LA LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know why I’ve never heard of Annandale Jane Doe. I love this woman. She even left money for her cremation. I can tell she was a wonderful person, just tired of living. Makes me happy and sad at the same time.

Yes, I think she got what she wanted. I'm sorry she felt like she had to make that choice, but I wasn't in her shoes. I hope she's resting in peace.

One thing I've found in all the cases I've followed here is that many many people are looking for loved ones who have been missing a very long time but haven't been able to locate them. The reasons are myriad:

In 1975 it was hard to keep track of people. We only had land lines and the post office. If somebody was on the road, they had to find change for a pay phone, or call collect, and if the party being called wasn't home, there weren't answering machines or services to leave a message.

In 1975 police often dismissed reports of teenage runaways unless there was clear evidence of foul play. If they did take a report, they often closed it when the teenager reached adulthood.

In 1975 families were still fracturing over the counterculture issues. His writing seems to hint at either mental illness or sexual orientation issues; he could have been thrown out by a rigid family. They might have regretted it right away but not been able to find him. Or he might have left because he feared he wouldn't be accepted even if it wasn't true.

Even if he was reported missing and family has been looking for him constantly, there are so many logistical issues. A family from far away might not even think of looking in a swamp in Louisiana.

It's so sad and so difficult.
True. But still, it’s strange.

I spoke to the detective assigned to the case of Cousins in Virginia Beach today. She seemed pretty excited and said she would let me know if she can make a connection. As far as she knows, it is the only lead they have gotten on the case in the 40 years since he went missing. He has a sister and aunt still living, so I hope they will be able to confirm or deny, if no other means exists to do so.

The detective told me that missing persons records in VB only go back to '78. However she came across a reference to him and located the surviving family members who confirmed that he is still missing. So she created the profile, and that is why no information existed about Cousins online until recently.

Also he had graduated from the University of Virginia the prior spring, 1974. That is a very good school and in my opinion could account for the high aptitude of the young man as apparent from the suicide note. It would also explain his particular despondence concerning the last year of his life....his failure to accomplish anything or make connections with friends or family...since that was his first year out of college when expectations for life are normally high.

In my research it seems that his mother died 2.5 years ago into her '90s. His father was retired Navy and his parents are buried at Arlington. I could see where they had lived in CA, VA and FL. Although I found no record of it in my brief search, as speculated earlier maybe his father had been stationed in LA and that is why he returned there. Or maybe he just wanted to get somewhere that nobody who have a clue who he was.

Ironically, if it is him and he is identified, it will be because of the letter that generated interest in his case, the same letter in which he begged to remain nameless.

Above rbbm

Could there be any signifiance to this in relation to Bayard Cousins? Perhaps his Navy retired father is a relative to Linda "Cousin" (no ending "s" on the name) Myers? I did a brief search for these notable people but found nothing, though I'm not the best at searching. :oops::confused: Maybe an ancestry search would bring up something?

Belle Chasse, Louisiana - Wikipedia
Notable people (section)
George and Linda “Cousin” Meyers, Former Air Force Pilot and school teacher who founded Cook in Tuscany and La Chiusa in Tuscany, Italy

Wow. I really do think there is a good chance Cousins is our UID.
This case is getting crazier and crazier. I live in Virginia Beach.
I take it there’s no DNA of our Doe to compare?
I live in VB too. I found Bayard's sister on Facebook but I don't feel like I should make contact when there is no DNA from the Belle Chasse Doe for her DNA to be compared.

I live in VB too. I found Bayard's sister on Facebook but I don't feel like I should make contact when there is no DNA from the Belle Chasse Doe for her DNA to be compared.
Well I mean, you could. She has more info and I don’t think it’ll do any harm. After all those years I assume you’ve lost most hope. But I get your caution. Maybe contact the police first?

Well I mean, you could. She has more info and I don’t think it’ll do any harm. After all those years I assume you’ve lost most hope. But I get your caution. Maybe contact the police first?
I would love to know if the VB detective that @pass-thru spoke with followed up on the tip. I could try to talk to detective on the case and see if they've attempted contact, or would be willing to reach out to his sister. She doesn't live here anymore but LE could easily make a phone call.
I've always wondered if they still have the suicide note. If they do, maybe the handwriting can be compared to something written by Bayard.

Hi everyone, new to WS and have just stumbled on this case last night while procrastinating studying for my finals. Have enjoyed reading everyone's theories and input so far, and agree that Bayard Cousins is perhaps the most likely fit for the BCJD.

While this does not necessarily add anything to the case, but just had a thought with regards to the letter which JD had left, specifically the portion to the police. He says 'I implore you to see a psychiatrist in order that you might understand my death and my life.'
This puzzles and confuses me. How would a psychiatrist be able to give any more specific information based on the rather general information that BCJD has given? He has committed suicide, and from the extracts of the letter I have been able to see, he seems to have suffered from depression at least. To me, that alone which we have seen of the letter does not seem that a psychiatrist would be able to give further insight for understanding. Unless he has mentioned anything else earlier in the letter which specifies his condition? Is there a more complete copy of the letter somewhere that we can access for more context?

Apologies as this may all ultimately be irrelevant to finding his identity, but it would be interesting to know more on this issue.

Hi everyone, new to WS and have just stumbled on this case last night while procrastinating studying for my finals. Have enjoyed reading everyone's theories and input so far, and agree that Bayard Cousins is perhaps the most likely fit for the BCJD.

While this does not necessarily add anything to the case, but just had a thought with regards to the letter which JD had left, specifically the portion to the police. He says 'I implore you to see a psychiatrist in order that you might understand my death and my life.'
This puzzles and confuses me. How would a psychiatrist be able to give any more specific information based on the rather general information that BCJD has given? He has committed suicide, and from the extracts of the letter I have been able to see, he seems to have suffered from depression at least. To me, that alone which we have seen of the letter does not seem that a psychiatrist would be able to give further insight for understanding. Unless he has mentioned anything else earlier in the letter which specifies his condition? Is there a more complete copy of the letter somewhere that we can access for more context?

Apologies as this may all ultimately be irrelevant to finding his identity, but it would be interesting to know more on this issue.
Hi there Pippy! Welcome! :) & Good luck on those finals!
I may be mistaken, but I believe that the portion of the letter in which he talks about the psychiatrist was in the section addressed "To Mom and Dad"

(…)

I am no longer interested in the world and know that it is not interested in me. When you stop growing you are dead. I stopped growing long ago. I never did develop into a real person and I cannot tolerate the false and empty existence I have created.

(…)

I feel I have acted very methodically and coolly in my action and my words. It is best if I cease to live, quietly, than risk that later I will break and shatter by violence or linger years under care. I implore you to see a psychiatrist in order that you might understand my death and my life. Ask thoroughly about what I was and you will see that it is not tragic that I am gone but more natural than if I continued.”

I do not think that the full suicide note has ever been released, and there is no DNA available because the body has been ultimately lost.

Have you considered his shoes not being there because someone stole them? I know it sounds grim, but maybe a homeless person found him and decided they'd take them? Maybe there's no use to dig so hard into the meaning of this. MOO
while there could be an unrelated reason for him not having shoes near his body
I personally find it very hard to believe that a homeless man could have stumbled upon the body and stolen the shoes. The area is rather rural and spread out.

Hi there Pippy! Welcome! :) & Good luck on those finals!
I may be mistaken, but I believe that the portion of the letter in which he talks about the psychiatrist was in the section addressed "To Mom and Dad"

(…)

I am no longer interested in the world and know that it is not interested in me. When you stop growing you are dead. I stopped growing long ago. I never did develop into a real person and I cannot tolerate the false and empty existence I have created.

(…)

I feel I have acted very methodically and coolly in my action and my words. It is best if I cease to live, quietly, than risk that later I will break and shatter by violence or linger years under care. I implore you to see a psychiatrist in order that you might understand my death and my life. Ask thoroughly about what I was and you will see that it is not tragic that I am gone but more natural than if I continued.”

I do not think that the full suicide note has ever been released, and there is no DNA available because the body has been ultimately lost.
I wonder if he was considering that whomever finds him see a psychiatrist. Like acknowledging that it probably would be traumatic to discover a body.

I always wondered if he aimed to keep himself anonymous and was actually from somewhere else. I know his letter mentions 'Mom and Dad' but you'd think he would have been ID's if they were local.

while there could be an unrelated reason for him not having shoes near his body
I personally find it very hard to believe that a homeless man could have stumbled upon the body and stolen the shoes. The area is rather rural and spread out.

Oh, in that case it seems dumb, my bad. Sorry, I have no idea how the area looks. It was just my guess, since I heard about these things happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danajune79