LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont forget he also filed paperwork at a courthouse ,I am unsure which one however.
He was running arround crazy busy on that day. We should do a map.

Do we know which courthouse? That's something that's been bugging me. He was apparently in Texas on May 31, getting that rental car. Was it a courthouse in TX? Or one in LA as this was where he was currently residing?

I don't believe he had any help in burning the truck, or in any part of his crimes. I think he is a lone ranger.

Mr. Shunick is counting on him having had help as he said that would give hope that someone else knows where Mickey is.

This guy may have used some people afterward who "helped" him unknowingly, but I don't think anyone helped him destroy evidence, etc...LE doesn't appear to think so, either. I hope I am wrong, as if two are involved, always a better chance one will talk.

Yes cluciano63, I understand the Schunick family holding out hope, as does Marc Klaas, and the many other members of the involuntary fraternity of the missing/murdered.
Mr Schunick asked the $60,000.00 question, 'how did BSL get to the car rental company'? Unless the rental company picked him up. The only possible scenarios that I can come up with requires the help of others.

I don't believe he had any help in burning the truck, or in any part of his crimes. I think he is a lone ranger.

Mr. Shunick is counting on him having had help as he said that would give hope that someone else knows where Mickey is.

This guy may have used some people afterward who "helped" him unknowingly, but I don't think anyone helped him destroy evidence, etc...LE doesn't appear to think so, either. I hope I am wrong, as if two are involved, always a better chance one will talk.

Agree. It's the only shred of hope the Family has left. Somebody else is involved and holding her somewhere. Heartbreaking.

http://www.justice.gov/usao/law/faq/usao_wdla_faq.pdf

this legal LA faq link also says that most felonies are charged by indictment

eta: it further states that arraignment will happen after indictment (where he can enter a plea)

and another eta: says that law states the defendant must have trial within 70 days of indictment unless there are motions to be heard, etc
I must be brain dead because I though he has already been charged with the crimes?

I must be brain dead because I though he has already been charged with the crimes?

it was most likely just the "complaint"

Charges are filed: A defendant is charged either by complaint, indictment or information. A complaint is an initial charging document signed by the Magistrate Judge that describes the charges against a defendant. A person can be arrested and charged by complaint before a grand jury has found probable cause to return an indictment, but a person charged by complaint then has the right to be indicted by a grand jury. An indictment is similar to a complaint in that it describes the charges against a defendant, but it is returned by the grand jury.
http://www.justice.gov/usao/law/faq/usao_wdla_faq.pdf

Yes cluciano63, I understand the Schunick family holding out hope, as does Marc Klaas, and the many other members of the involuntary fraternity of the missing/murdered.
Mr Schunick asked the $60,000.00 question, 'how did BSL get to the car rental company'? Unless the rental company picked him up. The only possible scenarios that I can come up with requires the help of others.

Very possible, but they apparently won't go way out of their way to do so. Makes me wonder, if he used this feature, if there are known associates that he could have stayed with near the rental company?

Many car rental companies offer a free local pick up service; usually within a 5 mile radius of the location or within a 15 minute drive of the car rental location.

http://www.best-car-rental-tips.com/car-rental-pick-up-service.html

So I am thinking it would depend on what state you are being charged in if your case goes to the Grand Jury. If you are indicted you can't deal with da w/sentencing. (no plea bargaining )

In CA where the guy is being charged (as of right now we know of no grand jury hearing) he can plea bargain.

Thanks

You are correct that the use and purpose of the GJ varies from state to state. In some states a GJ indictment is required to prosecute a defendant (for all or certain crimes); in other states, a defendant can elect to have a GJ return an indictment before proceeding to trial; in others, GJs are largely investigative tools that prosecutors can elect to use to elicit/force sworn testimony in advance of bringing official charges; while, in still others, there are no GJs at all. However, it is certainly not typically the case that if you are indicted by a GJ you can't plea bargain with the prosecutor; in fact, I know of know state (off-hand, at least) where that's the case.

So since he's been out in 2008- he burned his trailer down, then burned his dad's house dowen, then burned his truck? All since 2008? Is that what I undertstood? Wow

Seriously, man. You people need to stop with the unchecked speculation. There is no evidence that states BSL burned down his trailer or his dad's house.

His dad's house fire could just as easily have been a "concerned citizen" that didn't want a sex offender living in the area. It happens, just like drug houses mysteriously catch fire.

Do we know which courthouse? That's something that's been bugging me. He was apparently in Texas on May 31, getting that rental car. Was it a courthouse in TX? Or one in LA as this was where he was currently residing?

The report was said to have been filed in Montgomery County. The courthouse for Montgomery County is in Conroe. The report was likely filed at the sheriff's office, not over the phone as someone speculated. Sheriff's offices are usually in buildings adjacent to, or near the courthouse.

The map that was posted earlier today shows the cities/areas where he is thought to have been while in Texas.

http://www.lawinfo.com/fuseaction/client.lawarea/categoryid/143Criminal Charges - Complaint or Information

A complaint is a formal list of criminal charges that the prosecuting attorney may file the before making the arrest or afterwards. An "information" is the formal, written accusation that the prosecutor files, which includes the list of charges. Misdemeanor cases and some felony cases can proceed by the issuance the complaint or information by the prosecutor. However, in some jurisdictions and in federal cases, grand jury indictments may be required in felony cases. If the defendant wasn’t already arrested at the scene of the crime, he or she is either arrested or issued a summons or notice to appear in municipal or Superior Court once the complaint or information is filed.

Grand Jury Indictment

The Fifth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution requires that charges for all capital and "infamous" crimes be brought by an indictment returned by a grand jury. The amendment has been interpreted to require that an indictment be used to charge federal felonies, unless a defendant waives his or her right to be indicted by a grand jury. The Supreme Court has held that this part of the Fifth Amendment is not binding on the states, so they can use grand juries or not, as they wish. As a result, each state has its own set of grand jury procedures. Some follow federal practices, but others make use of the indictment optional, and allow the prosecutor to file a complaint or information to formally charge the defendant with the crime.

The report was said to have been filed in Montgomery County. The courthouse for Montgomery County is in Conroe. The report was likely filed at the sheriff's office, not over the phone as someone speculated. Sheriff's offices are usually in buildings adjacent to, or near the courthouse.

The map that was posted earlier today shows the cities/areas where he is thought to have been while in Texas.

Much thanks; I must have missed the report; been pretty busy the last few days.

"Now that his name [Lavergne] has been released, we're receiving a lot more tips more specific to his whereabouts before and after the incident, information on and about him. Tips are coming in that are very encouraging as far as locating Mickey." LPD spokesman Cpl. Paul Mouton

Abdella has received dozens of new tips since police announced Lavergne's arrest...

http://www.theadvertiser.com/articl...ews|text|FRONTPAGE&nclick_check=1&sf5019096=1

I had always thought Mickey was taken by two or more thugs riding around at night...
While of course possible it was just a lone cretin driving around, typically two or more drive around late at night taking, killing time, looking for whatever....
Perhaps I biased this way because I followed Dana Ireland's case.
http://karisable.com/crdanai.htm

So since he's been out in 2008- he burned his trailer down, then burned his dad's house dowen, then burned his truck? All since 2008? Is that what I undertstood? Wow

I'm not 100% sure about any of it but it seems like this would have been the only time, besides his high school years that he could have done this.
Also, I'm pretty sure I read that he and his dad may have lived together at one point so maybe that's why his dad's place and his are both listed even though it may have only been one residence. As I said, I'm not sure.

TEARS reading this article

a big ball of sunshine
http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20120708/NEWS01/207080340

it confirms that she wanted to finish school at UNO in NOLA just to try out a different city. my guess is that she was ready for a different crowd. she knew everyone in laffy and wanted to try out NOLA. i think that a platonic roomy is perfect for NOLA. so sad that she didn't get this chance. i picture her exploring Magazine street and hanging out there trying out the different restaurants and having stimulating convos with all the different types of people and artists that you'll run into on Magazine. i picture Charlie visiting her to go shopping at the boutiques there since Charlie is into fashion. BSL robbed her of this chance and it is so tragic.

Agree. It's the only shred of hope the Family has left. Somebody else is involved and holding her somewhere. Heartbreaking.

Not even holding her somewhere...but just someone else to know where he put her body...I think that is part of their hope, even if they cannot say it. If only he knows...:(

I found this link very informative on this... here is a snip:much more at link
http://thomasvalonzo.com/blog/2011/08/how-criminal-charges-are-filed-in-louisiana/

As I interpret this, BSL has 8 days (grand jury convening on July 18th) to do a little singing from the hoosegow if he has any hope whatsoever of getting the charges reduced and thereby avoiding capital punishment.

From the above-noted link:
A grand jury indictment means that you will go to trial on that particular charge — you will not be able to have a charge reduced or dismissed by a pre trial motion.

Also: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Louisiana"]Capital punishment in Louisiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx