LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that she wouldn't get in his truck...was responding to the possibility as to whether it would still be "aggravated kidnapping" if she had. But I think he hit her on purpose and then grabbed her before she could get up, even if she was able. I don't think he would even have needed a gun.

I just think a gun would explain why it was so clean. If someone knocked you off your bike then came up with a gun and said in that tone cops often use get in the truck or I'll blow your head off most people would quietly obey because you wouldn't have a chance to think but you could be right.

Believe me, sausage as a gift is not all that unusual in South Louisiana.

I agree, my husband brought me a stuffed chicken (with crawfish) one day as a gift.better than jewelry IMO.

BSL's neighbor said that BSL brought him sausage to show his appreciation after the fire at his parents' home. I thought that was an unusual gift, but this would explain it.

It's not unusual at all around here. I've brought people cakes, bread puddings, cream cheese bars, crawfish etouffee, tasso, venison backstrap, frozen homemade venison sausage and other food items as thank-you gifts. The culture down here has a rich food heritage coupled with a "share-share" attitude. Food gifts are often more appreciated, and considered more thoughtful, than any old Hallmark card. That's as true today in the digital age as it was 30 years ago. A card says, "thanks". A food gift (especially of a pricy or tediously-made food) basically screams, "I love ya, Cher! Mais, thanks!"

I went to HS in Carencro and my dad would always call it "Buzzardtown". Makes sense now!!!

OT

My father would always cackle when I said, "Verot School Road". One day I asked him why, and he replied with a smile, "Verot (he pronounced it vay-RHOT) means 'vermin' in French. So the name translates into a 'school full of vermin'."

I think it's very ironic that the stuffed bear in Carencro High's lobby has a stuffed crow on its foot. It really should be a buzzard.

Yes, those are picture of him on his mom's FB (the October 10, 2010 album, for example).

I think you may be looking at the other BSL that lives in Lafayette (different person), unless you bookmarked it like I failed to. I can no longer find his account linked off of his mom's account. The one I am talking about had his last name misspelled (g) missing and was friends with his mom's account. Is that what you are looking at?

Correct spelling. Church Point Louisiana. No family in the friends list.

would that arsonists initials be AC?

Yes. And I"m not saying that wasn't his FB. But that when I looked at it yesterday, nothing in it said authentic to me. If I'd have thought it was authentic, I'd have screencapped it.
But again, my guess is as good as any of y'alls.

I saw BSL's FB yesterday...he had several of his family members on his friends list. Today, he's not showing up on any of their friends' list. And when you type in the name, without the "g" the way he had it spelled, he doesn't come up. Either all his family unfriended him b/t 1am and now, or LE or whoever deactivated him. I'm thinking he was deactivated.

Mickey had mace. I don't think someone who took the time to turn on her mace would then hop in a strangers truck. He probably got out and stuck a gun in her face. Would explain why no one heard anything.

I just think a gun would explain why it was so clean. If someone knocked you off your bike then came up with a gun and said in that tone cops often use get in the truck or I'll blow your head off most people would quietly obey because you wouldn't have a chance to think but you could be right.

BSL is ex-military. If you know the training that's done in basic, then you know that he has the ability to neutralize persons without the use of a weapon. If he hit the bicycle (as evidenced by Chief Craft), then it would be a small matter for him to jump out and either muscle her limp form (limp from the collision, her hitting her head on an object or from a fist, I leave to one's imagination) into the vehicle, or to grab her in a headlock, arm lock or other military maneuver and bring her conscious form into the vehicle in that way.

A gun in the hand of a convicted sex offender is a no-no, if I'm not mistaken. This guy had the training and the ability to be intimidating without using any weapon beside his trained body, and as evidenced by his stop on the day he was arrested (no mention of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon), he probably did not make it a habit to carry a firearm with him.

Mace is only as useful as the wind drift in any situation. If I aim a mace spray at someone, but the wind is blowing at me, I'm going to probably get a face full of the stuff before my attacker is. That week in May when she was taken was windy, according to the NOAA records for the airport, and the disbursement of the mace could have been a factor if she were conscious and able to use it.

It's not unusual at all around here. I've brought people cakes, bread puddings, cream cheese bars, crawfish etouffee, tasso, venison backstrap, frozen homemade venison sausage and other food items as thank-you gifts. The culture down here has a rich food heritage coupled with a "share-share" attitude. Food gifts are often more appreciated, and considered more thoughtful, than any old Hallmark card. That's as true today in the digital age as it was 30 years ago. A card says, "thanks". A food gift (especially of a pricy or tediously-made food) basically screams, "I love ya, Cher! Mais, thanks!"
<snip>

Around here (gulf coast of TX), it's usually home-baked goods, home grown veggies, or fish/seafood. Sausage wouldn't be the 1st thing that would come to mind as a food gift, but if I ever need a gift for a Cajun, I know what to get now! ;)

Correct spelling. Church Point Louisiana. No family in the friends list.

I looked at one linked off his brothers site. Name spelled Laverne. There was a photo of a piece of machinery as his profile pic. Of course this was day before yesterday I think and has since been removed.

I had seen that a poster said BSL's father died in 2009. Best I know, that is not true, as the Daily World (Opelousas, LA newspaper) states differently (but who knows if that's an error in their fact-checking or something):

http://www.dailyworld.com/article/2...bled-past-?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Frontpage

"Many people in the Church Point community know Lavergne’s father, who is supposedly very ill, Meche said. She described him as a nice man.
Meche didn’t know much about Lavergne’s mother, but she said he has a brother who has moved out of the state."

I feel terrible for his mother & other family members...to be dealing with a very ill relative and the actions of this monster in your family at the same time. My thoughts are with his mother as well as the Shunicks.

yeah. especially after dealing with her house burnt down twice! does any1 know if the familywas in the house(s) when he allegedly set them on fire?

I saw BSL's FB yesterday...he had several of his family members on his friends list. Today, he's not showing up on any of their friends' list. And when you type in the name, without the "g" the way he had it spelled, he doesn't come up. Either all his family unfriended him b/t 1am and now, or LE or whoever deactivated him. I'm thinking he was deactivated.

I had it bookmarked and when I click on it now, it comes up "page not found".

I looked at one linked off his brothers site. Name spelled Laverne. There was a photo of a piece of machinery as his profile pic. Of course this was day before yesterday I think and has since been removed.

Yeah, the misspelled one is the one on which there was the previously accepted family member that lived in Spring, TX with the Deep Woods Trail property.

Does anyone think that Tim Miller and Texas Equusearch will resume the search for Mickey since there are new leads in the case??

If not, then do ya'll think that LE may be onto something on their own? Remember this?

http://www.katc.com/news/equusearch-suspends-search-efforts/

I've been thinking this, too, Billiam. Surely BSL's arrest has led them to new search areas- anywhere around his house and anywhere near the burned out truck's location being the obvious ones. And I'm sure BSL's phone pings (as well as GPS if his truck had it) could help point to other areas, but the obvious ones could be searched by TES and other groups with cadaver dogs, etc. in the meantime.

Strange to me we haven't heard of any searches from locals or searches being organized aside from the ones at BSL's house/property Thursday & Friday.

Or maybe a taser or stun gun? That's how Philip Garrido got Jaycee Duggard into his car when he took her, and she was a child.

how close is San Jacinto county to the Killing Fields in Texas where Tim Miller's daughter was found? i don't think he would have driven to Texas with a body in tow, but if he did, since he "copied" DTL with WB for the bike, maybe he copied the I-45 killer with the Killing Fields?? a stretch, i know, but is San Jacinto anywhere near? I'm not very familiar with the I-45 murders

I am now seeing I have mutual friends with his mother, one of whom is just a couple years younger than BSL so I bet she knows him too. Might just have to ask!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3