LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's interesting that he is an auto body repair person. He could have really made himself a cruise mobile with all the right modifications for abductions.

I thought he was a mechanic for the state while in prison and then worked offshore? He was a auto body repair person?

There were at least two other young girls who went missing in the Lafayette area, before Mickey. Trying to find who they were and the dates they disappeared. Could there be a correlation with the time BSL was onshore? Seems I remember it was one girl per month and was waiting to see if anyone would be reported missing in June, but there were none. Anyone else remember this?

If anyone can pinpoint the location of the burned truck, that would be very helpful.

Gotta go do some work.... BBL

this is the article I was remembering..
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/pasa...cle_b6926ad2-fd67-543c-a416-c53ec5a8b88e.html

La Porte police responded to a vehicle fire shortly after 10 p.m. and found what appeared to be a pickup truck fully engulfed in flames. Firefighters arrived shortly after and extinguished the fire. However, the truck melted almost entirely, La Porte police spokesman Sgt. John Krueger said.
The officer at the scene could not make out the license plate number but identified the vehicle as a possibly white 2004 to 2008 GMC or Chevrolet extended cab pickup truck.
The vehicle was stripped of all of its contents, which could indicate that the truck was stolen before it was put on fire, Krueger said.
(BBM)

true, but i'm wondering if his main reason for getting rid of the truck was to hide blood, DNA type evidence for if his truck was ever searched. the fact that he bought the exact same truck was probably to pretend that it was the same truck and not have people he knew question him about his truck. i think he hoped that if anyone ever suspected him and searched his truck, they wouldn't need to "know" it was a new truck. so if they searched it, they wouldn't find anything. stupid, i know, but i think that's what he was thinking. same thing with the GPS. why burn your GPS if you are trying to pretend you are still driving the same truck

Didn't he report the old truck being stolen out of Montgomery, Co. in Texas? His location at WB could have been from cell pings.....not a GPS.

I'm wondering if someone gave him a ride no questions asked because he "did something bad" and needed to get rid of his truck if that would still make them an accomplice.

I cannot find the link now for the life of me, but I swear I read an article that was linked yesterday on WS that was written by the local news in Texas about the burning truck right after it happened (the article contained no mention of Mickey, it was written right after the truck fire was reported and I guess hadn't been put together with her disappearance yet). It said something like the owner was working (offshore maybe?) when it was burning and that he said the truck had been stolen before he went to work but it was unclear why he hadn't reported it stolen before it was burned. Made it sound all kinds of hinky. And like he was working in TX when it happened - so I am thinking he drove it to TX for work, set it on fire, got to work, then was all like "what? my truck was stolen a few days ago but ummm I never got around to reporting it stolen" when he was informed of the fire. I also remember someone posting on WS that Wood Group has a location in the area where the truck was found, so he could have been working there.

So I wonder if it was planning like "oh I'll drive it to Texas and burn it" - I think it was more like "eh, next week when I go to Texas for work I'll burn it & it will look like I was at work when it happened" or something.

And I bet GF came and got him in Texas. And I bet his cell phone pings can prett much follow him all over - including WB and wherever he put Mickey.

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/pasa...cle_b6926ad2-fd67-543c-a416-c53ec5a8b88e.html

La Porte police responded to a vehicle fire shortly after 10 p.m. and found what appeared to be a pickup truck fully engulfed in flames. Firefighters arrived shortly after and extinguished the fire. However, the truck melted almost entirely, La Porte police spokesman Sgt. John Krueger said.
The officer at the scene could not make out the license plate number but identified the vehicle as a possibly white 2004 to 2008 GMC or Chevrolet extended cab pickup truck.
The vehicle was stripped of all of its contents, which could indicate that the truck was stolen before it was put on fire, Krueger said.
(BBM)

La Porte is not in San Jacinto County.

i heard that too, I was wondering WHERE the dna came from....the bike, his truck?! If it was the bike, HUGE DEAL!!! If it was the truck, could be his g/f or family (which could also be a partner in crime, but harder to tell if it was someone close to him).

I was also thinking, if he did have someone bring him home from texas, it's not necessarily an accomplice....w/ him working offshore, I'm sure he could come up w/ some b.s. excuse to get his g/f, family, or friends to come get here (NOW they might realize, but at the time they could of had no idea IMO).

Going on the assumption that he was supposed to be in Texas for some reason (work maybe?), really all he would have to do is get back from the burn site to the location where his truck was "stolen" from, call someone and ask if they could help him get home because his truck was stolen. It appears to me that he was never contacted by LE to notify him that they found his truck burned.

Catching up on people's theories:

I see renewed discussion of the white truck, and distorted stills from someone's big-screen TV.

1. Regarding whether Mickey is seen on top of the truck - no. All you have to do is look at the original photo (not cropped/enlarged), and it's clear that there is not a person on top of the truck.

2. What looks like something draped over the right-rear window looks to me like classic lens flare, combined with one of the jagged vertical breaks in the still that LE released. If you compare the pic of the DWT heading right, and the DWT heading left (both at Circle K), you can see the same area of white oversaturation on the rear window of the truck heading left. Looks to me like a light source that reflected off the rear part of the roof of the truck heading right... then was both distorted by the vertical break in the still - and then spilled over through the lens-flare effect, to look like something (a tarp, etc.) hanging down over part of the window.

If you want to see what I mean, look at the picture of Mickey coming toward the camera on Versailles, then look at what looks like a big white blob ahead of Mickey. I and others have compared this blob to night-time photos a WS poster took, and agree that it was created by the bright lights of the bus overhang to her right. Now look at how the light appears to spill around the front side of the 25-mph sign, even though it's not really doing that. This apparent spillage made it look almost like LE had whited something out in the photo. But the more I looked at it, it became apparent to me that it was a lens-flare effect, falsely adding a white smear to the front of the 25-mph sign that really wasn't there.

I believe that this same effect on the 25-m.p.h. sign created the optical illusion of something hanging over the right-rear window of the truck heading right (following Mickey), when it actually wasn't there. Lens flare can do weird stuff, and then when the picture is blown up and the contrast altered, it can look like something it isn't.

3. It seems that BL's m.o. would have been to take someone alive. Note that BL didn't kill his 1999 victim. It would have taken one heck of a high-speed hit to knock Mickey up onto the hood or roof. The fronts of those trucks are tall and vertical and higher than the bike and rider. I doubt that a bump that only bent the back bike rim would have thrown her up there - and I think that at that speed, the bike would have shown a lot more damage. And if he wanted to take her alive, then a hit required to actually knock her up that far would almost certainly have had to be high-speed enough to be fatal, and so why would he hit her that hard? Seems to me he would have wanted to hit her hard enough to knock her off the bike, but not hard enough to kill her outright.

As I said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion in regards to all matter including the photos. I can assure you that I have a perfect pic on my tv and there was no distortion. I think there is something in the photo's that speaks volume's and that is just the way I see it. And a few others do as well. It is too obvious to ignore. And I do not see this type of distortion on any of the other pics.

I do not see Mickey on the truck or anywhere in the pic but it does not take a lot of force to throw someone up onto the truck and it can cause little damage to the bike. I will post some pics to prove this theory.

Unless BSL has used this MO in the past he likely has no idea just how much force it takes to throw someone from a bike or what direction they would fall in. Not my personal theory but for all we know it could have been an abduction attempt that went horribly wrong when he hit her too hard.

There were at least two other young girls who went missing in the Lafayette area, before Mickey. Trying to find who they were and the dates they disappeared. Could there be a correlation with the time BSL was onshore? Seems I remember it was one girl per month and was waiting to see if anyone would be reported missing in June, but there were none. Anyone else remember this?

Here's one of the endangered runaways from Lafayette:
[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173737"]LA LA - Tanya Lynn Thibodeaux, 16, Lafayette; 21 April 2012 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

(BBM)

For the truck to have 'melted almost entirely' would an accelerant have to be used?

I cannot find the link now for the life of me, but I swear I read an article that was linked yesterday on WS that was written by the local news in Texas about the burning truck right after it happened (the article contained no mention of Mickey, it was written right after the truck fire was reported and I guess hadn't been put together with her disappearance yet). It said something like the owner was working (offshore maybe?) when it was burning and that he said the truck had been stolen before he went to work but it was unclear why he hadn't reported it stolen before it was burned. Made it sound all kinds of hinky. And like he was working in TX when it happened - so I am thinking he drove it to TX for work, set it on fire, got to work, then was all like "what? my truck was stolen a few days ago but ummm I never got around to reporting it stolen" when he was informed of the fire. I also remember someone posting on WS that Wood Group has a location in the area where the truck was found, so he could have been working there.

So I wonder if it was planning like "oh I'll drive it to Texas and burn it" - I think it was more like "eh, next week when I go to Texas for work I'll burn it & it will look like I was at work when it happened" or something.

And I bet GF came and got him in Texas. And I bet his cell phone pings can prett much follow him all over - including WB and wherever he put Mickey.

Someone called it into the tipline but it wasn't burning... I forgot about that.

I'm going off on a tangent, but
I have come to the conclusion that about 50% of our military/post military workers have mental illness/criminal histories. That being said the government should invest more time into psychological treatment/evaluation for all military personnel, and that are joining and leaving. I'm grateful for all the men an women who serve our country, don't get me wrong, I'm just seeing a continuous pattern here. Im the daughter of a retired 30+ military man, and many other people in my family serve in the military as well. My sister in fact served 2 tours in Iraq. I'm not trying to have a pity party or anything but growing up I was physical and mentally abused by my father. My sister has post traumatic stress from serving in Iraq as well. But what I'm trying to get at is, what I have noticed is that I'm seeing this certain pattern here in our men and women who are serving our country. And this does go in hand with BSL, just saying that maybe the government should really look into more pyschologicial treatment/ and therapies. JMO

How long was BSL in the military? Did he ever see combat? Makes me really uncomfortable to claim 50% of the military have mental health issues or are criminals!

Actually I think he just called someone and said hey I need a ride!
Short and sweet!

And here's an endangered runaway from Acadia Parish, who went missing 4/27/12:
http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...en_US&orgPrefix=NCMC&caseNum=1194227&seqNum=1

After he reported his truck stolen in Texas he probably called his girlfriend to come get him. All she knew was the truck was stolen. He could have met her somewhere after he burned the truck. She Never reported suspicions. it was her parents. IMO

I read that same thing that the owner was working there, and i read it here yesterday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoyasalas