LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette 19 May 2012 - #34

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The one you're looking at...is place of employment Walmart? If so, that's not BSL. BSL misspelled his last name on his.

i wonder if that was maybe his way of trying to get around the new "no sex offenders on facebook " law, or has that not passed or not gone into effect yet?

I've been thinking a lot about this since last night when hubby & were watching "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" last night. The serial killer character in it said some lines that really had me thinking (and yes, of course, this is a fictional character):
"Why don't people trust their instincts? They sense something is wrong, someone is walking too close behind them. You knew something was wrong, but you came back into the house..... It's hard to believe that fear of a offending me is stronger than the fear of pain, but you know what? It is. And they always come willingly..."

I am not so sure a Mickey who had been knocked off her bike, perhpas injured with a bike that could not be riden, wouldn't take a ride from a nice, clean cut youngish man in a nice, new truck. It's not like it was a van with blacked out windows. Her bike will even fit in the back of the truck with no problem. And I don't think BSL looks like a murderer or rapist in all his pics - in some of them I hate to say, he looks above average in the looks department. And he was probably very charming. And Mickey is 21. She doesn't have the life experience yet that many of us do. Maybe she had not taken rides from strangers previously, but after being hit by an overly-apologetic, charming, clean-cut man not driving a "scary" car, maybe she takes him up on the ride.

Word on the Cajunnet was for a while that there are other videos of either Mickey and/or BSL (and this was confirmed by Chief Craft at the presser), so maybe they do have her willingly getting in his car. Maybe they have her on film, then his car...next camera, she's not on film, but his car is with her bike in the back.

I don't think we can completely discount that she got in the truck willingly or that she didn't (was tased, forced a gun/knife point, etc). But I think sometimes in order to be polite (for example to someone who is so sorry and feels so bad for hitting our bikes- the girl in NC recently where this happened with another perp and she got away is an example; I know a friend from undergrad who is now a medical doctor who took a ride home from the man who hit her by campus- he didn't hurt her), Mickey may have agreed. He may have made her feel sorry for how sorry he (faked) feeling & she went. I think there are several cases where serial killers have essentially been let into their victims' homes (or at least had victims willingly open the door and then forced their way inside, for example...I believe it appears as though Pam Kinamore likely opened her door to DTL) as to not offend the person. How many victims were engaged in conversation by their killers before the killer took them by force or coercion? I think Ted Bundy succesfully offered enough women rides home or enticed them to help him load groceries with his broken arm...they simply may have been polite to say no...

Louisiana Law includes within aggravated kidnapping:
(2) The enticing or persuading of any person to go from one place to another (he could have enticed Mickey to get in by offering her a ride)
(3) The imprisoning or forcible secreting of any person (once in the truck, he wouldn't let her out/go)

I just think we can't discount her getting in the car with him. And even if she did get in willingly, she probably opperates under the assumption that many people and most 21 year olds do- there are more good people out there than bad. Even if she willingly got in the car with him, it is no way her fault that he was not a good person but a RSO who was out on the hunt that night.
I was under the impression that Pam Kinamore had left the keys in the door. I know it has nothing to do with this case, but that's just what I remember.

i wonder if that was maybe his way of trying to get around the new "no sex offenders on facebook " law, or has that not passed or not gone into effect yet?

That is just in the works now if my understanding is correct. Not in place yet.

AWESOME job on the timeline Megsy!!

And...if someone could clarify this...

May 31, 2012: BSL files motion to be removed from the sex offender registry. Hearing is scheduled for August 9th.

So...how does this work? Did he have to appear in person somewhere? If so, where? Courthouse?

Just realized this.....when DH was in graduate school, we lived in Lafayette for the summer. On St. Joseph St. Between Azalea and Curtis. Could see the hosp. from where we lived. Garage apt. is still there.....it was a nice neighborhood back then. Long time ago....early 70's....I'm old! :what:

Mr. Lavergne died in 2009 of cancer in his obit his stepchildren are listed which includes BLS and another male. The surviving spouse is the woman who acknowledged that BLS is her son... adopted son.
http://www.katc.com/full-coverage/searching-for-mickey-shunick/#fcanchor

Sorry in advance if I'm being ignorant, but I don't see any of the information you're sharing in the link you provided. I'll look myself -- can you tell me the first name of the Lavergne that supposedly died of cancer in 09?

(And after this I will drop the father/dad/stepfather issue, because it's fairly OT and not helping us find Mickey.)

We also know that he either took the battery out of MS's phone or destroyed it, in order for it not to ping. There is also an analog camera that films the circle K parking lot which LE reviewed one day right before I shopped there, the cashier informed me. Trust me, LE has searched Sherbourne with dogs before we, as foot searchers, combed the area as well as where the bike was found. LE was also interested in some private property accessible by vehicle near the bike location. Did they find anything? Only time will tell. We do know however that they have more than what they're letting on due to the ongoing investigation.

But if he did take the steps to destroy MS's phone, I would think that he would also cover his own tracks.

Mickey and he both rode past City Hall, which has more than just the camera pointing at the Circle K parking lot. That place is crawling with security cameras on every lot and entrance/exit (including LUS offices), and there is no doubt in my mind that more than one camera was checked on May 19.

Sherbourne is a rough place. Because of its proximity to the Atchafalaya, it's a great place to have run-ins with a Louisiana bear (no, not one in fishnets, you salacious creature...The bruin sort.) or a black panther. The brush can be prohibitively dense once you get off the beaten path and I've seen spots that are accessible only by horseback. Thistlewaite is the same way. During Spring/Summer, these areas aren't visited often due to the off-season for hunting. Heck, on one of our properties, we didn't find a burned-out vehicle until one of my brothers went deer hunting and stumbled upon it. Because of BSL's military training, I think it's more credible that he knew where/how to hide a body, and hide it well. That's why I asked earlier if anyone knew if he was an avid hunter...He'd be more prone to know of remote areas which are infested with predators and/or carrion eaters.

I have to wonder if this collaboration of LE is trying hard not to repeat the mistakes of the task force which investigated DTL's killing spree, by limiting the amount of information and evidence to the media and the public.

I was under the impression that Pam Kinamore had left the keys in the door. I know it has nothing to do with this case, but that's just what I remember.

That may be correct. Maybe it was one of the women who survived or managed to talk him out of their homes from the books I've read about where they answered the door to him and he forced his way in.

as a woman from the same area as Mickey, i do not think she got in that truck willingly. i really feel strongly about it. i think he tied her up and put her in then threw the bike in while she was tied up. there's no WAY i would get in a truck with a stranger. if injured, i'd call 911. that's the first thing cajun mommas teach their little ones.NEVER get in!!! being that she was a cyclist, i'm sure her father reminded her of this. her parents often objected to her riding at night. i don't mean to sound snarky, but i think mickey was smarter than that. shedidn't get in willingly. she was just too small to get away. he's a big military trained man and she's just 5 ft and 115lbs. the odds were totally against her, poor doll. it makes me cry

I tend to think that you are right.

Initially (early June) I speculated that Mickey's abductor could have hit her/bike and convinced her to accept a ride to get medical help as a ruse to get her into his truck. Now, I think (MOO) it more likely that he hit her/her bike and jumped out of the truck acting as if he would help her, saying i.e., "oh my God, are you okay, I didn't see you", only to quickly throw her off guard -as she was focused on what he was saying (she may have been hurt and trying to get up, or saying to him/thinking "wth, why did you hit me") coming at her very fast acting like he was going to help her, instead as he approached her, punched her in the face, knocking her out cold. She would have never had a chance to pull out her pepper spray or react in any way to what was happening to her. He could then have carried her to his truck and loaded her bike in the back.

This activity could have been captured on one of the surveillance tapes that we all think surely have to exist - that may be why LE charged him with aggravated kidnapping. Her presence in his truck or bike in the back could be what's on the video from The Advertiser camera.

If he did knock her out, he could have pulled over in any of the many isolated areas behind Blackham Coliseum and restrained Mickey without a fight for the ride to WB or back to his home.

Praying that Mickey will be found.:beats:

Why would somebody with military training know how/where to hide a body? Anymore than say....a mechanic or lawyer or car salesman? I would think being a local would provide him with all the knowledge he needed. :twocents:

It may be different there, and farm animals are left to decompose in fields, but DH knows his animals by sight and would know pretty fast if one was missing.
He would go and find it and move/bury it if possible.
In other words we would know why buzzards were circling.
MOO though.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/hol...n-remains-to-shed-light-on-homicide-theories/

SAN MARCOS, Texas (The Blaze/AP) — For more than five weeks, a woman’s body lay undisturbed in a secluded Texas field. Then a frenzied flock of vultures descended on the corpse and reduced it to a skeleton within hours.

This article leaves a few thing to question about the studies. Mainly the question I had was was the body embalmed? Is that why the birds didnt show up for 37 days?

Also I doubt the subject has not been studied before . I know I have read tons of information about this and the arrival of the birds after 37 days without any explaination as to why made me question what the researchers know about the birds and the way they choose what and when to eat and how they locate the meal. JMO.

Why would somebody with military training know how/where to hide a body? Anymore than say....a mechanic or lawyer or car salesman? I would think being a local would provide him with all the knowledge he needed. :twocents:

Part of the training is neutralizing an enemy combatant and, in cases of subterfuge and/or reconnaissance, keeping an eye out for a good place to place to hide a body. Other training involves keeping an eye out on your terrain for good places to stash food/ammo caches, etc. In other words, in the back of your mind, you're always looking for places where something, be it in an enemy uniform or in an ammo can, can be hidden.

To put it succinctly, your military training covers several aspects, and one of those aspects is to kill. Another aspect is to do it quietly, cleanly and in a way where the decedent's comrades don't immediately realize someone has kicked the bucket.

We also know that he either took the battery out of MS's phone or destroyed it, in order for it not to ping. There is also an analog camera that films the circle K parking lot which LE reviewed one day right before I shopped there, the cashier informed me. Trust me, LE has searched Sherbourne with dogs before we, as foot searchers, combed the area as well as where the bike was found. LE was also interested in some private property accessible by vehicle near the bike location. Did they find anything? Only time will tell. We do know however that they have more than what they're letting on due to the ongoing investigation.

But if he did take the steps to destroy MS's phone, I would think that he would also cover his own tracks.[/QUOTE
]

BBM...That was the first red flag for me that he was an experienced perp. And he did not use credit cards either.

Makes me wonder if he had his cell phone disabled too, I'm hoping not.

We are damn lucky Brandon is locked up!

Absolutely without a doubt! Bsl is clearly twisted and I feel like this may not be his first go round... IMO :(

My heart breaks for her, but I hope/wonder if LE is getting some helpful information from Mrs. Lavergne.

At the very least, this could include some tidbits about people, places, habits...

Mickey and he both rode past City Hall, which has more than just the camera pointing at the Circle K parking lot. That place is crawling with security cameras on every lot and entrance/exit (including LUS offices), and there is no doubt in my mind that more than one camera was checked on May 19.

Sherbourne is a rough place. Because of its proximity to the Atchafalaya, it's a great place to have run-ins with a Louisiana bear (no, not one in fishnets, you salacious creature...The bruin sort.) or a black panther. The brush can be prohibitively dense once you get off the beaten path and I've seen spots that are accessible only by horseback. Thistlewaite is the same way. During Spring/Summer, these areas aren't visited often due to the off-season for hunting. Heck, on one of our properties, we didn't find a burned-out vehicle until one of my brothers went deer hunting and stumbled upon it. Because of BSL's military training, I think it's more credible that he knew where/how to hide a body, and hide it well. That's why I asked earlier if anyone knew if he was an avid hunter...He'd be more prone to know of remote areas which are infested with predators and/or carrion eaters.

I have to wonder if this collaboration of LE is trying hard not to repeat the mistakes of the task force which investigated DTL's killing spree, by limiting the amount of information and evidence to the media and the public.

I agree, i live 2 blocks from the circle K on W. University and I pay my bills at city hall. One day i counted 5-7 cameras that would have caught MS and BSL on St. Landry. I've said from day one that LE HAS more footage from different cameras. I do know that LE also searched the WB area on horseback. However, I too, was afraid that he skillfully hid her body in a discrete place where only wildlife could get to her. The Louisiana wilderness is a rough place, we saw many gators and baby gators in all the different locations that we searched.

But in regards to cameras, there should be many different vantage points that LE has. Also I believed that the Martin & Castille funeral home office had a camera on the front, but ACI informed me that it was just an empty shell. I think video evidence is what led to BSL's arrest IMO.

IF there is video of Mickey voluntarily getting into BSL's truck after her bike being hit, and from the press conference, it is stated that she WAS hit, AT SOME POINT, would that still constitute an aggravated kidnapping charge, and if so, why? LE stated that they believe he was out prowling for a victim. Would that be why? Even if she got into the truck under her own power? Is that a strong enough AGGRAVATED kidnapping charge to necessitate the first degree murder charge, as LE intimated? I am having to believe that we know very, very little of the concrete evidence that LE has, and I think we are going to hopefully be shocked that they were able to keep it under wraps..

Seems to me like they AT LEAST believe very strongly in the aggravated kidnapping charge.

Thanks for your post! It made me think about something/s. Wasn't the Advertiser's camera footage significant to LPD's investigation? I'm wondering since LE feels strongly that she was kidnapped and is no longer living, if possibly that footage showed BSL leaving town with her bike in his truck, but no Mickey. Seems like they got him on camera for a before and after shot so possibly that's why they conclude the kidnapping and homicide. Also, since no lab results have come back, there's no evidence as far as DNA and such, but once it does come back, that would prove their theory. Sorry for repeating if someone mentioned this.

Also, about the theft and arson incident on June 4th, this isn't based on verified info, but the WS poster that really wanted to know more about BSL because he thought he sold him a car a few years ago, sold him a Tahoe (if that was indeed the BSL of this case) and the truck in the arson incident was a Tahoe too I think. Maybe trying to salvage an old car to drive since his truck was burnt?

I still don't know if he meant to hit her as hard as he did. We do know he hit her. I honestly think she was too injured to fight back. I doubt she was aware of what was happening...concussion, unconscious, or deceased.

I think he easily scooped up her tiny frame and the damaged bike, and if she was badly injured, and not conscience, he initially maybe headed towards the hospital and then realized no matter what his "story" he would go back to jail because of his past and then drove straight to WB, threw them both in the river at WB within the hour. His recent scar may have come from impulsively ripping the bike apart with the tools he had on hand, in the wet/dark.

He is a RSO and a violent person who obviously loves fire, but it makes me curious we have not heard from any other victim since 1999? He's just not that good at hiding his bad behavior. Unless he does have a string of victims he killed. But, it's still curious to me no other sexual assault victims have come forward..do we know of any? He may have just left the bar, been mad, maybe drunk, or just avoided the checkpoint because of his altered license and not paying attention ran into her or he could have had an urge to knock MS off her bike and see if he could get her to let him drive her home/take advantage? None of his actions since that night seem very well planned, more impulsive. As for her not being found. WB seems the most likely for that to be the case. I think the easiest simplest explanation is probably the right one, over thinking and planning doesn't seem to be BSL's forte. When he tries, he makes lots of mistakes.. I think. IMO

I disagree and not did not find your comment snarky. Clearly riding her bike at night was not a smart decision and people do not jump on the blame the victim bandwagon because I am not.

ok good that you didn't find it snarky. i'm afraid that just by disagreeing people think it's snarky because it's so hard ot tell without a voice.

i see what you mean, but i'm hoping and really think she was in the camp of if you are going to do something risky, be sure you do it as safely as possible. like if you are going to hunt, be sure you follow all the gun safety duck blind safety type rules. if you are going to ride a motorcycle be sure you do this and that yadayadayada. so i'm thinking that since she decided to ride her bike so often, even at night, she knew to do it as safely as possible, one of the things being NEVER GET IN. am i making sense?

I still don't know if he meant to hit her as hard as he did. We do know he hit her. I honestly think she was too injured to fight back. I doubt she was aware of what was happening...concussion, unconscious, or deceased.

I think he easily scooped up her tiny frame and the damaged bike, and if she was badly injured, and not conscience, he initially maybe headed towards the hospital and then realized no matter what his "story" he would go back to jail because of his past and then drove straight to WB, threw them both in the river at WB within the hour. His recent scar may have come from impulsively ripping the bike apart with the tools he had on hand, in the wet/dark.

He is a RSO and a violent person who obviously loves fire, but it makes me curious we have not heard from any other victim since 1999? He's just not that good at hiding his bad behavior. Unless he does have a string of victims he killed. But, it's still curious to me no other sexual assault victims have come forward..do we know of any? He may have just left the bar, been mad, maybe drunk, or just avoided the checkpoint because of his altered license and not paying attention ran into her or he could have had an urge to knock MS off her bike and see if he could get her to let him drive her home/take advantage? None of his actions since that night seem very well planned, more impulsive. As for her not being found. WB seems the most likely for that to be the case. I think the easiest simplest explanation is probably the right one, over thinking and planning doesn't seem to be BSL's forte. When he tries, he makes lots of mistakes.. I think. IMO

I obviously missed something. What scar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayc