LA LA - Audrey Moate, 31, Laplace, 24 Nov 1956

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yeah, I think she had one post post, very informative and the poof she was gone. I know we all had many questions for her.

She claimed she was about to die. I do remember the short news video featuring her talking about giving DNA because she was very ill.
(I know it was on this thread somewhere.)

I'm wondering why she put it all upon herself to give DNA. Almost as if she were the only living realative. That would mean that her other siblings had since passed away??

Would the news team that broadcastedthe story about the DNA have any information on what happened? It seems like they would have some follow up information about her... Did she die? family members, etc? I was under the impression that she did not have any children, is that true?
There were several articles published about the story around the time she posted here, and then nothing afterward. So... I don't know.

The second child was alive in 2008 when GM's wife died. Her obit lists five children in order of their births. No disctinction made for "step" children, which leads me to believe she loved them very much. Maybe the second child didn't feel the same need to locate AM as the first child. The third child was only a year old when AM disappeared, and I have a feeling she was raised away from her two siblings.

I read the Odessa American article, too. I can't link or quote from it since it's a pay per view article, so I'll summarize parts of it to add to what PinkPanther already mentioned.

AM met TH in 1950 when they worked together at Celotex. They were both scout leaders, and sometimes participated in the same group social events. He took an interest in her, and when she decided to take correspondence courses to become a safety engineer (like TH), according to her mother, TH "helped her with her studies" on Saturday mornings.

The article says AM and GM divorced in 1954. If that's true, they must have been separated much earlier. In 1952, there was a strike at Celotex, and TH brought AM and her two children to live in his home. They stayed for six months. When the strike ended, AM took a job with Kaiser and brought her two children to live with her mother in Baton Rouge. In July, 1955, she had the "nervous breakdown" and went to St. Louis, then returned in December with the new baby. AM's mother said TH took great care of AM and the baby, treating the child like his own.

After TH was murdered, Mrs. TH learned that he had worked only one Saturday morning in four years. When interviewed by the OA, she made no bones about her feelings toward AM. She noted that AM had not helped with housework at all during her stay, and was always hanging around TH. Mrs. TH felt that AM was manipulative and said that she "hated her". Mrs. TH and GM were both questioned and cleared of involvement in the murder/disappearance.

The Acosta confession occurred after the time of the article, so it's not mentioned. A prominent New Orleans lawyer, however, told the reporter he was hunting in the area that morning and noticed a man and a woman in a speed hull with the motor off, floating. They weren't fishing, and the woman looked cold. He found it odd that they were both very still. So you have to wonder if it was NA and his common-law wife.

But then there's the phone call the ex-MIL received on December 6th. GM's mother was certain it was AM on the other end asking for help. She and AM had remained on friendly terms after the divorce, and she believed AM might have called her if she were in New Orleans and needed help, and didn't have money to make a long distance call to her mother in Baton Rouge. And when AM's picture appeared in the paper the next day, a couple of French Market waitresses were certain a disheveled woman they'd noticed in the restaurant behaving strangely was AM.

Were the ex-MIL and the waitresses mistaken? I can't imagine why NA would make a deathbed confession about a crime he had no part of. On the other hand, I wonder what his state of mind was at the time. Did he suffer from dementia, or the effects of medication? I question why he would go through the pains of tying AM's body to a Civil War cannon and pushing it into the lake, but leave TH's body in the car with AM's belongings. Yet it seems whoever killed TH did just. The investigators determined TH was prone on the backseat when he was shot in the back by a bullet that entered through the glass window. A woman's bare footprints and a man's boot prints were found leading into the woods. A piece of a man's plaid shirt was caught on a tree branch. AM's vanity bag and personal items were scattered on the ground around the car. Those are the facts from the crime scene, and clearly they suggest an abuction. IF AM managed to escape, how did she make it to New Orleans without anyone knowing?

My mother is the third child. She was born December 21, 1955 and was only 11 months old when this crime occurred. I believe she was living with her mom, Audrey, at the time of the crime and then she was raised by distant relatives. From what I remember, my mom told me that her biological mom, Audrey, and her adoptive mom had the same grandparents. She has never had any dealings with the Hotard family.

The resemblance between my mother and Audrey is striking. 14653_1165441824951_6913197_n.jpg

She was always told she was adopted and nothing was kept a secret. I remember as a teenager rummaging through old clippings about the murder and a movie script that her half sister wrote. The lady in the above post is also Audrey's daughter and my mom's half-sister, but I have only met her once when I was very little and my family doesn't have any contact with her.

My brother sent me a link that for a forum that someone posted saying that the babies name was Jacquelyn Hotard. This is the first I have heard that. My mothers first name is Jacquelyn so it is sweet to know that her adoptive parents kept her given name.

Anyway, I came across the post about the DNA test and that was in 2011. I have a call into the LA parish SHeriff's office to see what ever came about with that. Of course my family has their own ideas about what happened but most likely it was just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I can't remember why but both the wife of Mr Hotard and the ex husband were completely ruled out.

It is so sad. She looked so pretty and was just a few years younger than I am now when she died.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me at my username above @yahoo.com

Thanks!

Have you seen the Unsolved Mysteries rendition of the case and, if so, what do you think of it? Excluding their proposed "solution", I think it was the best thing the show ever did as a presentation. How accurate it is, I can't say.

I wrote an account of the case for America's Most Wanted News Magazine but they ceased publication the month the story was supposed to run and it was never published. The article was about unsolved murders from the 1950s and this case was just one of ten that I included.

The case seems strangely under-covered; for instance, Newton's The Encyclopedia of Unsolved Crimes does not mention it and it's a well done comprehensive work with over 500 entries.

I have it at number 61 on my top 500 unsolved list, right between Starr Faithfull and Mabel Mayer.

There was some suspicion that the assailant was on a motorcycle although that doesn't sound too practical for an abduction. I wonder how far out the lake was searched.

What an interesting case. My first reaction is that the dumped ex husband killed them both. Or, a male relative of mrs hotards. Folks didnt take kindly to adultery back in that day.
And yes, I agree baby number three was the love child.

Welcome, arissachic. I can see the resemblance.

kzk2.jpg

My mother is the third child. She was born December 21, 1955 and was only 11 months old when this crime occurred. I believe she was living with her mom, Audrey, at the time of the crime and then she was raised by distant relatives. From what I remember, my mom told me that her biological mom, Audrey, and her adoptive mom had the same grandparents. She has never had any dealings with the Hotard family.

The resemblance between my mother and Audrey is striking. View attachment 35672

She was always told she was adopted and nothing was kept a secret. I remember as a teenager rummaging through old clippings about the murder and a movie script that her half sister wrote. The lady in the above post is also Audrey's daughter and my mom's half-sister, but I have only met her once when I was very little and my family doesn't have any contact with her.

My brother sent me a link that for a forum that someone posted saying that the babies name was Jacquelyn Hotard. This is the first I have heard that. My mothers first name is Jacquelyn so it is sweet to know that her adoptive parents kept her given name.

Anyway, I came across the post about the DNA test and that was in 2011. I have a call into the LA parish SHeriff's office to see what ever came about with that. Of course my family has their own ideas about what happened but most likely it was just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I can't remember why but both the wife of Mr Hotard and the ex husband were completely ruled out.

It is so sad. She looked so pretty and was just a few years younger than I am now when she died.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to email me at my username above @yahoo.com

Thanks!

arissachic - So happy that you posted here! I have searched high and low for your mother and am so happy that she grew up and had a child of her own! I have spent so many hours searching for her (your mother) hoping that she was ok! I have done lots of research on your family tree and would be so happy to share it with you if you are interested!

Websleuths is a wonderful place! I realize that this is your very first post so, I just want to point out to you that you can get and send PM's (Private Messages) here if you prefer to communicate outside of the public forum.

So happy to hear from you!!!

moo

ETA - Your mother is beautiful; just as Audrey is/was!

I was the one who posted the name of the daughter; it appeared in a newspaper article (1957) that was quoted a few pages back here. I can send you the article if you're interested!

There is an article in the The Odessa American (Odessa, Texas) November 22, 1957 - PAGE 6 that has a lot of additional information that I have not found anywhere else. I cannot link it but I originally found it through ancestry. In it, Audrey's mother (Minnie Smith) states that Audrey had a "nervous breakdown" in 1955 and went to St. Louis for 5 months. When she returned a few days before Christmas of that year, she had a 4-day old baby girl with her. She told her mother that the girl's parents didn't want her and that she was going to adopt her. The article goes on to give much more information but I had never heard mention of this baby girl before that one article.

Has anyone else ever heard this?

The article mentioning the third child's name is in the Odessa American; November 22, 1957. If you google that, the article should come up.

The resemblance between my mother and Audrey is striking. View attachment 35672

Thanks!

Was your mother raised by the "Smiths" or the "Cooks" side of the family? If you would like to know more about either side, I would be happy to share the information that I have!

: )))))

Such good news! You and your mother!

Yes, her maiden name was Smith like her mother. Their first child was born March 4, 1947. Not sure about the second. Her third child was born sometime before Christmas (possibly December 19th to 21rst) of 1955. (The one she told her mother that she was adopting.)

ETA - Audrey and David were divorced in 1954.
December 21rst!

Yes good job on the birthday guess!!!

So my mom (the third child) was raised by relatives of Audrey. I know that by biological grandmother (Minnie Pearl Smith) and my adoptive grandfather were cousins, so she was raised on the Smith side to answer your question below. SHe was essentially shipped off to California to avoid a scandal after the murder. The other 2 children were never involved in my mom's early life. This 'adoption' was all facilitated by my great great aunt Marguerite Roberts, who was a famous Hollywood screen writer. She wrote the original True Grit movie along with some other movies - Dragon Seed is one that comes to mind.

Anyway, no one in the family seems to think that the ex husband nor the wife of Mr Hotard had anything to do with the murders. I still think it is a little far fetched that the bumkins in the bayou who later admitted to killing Audrey had anything to do with it, but who knows. My dad recently visited me and I asked him what he remembered and he said the only thing he recalled was that at the time, my great Aunt Marguerite was being black listed in Hollywood for all of the communism backlash that was going on at the time and that the FBI was somehow involved. This is the first time I had heard that theory.

I need to talk to my mom to see what she thinks and I may be writing out of turn since these are just from what I remember as a kid. SHe does have a copy of the movie script that her half sister, Dekki wrote on the case and I remember reading it a few years ago when I got interested in the case. I found it compelling but not sure if any facts backed it up. Maybe I will get a copy and post it on here but I don't know if that would be a copyright infringement or if I would get in trouble since I didn't write it????

I found her my mom's half sister on Facebook and she had a post in June, so I don't think she has passed from her 'terminal illness' but I have yet to hear from her.

I also have a call into the St Johns Parrish to try and get an update on the remains they suspect may be Audrey's. I will post if and when I hear back. If they need additional DNA samples, they could get it from my mom.

Also, my great uncle, John Sanford, who was the husband of Marguerite wrote several books on our family if anyone is interested. Some were called 'We have a little sister' and Maggie - A Love Story'. They don't mention this case, but just family history in general and about the love story between the two of them. They never had any children of thier own and took a special interest in my mom and my grandparents. But don't buy the book because the royalties don't go to my mom...but that's another story!

That's all I have for now :)

arissachic

brother of Arissachic here,

"arissachic - So happy that you posted here! I have searched high and low for your mother and am so happy that she grew up and had a child of her own!"

our mom had 7 kids total (last 2 being twins). So uh, quite a few of us around now. :)

Ran into this site earlier this week when I was digging around after finding an update made in 2011 on http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Thomas_Hotard_and_Audrey_Moate We didnt know about the finding of the remains. So obviously we are very interested in what the results of that DNA testing were.

Nice to see some interest in all this from you all. I only found out about it few years back myself. Just wasnt really big news.

-Jess

Does anyone have a link or information on the birth certificate for "jacquelyn Hotard"

My mom has never seen her original birth certificate

Thanks!

Arissa

Does anyone have a link or information on the birth certificate for "jacquelyn Hotard"

Thanks!

Arissa

Way back...when I was doing Audrey's tree, I searched high and low for a birth certificate! I will go back and find my research to see what I had found. Was your mother born in Louisianna? I think Audrey may have gone elsewhere to have the baby...

Fascinating case!
So glad to hear the 3rd child is your mother and she's ok.

brother of Arissachic here,

our mom had 7 kids total (last 2 being twins). So uh, quite a few of us around now. :)

Ran into this site earlier this week when I was digging around after finding an update made in 2011 on http://unsolvedmysteries.wikia.com/wiki/Thomas_Hotard_and_Audrey_Moate We didnt know about the finding of the remains. So obviously we are very interested in what the results of that DNA testing were.

Nice to see some interest in all this from you all. I only found out about it few years back myself. Just wasnt really big news.

-Jess

Seven children! Wow! Wonderful! It's so good to have you here!

Thanks!

Arissa
In the Odessa article, Minnie states:

"Well, two days before Christmas Audrey came home with a 4-day old baby girl...The baby's parents didn't want her, Audrey said and she was going to adopt Jacqueline - that's what she called the baby. Mr. Hotard came to see her right away. He wanted to sponsor the adoption and he thought it would be a good idea for Audrey to use his name. So she did."

According to the same article, Audrey had been to St. Louis while she was convalescing, so maybe Jacqueline was born there?

I have searched everywhere for a "Jacqueline Hotard" (with various spellings) born in December, 1955 but I have not been able to find a record for her through ancestry.

"Well, two days before Christmas Audrey came home with a 4-day old baby girl...The baby's parents didn't want her, Audrey said and she was going to adopt Jacqueline - that's what she called the baby. Mr. Hotard came to see her right away. He wanted to sponsor the adoption and he thought it would be a good idea for Audrey to use his name. So she did."

According to the same article, Audrey had been to St. Louis while she was convalescing, so maybe Jacqueline was born there?

I have searched everywhere for a "Jacqueline Hotard" (with various spellings) born in December, 1955 but I have not been able to find a record for her through ancestry.

ETA - It's very difficult to find Jacquelyn's record because Audrey may have filed it with the last name SMITH (LOTS of those), Moate, or Hotard. Or...She might not have filed at all.

moo

Yes, according to the OA article, Audrey had the "nervous breakdown" and went to St. Louis in July 1955. She returned in December with the baby.

Ernesto Acosta is the guy who allegedly confessed to killing Audrey. Caroline F Schloesser is who he was living with (common law I think) at the time. Reportedly, she was a distant relative of either Audrey or Thomas. Her mother was a "Fischer" and there are "Fisher"'s on Audrey's family tree but I haven't been able to make a direct connection as yet.

I can't remember now where I'd read that they were distant relatives but somehow, that came into play in that Caroline potentially "knew" something about Audrey??? Does this possibly make any sense? Maybe she simply knew about Marguerite and the grief she was put through with the "blacklisting"...I don't know but I did read about this somewhere a long time ago.

moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971
Back