LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #34

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Date of loss stated on the claim filed was 5/31. We have what's called a 48 hr theft waiver policy with his particular carrier. It's basically a service we offer where we waive the first 48 hours of rental from the day the car was stolen (not the day you decide to rent the car). He got in the car on 5/31 and charges were started on 6/2 ( calendar day billing ).

Unless he lied ( possible ), he says the truck was stolen on 5/31.

Does the record show if he was picked up by the company before renting? If so, does it say where?
If not, does the Spring, Tx rental company have survellience video of that day still or at all, to see if someone else drove him there, like a friend or cab?

Does anyone happen to know what year he was at Fort Polk? Fort Polk for those who want to search is in Leesville, Louisiana and there have been some unsolved murders of a few pretty girls in that area. Just wondered what years he may have been there. Does anyone know if he was in the army at Fort Polk for 4 years?

Well, maybe it depends on the word "participation". Apparently you think it was 100% his planning, participation and cover of the crime and I think he had assistance. I can agree to disagree. Anyone else think he had help ..or do you think he worked 100% alone? Interesting question.

Honestly I am becoming a fence sitter in this case. I don't think we can rule out ANYTHING until it is ruled out by fact. My gut instinct tells me that anything is possible in this case. As for having an accomplice, that is quiet possible as is it impossible. He seemed to have "charm" and be that of a manipulative character so who's to say he did have an accomplice without them actually relizeing. This is just my opinion.

I also believe there was someone else involved - but not until the time he was in TX burning the truck, etc. This involvement could have been as simple as letting him crash at their place or providing transportation. OR it could have been something more, like actually helping him burn the truck! I have no educated guess there.

ETA: In my opinion, the timing would be TOO perfect for him to happen to be needed for work in Texas at that time.

Does anyone happen to know what year he was at Fort Polk? Fort Polk for those who want to search is in Leesville, Louisiana and there have been some unsolved murders of a few pretty girls in that area. Just wondered what years he may have been there. Does anyone know if he was in the army at Fort Polk for 4 years?

1999 not sure other years. This is where his original charge took place

I do not believe he had any accomplices and also do not think he was very smart about anything at all.

What is clever about not thinking about video cameras when he decides to kidnap a woman on a city street? Or burning his truck, reporting it stolen and allegedly renting a car in his own name in the same place the truck was found? Or trying to buy a new one with an altered license? These are all of things that led to him being caught. I am not understanding where his cleverness is coming into it, if he has any. If anything, he was "smart" enough to know he couldn't leave a live victim to testify against him this time.

ETA: I wouldn't refer to anyone who helped him without knowing, i.e. let him sleep over, as an "accomplice" That would make families accomplices all the time.

FWIW, NG was not very useful, as far as I am concerned. She had on Mickey's dad, so she kind of focused on Mickey being alive, which is understandable but not realistic. She also had bad info on how LE found out about the burned truck, and she seemed not to understand the part about the whited-out license at all.

Also, it is painfully clear that Mickey's family knows very little more, if anything, than we do and possibly less. If the rental car is a fact, he does not know about it, as he is counting on the person who drove the suspect back possibly knowing where Mickey is. LE is clearly holding back info from them, as well as from the public and I am sure with good reason.

I just listened to the interview. I don't understand why LE wouldn't share all the evidence they have at this point with the Shunick family. I totally get why they won't tell the public, but why not the family, so they can at least know for certain whether or not Mickey's alive or dead? Is this normal procedure?

It dawns me on at this point three things:
1. This guy spent time at Central Louisiana State Hospital. For those who are not familiar with this hospital, it houses severely criminally insane folks. I personally visited their forensics unit. which housed at the time probably 20 adult men. I was told by the nurse in charge as I walked throuh the door: Do not lay your keys down. Charles will eat them. While I was visiting one patient put his fist through the door window because another patient had peaked through it and it set the patient off. Hannibal HAS NOTHING on these guys.
2. Someone was paying for all those appeals (4 to 5) when BSL was in prison. Lawyers are not cheap.
3. I first thought that BSL had a female accomplice, and I still believe that. However at this point I believe it is very possible he had a male accomplice also. Someone was funding this behavior and someone else was doing some thinking for him. I say that because there is two different lines of thinking going on here. The first line is whiting out the SO on your driver's license. Not so bright. However, the second line of thinking -- going out of state to buy a truck that was a silverado and not a Z71 so that your friends would think you always drove a Silverado and that was NOT your truck in the video -- now -- that kind of thinking is a different thought process. It is coming from a different mindset. I am sure there is some different contributions here -- I am just not sure where they are coming from. The reason I say this is because the kind of guy who spends time at that particular hospital is the kind of guy who would bump a girl off her bike and kill her, but he is not smart enough to cover his tracks this well by himself.

I also think it is important to find the dates that those houses burned and match them up with the dates someone in that area went missing and was never found. I think he burns to get rid of evidence.

STILL catching up. when did he spend time in that hospital and why?
also, FWIW, an atty just told me that criminals can appeal things themselves. they study up on their own while in jail and dream up appeals, so funding isn't always necessary. they are capable of becoming their own "experts" in their case

I just listened to the interview. I don't understand why LE wouldn't share all the evidence they have at this point with the Shunick family. I totally get why they won't tell the public, but why not the family, so they can at least know for certain whether or not Mickey's alive or dead? Is this normal procedure?

I think it is normal procedure...seems to be the same in Sierra's case as far as we can tell. They will fill the family in once they have to tell his attorneys their case, as they will have to convince the family that Mickie is deceased in order to help the case at trial.

I think they just have to be careful before the time comes when they have to give more details; not sure if that will happen at the arraignment.

I remember in Carrie Culbertson's case (she was never found) it took LE a long time to convince her mother that she had to testify that her daughter was dead if she wanted a conviction. So they did share everything they had by that point, but probably not sooner. And she did testify and her ex-boyfriend was convicted.

BBM
I wondered the same thing. However, according to Megsy's terrific timeline:

1. He ditched the truck somewhere in San Jacinto Co. on or around May 26.
2. On May 26, he reports the truck stolen in Montgomery Co. (about 35 miles away from where he ditched the truck)
3. On May 31, at 9:51 am, he rents a car in Spring, Tx, which is in Harris Co.
(about 20 miles from where he filed the police report, and over 50 miles away from where he ditched the truck)
4. The burned truck was discovered on May 31. We don't know the time of day, or if it was actually burning at the time of discovery.

There was time for him to set fire to the truck after he rented the car. However, he had already reported it stolen 5 days before it was found, and he was on the move and very busy for those 5 days.
IMO

ETA: according to the press conference, LE believes he set it on fire the same day he reported it stolen.

so what did he do between the 26th and 31st if his truck was burned and he had not yet rented a car? this is the FIRST time i think he may have visited a friend

I would suggest the cemetary in Richard, just outside of Church Point, too. It's "famous" because of the Little Cajun Saint, Charlene, is buried there. WB is "famous" for more nefarious reasons. Regardless, it is rural and may be the closest cemetary that is really secluded. Thoughts?

I was thinking about this but I don't think there's any grassy areas in that cemetery left for him to dig up and I think all/most of the graves are above ground & there's a lot of cement/walkways. It may be secluded, but in the daytime, there's almost always at least on person at Charlene's grave sitting, reading, etc. But I think it's a place to keep in mind.

I beg to differ. I'd say, in our culture it has become the norm to mind other people's business! LOOK at everyone here, FB stalking and getting the scoop on everything they can get their hands on. This whole cajunnet thing we are talking about....a prime example of people not minding their own business.

If "running man" had seen something, and was running in to tell, anyone else in the store would have heard his story and they would have each told at least 5 people and those people would have at least told 5 more people. It would have been all over town the very next day.

IMO anyone who is a direct witness as to the accident or kidnapping probably has a GAG order on them as this would be critical to the prosecution. I do know that at least one was issued because the individual posted it on another site so I really don't doubt that there were more. Furthermore I am a CAJUN but if I was issued a GAG order there would be nothing leaving my lips especially if it could ruin a conviction. I want to see justice for Mickey! Still praying for her to come home.

I am not sure he had an actual accomplice. To me, that means someone who participated in or helped cover up the murder knowingly. I do think he probably had a coworker or friend who helped him and was unaware he had just committed murder.

STILL catching up. when did he spend time in that hospital and why?
also, FWIW, an atty just told me that criminals can appeal things themselves. they study up on their own while in jail and dream up appeals, so funding isn't always necessary. they are capable of becoming their own "experts" in their case

Anyone can represent themselves on any type of case - civil or criminal and isn't just limited to the appeals process. This is referred to as a pro-se litigant. The only money required would be for the filing fees as required by the jurisdiction in which the motions are being filed.

In the first few days all you needed to do to voulunteer was sign your name on a paper, then get an area to search. Later in the week when Equusearch came and they had moved to the Cajun Dome you had a full page form you had to fill out as well as show your DL. I know from a friend there was at least one guy that left when asked for his DL. I wasn't there so couldn't say what he looked like.

i know it has happened in the past, but WHY would or does a perp go to the searches???

personally, i don't think BSL did. i think he seemed the type to want to be done with it. i don;t think he wanted to dwell on the murder, JMO

OT - Well sort of. Do they NOT screen callers on Nancy Grace before they let them on the air? Wow. Just wow. I do love how NG called him a freak. It was the way she said it that cracked me up. There was so much seething in her voice.

Hey just remember someone responded to bite on his hand earlier and said it was because he had surgery. So if this is true he had surgery between mickeys disappearance and his arrest, also have we thought of medical records for the scar on his neck etc?

Date of loss stated on the claim filed was 5/31. We have what's called a 48 hr theft waiver policy with his particular carrier. It's basically a service we offer where we waive the first 48 hours of rental from the day the car was stolen (not the day you decide to rent the car). He got in the car on 5/31 and charges were started on 6/2 ( calendar day billing ).

Unless he lied ( possible ), he says the truck was stolen on 5/31.
First I'd like to say thank you for shedding light on all of this. I'm curious about the 48 hour waver. What documentation, if any, goes along with the claim? Does the insurance company provide a copy of the police report? In other words, what does the rental agency use to verify the date of the theft?

IMO anyone who is a direct witness as to the accident or kidnapping probably has a GAG order on them as this would be critical to the prosecution. I do know that at least one was issued because the individual posted it on another site so I really don't doubt that there were more. Furthermore I am a CAJUN but if I was issued a GAG order there would be nothing leaving my lips especially if it could ruin a conviction. I want to see justice for Mickey! Still praying for her to come home.

They couldn't have issued a gag order until after seeing the video and ID'ing running man. I'm saying if running man had seen something to talk about, he'd have been talking about the very next day...long before the video was released.

from http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/

Lavergne's truck found burned in Texas

(snipped)...San Jacinto is approximately an hour's drive north from Houston. Lavergne's truck was found burned only days after Lafayette police released photographs of the truck as a vehicle of interest. But it wasn't until June 14th, when an unknown caller phoned the tip line, relaying the information about the burned truck in Texas. The truck was Lavergne's, and he actually called deputies in Montgomery County Texas to report it missing the same day it was found (May 31st).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toomanywomenmissinginbc