LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
NO, I do not believe he had any reason to keep the bike. He most likely, IMHO IF he is the perp, over-powered her after he disabled her bike. Then drove away with the victim.

The reason I believe the victim is between Lafayette and NO's is that was the way he went and when he was injurred he drove off to NO's alone. After LE interviewed him, twice I believe, in the ER, when he was released, he drove the OPPOSITE way or PAST Layfayette attempting to throw LE off. I think he panicked.

Remember, the ONLY evidence, as far as he was concerned IF he's the perp, well, would be him being in possession of the victim, .......... or her bicycle. Caught with either one he would be guilty almost automatically. Anything directly connecting him to the crime was disposed of, ASAP!

JMHO
fran
I to believe this, he had to get as far away from the evidence ASAP. I hate saying this but I think he got rid of her body at the same place he dumped her bike. I know the area has been searched. Thats just my thoughts.

Good morning you dedicated night-owl gumshoes!

Last week at the press conference (on Friday, July 6th) the LPD stated that they could place BSL’s vehicle near/around Whiskey Bay the morning Mickey went missing on May 19th. Unless there were continuous recording cameras in the area, I going to speculate that LE was able to tap into BSL’s GPS system to in order to make that determination.

Because BSL had training as a mechanic I’m going to guess that at some point after Whiskey Bay he made the decision to disconnect the GPS, ergo the reason he was able to handily come up with the “GPS wasn’t working” tale he told the NOLA police detectives. It might have dawned on him that he was traceable via his vehicle navigation device and he made the decision to place his victim in a distinguishable (possible remote) location and didn’t want that place to be identifiable.

LE will probably be all over anyone and everyone who ever knew BSL to determine whether he had knowledge or access to private fishing or hunting camps. I doubt if he drove all the way to Texas (out of state) and back that day and then into New Orleans all in that short time on May 19th (12 hours or so), but you never know… maybe that’s why he showed up in Texas out of state the next weekend to double check if he’d covered his tracks properly? (If he drove any distance he would have needed to refuel somewhere.)

It was reported that the search dogs alerted on the presence of human blood at Whiskey Bay during the search out there but it was decided that it could have belonged to just about anyone. Could have been BSL’s.

I so wish those NOLA LE detectives had asked to look inside his truck to verify BSL’s ID especially since he told them his wallet had been stolen…

I guess it really doesn't matter... but why fabricate a story then include a jersey # that even the Saints fans have to look up?

IMO it only proves his story was fake just like the jersey #!

OK! It's not fake and apparently BSL does not know "football" or the Saints very well. UNLESS it was HIS # when he was younger...
moo

With you, his attempts to hide this crime are laced with unbelievable components: a series of crimes (robbery, stabbing, truck theft) where he's the victim involving two states and four police departments. The jersey number is just strange. He should have said #9; everybody has that one.

As far as his injuries go, we don't know the depth or shape, but, IMO, the one on his neck doesn't look "straight"...more "jagged", like maybe NOT a knife.
I'm thinking maybe Mickey picked up a piece of the glass on the ground from the broken light on her bike while he was attacking her, IF he did attack her there...there could have been a piece she just found that was there already....OR, someone had mentioned "oyster shells"....I have no clue about that, have never been there.

Also, there might have been blood present, maybe that's how LE is narrowing down where the attack took place??
OR, maybe there was no blood and the attack took place somewhere else.
I'm just seeing him getting out of the truck and forceable try to pick her up into the truck.

All just IMO.

Gosh, I hope he went to Wal-mart that weekend...he would be on video for sure...hope they are checking. We've seen so many of these suspects end up at Wal-mart.

Catching up again. So if this has been said, sorry. But, there is a Walmart on Jeff. Highway, and depending on traffic and lights, it's only about a 10 min. drive from Ochsner Hospital.

Are LA driver's licenses plastic? If your license has been lost or "stolen" would you be given a temporary paper license? I've been curious about how he could have used Wite-Out (as has been suggested here) to obscure his RSO status but if the answers to those questions are "yes" then it begins to make some sense.

Are LA driver's licenses plastic? If your license has been lost or "stolen" would you be given a temporary paper license? I've been curious about how he could have used Wite-Out (as has been suggested here) to obscure his RSO status but if the answers to those questions are "yes" then it begins to make some sense.

Yup Louisiana licenses are plastic, and you can get a new one immediately at the DMV. When we moved to Houston I was dumbfounded that they gave us a paper one while waiting for the real one to come in the mail! Apparently Louisiana is one of the few states that still do plastic though.

I think he knew he would be a suspect just being a RSO in the area with noticeable wounds on his body. Driving hours away to report a robbery that gave you those noticeable wounds probably felt safer to him or like a defense against any accusations. He probably reasoned that if anyone looked into him he could just shrug and say he was hours away filing police reports and being robbed.

I wonder if they asked who was he visiting in New Orleans. He said he was visiting friends, so name the friends. It's not relevant to his so called beat down though so I guess they had no reason to ask. If he couldn't tell the name of the gas station and it's location, I was just wondering what he would have come up with if asked for names.

In my younger years I knew of many friends who would white out part of a # on the DOB on their license to make them appear to be 21. They would, for instance, white out part of an 8 and make it a 4. They would use a white out pencil...IMO it was very obviously altered, but some did a better job of it then others.
I think BSL probably used a white out pencil (I wonder if he bought one recently, or if they found one at his home), and clearly he did not do a good job altering it, because the woman at the car dealership noticed it.

The whole bizarre story he apparently concocted about being mugged, the timing of his visit to the ER, the truck ending up in TX and his apparently renting a car...all of it says to me that he was very much on his own in this crime and feeling his way through afterward in a very clumsy, not too bright way. I also agree with a previous poster that he was probably not specifically "trolling" for a victim that night (just a guess on LE's part, IMO) but rather saw Mickey and his instincts took over, which is why everything else is such a mishmash afterwards. He didn't stop to think about video, about what he would do with her bike, with her body, etc...and then if he ended up with injuries, that was another thing he suddenly had to deal with somehow. And days later, seeing his truck on TV started the whole chain of events that led him to burn the truck.

This has always been about one perp, one random victim to me. Nothing preplanned to any degree, no stalking in advance, no ties to Mickey or her friends, etc...she was there, he drove by.

The whole bizarre story he apparently concocted about being mugged, the timing of his visit to the ER, the truck ending up in TX and his apparently renting a car...all of it says to me that he was very much on his own in this crime and feeling his way through afterward in a very clumsy, not too bright way. I also agree with a previous posted that he was probably not specifically "trolling" for a victim that night (just a guess on LE's part, IMO) but rather saw Mickey and his instincts took over, which is why everything else is such a mishmash afterwards. He didn't stop to think about video, about what he would do with her bike, with her body, etc...and then if he ended up with injuries, that was another thing he suddenly had to deal with somehow. And days later, seeing his truck on TV started the whole chain of events that led him to burn the truck.

This has always been about one perp, one random victim to me. Nothing preplanned to any degree, no stalking in advance, no ties to Mickey or her friends, etc...she was there, he drove by.

Yours is the best most realistic summation of how it all evolved that I've read.

I feel the need to share this...
BSL's arrest hit me like a ton of bricks...I have been following cases on WS for a while now...but seems like their have been very few arrest's and not many bodies found in so many cases I follow...I realize, sadly, that I have become accustomed to that. The cases that I have followed that have had bodies or arrests, it usually happens within days of my following and thus I have not yet made an emotional connection to the people/person. Mickey is different...I love her smile! I love the fact she was an anthro major (so was I). I love that she loved animals...and was close with her sister and family and friends...I love that she was bold and confident and fun and funky...I felt connected to every little thing I have learned about her. She could have been a friend I would have had 20 years ago. And with the arrest of BSL for murder...I realize MS is not coming back...and it makes me very sad. I can barely stand the details...I hate the fact that Mickey had to fight to the end, it does not make me feel better.

They are plastic.

I JUST went through this. I lost mine and went to the DMV in Metairie, La. Since my license was not expired they gave me a new license with a new picture and on the the top it says in bold letters stating DUPLICATE.

The whole bizarre story he apparently concocted about being mugged, the timing of his visit to the ER, the truck ending up in TX and his apparently renting a car...all of it says to me that he was very much on his own in this crime and feeling his way through afterward in a very clumsy, not too bright way. I also agree with a previous posted that he was probably not specifically "trolling" for a victim that night (just a guess on LE's part, IMO) but rather saw Mickey and his instincts took over, which is why everything else is such a mishmash afterwards. He didn't stop to think about video, about what he would do with her bike, with her body, etc...and then if he ended up with injuries, that was another thing he suddenly had to deal with somehow. And days later, seeing his truck on TV started the whole chain of events that led him to burn the truck.

I totally agree with this. Every time he covered one "problem", another popped up.

And when the Truck pics where released he panicked and made even worse mistakes.

Not sure about RSO, but, in the past when I needed a DUP, I went to the DMV and walked out with a new one. I am catching up this morning and was wondering about the fact that the truck was found in TX. He would have had to cross the state line with her for it to become a fedral case right?

As of right now, my theory is that he picked her up, bought her and the bike back to his house, with her still alive and did what he had to do. He seemed to like control over a woman, however MS wasn't the pushover he thought and got a hold to a knife, and used it. Maybe one from his own home. If that's the case then I am sure he went nuts at that point.... I think he put her somewhere along that back route to WB, then dumped the bike at WB. He probably cleaned his truck on his way to or his way back from the hospital... Baton Rouge, or some city in between WB and NO. I bet he went to a Wal-Mart or some store to get a cleaner for his seats and carpet. Cleaned it up good enough until those pics showed up on the news, then he feared DNA...

I guess differently. Wasn't it said that he had previously burned his father's home? (Wondering what he did to someone in there and why he had to burn it...) I think he didn't want to go that route again, so he did not bring her to his home. I think he did whatever he did to her in his truck, which is why he burned it. I also don't think his wounds were self-inflicted. I think she fought like a tiger.

A lot of offshore workers keep their offshore bag in their trucks ready to go so it's quite possible he had clothes with him. They also are up around 1 AM at time, have to drive a 5 hour drive to somewhere, take a boat, then work 12 hours when they get out there. Lack of sleep is par for the course.

His offshore bag is large enough to carry a petite body in without anyone suspecting anything if seen. JS

His offshore bag is large enough to carry a petite body in without anyone suspecting anything if seen. JS

I've been thinking the very same thing but didn't want to say it before :(
He could have easily transported her in one of those heavy duty offshore bags. Most are waterproof like this one below, and it would not have caused suspicion as he'd no doubt have one in the back of his truck most of the time:

blue%20vinyl%20bag.jpg

O/T a little! I have seen this several times!
How is this pronounced? Atchafalaya .... Phonetically?
Is the At silent?

A 24 mile bridge with no land around? :hills:
No! Thank you

Morning -- try this:

uh-CHAFF-uh-LIE-uh
(accent on the caps)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online