VERDICT WATCH MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaking Prisoner who escaped from Dedham District court moments ago is now back in custody after racing through the crowd of Karen Read supporters camped outside superior court and still waiting for a verdict

Last edited:
This might seem like a moot question at this point. But if KR is found guilty, would she still be free on bond until sentencing? Or would she go directly from the courthouse into jail? Not sure if it is just judge's discretion or if there is a certain way it is done in Mass.

Deeply held convictions might be:

1) LE can make mistakes, investigations can be shoddy, but believing LE would conspire and PLANT evidence is unreasonable.

2) Science and qualified experts are most important in determining the truth.

Either (or others) might be impacting the jury?

Unless she continues to drink and drive…..
I think the Commonwealth made a mistake by not charging KR with simple DUI. That would be a slam dunk guilty verdict. At least then the jury might feel like they're punishing her for "something" rather than just letting her walk free. But to have the DUI charge wrapped in with the homicide charge makes it harder for jury IMO.

I agree, to a point. There have been “verdict watchers” in front of courthouses for years. Usually, they don’t affect the jury, because the jurors don’t come in through the front of the courthouses. They use a side or back door.
It has to be tough for anyone else who has to walk by them every day. Our constitution gives the protesters the right to be there. Depending on which side you’re on,
G or NG, those protesters either prop you up or tear you down.
If you had a loved one on trial for murder, how would you feel about the “lock her up” crowd?

Just noting too that there is mitigation in place to keep the jury away from seeing and hearing the protestors. I think it's unlikely they would be influenced all other things being equal (jurors not consuming media about case in their downtime and not telling judge etc ).

I think the Commonwealth made a mistake by not charging KR with simple DUI. That would be a slam dunk guilty verdict. At least then the jury might feel like they're punishing her for "something" rather than just letting her walk free. But to have the DUI charge wrapped in with the homicide charge makes it harder for jury IMO.
Totally agree.

The alternate theory proposed by the defense is the literal definition of a conspiracy. It's not a word that is bandied about, it is an accurate use of the term.

Yes thanks @bedbug - I did not state my point clearly - my apologies - my point is really about optics - Of course that's the literal definition
So I will try again
There are also other less dramatic words than conspiracy that also describe the same thing.
The word conspiracy is often prefaced with vast in reference to this case and its like a literal talking point that's been handed out IMO because its used in lock step across all platforms. Very cloak and dagger.
Why not say a group of peoplle collaberated/colluded or got together and cooked up this plan ....or as I say, went about their business as usual.
Those descriptions are not nearly as dramatic and cloak and daggerish IMO
When people conspire... well that to me has a mystery and is cloaked in intrigue. Its less believable and makes you even roll your eyes
What happened here is just what happens everyday in America - people set up other people to take the fall.
No mystery, no cloak and dagger and very believable
It's just every day life coming at you
IMO.

I don't think any of those poor people are in a happy place right now. :(
can you imagine for those that are feeling the CW did not prove this base beyond a reasonable doubt how they are feeling as they leave today having spent the last 2 months ++ on the case and no verdict...and possibly the trial might be repeated.

Law and Crime interviewing people in both camps outside courthouse. Some expressing "love" for Karen depsite not really even knowing her. They all seem like groupies that found a cause. Apparently they have a lot of spare time. Describe the feeling as being part of a family. I find it all a bit extreme. I follow a case but sure don't fall in love with the defendant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamieleeds