LA LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that Bayard Cousins remains the strongest possibility for this Doe’s identity. Because BCJD’s body cannot be recovered, and because any other physical evidence was supposedly lost with Katrina as well, the usual dental, fingerprint or DNA comparisons cannot be made.
Does anyone know if any or all of Belle Chase’s actual suicide note was ever photographed for any of the contemporaneous newspaper articles? In its original handwritten form? If so, I wonder if the Cousins family had a chance to compare the handwriting of the jarred note with Bayard’s? Last I read it was just his sister and aunt surviving. I don’t know how old his sister was when Bayard left home, but looking back 50 years in my own life, I feel certain that I would recognize my older’s brother’s handwriting.
Even if the handwritten note was not photographed, perhaps a certified graphologist might be able to do a stylistic comparison of the two writing styles to look for similarities in grammar, word choices, etc. It would not be definitive as physical proof, but perhaps could offer something, one way or the other to a searching family.

It seems if Bayard's sister ever googled his name, she must have come across this thread. It seems she would probably have an intuition knowing her brother, if this is him based on the facts and circumstances known.
His mother died just a few years ago.
Several years ago when I did the deep dive into Bayard and this case, there were still several members of the family funeral home where BCJD was buried, that were still involved with the family business. Given all the press and length of time the body was at the home, it seemed one of them would be the only of finding the grave if they remembered the cemetery and location of the burial, or if the funeral home had such records independent of the government. I never heard back from the Virginia Beach detective on the case as to whether she followed up on those leads.

It seems if Bayard's sister ever googled his name, she must have come across this thread. It seems she would probably have an intuition knowing her brother, if this is him based on the facts and circumstances known.
His mother died just a few years ago.
Several years ago when I did the deep dive into Bayard and this case, there were still several members of the family funeral home where BCJD was buried, that were still involved with the family business. Given all the press and length of time the body was at the home, it seemed one of them would be the only of finding the grave if they remembered the cemetery and location of the burial, or if the funeral home had such records independent of the government. I never heard back from the Virginia Beach detective on the case as to whether she followed up on those leads.
Hello Pass-
You did amazingly thorough work back in 2014-15 asking the investigators on Bayard Cousin’s case to look into BCJD. How frustrating that you never heard back from them to learn if they ever followed up on your funeral home tip.
I’d like to know your current thinking. At the time you declined to contact the funeral home directly because you didn’t want to interfere in any active investigation. Do you still hold that position?
Also, what is your gut feeling on the status of Bayard’s investigation?
Do you believe that the caseworkers have served the family well and provided them all available information about a possible match with BCJD?
If so, can we conclude that the Cousins family has outright rejected the possibility of a match, based perhaps on information that we are not privy to?
The fact that his case remains open would support this.

My thoughts keep returning to Bayard’s family.
Could it possibly be more comforting for them not to know the fate of their missing son? Even if they recognized the possibility of a match, the fact that physical corroboration cannot be made with BCJD allows them to continue with their belief that Bayard is still alive.
I have much more speculative thoughts on this possible match, but would really like to hear what you have to say. Cheers!

The funeral home would not be at liberty to discuss any burial information with anybody not in law enforcement due to privacy concerns.
State law enforcement officers need permission to investigate in a different jurisdiction and especially in a different state. I don't know but suspect that is the reason the Virginia Beach detective probably never got anywhere tracing leads in LA. I don't know how far she got but I suspect there was no interest down there in cooperating on a missing persons case from out of state, with no body and just a 40 year old news article to provide information. I could be wrong though.
Also, she definitely had been in contact with the surviving members of the Cousins family, especially since the missing persons case had just been opened or reopened a couple years earlier. As I never heard back I don't know if she shared the article with them. That would seem to be a very difficult decision either way and would probably depend on the rapport they had previously established. The detective seemed very excited and motivated at first conversation. We talked a few times and I sent her what I had. I emailed a follow several months later and didn't get a response so it was obvious there would be no feedback on progress or lack thereof.

The funeral home would not be at liberty to discuss any burial information with anybody not in law enforcement due to privacy concerns.
State law enforcement officers need permission to investigate in a different jurisdiction and especially in a different state. I don't know but suspect that is the reason the Virginia Beach detective probably never got anywhere tracing leads in LA. I don't know how far she got but I suspect there was no interest down there in cooperating on a missing persons case from out of state, with no body and just a 40 year old news article to provide information. I could be wrong though.
Also, she definitely had been in contact with the surviving members of the Cousins family, especially since the missing persons case had just been opened or reopened a couple years earlier. As I never heard back I don't know if she shared the article with them. That would seem to be a very difficult decision either way and would probably depend on the rapport they had previously established. The detective seemed very excited and motivated at first conversation. We talked a few times and I sent her what I had. I emailed a follow several months later and didn't get a response so it was obvious there would be no feedback on progress or lack thereof.
Thank you Pass-
I appreciate your responsiveness and dedication. Your answers give me better insight into procedures and protocol, as well as some important history with this case.
Wishing peace to all.

Did the police ever release a copy of the note to show his handwriting?

I am pleased to see renewed interest in this case. It has been on my mind often during the years since I first posted this on Websleuths.

I have never found a copy of the handwritten note, but it had been a while since I’ve searched so I’ll give it another try.

The Plaquemines Parish LE no longer have any records regarding this suicide. I spoke to them shortly after Hurricane Katrina so everyone was quite busy. As I recall, they told me the body had been cremated.

Since so much time has passed since my last call, I’d be happy to call again and try to get more info, but I really don’t feel that will accomplish much since no records exist.

I know some of us believe Bayard Cousins could be this poor young suicide victim. However, I don’t believe he is. Let me explain.

I have looked at what few photos I could find of Bayard Cousins, and I agree there is a superficial resemblance. However, I noted that he did not appear to have “slightly protruding upper front teeth” which the suicide victim had based on the article linked below.

belle chasse john doe 02151975-tp-a.JPG

Also, Bayard wore glasses. There were no glasses found on or near our suicide victim.

According to NAMUS, Bayard had hazel eyes. Our young man had brown eyes.

Bayard was 6’2”-6’3” tall. Our suicide victim was 6’ tall.

From what I have read, Bayard’s parents stated there were no problems with him prior to his disappearance. From reading our victim’s suicide note, it is hard for me to believe he did not display at least a little troubled behavior. JMO.

Our victim stated:

"I was born with a definite pervasive melancholy . . .what frustrated me most in the last year was that I had built no ties to family or friends. There was nothing of lasting worth and value. I led a detached existence and I was a parody of a person - literally and figuratively. I didn't tell jokes - I was a joke".

Bayard was reportedly an ecology activist, which to me indicates he had a calling or purpose to his life. Not so with our victim.

It is my strong belief there are more differences than there are similarities between these two young men.

I sure look forward to reading your comments.

I know some of us believe Bayard Cousins could be this poor young suicide victim. However, I don’t believe he is. Let me explain.

I have looked at what few photos I could find of Bayard Cousins, and I agree there is a superficial resemblance. However, I noted that he did not appear to have “slightly protruding upper front teeth” which the suicide victim had based on the article linked below.

belle chasse john doe 02151975-tp-a.JPG

Also, Bayard wore glasses. There were no glasses found on or near our suicide victim.

According to NAMUS, Bayard had hazel eyes. Our young man had brown eyes.

Bayard was 6’2”-6’3” tall. Our suicide victim was 6’ tall.

From what I have read, Bayard’s parents stated there were no problems with him prior to his disappearance. From reading our victim’s suicide note, it is hard for me to believe he did not display at least a little troubled behavior. JMO.

Our victim stated:

"I was born with a definite pervasive melancholy . . .what frustrated me most in the last year was that I had built no ties to family or friends. There was nothing of lasting worth and value. I led a detached existence and I was a parody of a person - literally and figuratively. I didn't tell jokes - I was a joke".

Bayard was reportedly an ecology activist, which to me indicates he had a calling or purpose to his life. Not so with our victim.

It is my strong belief there are more differences than there are similarities between these two young men.

I sure look forward to reading your comments.

Bayard graduated the same high school/ graduating class as my parents and I have a photo of him from their yearbook. I actually think his front teeth do protrude a bit just like BC John Doe (although it does look like he might be wearing a retainer or braces in this photo.) I hope it's ok I'm uploading this photo. I blurred out the person next to him.
IMG_20191014_144846.jpg

Bayard graduated the same high school/ graduating class as my parents and I have a photo of him from their yearbook. I actually think his front teeth do protrude a bit just like BC John Doe (although it does look like he might be wearing a retainer or braces in this photo.) I hope it's ok I'm uploading this photo. I blurred out the person next to him.
View attachment 209005

Thanks for the photo! I don’t really see a protrusion, but others may have better eyes than I do.

I sure wish there was more info about Bayard.

His teeth look like they protrude to me. It was the first thing that I noticed about him.

I always find it interesting how intelligent people can look at a picture and not see the same thing.:)

It certainly is frustrating how little we know about Cousins.

ETA: In reading over my post, I’m afraid it might sound a little snarky. I certainly don’t mean it that way and really appreciate the views of everyone on this thread.

View attachment 209005
So I looked for more photos of Bayard Cousins in their yearbooks and I'll try to post them along with the original. I think it's sad his name is misspelled multiple times in what was their senior yearbook.
1970BayardCousins.jpg 1970BayardCousins02 .jpg 1970BayardCousins03.jpg
1969BayardCousins.jpg 1969BayardCousins2.jpg

Last edited:
So I looked for more photos of Bayard Cousins in their yearbooks and I'll try to post them along with the original. I think it's sad his name is misspelled multiple times in what was their senior yearbook.
View attachment 209081 View attachment 209087 View attachment 209088
View attachment 209091 View attachment 209090

Thanks! In one of the photos I can see what might be slightly protruding front teeth.

He does somewhat resemble the sketch LE provided of our suicide victim.

The difference in eye color, height and age still makes me feel this is not be a match. The height, in particular, makes me think Cousins is not this victim. He was 2-3 inches taller than our young man. I don’t feel LE would have been off by 2-3 inches when measuring John Doe’s body. JMO.

But I’m no longer 100% sure . . .

One final thought for tonight. John Doe’s pants bore a cleaning number DD44. I don’t know how many cleaners existed in/near Virginia Beach in 1975, but I wonder if it might be able to confirm whether any of them used a “DD” cleaning number. If so, that would be pretty good confirmation that Cousins is our John Doe.

That would probably be a lot of work, though.

By the way, photo 2 of 5 above (thanks, Sweetsbeach!) really DOES resemble the sketch of John Doe. Same square chin.

Last edited:
Tomorrow I’ll contact a librarian in Virginia Beach and see if they can find a 1975 listing for a dry cleaners with initials DD. Probably a long shot.

Good night all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member