LA LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Write Michael Nance for LA cases, we wait and hope!

Good evening I am writing to you from Italy, I am a member of the Websleuths and Crimewatchers forums; I wanted to point out with this link that this UID case is not yet in the Namus database; I hope it will be in the database soon, or to hear from her. Kind regards from Italy, Ivan.

Plaquemines Parish John Doe (1975)

HI Romulus

If you look back in the thread, you'll see I pointed this out several times. Nobody is looking for our UID and the person some feel is most likely the UID is Bayard Cousins.

This is the only other profile that comes near this UID.

This is the problem with case, nobody is looking for the UID there is no case open for him. Also, nobody is looking for Bayard Cousins, there is no obituary for him, however there was a death date given as 2010 on family search. Bayard's parents believed he had predeceased them and said so in their obituaries. They are a few pages back. From the funeral home, there was a page that someone noted who came to try to identify the UID.

Near the beginning of the thread someone stated that a Lea from another county/parish had sent the Sheriff of Plaquemines parish a file on a missing boy. It was then agreed that this was the UID and the case was effectively closed. It is my opinion that Katrina destroyed part of the file but not all of it and when they were switching these old cases to digital they saw half the file was gone and somebody put it up somewhere...... Because otherwise how did it get here? At some stage there was a page for him somewhere and it wasn't doubled to NAMUS. Good to see you, hope we get some answers.

HI Romulus

If you look back in the thread, you'll see I pointed this out several times. Nobody is looking for our UID and the person some feel is most likely the UID is Bayard Cousins.

This is the only other profile that comes near this UID.

This is the problem with case, nobody is looking for the UID there is no case open for him. Also, nobody is looking for Bayard Cousins, there is no obituary for him, however there was a death date given as 2010 on family search. Bayard's parents believed he had predeceased them and said so in their obituaries. They are a few pages back. From the funeral home, there was a page that someone noted who came to try to identify the UID.

Near the beginning of the thread someone stated that a Lea from another county/parish had sent the Sheriff of Plaquemines parish a file on a missing boy. It was then agreed that this was the UID and the case was effectively closed. It is my opinion that Katrina destroyed part of the file but not all of it and when they were switching these old cases to digital they saw half the file was gone and somebody put it up somewhere...... Because otherwise how did it get here? At some stage there was a page for him somewhere and it wasn't doubled to NAMUS. Good to see you, hope we get some answers.

Yes I have read the whole thread of this case, but I have seen that no one has sent the request to enter this UID in Namus to the UID case manager for Louisiana; it is truly amazing how these cases are abandoned and forgotten.

Reading the suicide note, he talks of a detachment with people, however, he is concerned enough with wanting his parents to think he is missing, and not dead by suicide. He talks of his parents providing...this leads me to think that they cared, and would have filed a missing persons report. So, just maybe, his is listed as a missing person...but since 1975, why no connection made!?

Does anyone know if there was much of a homeless population in that area at that time? If there was, maybe he didn't look so strange in his odd clothes with no shoes and a bedsheet. I work in a downtown area where it wouldn't be uncommon on any given day to see someone dressed the way he was and perhaps carrying a sheet or blankets. It's very heartbreaking, really. I wonder if people did see this young man but perhaps his appearance wasn't so out of the ordinary. They may have just passed on by him and not checked to see if he was ok. It can be very difficult to try to persuade someone living on the streets to seek shelter (I know; some of my office mates and I talked a number of times with a woman who would camp out next to our building and so did a lot of other concerned residents because we were afraid she'd freeze to death) and it could be that people just turned their heads and walked on past him, not realizing he was in crisis and about to commit suicide. It's so sad to think about. Maybe one kind word from someone would have made a difference.

Reading the suicide note, he talks of a detachment with people, however, he is concerned enough with wanting his parents to think he is missing, and not dead by suicide. He talks of his parents providing...this leads me to think that they cared, and would have filed a missing persons report. So, just maybe, his is listed as a missing person...but since 1975, why no connection made!?
His parents also could have been denied a missing report if he was over 18 with authorities using the "he's an adult he can disappear or not contact family if he wants". If he was a teen he could have been written off as a runaway then his casefile purged when he turned 18 years old. There could have also been a jurisdiction roadblock for the parents reporting him if he was known to travel like in Grateful Doe's case.

I feel that it is a possibility that the police know who this person is, but do not release his identity because of his letter and asking for himself to be "cremated as a john doe." It is a (HIGHLY unlikely) possibiliy that his parents anded up cremating him and just releasing the other part of the information annonymously.

So very sad...
But, I do wonder, how did this young man get to the spot he was at without being noticed? He was dressed in a mismatched outfit/socks with no shoes carrying a jar and bedsheet.

I’m not sure what the area is like, but in Toronto if you appear ‘homeless’ or in crisis, or ‘off’, you’re invisible. It’s terrible, but unfortunately true.

My friend took her life years ago. This case stays with me because her suicide notes are similar to this John Doe. I’ve read many notes after her death, I immersed myself in the topic. This is the first time I found a letter like this that is alike in many ways. (Maybe in life they were similar as well.)

I think the parents did file a missing person’s report. At that time it may have stayed in one police station and little effort was made to find him. (Maybe a repeat runaway, or he was an adult.)

He likely left a note at home that said: don’t search for me, let me go. And gave few details. Maybe a ruse: I’ve gone of to:______.

I think the parents stayed vigilant and he guessed that they would. They may have heard of his death and the note. By not stepping forward, they honoured his last wishes, and could turn away from a hotly painful reality. Possibly it was denial.

Or maybe they had reasons to stop searching and didn’t know (illness, demanding jobs, other children needing attention). Maybe at some point you have to give up in order to save yourself or your family at home.

After my friend’s death, some days I’d tell myself she was just on vacation in order to get through a long workday where grief would interfere with my state of mind and affect my job performance. (I’m at peace now with what she did, and her memory brings me joy.)

We all lose people, I imagine losing a child is the worst pain. Out of my losses my friend’s suicide took the most work for me to recover from.

I appreciate the work everyone has put into naming this John Doe. I think he should get his name back.

I’m not sure what the area is like, but in Toronto if you appear ‘homeless’ or in crisis, or ‘off’, you’re invisible. It’s terrible, but unfortunately true.

My friend took her life years ago. This case stays with me because her suicide notes are similar to this John Doe. I’ve read many notes after her death, I immersed myself in the topic. This is the first time I found a letter like this that is alike in many ways. (Maybe in life they were similar as well.)

I think the parents did file a missing person’s report. At that time it may have stayed in one police station and little effort was made to find him. (Maybe a repeat runaway, or he was an adult.)

He likely left a note at home that said: don’t search for me, let me go. And gave few details. Maybe a ruse: I’ve gone of to:______.

I think the parents stayed vigilant and he guessed that they would. They may have heard of his death and the note. By not stepping forward, they honoured his last wishes, and could turn away from a hotly painful reality. Possibly it was denial.

Or maybe they had reasons to stop searching and didn’t know (illness, demanding jobs, other children needing attention). Maybe at some point you have to give up in order to save yourself or your family at home.

After my friend’s death, some days I’d tell myself she was just on vacation in order to get through a long workday where grief would interfere with my state of mind and affect my job performance. (I’m at peace now with what she did, and her memory brings me joy.)

We all lose people, I imagine losing a child is the worst pain. Out of my losses my friend’s suicide took the most work for me to recover from.

I appreciate the work everyone has put into naming this John Doe. I think he should get his name back.
It's very interesting you mention the topic of suicide notes Lexi. We know he was buried and we know the cemetery, the problem is getting LE to go to his family (and we are 50% sure they are his people) and take DNA to compare with our boy. As was mentioned above, there is no crime to solve so its not a priority.

So, we do have a body and we know where it is, plus minus, and we know which family to test.

But besides that, the evidence gets scarce because we don't know where it's being kept or even if it still exists. We could not trace the sheet. The clothes we traced back to a brand name in the 70s.

And then we have the note. We don't know if it still exists. However, failing all else, I have thought about that note and what it could reveal. So I'm glad I'm not the weird one and that this is an actual topic. If you could post links to helpful forums or sites, I would be most grateful.

I have what is reprinted in this thread of his note in my notebook, so I would like to go to these forums and ask them if they can geographically place his state of origin or education based on the language he used in his note.

If he comes from Virginia Beach even probably, it would take us a step closer to saying, ok it's this guy, or it's not.

I don't know if people can do that but if you point me in the right direction, I'll try.

In answer to your speculation on homelessness, this was premeditated, not in the spur of the moment and our boy is intelligent and mature for his age. He planned this. He didn't hitch hike, he had transport. He knew where he was going (persimone tree specifically) he would have saved money for this.

I think he ran out of money, and then walked into the woods from the motel which was close by. The only question then is, why did he not take his life immediately upon arrival? Cold feet gives me 2+2=5, not in his personality, but that is just MO......... MHO

That note certainly reads like the kind of thing an intelligent kid from a high-priced prep school would have written in 1975.
RSBM
I agree. Having been in such an environment around that time, there were several students I knew who could have written such a note. There are several prep boarding schools around the southeast. A boarding school might explain the distant manner in which his parents were addressed. The pressure on more bookish types there to fit in was intense. One student I knew tried to run off and join a fishing boat crew in Florida. Didn't work out and he eventually was found and returned.

I don't know any good way to search for missing students as such occurrences were, of course, bad publicity for the schools. But I don't doubt that most schools still have such records. My school's ability to track down missing alumni rivals that of private investigators (hey, they still might become affluent donors/parents...). Some classmates who I know dropped out along the way due to legal or psychiatric reasons have re-appeared as "alumni" despite not graduating, presumably by making donations. The "lost contact with" list is comparatively short.

In general I think you'd have to be an alumnus or parent to search records for a given school but maybe there's another way to go about it.

ETA Bayard Cousins still seems like a good fit, just considering some other options.

RSBM
I agree. Having been in such an environment around that time, there were several students I knew who could have written such a note. There are several prep boarding schools around the southeast. A boarding school might explain the distant manner in which his parents were addressed. The pressure on more bookish types there to fit in was intense. One student I knew tried to run off and join a fishing boat crew in Florida. Didn't work out and he eventually was found and returned.

I don't know any good way to search for missing students as such occurrences were, of course, bad publicity for the schools. But I don't doubt that most schools still have such records. My school's ability to track down missing alumni rivals that of private investigators (hey, they still might become affluent donors/parents...). Some classmates who I know dropped out along the way due to legal or psychiatric reasons have re-appeared as "alumni" despite not graduating, presumably by making donations. The "lost contact with" list is comparatively short.

In general I think you'd have to be an alumnus or parent to search records for a given school but maybe there's another way to go about it.

ETA Bayard Cousins still seems like a good fit, just considering some other options.

I didn't see anything for a missing boy in the yearbooks of 1975 from public schools, Bayard does have a photo for 1975 but in a public school.

Every way I turn, this just screws me further. I did learn one thing, check what you think you know or what is applicable to most people at the door.

o_O

I didn't see anything for a missing boy in the yearbooks of 1975 from public schools, Bayard does have a photo for 1975 but in a public school.

Every way I turn, this just screws me further. I did learn one thing, check what you think you know or what is applicable to most people at the door.

o_O
I'm not sure Bayard would have been in a public school in 1975 unless it was a college, given he was reported to be 22 yo. There were several HS yearbook photos of him posted upthread but there wasn't a year given for them. One un-redacted caption had his name between the numbers 21 and 22, but I think that may have been something other than ages. Maybe @Sweetsbeach can tell us the year.
LA - LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75

I had suggested the prep school possibility more as an alternative to Bayard based on the content of the suicide letter. Most HS graduations would have been held around May 1975, three months after BCJD was found, so I'm not so sure he would have been counted among the graduates that year.

Yes I have read the whole thread of this case, but I have seen that no one has sent the request to enter this UID in Namus to the UID case manager for Louisiana; it is truly amazing how these cases are abandoned and forgotten.

I just sent @Sweetsbeach a pm. I've posted on this thread before. I'm a native of NOLA. I am also baffled at the idea that an educated, sensitive (hanging from a persimmon tree in Plaquemines Parish, plaquemine meaning persimmon in the Choctaw language, a bit of irony there) would be going to the West Bank, predominately middle and working class, then no prep schools nor upscale communities, to spend his last moments, is, well...odd. Dressed in a bed sheet, no, not in South Louisiana, not odd, especially if it was Mardi Gras, and a warm one at that. I've not read the entire thread, just what jumped out to me, an old soul from Trèmé, French Quarter and the 9th Ward.

Mardi Gras ended Feb 11 1975. I'm sorry.

@Curious_in_NC, I got that pic, said he was a senior that year. I was hoping that if it was him, his picture would be in the yearbook even if he was missing. There was a missing persons filed for Bayard somewhere, because the link to the page was posted in this thread and it did not come from namus.

Mardi Gras Dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members