LA LA - Carol Cole, 17, Shreveport, Dec 1980

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is the video from the link in the post above by LuckySeven. (Because sometimes newspages change and video vanishes, I felt it was a good idea to link the video from youtube. I just got this video from a friend who knows with the lady in the interview, so she called me and sent me the youtube link. What an incredible story she has. [video=youtube;lOQq1EXgDcY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lOQq1EXgDcY[/video]

Wow, amazing to make so much progress in such a short time after being such a cold case for so long. I am sure there is so much more to the story and what the lady in the video went thru with a father like John Chesson. I think it is fine to name his name here as it is already in the public domain/public records. (I will just refer to her as Ms.FCA so as not to bring any attention to her. She has been thru a lot as you will see in the summary below. My friend who knows her says she is just the nicest person in the world, a very sweet lady. I told my friend to give her a big hug and tell her how much we appreciate what she has done to help find the identity of this girl and to find the killer).

Mrs. FCA's interest in the case was initially that she and her sibling found the body in January 28, 1981. As she said, it was simply a skeleton in clothing when she and her brother and father found it. Police estimated she had been dead 4-6 weeks. So decades later, the girl is still unidentified and Mrs FCA posted the UID girls info on her FB, asking for information if anyone had any leads. That is why I came across her on FB page with the police sketch of the girl. That is when I discovered she and I have a friend in common. Now decades later, the girl is finally identified as Carol Ann Cole. Mrs. FCA finally gets to see a real pic of the girl (not just the vague sketch or the very badly done bust).

She has a flashback and realizes that she recognizes the girl as a teen her father gave a ride to when FCA was about 13. Her father was so callous that he set his kids up to discover the body, under the ruse of taking them "hunting" which he had never done with them before. He stayed on the road while directing his kids into the woods where he knew the body was. So knowing where he left the body, he sent his poor children to witness that! It wasn't just a twist of fate that the body was found. Her father knew it was there and wanted it found for whatever twisted reason and he didn't mind using his kids to accomplish that.

Now of course, just her identifying the picture of the girl, along with the remembrance that her father gave Carol a ride sometime before she died. While not exactly conclusive forensic proof, it is nevertheless quite compelling. It's pretty interesting circumstantial evidence that can be developed further to ascertain some facts and find more witnesses perhaps. But in the end, the important thing is that Carol's family can finally know what happened, Carol finally has her name and is longer unknown.

Chesson probably wont go to trial is because he is already in jail, serving a life sentence with NO parole. The story of that killing is a bit convoluted , so I took the liberty of trying to sort it all out and summarizing it below. I hope i got the details correct. I will amend them if needed. I found an appeal document about his murder conviction which has the details of that case. http://cases.justia.com/louisiana/third-circuit-court-of-appeal/2003-ka-03-0606.pdf?ts=1406822283

This murder occurred about 16 years after Carol's death. John Chesson was convicted of second degree murder in the death of his estranged wife’s former mother-in-law, Lucindy Thibodeaux . Mrs Lucindy was killed on February 17, 1997 and was 74 years old at the time of her death. So the woman Chesson killed was NOT related to him, but she was his wife'e ex-mom-in-law (aka her daughter's grandmother). Chesson's estranged wife was his 2nd wife (I think) and was not FCA's mom. They were estranged and she has told him her intent to leave the marriage. She also left their home, presumably into hiding where he could not find her. So he also left the home and went to stay with his adult daughters.

From the link above of the appeal of the case:
"According to the State, the defendant (John Chesson) awoke on the morning of February 17th and wrote a letter to his estranged wife. The defendant’s daughters (FCA and her sister) both testified that the defendant informed them that he had dreamed that the Devil told him to kill someone. He then left the house. Due to the statement, the daughters contacted a priest to bless the house. At approximately 9:00 a.m., Mrs. Lucindy Thibodeaux contacted her daughter, (TM), and informed her that the defendant (Chesson) had been to her home, inquiring as to the whereabouts of his wife."

His wife was not there but the visit scared Mrs Lucindy . She was frightened and told him to leave. She was so badly scared that she called her daughter (TM) and told her about the visit . She said she was home alone and her husband was not home. She also spoke with her son (J) and he called the police in Mrs Lucindy's town and also rushed to his mother's house (not sure how far away he was).

From the appeal, linked above
"A patrolman ..., responded to the call, traveling to the... home. When he arrived, he found Mrs. Thibodeaux’s husband sitting outside the front door. Mr. Thibodeaux was shaking and pointed into the house. Inside, Patrolman Granger found Mrs. Thibodeaux, lying in a pool of blood.... (She) had suffered, among other injuries, an eight and one-half inch cut to the throat. "

Neighbors placed Chesson at the scene earlier. He had shading his face so as not to be seen well but he was easily identified. He was quickly caught and was convicted and given life without the possibility of parole. He is in Angola prison.

I live in Shreveport LA and have been following this question. They stated when Bossier Doe was found they contacted a family member of the Cole family in TX at the time to come and identify the body. She stated she couldn't as she did not have a car at the time.
Why did the family not followed up on this? I mean the family could have moved anywhere, but the deceased body remained in the same location under the same law jurisdiction. This seems to strange to me. Any one else have any thoughts?

I found some of the answers to your questions in the comments below this article.http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2015/02/a_familys_three-decade_search.html

A commenter (initials ACS) give her full name and identifies herself as family (from Carol Ann's father side). She discusses that aspect. It only makes me find the lack of concern on the part of the parent who lived in Tx even more disturbing. I swear that I remember reading somehwere that CAC's mom said something like CAC was last in Texas and nowhere near Louisiana. She stated this as part of her reason for not taking any interest in the body in Louisiana. But now we know that was not true. CAC's last call was from SHREVEPORT!! She called her paternal grandmother!

The article states that Carols mother put her in a group home somewhere in Tx but cannot remember where it was except that it was "not near San Antonio", can't remember what it was called or how she found out about this group home which I find odd. Who forgets something like that? This is her daughter, why was there a lack of concern, especially when a body was found and her daughter has NEVER been heard from since a month before the discovery of the unidentified body??

The article also states that Carol's last known call came from Shreveport, LOUISIANA and then the calls stopped.Carol Ann called her paternal grandmother in Kalamazoo, according to her sister Jeanie Phelps. After the grandmother had not heard from Carol for a while, she found the number on a phone bill and called it. Carol Ann's mother said someone answered the call, said Carol Ann had been staying with them but had gone to a party and never returned. The girls had been raised mostly by their grandmother after their parents divorced. Carol Ann was about 8 and Jeannie was about 3. That grandmother provided the only stability that they had.

Jeanie Phelps reported that her paternal grandmother tried for years to find Carol Ann from the time she was missing to 2000 when the grandmother died. An unfortunate house fire in 1982 or 1983 destroyed much of the the evidence and information she had collected in her search for Carol Ann, including the phone bill.

The obvious disconnect of CAC's mom from her and Jeannie is documented in the article. She did not raised them for over a decade. When she finally did take Carol Ann with her to Tx and problems started immediately. Instead of calling Carol Ann's grandmother or any other relatives, she allegedly just dumps Carol Ann in a group home that she does not even remember and shows no further concern, even when a teen girls body shows up and Carol Ann is missing? I'm sorry that does not compute!!

For a bit, I thought that this case was a wrap. I figured that Chesson was very likely involved and that everything would be resolved.
But I'm sorry, I cannot get over the mom's utter disinterest in finding CAC and the fact that her disinterest to the police, along with whatever she told them that caused them to rule Carol Ann out as a possibility sticks. What is she hiding?

A comment by one of the relatives reveals that CAC wrote to an aunt and said that she and her mom both were interested in the same man but even that is odd. Just how old would this guy have been? If he was CAC's mom's age, then her mom should have protected her daughter from a pedophile. If the guy was closer to CAC's age then why would the mom be jealous of him. Odd, odd, odd!!!

I thought most of questions would be answered but as it turn out, now I have even more.

You may have come across references to the New Bethany Home for Girls in Arcadia, Louisiana and the speculation whether Carol Ann had been there. It seems odd that she was placed in a group home by her mom but that her mom did not remember where it was, the name of it or anything which is odd.

This article has a pic of some girls from the bethany home as they sit in church and sing. The article points out the girl in the first row and wonders if there is some resemblance. Could THIS pic prove that Carol Ann was at the new bethany home. http://thewartburgwatch.com/2015/03/06/bossier-doe-mystery-solved-dna-proves-shes-carol-ann-cole/

Also:
http://woodtv.com/investigative-sto...n-could-prompt-charges-in-bossier-doe-murder/

Interesting comments by MJ (in the older comments in the first few days after the article was published). The name is familiar and the details sound like they are privy to details.

Detectives need help finding Carol Ann Cole's killer

[video]http://www.ksla.com/clip/11389064/detectives-need-help-finding-carol-ann-coles-killer[/video]

BENTON, LA (KSLA) -
Just over a month after Bossier Parish detectives the woman they named as "Bossier Doe" for the last 34 years, authorities identified the young woman as Carol Ann Cole. Social media helped identify Cole and now, detectives are hoping social media will also help them find who killed her.

Additional Links
With "Bossier Doe" identified, investigators focus on finding killer
Bossier Sheriff: Bossier Doe identified
"We are, every single day, running down leads on who could have killed her," said Lt. Shannon Mack, with Bossier Sheriff's Office.

Tuesday, Bossier Sheriff's detectives held a press conference asking anyone who might remember seeing Carol Ann Cole, or even think they remember seeing her, to contact them with any possibly information they may have.

Detectives were able to identify Carol Ann 34 years after her body was found, through DNA testing with the help of social media.

Detectives have spoken with Frances Aucoin, the daughter of hunter John Chesson, who found Cole's body in 1981. She and investigators have long suspected Chesson of possibly being involved in the young girl's murder.

Chesson is currently serving a life sentence at the David Wade Correctional Center for the murder of an elderly woman in the late 90's.

"He's definitely a person of interest. I can't at this point scoot him over to he's suspect number one, because we do have other avenues to go down. But he's definitely not dropping off the list any time soon," said Lt. Mack.

When asked if detectives had any other suspects, Mack responded, "we have some, but we can't really talk about those."

Detectives say Chesson often went to the scrap yard on McNeil street in downtown Shreveport. They are hoping anyone who used to work there and remembers him or his daughter, will come forward and talk with them.

"She's been unidentified for so long, that I think that she deserves a place where everybody can go and see her name, and know that she's identified. She's also going to put 'Bossier Doe' on the headstone as well," said Mack.

The sister of Carol Ann Cole, or "Bossier Doe," is still trying to raise funds to give her a proper memorial service and headstone.

Bossier Sheriff's detectives say she has raised about $2,000 from a ******** account. They say she wants friends and family, and some bossier sheriff officers to go up for the memorial.

Copyright 2015 KSLA. All rights reserved.

"Facebook post helps solve 34-year mystery"

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2015/04/23/facebook-post-helps-solve-year-mystery/26278003/

For 34 years, detectives didn't know the identity of a body found in the Louisiana woods.

Six days after creating a Facebook page in February, they had the answer.

A woman who saw a composite drawing of the victim on the Bossier Doe page matched it to a missing person photo posted on Craigslist by a friend of a Michigan family.

"It's utterly amazing," Lt. Bill Davis of the Bossier Parish Sheriff's Office said about the fluke discovery. "There's not a whole lot more to say about it."

Carol Ann Cole laid to rest

Phelps said the developments in the past few months have been "miraculous" but emotionally taxing.

She spent months raising money for a funeral and she said she was "very grateful" for the more than 60 family members and friends who gathered Thursday for her sister's committal.

Wearing black, gold and silver ribbons, family members released 17 balloons into the air, representing Cole's age when she was killed. Family and friends, some of whom knew her well and others who did not, hugged and cried together remembering the girl who they described as loving and full of joy.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2015/06/carol_ann_cole_laid_to_rest_34.html

RIP Carol Ann Cole
:rose:

Fresh perspectives, persistent family members and the use of social media are all combining to help detectives work toward solving three cases that continue to beg for justice in Bossier Parish.

Local detectives are using their hard-boiled tenacity and innovative techniques to bring closure to families still waiting for answers.

A body identified after 34 years.
A man who has been missing for a decade.
And a woman murdered in cold blood.

These are three cases the men and women of the Bossier Parish Sheriff's office intend to solve.

The Bossier Doe case: Carol Ann Cole
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/stor...ation-help-solve-bossier-cold-cases/89834990/

Carol Ann Put In Home: Is Justice Delayed Justice At All For Carol Ann Cole?

September 27, 2016 by Suzanne Calulu

Once I started looking at how Carol Ann Cole ended up in a troubled teen home I kept running into contradictory information and I was unable to determine with any degree of certainty if the state of Texas did an intake through CPS or DHS because of a possible issue of neglect or abuse, or if Carol was surrendered to the state or if she might have run afoul of the law. Many states seal records on juveniles in the system, and something so far back is likely have been destroyed to protect the privacy of the teens aged out of the system.

What is known is confusing. What is clear is that Carol Ann’s mother Sue Cole told Crimewatch Daily that she’d put Carol Ann in drug rehab in Austin, Texas. She says that Carol Ann started hanging out with the wrong crowd, sneaking out of the house at all hours of the day and night and using drugs. She worried that Carol Ann was going to get into trouble, so she made the decision to try and stop the troubling behaviors before they became a life style for the teen.

More About Those Troubled Teen Homes: Is Justice Delayed Justice At All For Carol Ann Cole?

by Suzanne Titkemeyer

Last week we looked at the possibility that Lester Roloff and his Roloff Homes might have been connected to one of the troubled teen facilities where Carol Ann Cole was likely at. Today we’re going to finish up with the connection between Roloff and the Texas Youth Commission.

But first let me say this: People have emailed me, or messaged me or a few have commented various places that have shared what I’ve written about the murder of Carol Ann trying to debunk a lot of what I’d written. Here’s the thing, the things I’ve written come directly from easily available documents anyone with Google can find, I’ve not named a killer, I’ve not definitively come up with a motive, a method or anything else, I’ve just started discussing possibilities and labeled them as such, possibilities. I have to wonder why even talking about the fact of ‘could haves’ is so threatening and frightening to people? It’s what good journalists and investigators do, look at all the possibilities. Another interesting assumption is I keep being told that by writing about this I’m making people believe this is a solved case. Again, no way! I’m only writing about it because it’s unsolved, a huge mystery even to this day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hobo1977
Back