LA LA - Audrey Moate, 31, Laplace, 24 Nov 1956

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ernesto Acosta is the guy who allegedly confessed to killing Audrey. Caroline F Schloesser is who he was living with (common law I think) at the time. Reportedly, she was a distant relative of either Audrey or Thomas. Her mother was a "Fischer" and there are "Fisher"'s on Audrey's family tree but I haven't been able to make a direct connection as yet.

I can't remember now where I'd read that they were distant relatives but somehow, that came into play in that Caroline potentially "knew" something about Audrey??? Does this possibly make any sense? Maybe she simply knew about Marguerite and the grief she was put through with the "blacklisting"...I don't know but I did read about this somewhere a long time ago.

moo

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe that the Unsolved Mysteries account mentioned that the two were related in some way. Their motive for the crime was dodgy I thought.

Maybe I'm wrong but I believe that the Unsolved Mysteries account mentioned that the two were related in some way. Their motive for the crime was dodgy I thought.

If I'm remembering correctly, it was Acosta's daughter who said that she'd heard that the two were related. I don't think the show actually confirmed the claim.

Arissachic & Brother,

A December 8, 1956 article in the Baton Rouge, LA Advocate gives your mom's name as "Jacqueline Ieleen Moate."

The middle name might be a typo for "Eileen" but I'd suggest that y'all and Pink Panther look for birth certificates under both spellings because Googling "Ieleen" brings up 53,600 hits. And check variant spellings for Jacqueline.

Update: Just found an online November 26, 2001 news article from a LaPlace, LA newspaper, L'Observateur which quotes interviews with several people, including your mom's half-sister, Dekki Moate, who lives/lived in San Francisco, CA.

It gives your mom's name as: "Jacqueline Eileen Hotard," born in Our Lady of the Lake Hospital in Baton Rouge, LA. Here's the link:
http://www.lobservateur.com/news/swamp-mystery-still-fascinates/article_fe3fdb47-9781-533d-b7eb-56bc376b0cb8.html

The sentence that starts: "Hotard worked with General Electric" is a typo. It should be Moate worked with ...

Good luck!
JWD

It's a bit uncanny that she was born on November 24th and disappeared on the very same day and neither the media covering her disappearance nor the police mention this???

According to newspaper accounts, Audrey and Hotard always got together on Saturdays. How sad now to think how happy she must have been in 1956 when her birthday fell on a Saturday that year--happy she'd be able to celebrate it with her lover.

A sad coincidence if killed by a stranger. If Audrey and Hotard were murdered by someone who knew her well enough to know her birthday, it's evidence of a cold, calculating mind and heart. Unfortunately, the list of people that knew Audrey's birthday could be quite long--family, friends, neighbors, co-workers (office workers often take up a collection to buy a joint birthday gift), her car insurance agent, health insurance agent, beautician (if she had one).

The media might not have known Audrey's birthday (how would they obtain that?). The police always hold back one or two bits of info in an investigation to weed out false confessors and to help build their case against a particular person. Her birthday and probable death date being the same might have been one of those things.

Results of my research conducted last night & this morning:

In July of 2013 Audrey's daughter, Dekki (dad-George Moate), was still living in Missoula, Montana. She has been cancer free for about 8 months.

Feel free to PM me for fuller details.

Best,
JWD

Wow how absolutely amazing that Arissachic and her brother found this thread and were able to let us know what happened to their mother, Audrey's third child. It just goes to show that WS really does make a difference in these cases!

When I first read the details of the crime scene where TH's body was found and where what we assume to be AM's footprints could be seen heading into the woods as if she was running, followed by a set of man's boot prints, it gave me chills and I felt like I was reading the script of a horror movie. Was her lover killed by someone she was familiar with or by a stranger? Did he catch her and abduct her and kill her or did she manage to escape? Was it Audrey who made that call to Minnie and who was identified by not just 1 but 2 waitresses...if so how did she manage to get there? If she escaped TH's killer, how did she make it all the way to another town to place that phone call? Surely she must have hitch hiked or been picked up by someone because from what I understand, any money or belongings she had on her were left scattered by the crime scene. But over the years no one has come forward to say they spotted a lady fitting AM's description in the days/weeks/months/years following her disappearance apart from those 2 waitresses mentioned above.

Audrey sounds like a loving mother, and as previously mentioned in another post she was ahead of her time. From what I can gather she quite clearly gave birth to her lover's child and even in an era where it was virtually unheard of and severely looked down upon, she managed to cover her tracks and come up with a story that allowed her to keep her beloved third child and even have her lover (the child's father) GM play a part in the baby's life. I find it hard to believe that such a mother would not do absolutely everything she could to make it back to her children if she was alive and able to do so, no matter how long it took.

I just really hope that one day soon there can be a resolve in this case after all this time, to provide answers to Audrey's beloved children and family.

There seemed to be a lot of hunters about where they were parked. I can almost imagine a couple of teenage/early 20s males coming up on them and doing something stupid before they took the time to think.

She apparently has a headstone waiting for her if she's found.

www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=108018482

Now that is very strange Standreid. I believe that Audrey's birthday was November 24, 1925 and she disappeared on November 24, 1956…This gravestone lists her birthdate as November 25, 1925 and where does the December 5th date come from?

The dates on this gravestone don't match up??? I'm quite confused by this. Also - why would this be located in Coos County, Oregon???

Don't know:dunno:

It's on ancestry dot com as well and I KNOW it hasn't been there very long. It's really strange. I'll do some searching when I get a chance to see if there are other Audrey Moate's…But the dates are uncanny!

Arissachic & Brother,

A December 8, 1956 article in the Baton Rouge, LA Advocate gives your mom's name as "Jacqueline Ieleen Moate."

The middle name might be a typo for "Eileen" but I'd suggest that y'all and Pink Panther look for birth certificates under both spellings because Googling "Ieleen" brings up 53,600 hits. And check variant spellings for Jacqueline.

Update: Just found an online November 26, 2001 news article from a LaPlace, LA newspaper, L'Observateur which quotes interviews with several people, including your mom's half-sister, Dekki Moate, who lives/lived in San Francisco, CA.

It gives your mom's name as: "Jacqueline Eileen Hotard," born in Our Lady of the Lake Hospital in Baton Rouge, LA. Here's the link:
http://www.lobservateur.com/news/swamp-mystery-still-fascinates/article_fe3fdb47-9781-533d-b7eb-56bc376b0cb8.html

The sentence that starts: "Hotard worked with General Electric" is a typo. It should be Moate worked with ...

Good luck!
JWD

See this quote in JWD's article listed above. I'm sorry if I've created confusion. I hadn't "taken in" this part of the article. It seems that the gravestone was erected by Dekki. This still doesn't explain the dates but at least we know the provenance.

"In later years, Dekki Moate erected a tombstone in a cemetery in Coquille, Ore., more as peace of mind for her grandmother, then living nearby."

I noticed something else in that article:

"Later that morning, a hunter, Jack Monteret of LaPlace, and his 15-year-old son, Dave, noticed the car and noticed the couple sitting in the car. He later told police he didn't approach any closer than 150 feet and kept going.
Still later, at about 10:30 a.m., Monteret saw the car again but didn't see anyone. The following morning, he returned to the area, and again saw the car. He walked up to the car this time and saw Hotard's partially-dressed body in the back seat, a shotgun wound in the back of his head."

There's a guy in the Odessa article (with picture) named Henry Monaret.

A bit of a coincidence perhaps worth looking into...

Dekki probably had limited access to records and just got the dates off a bit. Maybe December 5 was the date a missing person's report was filed - just a guess. I think December 6 was the date that the relative got the supposed call from "Audrey".

Hotard's gravestone says he died on November 25 which I assume is when he was pronounced dead even though he almost certainly died the day before.

Something is actually fishy with this case and things don't add up. Like my theory in this case is that:
I believe Thomas Hotard's wife Blanche is behind this and killed Audrey Moate and threw her body into the ocean.
And goes on to be Mrs. Audrey Hotard instead of Thomas's wife OR Caroline Schloesser is actually Audrey Moate

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back