LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #37

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still leaning towards excessive amounts of blood that would have rendered the victim unable to continue life and/or brain matter.

This is what I and another poster were alluding to yesterday.

Is Mickey's father saying he would support second-degree murder if BL will reveal where her body is? I am confused...is that even an option?

Nope. He's saying that he hopes, with the addition of the indictment for the first degree murder charge on Lisa Pate, that BSL would be pressured to reveal MS's location.

Some thoughts about the possibility of BSL abducting Lisa in late June and not killing her until a few days later (probably July 3rd) per this site: http://www.kplctv.com/story/19059091/brandon-scott-lavergne

BSL's slashes/stabs on his back that we assume came from Mickey have always seemed strange to me since hearing about them. Yes, a rapist/murdered getting defensive wounds/knife or sharp object cuts on his neck, chest, arms, hands, etc all fits for this to have happened while he is raping or overpowering the victim. But the wounds on his back do not. I find it strange she'd reach around and cut him instead of cutting at his face, chest, hands, arms, etc while he was over her/on top of her.

I wonder if he didn't take Mickey some place (maybe even home) for even a small time after he abducted her and she freed herself from however she was restrained (or maybe even talked him into freeing her to use the bathroom) and then when his back was briefly turned, she grabbed a knife or sharp object and slashed him from behind. He then turned around and was able to gain control again and I'd figure, probably got so angry that he would kill her then. :( Then the trip to Oschner (with possible stop off at WB) would start (presumably after placing Mickey's body somewhere- maybe under his house until he could find a better place? or maybe he kept the body around for a while for sick purposes a la Ted Bundy returning to the sites where fresh corpses were placed & keeping one around until it got so gross he burned it in his girlfriend's chimney)?

Those back wounds are starting to make sense to me (unless of course, he self-inflicted them to make his story more believable or something nutso).

Nope. He's saying that he hopes, with the addition of the indictment for the first degree murder charge on Lisa Pate, that BSL would be pressured to reveal MS's location.

I do not see how that would be added pressure, the DP is on the table for both cases but he can only die once!

That link says he was on probation from 11/15/2007- 11/15/2010

Is this incorrect???
http://www.icrimewatch.net/offenderdetails.php?OfndrID=1417897&AgencyID=53604

I'm guessing it's correct since it's on an official site. He was sentenced to 10 years and got out in 8 for good behavior. He was on parole for 2 more years. BSL would have had to check in for life thogh because he's a tier 3 sex offender. His last verification date was May 28th, 2012

Thanks :) Was just making sure it wasn't updated recently with the scar on his hand.

You're welcome ! :)

Food for thought:

Would he be so stupid as to kidnap her here and kill her in TX, where they have a death penalty "express lane" (Ron White) on these offenses?

He wouldn't have to admit to anything, further causing agony to these families.

It reminds me of a case I read up on where to the last second, the guy said he did it but wouldn't give the body location. Died with a smirk on his face.

Okay, thanks, I read it wrong. But I fear it is less likely to make him talk.

If he is, in fact, a sociopath (and it seems likely he is), he will only reveal the location of the body if he feels it is beneficial to him to do so. He won't do it so the family has closure. He doesn't care about their feelings.

Food for thought:

Would he be so stupid as to kidnap her here and kill her in TX, where they have an "express lane" (Ron White) on these offenses?

Many serial killers will commit murders in states with the death penalty, especially states that are quick to sentence killers to death.

Texas only has enough of the medication for lethal injections to kill 23 condemned inmates though.

I'm guessing it's correct since it's on an official site. He was sentenced to 10 years and got out in 8 for good behavior. He was on parole for 2 more years. BSL would have had to check in for life thogh because he's a tier 3 sex offender. His last verification date was May 28th, 2012

You're welcome ! :)

How can he be on probation while in jail for 10 months prior to being released???

Something is wrong with that picture imo

I do not see how that would be added pressure, the DP is on the table for both cases but he can only die once!

That is very true, but who knows what kind of psychological effect this news will have on BSL? It is possible that he could still reveal her location, but then again, it might cause him to clam up even more as he may figure 'hey, if I tell them where she is, I can't get the DP off the table since there's another case that I"m being tried on and can get the DP. What's the use of giving up the location if I'm going to die anyway?"

You're right, I misread it. Edited my post. :)

Maybe there's a picture dated 7/3/99 (from those "old" cameras that when you'd develop the film would have the date on the pics in the 1990s?) of something awful? As terrible as that would be, it would be great for sending this guy away for life.

I worked in a photo lab at that time (1999). We were required to personally go through each set of photographs to insure quality. We were also supposed to look for bad stuff. Unless we were developing evidence shots for law enforcement, we were supposed to report any photos showing evidence of crimes (including molestations, exploitation, abuse, etc.) to law enforcement. We even removed the kinky sex shots and put in a little slip of paper saying, "We're sorry, but some photographs in this set cannot legally be printed...". Boy, could I tell some stories on what I saw in some people's film sets. :floorlaugh:

In 1999, his best bet would have been Polaroid instant photographs, which were widely available at that time and were generally recognized as the best way to record things that you didn't want others to see.

Now, digital cameras were becoming available at this time, but they were extremely grainy. However, like digital photographs today, you could pull the basic information off of the files (like date downloaded from camera).

I don't recall anyone saying a laptop or hard drive was removed from the trailer, though.

According to KATC's newscast, Lisa Pate was from Youngsville and the mother of three children, the youngest being just weeks old when she disappeared and subsequently given up for adoption. The two boys are now 22 and 16.

How extremely sad.

According to KATC's newscast, Lisa Pate was from Youngsville and the mother of three children, the youngest being just weeks old when she disappeared and subsequently given up for adoption. The two boys are now 22 and 16.

The youngest was her daughter and was given up for adoption, according to that newscast.

How can he be on probation while in jail for 10 months prior to being released???

Something is wrong with that picture imo

I don't know. Maybe he was in some kind of half way house between prison and his official release date.

I worked in a photo lab at that time (1999). We were required to personally go through each set of photographs to insure quality. We were also supposed to look for bad stuff. Unless we were developing evidence shots for law enforcement, we were supposed to report any photos showing evidence of crimes (including molestations, exploitation, abuse, etc.) to law enforcement. We even removed the kinky sex shots and put in a little slip of paper saying, "We're sorry, but some photographs in this set cannot legally be printed...". Boy, could I tell some stories on what I saw in some people's film sets. :floorlaugh:

In 1999, his best bet would have been Polaroid instant photographs, which were widely available at that time and were generally recognized as the best way to record things that you didn't want others to see.

Now, digital cameras were becoming available at this time, but they were extremely grainy. However, like digital photographs today, you could pull the basic information off of the files (like date downloaded from camera).

I don't recall anyone saying a laptop or hard drive was removed from the trailer, though.

he had a cell phone. If it took pics wouldn't it have a memory card? (maybe?) he didn't need a computer!

Hey guys haven't Been on in awhile (work), I'm happy the shunick and the pates are on the great road to justice!!! :)

I worked in a photo lab at that time (1999). We were required to personally go through each set of photographs to insure quality. We were also supposed to look for bad stuff. Unless we were developing evidence shots for law enforcement, we were supposed to report any photos showing evidence of crimes (including molestations, exploitation, abuse, etc.) to law enforcement. We even removed the kinky sex shots and put in a little slip of paper saying, "We're sorry, but some photographs in this set cannot legally be printed...".

Yeah. There was another case where a woman took pictures of herself having sex with dogs. The photo lab called the police, and the woman was arrested.

However, the DA didn't take the case because she owned the dogs. They said that it's only a crime if they weren't her dogs.

He can't claim insanity... ( based on criminal law and the definition of mens rea- guilty mind) He appears to be a psychopath as opposed to a sociapath. At the time of his crimes he knew what he was doing and he knew it was wrong- it was pre-meditated and he attempted to cover it up. Within criminal law this is "mens rea" and insanity is not a plausible plea. Psychopaths lack any sense of compassion but they are aware of "right versus wrong"...there is no acceptance of guilt or remorse... they are evil personified when they act criminally...

he had a cell phone. If it took pics wouldn't have a memory card? (maybe?) he didn't need a computer!

That could be the case for the murder of Mickey or more recent victims. But in 1999, the cell phones didn't take pictures. I had a Motorola Star-Tac phone in 2000 and it was pretty "high tech" at the time. It was analog and showed on the phone number on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3