LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don't think that any one piece of evidence leaked by LE will be the reason that a motion for a change of venue is sought. If the defense is thinking along these lines, they are already set to file that motion. Additional CajunNet info will not tip the scale, IMHO.

I'm confused... Where are they getting all of the volunteers to search if they stopped asking for the public to help?

I'm confused... Where are they getting all of the volunteers to search if they stopped asking for the public to help?

My understanding is that current searchers are either LE or trained EquiSearch volunteers. God LOVE 'em! & Bring MICKEY HOME!!!

LA Code Crim Pro 622 What's This?
Art. 622. Grounds for change of venue
A change of venue shall be granted when the applicant proves that by reason of prejudice existing in the public mind or because of undue influence, or that for any other reason, a fair and impartial trial cannot be obtained in the parish where the prosecution is pending.
In deciding whether to grant a change of venue the court shall consider whether the prejudice, the influence, or the other reasons are such that they will affect the answers of jurors on the voir dire examination or the testimony of witnesses at the trial.

http://law.justia.com/codes/louisiana/2011/ccrp/ccrp622/

Motions for change of venue (more for your reading pleasure)
http://files.ali-aba.org/thumbs/datastorage/skoob/articles/BK50-CH20_thumb.pdf

Imo, a sequestered jury would more than likely be ordered by the Judge in BSL's Death penalty trial/s which would nullify any additional expense from importing jurors from elsewhere.

The States Justice Systems are continuously looking for cost cutting measures as their budgets decline. Importing jurors is one of these measures. There is precedent as of late in LA for the importing of jurors..
DP trials are very expensive and have actually darn near bankrupted many smaller municipalities.

Again NOLO, there have been much higher profile serial killer cases in LA, than BSL's and the change of venue motion was denied. Serial Killer DTL's was only one..

An aware, informed, & educated juror pool is not a cause for change of venue.

'The sky is falling; change of venue arguement is simply a way of justifying silence in an investigation, imo'.. If local folks remain silent, other possible unknown victims have no voice..

"Silence is the predator's most lethal weapon"..

I think the difference is, Lafayette is not like other big cities, you know how many ppl just in my family don't have internet or cable and really don't know much about this even though BSL was once related by marriage. Not everyone follows the news, internet, & gossip like some of us. I think the bigger problem will be how many ppl are unknowingly tied to this case or related to someone tied to this case. Before it is all over it will stretch far and wide I'm afraid. JMO of course. I think they have a good chance of keeping it here though. Gonna be hard to change.

Yet another 'newbie' joins WS! I have been following your posts for only a short while...find them intriguing to follow...the people and places discussed are all so familiar and close to heart.

Yet another 'newbie' joins WS! I have been following your posts for only a short while...find them intriguing to follow...the people and places discussed are all so familiar and close to heart.

:wagon:

Welcome, Crimson clover! Glad to have you here.

It was not a leak. It was LE questioning ppl on items that were found. Not just telling random ppl, hey i found this. Questions about some of the items needed to be addressed.

The ppl they are telling WILL NOT be in the jury pool as they may possibly be connected to this case somehow. JMO.

But the people that those people tell.. could be.

I have not as of yet been verified. I am waiting on the call.

And all I said was I heard some disturbing things had been found in/near his home.

I remember a news clip, (that I can't find), where they did an interview during the search of BSL's home and the guy looked like he had just seen something terrible!

It shouldn't matter where the trial take places, if the evidence is good. I am for whatever reduces the number and chances of appeals.

cluciano63. appeals are automatic in death penalty trials, should there be one..

Forums, such as this are healthy imo, to not only share info, sleuth, spread awareness, and occasionally vent, but to also motivate investigators and prosecutors in giving the innocent victim; Mickey Schunick, and her family the truth and Justice..

Although Lisa Marie Pate's investigation involved a multi-agency search in Acadia Parish, her case went cold due to silence, imo...
Lisa Marie Pate, did not receive the MS Media attention until 13 years later. Her file was placed in a dimly lighted room in a moldy basement, along with the many other cold case files.. Mickey's investigation has brought her case to light...

Walk outside, turn off all fans & devices, and listen real hard.

It's in the wind. You can hear it in the background. it's the wind made by flapping gums.
(was in response to question- How do I get to Cajun net???)

LOL I just got here and really needed this! Thank you Chicken Fried! :lol:

cluciano63. appeals are automatic in death penalty trials, should there be one..

Forums, such as this are healthy imo, to not only share info, sleuth, spread awareness, and occasionally vent, but to also motivate investigators and prosecutors in giving the innocent victim; Mickey Schunick, and her family the truth and Justice..

Although Lisa Marie Pate's investigation involved a multi-agency search in Acadia Parish, her case went cold due to silence, imo...
Lisa Marie Pate, did not receive the MS Media attention until 13 years later. Her file was placed in a dimly lighted room in a moldy basement, along with the many other cold case files.. Mickey's investigation has brought her case to light...

I understand appeals are automatic in a DP case...but it would be an extra appeal if indeed the trial is not moved and should have been...

Even if this site never existed, I'd find it very hard for a change of venue NOT to take place with all of the coverage about this case...
But I hope that doesn't happen
I don't think they'll ask for a change of venue because I think they probably realize that it doesn't really matter where he's tried.....hell still be found guilty and there was a lot of media coverage everywhere. IMO in order to get a jury they'd have to try to find people somewhere with no TVs or internet access.

Maybe like Antarctica or something LOL

Jmo

It shouldn't matter where the trial take places, if the evidence is good. I am for whatever reduces the number and chances of appeals.

Agreed, I don't care where the trial takes place.
A conviction can be overturned should it be determined that BSL did not get a fair trial because of prejudice against him in the area and the change of venue request was denied. It isn't likely to happen but it has past cases.

I don't think they'll ask for a change of venue because I think they probably realize that it doesn't really matter where he's tried.....hell still be found guilty and there was a lot of media coverage everywhere. IMO in order to get a jury they'd have to try to find people somewhere with no TVs or internet access.

Jmo

I don't know, it seems like the coverage has not been that excessive outside of the general area. And there was lots of discussion before the arrest that the coverage in places like Baton Rouge and Shreveport was very little. Outside of the state, there is almost nothing about this case as far as I can tell; the occasional update.

If the case really does not go to trial for two years or so...there should be able to find a jury locally. Not everyone will follow every development the way we do here.

JMO

Jmo

Believe it or not, there are people in Lafayette who are not following the case. People in my area-about an hour away- don't know much about the case and aren't that interested. It's that way in a lot of the state. Not everyone is wrapped up in Mickey's disappearance. Just because people hear about it doesn't mean they're prejudiced one way or the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne