFF of their lists for potential job markets for themselves. Thanks for the info! So, from what you are saying, even if their background check came back clear of things like, say....DUI/CHILD ENDANGERMENT they would still NOT be able to get a job as a teacher??? That's really interesting to me because it seems to be just the OPPOSITE in every other area in America. To quote George Clooney, in 'Oh Brother Where Art Thou', 'well ain't this just a GD geographical oddity?' Personally, I think that TH couldn't find a teaching job because...SHE DIDN'T WANT ONE!!!! It would cut into her Facebook time (and you know she HAD to take care of that CYBER farm, right), her sexting time, her hiring a hitman time, etc...:twocents: MOO...

I'm not sure why you seem so passionate about this, but I live in Portland and I can assure you that teaching positions are being cut here at every turn of the budget cycle. Not just the Portland district, but all the Oregon districts. You can do some snooping on oregonlive.com if you need evidence; a recent situation (that was resolved after a near revolution) was going to see Phys Ed completely cut. Oregon was skewered nationally in the Doonsebury cartoon series for the numbers of school days we were cutting.. and that goes back 6 years or so now.. this has been an ongoing crisis here, and teaching jobs are difficult/impossible to come by.

It may help you to know that there is no sales tax in Oregon. Our tax funding comes from personal income tax and property tax, making state income revenue extremely volatile.

Here's the deal. I wanted to be a nurse so I went to nursing school and got my degree. IF there was a chance I'd spend all of that money on a degree that I couldn't use due to the area I was living in and planning on staying in, I'd change my degree to something where I could get a job and not be dependent on anyone else. Of course, that's just me, though.
She's screwed herself in more ways than one, IMO.

I agree, which brings me back to my original point that if Terri was using the child support for it's intended purpose, then it can not be considered HER INCOME. It also doesn't change the fact that shewas providing zero percent towards the financial support of her own child, while the two Dads shouldered the responsibility that should have been partially hers. :twocents: MOO.

I've found this issue of what to label child support interesting--I wonder, what does the label matter? For tax purposes, one doesn't have to claim child support as income, but it is money coming into the household. Child support is not only for the child's material needs--it includes housing and the bills entailed. And, as repugnant as it might seem to some, it is at the parent's discretion how to use the child support. One parent might choose to save it for college, another might need it to survive (my examples are two extremes--there are many degrees between).

We don't know what Kaine and Terri's financial arrangements were--it seems that Kaine was in agreement with Terri not working the past 2 years, which would mean that he saw them as a family unit, not as Terri's son being an extra burden upon him to provide for...

I'm not sure why you seem so passionate about this, but I live in Portland and I can assure you that teaching positions are being cut here at every turn of the budget cycle. Not just the Portland district, but all the Oregon districts. You can do some snooping on oregonlive.com if you need evidence; a recent situation (that was resolved after a near revolution) was going to see Phys Ed completely cut. Oregon was skewered nationally in the Doonsebury cartoon series for the numbers of school days we were cutting.. and that goes back 6 years or so now.. this has been an ongoing crisis here, and teaching jobs are difficult/impossible to come by.

It may help you to know that there is no sales tax in Oregon. Our tax funding comes from personal income tax and property tax, making state income revenue extremely volatile.

All you have to do is goggle this and throughout the US, States are cutting teaching positions. Here in NH it has become a huge problem. We also have no sales tax or income tax.

I know teachers that have taught for 10 plus years and they are now on the list to subsitute because their position has been eliminated.

They ended up cutting music instead, for the most part. Pathetic.

We need a sales tax, but Oregonians are quite stubborn in resisting it.

an article said that Terri had just reinstated her teaching license in Feb.

I imagine that she submitted the paperwork at some point earlier as it takes awhile to have it go through the state.

If you look on the teaching website for the state of Oregon, you will see that if a person has a DUI, it violates their ethical teaching standards.

I cannot figure out what the penalty is, but it might be something like a three or 4 year suspension with having to prove that you have completed steps such as a treatment program and submitting to the "whiz quiz" as we call it here.

Someone on another portion of WS pointed me to the website and her name is not on any teacher suspension list. The person did say some kind of deals can be made and she perhaps made one of those.

In the state where I live, if you have a DUI, you cannot even enter a teaching program at the University. I have no idea what happens here if a teacher gets a DUI as I know of no one and have not heard of it through the grapevine. Not that it doesn't happen, but I just don't know.

With her treatment of the teacher's classroom where she subbed, I can guarantee you that her name would have gone through the grapevine with the teachers.

Where I live, if you have a sub that is unsuitable, you can tell your supervisor and s/he will inform HR. But those types of complaints, I feel, but don't know, would have to be more related to unsuitable performance with the children and parents.

Teachers are supposed to be team players,however, and a complaint such as that may be noted as well, for all I know.

In all of my years of teaching, I have never heard of a sub who rearranges the teacher's classroom and throws away some of her things. I would have heard that as we give "heads up" to other teachers so that their lives don't become miserable.

The good subs become known and are asked over and over again. They are also top of the list for hiring.

They ended up cutting music instead, for the most part. Pathetic.

We need a sales tax, but Oregonians are quite stubborn in resisting it.

And they've cut foreign language. And art. And they have cut about 1/2 of the recess time. All the fun parts of the school experience are gone. My kids' experience is nothing like mine was - it's all about teaching to the benchmarks to ensure federal funding now. Very sad.

I don't know if anyone has already addressed this, but I just noticed this from the article:

"Jxxx was camping with his dad when Kyron disappeared."

Wasn't there a whole discussion about that actually not having been the case? Terri's mother had told reporters that Jxxx was camping with his dad for the weekend, I believe, but then we heard that he was actually spending the week with Terri and Kaine. Perhaps the confusion was that he was camping during the week, and was coming to the Horman home for the weekend? Was the question ever resolved?

If you look on the teaching website for the state of Oregon, you will see that if a person has a DUI, it violates their ethical teaching standards.

I cannot figure out what the penalty is, but it might be something like a three or 4 year suspension with having to prove that you have completed steps such as a treatment program and submitting to the "whiz quiz" as we call it here.

Someone on another portion of WS pointed me to the website and her name is not on any teacher suspension list. The person did say some kind of deals can be made and she perhaps made one of those.

In the state where I live, if you have a DUI, you cannot even enter a teaching program at the University. I have no idea what happens here if a teacher gets a DUI as I know of no one and have not heard of it through the grapevine. Not that it doesn't happen, but I just don't know.

sbm re dui only

The *contradicitons* article says she pled guilty and took a diversion. Here, that means that after the successful completion of whatever your diversion requires, including no further charges for a certain period of time, the case is dismissed. So, technically, if she met those criteria, she doesn't have a DUI on her record. However, a background check will still show the charge, the plea and the diversion. I'm guessing that a diversion and dismissal is sufficient to satisfy the ethical obligations to teach since it's not the same as a conviction, and that would be why she has an active license. It also may explain why it took a while. Courts will let a first time offender do a diversion for exactly that reason. They don't want to take away someones livelihood for a first time offense.

She's lucky she doesn't live in AZ. First time offense and you go to jail....period. As they say here ... she's not too pretty for tent city :)

I don't know if anyone has already addressed this, but I just noticed this from the article:

Wasn't there a whole discussion about that actually not having been the case? Terri's mother had told reporters that Jxxx was camping with his dad for the weekend, I believe, but then we heard that he was actually spending the week with Terri and Kaine. Perhaps the confusion was that he was camping during the week, and was coming to the Horman home for the weekend? Was the question ever resolved?

I don't know if the camping question was ever resolved, but IIRC, there were reports that he arrived on Friday. There were also reports that he arrived on Saturday. So we just don't know, I don't think.

There was never a question for me. The first reports were that he was camping that Friday. Then it was reported he was at the Hormans on Saturday. That made sense. Simple. He came home because Kyron was missing.

It seemed to me that along the way people were trying to say he was there on Friday in order to point the finger at him. But nobody ever reported he was there Friday.

I don't know if the camping question was ever resolved, but IIRC, there were reports that he arrived on Friday. There were also reports that he arrived on Saturday. So we just don't know, I don't think.

I never saw a single report that he arrived Friday. I saw lots of rumors and speculation though.

I'm not quite sure where to post this request but this thread seems to be the most fitting....can someone point me in the direction of the video where TH gives the "thumbs up" sign please. I've never seen it and would like to view it. Thanks a bunch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez