LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #40

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was my story in The Daily Advertiser. Unfortunately, with the mix-up between the jail and the chief judge and the courthouse, I had to watch the arraignment in the courthouse via video linkup. It was clear enough to see his movements but not clear enough to see cuts or wounds on his hands. I did not see bandages on his hands.

ClaireT, does the media have access to the tape? Other than the security issues, wink, wink, what is your opinion as to why the arraignment hearing accommodations were so, shall we say fowled up?

OT- I am feeling a little humbled today as I had sent Charlie a Petsmart card a few weeks ago, for Mickey's pets, and I received a card from her in the mail yesterday; she must have had to look up my address, etc. as I did not include it and she wrote a very nice note. I'd like to think I would do the same in her terrible situation, but I can't say for sure. Mickey really had an amazing family and her loss is everyone's loss.

Too cool! What a fantastic idea. It's so refreshing, in the midst of all the sadness and frustration, to see such humanity. This goes for everyone involved... I know sometimes I can get so tied up in all the ugly that I forget who/what we're really here for... Sometimes these random acts of kindness come along to remind of what's most important. Imo.
:cool:

I have never looked at WB the same since Carrie Yoder and Pam Kinamore were both dumped there by Derrick Todd Lee.

i've heard many people mention Derrick Todd Lee..since i'm been reading on here . I was at the book store a few days ago looking at true crime section...thats what i like to read....and i bought the book BLOOD BATH by Susan Mustafa, Tony Clayton. Sue Israel. It's about the story of La and Derrick Todd Lee. They have pictures of WB and where those bodies were found.

i've heard many people mention Derrick Todd Lee..since i'm been reading on here . I was at the book store a few days ago looking at true crime section...thats what i like to read....and i bought the book BLOOD BATH by Susan Mustafa, Tony Clayton. Sue Israel. It's about the story of La and Derrick Todd Lee. They have pictures of WB and where those bodies were found.

I have that same book. That really was a time back then! Everyone was looking for a white guy, right up to the wire, then bam! DNA showed it was a black guy. I'm so glad that reign of terror is over.

I have that same book. That really was a time back then! Everyone was looking for a white guy, right up to the wire, then bam! DNA showed it was a black guy. I'm so glad that reign of terror is over.

I think I will read it on my Kindle this week...I remember the time very well, even though I am not in the area, and may have even read this book back when it came out, but everything seems different now, knowing more about the area and the places involved.

I just returned from a quick trip to Mississippi, and since I was the passenger this time, I was able to get a better look at things around me. I really do have to say that the Whiskey Bay exit/bridge/area will never be the same to me. I think of Mickey every time we pass. :(

I also noted something that might be inane for some, but I thought maybe some out-of-towners might like to know: that area, pretty much the entire Atchafalaya Basin Bridge, is abundantly overgrown, being summer and all. I can see the trouble with the searching, just from the bridge. The foliage is overgrown and lush, and looking for something specific would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Also, I don't know if this was ever noted before I joined, but I know there was talk of there not being enough room to pull over at the Whiskey Bay exit, which is true, but FWIW, there is plenty of shoulder room before and after the exit.

I live in Scott, and I can tell you, every little piece of wooded area, every deep ditch, everything I pass makes me think of her... My husband is so tired of pulling over... I never really noticed just how much area there is to hide a body!!

There is something that has been bothering me since I first heard that womans ids where found in the search. Maybe I'm just stressing too much but still worried. My daughter had been at Artmosphere during the days that MS had gone there also and another Bistro/club and my daughters DL has come up missing. She has no idea how as she has not lost her wallet or anything else. I just find it strange that if someone found the DL they would not drop it in a mailbox to the address on it. I just think I will kill over if I find out that her id was among his collection. She already thinks I am too overprotective. Just wish I knew how to find out if her id was in the mix.

If her DL was in his home, she wouldve been contacted by LE by now, or will be soon. I'm 100 percent positive. They contacted all of the girls to make sure they are alright and such

That was my story in The Daily Advertiser. Unfortunately, with the mix-up between the jail and the chief judge and the courthouse, I had to watch the arraignment in the courthouse via video linkup. It was clear enough to see his movements but not clear enough to see cuts or wounds on his hands. I did not see bandages on his hands.

thanks. they sure aren't giving you guys (the media) much to work with. they are keeping us all in the dark. :waiting:

This is what confuses me: Lisa Pate's body was dumped behind a house and covered with three boards right? Ok...I know it sounds crass, but surely there was a godawful stench there long before only bones were found. There had to be buzzards in the immediate vicinity. I am just not understanding why it took those months to find her. Even if the site was somewhat isolated, there is no mistaking the scent of something decomposing, and something as big as a human body would smell for a good long time.
Even the sister of KA said she helped clean out the house after her brother was killed, so surely if LP's body had been there then, she would have at least questioned the smell so close. I am just wondering when her body was actually put there.

Very rural area with acreage in between houses would
make it much harder to smell. Also, if anyone had cows, horses, goats etc there is always something smelling. I think if the wind was blowing right as well and the body was far back from the road no-one would smell
it.

So, I just passed by BSL's home. I have to say it was extremely hard to find.

i wonder what the deal is with his trailer now. can his mom go in? does CSI "lock up" after they're done? i wonder what one would see if they looked through the window. i am not recommended this, just wondering.

I do wonder who lived in the house before the guy who found LP.

"In an interview with The Daily Advertiser in September 1999, Landry said he stumbled upon the discovery while walking through what appeared to be a trail cutting through an overgrown area in his back yard."

“Just a few steps into the thicket, barely 25 yards from his front door, he spotted three boards laid side-by-side and what looked like a bone at the far end,” The Advertiser reported, noting that Landry had rented the home for less than a month when he found the remains."

http://theadvocate.com/home/3390194-125/acadia-grand-jury-had-looked

Oh my goodness! Lord help me! I got it right! Now I'm worried about myself....

Don't worry! It takes more than knowing the right answer. It takes the willingness to act. My husband is former LE and he'd joke that I have a "criminal mind." I'd obviously never act on it, but I was probably more physically aware of my surroundings (ditto my property) because I "knew" how a crook thinks. (seriously, I just have an active imagination). Hubby also has a "criminal mind" which is what made him an excellent police officer.

So...maybe you have a reason to worry about yourself (your words --- which I doubt) or perhaps you have the ability to look are various scenarios and situations and see possibilities on which you personally would never act. The latter is a gift here on websleuths!

i wonder what the deal is with his trailer now. can his mom go in? does CSI "lock up" after they're done? i wonder what one would see if they looked through the window. i am not recommended this, just wondering.

Well im gonna post some pictures of his home. I didn't stay long because my friend felt very sick there, but I figured that would happen. I was only there a few seconds, but all his vehicles are still there. I think I saw two red cars, one white, and possibly another. The barn is a little bit further from his trailer than I thought as well. I wish I had stayed longer, but I plan to go back. By the time we found it, the sun was almost gone.

There is something that has been bothering me since I first heard that womans ids where found in the search. Maybe I'm just stressing too much but still worried. My daughter had been at Artmosphere during the days that MS had gone there also and another Bistro/club and my daughters DL has come up missing. She has no idea how as she has not lost her wallet or anything else. I just find it strange that if someone found the DL they would not drop it in a mailbox to the address on it. I just think I will kill over if I find out that her id was among his collection. She already thinks I am too overprotective. Just wish I knew how to find out if her id was in the mix.
I would think that if indeed they did find ID's in BSL's house, they'd be evidence. IF it were my daughter's ID missing, i'd call LE. Don't assume they'll give you evidence, but I think they would have to ease your mind if they do have it. Not sure...but call them.

Well im gonna post some pictures of his home. I didn't stay long because my friend felt very sick there, but I figured that would happen. I was only there a few seconds, but all his vehicles are still there. I think I saw two red cars, one white, and possibly another. The barn is a little bit further from his trailer than I thought as well. I wish I had stayed longer, but I plan to go back. By the time we found it, the sun was almost gone.

when ru gonna post them? tonight?

I would think that if indeed they did find ID's in BSL's house, they'd be evidence. IF it were my daughter's ID missing, i'd call LE. Don't assume they'll give you evidence, but I think they would have to ease your mind if they do have it. Not sure...but call them.

I would call LE. If she had her DL replaced they know she is OK... Knowing that they would be less likely to contact you at this point. IMO
Since your daughter was at Artmosphere when her DL was stolen, IF he did have it...it places him there that day/night.
They may already know if he was or not, but as a momma I'd need to know!
moo

Yep, It would definitely smell. I know I've ridden past stinky areas and thought it was "just an animal"- in my case it most likely was. At least I hope so. I do tend to recall someone mentioning ( no link- I am so bad at that) that the neighbor next door said buzzards were circling for while.

Someone said this back in 1999? Or do you mean recently about BSL's yard?

Bsl's neighbor said that about the buzzards recently, since ms went missing,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member